Mark Dantonio retiring

MSU is going to be in a rough spot regardless of who takes over so Tucker will have his hands full over there.

Gopher implications:

2020... how will MSU's offensive and defensive philosophy change and will this be a tougher game than if Dantonio had stayed another year?

2021-2022... Hopefully Colorado makes a bad hire and nosedives in time to drop a couple to the Gophers.

I'd actually prefer that Colorado is in better shape for our matchups. They had a really good recruiting class this year, so hopefully they hold onto most of it.

ya, definitely has the resume of MSU’s 5th choice. Good luck.

At worst he was their second choice behind Fickell. He's the other guy the AD hopped on a plane to go interview, before he initially turned them down. Detroit/Lansing papers are reporting Tucker actually was their first choice.

At worst he was their second choice behind Fickell. He's the other guy the AD hopped on a plane to go interview, before he initially turned them down. Detroit/Lansing papers are reporting Tucker actually was their first choice.

He has a very impressive resume as an assistant coach even if his two short head coaching stints have been underwhelming. Biggest question with him would be how committed he is to staying in the college game vs. jumping back into the NFL.

Regardless, with signing day over and done with, 2020 will likely be a rough year for MSU as he will be forced to work with what they have with very little ability to make any significant roster changes or even start to bring in guys that fit his style.

He has a very impressive resume as an assistant coach even if his two short head coaching stints have been underwhelming. Biggest question with him would be how committed he is to staying in the college game vs. jumping back into the NFL.

Regardless, with signing day over and done with, 2020 will likely be a rough year for MSU as he will be forced to work with what they have with very little ability to make any significant roster changes or even start to bring in guys that fit his style.

His interim time at Jacksonville may be "underwhelming" 2-3, but how much can you do with pieces in place? Furthermore, I'd argue 2-3 is pretty solid given he took over a team that was 3-8 prior to his short run.

His interim time at Jacksonville may be "underwhelming" 2-3, but how much can you do with pieces in place? Furthermore, I'd argue 2-3 is pretty solid given he took over a team that was 3-8 prior to his short run.

To be clear, I know little to nothing about his background other then the wikipedia stuff I just read about him after he was hired. He has very little head coaching experience but has held a number of other high profile positions with NFL and College teams.

No clue how he will do at MSU or how committed he will be to sticking around for an extended period of time. But I do think 2020 is likely to be a pretty rough transition year for them given the timing of when everything went down.

If that’s the case, I’m sure he was offered a small raise, and Tucker said thanks but no thanks.

Then MSU learned it’s the middle of February and realized they have to have someone coach spring ball, so they go back to the guy who took a 2018 5-7 Colorado to *checks notes* 5-7 with a fat raise in hand. Textbook panic hire.

He’ll be fired in 3 years to the delight of Colorado fans and then they can do a real coaching search.

Fortunately we get to play them every year for the next 6 years:cool:. Couldn’t come at a better time.

If that’s the case, I’m sure he was offered a small raise, and Tucker said thanks but no thanks.

Then MSU learned it’s the middle of February and realized they have to have someone coach spring ball, so they go back to the guy who took a 2018 5-7 Colorado to *checks notes* 5-7 with a fat raise in hand. Textbook panic hire.

He’ll be fired in 3 years to the delight of Colorado fans and then they can do a real coaching search.

Fortunately we get to play them every year for the next 6 years:cool:. Couldn’t come at a better time.
Much better chance the Gophers will have to conduct a coaching search in the next 3 years than Michigan State.

MSU is going to be in a rough spot regardless of who takes over so Tucker will have his hands full over there.

Gopher implications:

2020... how will MSU's offensive and defensive philosophy change and will this be a tougher game than if Dantonio had stayed another year?

2021-2022... Hopefully Colorado makes a bad hire and nosedives in time to drop a couple to the Gophers.
Or they're really good but the Gophers still beat them because they're better.

So I take it you think Fleck will leave for another school?
I didn’t say that. But I do think that is more likely to happen in 3 years than Tucker getting fired. PJ’s number is hot and has a chance to get much hotter in next couple years.

Mel Tucker next head coach. Announcement tonight on BTN.

Who knew?
Found it on the Michigan State Board. At the time I was on it, they were pretty calm about it meaning no emotions one way or another if it was a good hire.

MSU is seriously over paying.

5.5 a year for 6 years....

Given the mess their athletic department is in right now they probably felt they had to overpay to get the guy they wanted. Lot of money to throw at a guy with no real head coaching track record to speak of.

Overpaying...check this out....MSU offered millionish, Kentucky countered, MSU countered the counter.

https://www.theonlycolors.com/2020/...state-football-coaching-staff-changes-tracker

One target that Tucker is reportedly after is Vince Marrow, Kentucky’s associate head coach/ tight end coach/recruiting coordinator. Marrow is an Ohio native who is a top-notch recruiter, especially in the Midwest. MSU is reportedly offering Marrow enough money to make him one of the highest paid non-coordinator assistants in the entire country (somewhere near $1 million annually). It also appears that Kentucky has counter-offered Marrow with an “essentially equivalent” offer. Stay tuned.

Update: Tucker and Michigan State aren’t here to play any games:

Overpaying...check this out....MSU offered millionish, Kentucky countered, MSU countered the counter.

https://www.theonlycolors.com/2020/...state-football-coaching-staff-changes-tracker

One target that Tucker is reportedly after is Vince Marrow, Kentucky’s associate head coach/ tight end coach/recruiting coordinator. Marrow is an Ohio native who is a top-notch recruiter, especially in the Midwest. MSU is reportedly offering Marrow enough money to make him one of the highest paid non-coordinator assistants in the entire country (somewhere near $1 million annually). It also appears that Kentucky has counter-offered Marrow with an “essentially equivalent” offer. Stay tuned.

Update: Tucker and Michigan State aren’t here to play any games:

sounds like Tucker went hard after Marcus Freeman, DC at Cinci (former Buckeye star lb), and he turned them down as well.

the salary pool for his assistants in East Lansing is supposed to be $6 million...Gophers are like $3.8 million according to Burns at MN 247...payscale for assistants will escalate quickly if MSU sets the bar that high...Harbaugh and Michigan have been throwing money at coaches too for a few years now...I think they had three assistants over a million

Tucker did a radio tour and met with two donor groups all the time saying he was committed to Colorado while pursuing MSU. I am not a CU fan, but Drew is 100% right, Tucker is a liar
Just coach speak.

The way it sounds like Tucker handled his departure from Colorado should provide every B10 coach all they need when recruiting versus MSU in terms of integrity.

Mel Tucker-wasn't he on Hee Haw? Just kidding. The name sounds like he would have been.

Top Bottom