Mark Dantonio retiring

LOL, I just heard a talking head on ESPN mention PJ Fleck. Granted, he said he doesn't see that happening, but you could make a drinking game out of whenever PJ gets mentioned regarding a coaching vacancy.

lol....I can't see any scenario that Fleck would want to give up what he has here to go to MSU right now.

Fleck ain't going anywhere, EVER. He'll retire from UMn sometime around 2060 with 7 or 8 Natl Titles to his name, maybe more?
If PJ wins one Natty as Gopher’s coach they’ll change the license plates to read Row the Boat

I wonder if Terry Lockett may reconsider his commitment to MSU?

Beyond alleged according to ESPN story.

"Blackwell claimed in earlier filings for the same lawsuit that Dantonio ignored warning signs from his assistants in order to bring another recruit with a history of sexual violence to campus. That player, former defensive end Auston Robertson, was charged with sexually assaulting a teammate's girlfriend less than a year after he arrived on campus and is serving time in state prison."

I think the crux was who knew what when. Blackwell was fired so obvious axe to grind.

The problem with a lot of thes sorts of situations is whether rumblings of trouble in high school but no police record should disqualify someone from FBS scholarship. IIRC this kid wasn’t arrested till he was already on campus. Do high schoolers get second chances or benefit of doubt?

The Michigan situation is too much like the Iowa situation: two schools, one state, one school is always second choice, etc. Michigan State has always had these "how do you recruit" issues floating around since Duffy Daughty (sp?). I am never surprized when things blow up there.
How did mMSU blow up? dantonio won 114 games in 13 seasons and was 8-5 against Michigan. He had some discipline and off the field problems. But we could only hope for as good a run as dantonio and msu had past 13 seasons.

Fleck to Michigan State rumors in 5... 4... 3...

I checked out ESPN's early take on candidates expecting to see PJF #1, with the Michigan connection and the perception of the Gopher job. Not listed. I take that as a sign of respect that people are starting to see the Minnesota job as a really good one now that the team is winning and the program is in good health. Plus he's got a big buyout for the time being.

A realistic option for Michigan State is Luke Fickell. He’d bolt Cincinnati for Michigan State in a nanosecond. Michigan State would like to target Matt Campbell, but it’s not going to happen.

Jim Leonard, Badgers DC, is a rising young coach, that could be a possibility. Or they may go the NFL route.

Harbaugh last seen dancing in the streets.

A realistic option for Michigan State is Luke Fickell. He’d bolt Cincinnati for Michigan State in a nanosecond. Michigan State would like to target Matt Campbell, but it’s not going to happen.

Jim Leonard, Badgers DC, is a rising young coach, that could be a possibility. Or they may go the NFL route.
Narduzzi is another name that's being floated around a bit.

I think the crux was who knew what when. Blackwell was fired so obvious axe to grind.

The problem with a lot of thes sorts of situations is whether rumblings of trouble in high school but no police record should disqualify someone from FBS scholarship. IIRC this kid wasn’t arrested till he was already on campus. Do high schoolers get second chances or benefit of doubt?

Figured you'd be dying on your usual hill. From SI.

"Before he signed with Michigan State, Robertson had previous sexual misconduct claims against him in his home state of Indiana and had been arrested on charges of vandalism. He was also charged with misdemeanor battery during his senior year of high school after police said he "rubbed and grabbed" a female classmate's groin against her will in the school's lobby. The female student told police Robertson had also harassed or touched her inappropriately on two other occasions. He had been kicked off his high school football team and was banned from his high school's campus during his senior year while Michigan State was recruiting him. According to Blackwell, multiple staff members at Robertson's high school, including his principal and his former football coach, warned the program about Roberston's history.
Police reports and court documents show that Robertson was involved in a string of incidents in which he was accused of sexual violence and two forceful rape attempts during his high school years but he was not charged with crimes in any of those cases."

Nope, just someone that is into details and I admit I’m not up to speed on this particular case. Thanks for posting that. He was certainly covered in red flags/allegations.

Currently we recognize 15 year olds as juveniles and treat them differently in a legal sense. Tangentially, the same senator that introduced the NCAA NLI legislation in CA (Nancy Skinner) has introduced a law extending the juvenile definition to age 20 with the rationale of brain development/impulse control not fully developing until the early 20s (and never in some).

So we seem to have people at odds on what to do with juveniles - brand them with a scarlet letter for life? Or allow them to enter a “normal” adult trajectory once they come of age and have a chance at redemption.

Is the NFL aware criminals should be kicked off the team?

Narduzzi is another name that's being floated around a bit.
Pat Schumur is also a strong possibility. Just took the Denver OC job, but he’s a Mich St grad and high profile.

I scanned twitter to see what the general reaction is to “Fleck to MSU” suggestions. The vast majority aren’t taking it seriously. They either view it as a lateral move, or a downgrade. I don’t even think many MSU fans consider it a realistic possibility. We’ve come a long way in the last few years.

I scanned twitter to see what the general reaction is to “Fleck to MSU” suggestions. The vast majority aren’t taking it seriously. They either view it as a lateral move, or a downgrade. I don’t even think many MSU fans consider it a realistic possibility. We’ve come a long way in the last few years.

When we first started out 6-0, 7-0, 8-0 etc., there was a ton of talk about Fleck to MSU, he was their #1 guy along with Campbell. Now that we actually finished 11-2 and #10 in the AP, there is very little talk on their forum.

I've always maintained that if a coach got us to the point where another school would want to hire them away then the coach wouldn't need to leave as we'd already be in just as favorable as a position as the team that wants to hire our coach. That ended up being true with FSU as they inquired about Fleck and looks to be true with MSU as well.

Dantonio had a really good run on the field. I was surprised though to learn that he was their winningest coach in the history of their program. They have had some pretty good teams historically but I guess not for an extended stretch.

I bet I'm right! I don't believe Fleck would have interest and I don't think it would be a good move for him, and I certainly don't think it would happen. But I didn't post that based on what I think. I simply suggested someone will bring it up.
And you did!

And Fleck to MSU was brought up this morning on Chicago radio as a great option. Only a suggestion from them and they considered it a step up job.

I hope they hire former Lions and 49ers HC Steve Mariucci of NFL Network and re-unite him with Tom Izzo -- both high school classmates from my hometown.

And you did!
As did ESPN and KFAN. I had no contact with either organization. I just knew, based on history, that this would pop up and of course it did. After calling it out (with no belief Fleck would actually go to Michigan State), I've had several people either say it won't come up or provide me reasons why it won't happen. I of course don't need that either because I agree... it would make no sense for Fleck to leave the Gophers for the Michigan State job. Suggesting it would come up (which it of course did, multiple times via multiple sources) doesn't mean I am saying the suggestion or rumor has any merit.

MSU is not only a can of worms, its a can of snakes situation. Many unknowns there. I wouldn't go there until the situation is well under control. Too many snakes lurking.

MSU is not only a can of worms, its a can of snakes situation. Many unknowns there. I wouldn't go there until the situation is well under control. Too many snakes lurking.
I prefer "snakes on a plane situation".

Top Bottom