Mark Dantonio retiring

There has been a LOT of speculation about this. MSU went south in a hurry and as their all time best coach he was a difficult guy to fire and although all signs pointed toward he himself not being happy, there was soooooo much money still left on his contract that it had everyone painted into a corner.

This timing is weird, though.

CLrKyVwUsAAedrv.jpg

Yeah timing is very weird. Gonna hire someone within?

Have to wonder how much of this was due to internal heat following the controversies that have surrounded his program the last couple years. Definitely strange timing. Maybe he was just over dealing with all the shit/stress

There will be another shoe to drop. He had a great run but he sure seemed miserable the last couple of years. Seems like the entire athletic department is a bit of a slime pit. I wonder if Izzo is looking at his options?

Fleck to Michigan State rumors in 5... 4... 3...

Yeah timing is very weird. Gonna hire someone within?

Timing seems very strange but not surprised by this at all. It felt like his time at MSU was coming to an end. Will be interesting to see if they have the successor on staff already or if they will have to go hunting.

The majority of their recruiting class signed during the early signing period.

I don't even think that would be a great step up for Fleck
I don't think it would be a step up at all, and I don't think Fleck would leave MN for MSU. I'm just saying there will be rumors. MSU athletics in general is a current dumpster fire, and any new FB coach would be stuck trying to leap frog OSU, Mich, and PSU. Dantonio benefited from pretty much only having to worry about OSU during his good years.

Pretty sure you are wrong
I bet I'm right! I don't believe Fleck would have interest and I don't think it would be a good move for him, and I certainly don't think it would happen. But I didn't post that based on what I think. I simply suggested someone will bring it up.

There has been a LOT of speculation about this. MSU went south in a hurry and as their all time best coach he was a difficult guy to fire and although all signs pointed toward he himself not being happy, there was soooooo much money still left on his contract that it had everyone painted into a corner.

This timing is weird, though.

Considering he received a $4.3 million bonus on January 15, maybe this was his plan all along.

The Michigan situation is too much like the Iowa situation: two schools, one state, one school is always second choice, etc. Michigan State has always had these "how do you recruit" issues floating around since Duffy Daughty (sp?). I am never surprized when things blow up there.

He seemed burned out the last 2-3 years. On occasion it becomes time to hang it up whether due to family obligations, physical or mental ailments, or disillusionment and disagreement with workplace politics and/or management. Dealing with the media circus regarding the staff recruitment of alleged criminals or accused probably didn’t help. Maybe he takes a break and shows up someplace else in a couple years with a fresh start.

Here are some of the allegations:
Blackwell's lawyers allege:

►Dantonio orchestrated employment for the parents of two MSU football players, with mega-donor Bob Skandalaris, whose name is on the football facility.

►Dantonio had Blackwell accompany him on a Metro Detroit home visit of an unnamed five-star recruit, when Blackwell, in his role as director of college advancement and performance, wasn't authorized to conduct off-campus visits.

He seemed burned out the last 2-3 years. On occasion it becomes time to hang it up whether due to family obligations, physical or mental ailments, or disillusionment and disagreement with workplace politics and/or management. Dealing with the media circus regarding the staff recruitment of alleged criminals or accused probably didn’t help. Maybe he takes a break and shows up someplace else in a couple years with a fresh start.

Beyond alleged according to ESPN story.

"Blackwell claimed in earlier filings for the same lawsuit that Dantonio ignored warning signs from his assistants in order to bring another recruit with a history of sexual violence to campus. That player, former defensive end Auston Robertson, was charged with sexually assaulting a teammate's girlfriend less than a year after he arrived on campus and is serving time in state prison."

The Road to 12-0 maybe just got a little easier...with some NCAA clouds hanging over, a guy like Fickell or the former dc now at Pitt may be hesitant to make the jump....good luck to a new guy putting together his ideal staff for 2020 on Feb. 4. If an interim guy, he might be challenged getting all the guys he wants to stick around. Local ties with a Salem and Tressel on staff, and Tim Allen as DOFO. Some players may look to transfer as well (already had a bunch in portal).

Hey, none of this stuff has anything to do with the real reason that was announced on ESPN for Dantonio stepping back from the head coaching job: he wants to spend more time with his family.

Hey, none of this stuff has anything to do with the real reason that was announced on ESPN for Dantonio stepping back from the head coaching job: he wants to spend more time with his family.

There's something about the workaholic types that seem to love using that line after they have has spent much of their life working a job where you sacrifice an unusually high amount of time with your family for work....

His health issues a few years ago may have a lot to do with his decision.

LOL, I just heard a talking head on ESPN mention PJ Fleck. Granted, he said he doesn't see that happening, but you could make a drinking game out of whenever PJ gets mentioned regarding a coaching vacancy.

LOL, I just heard a talking head on ESPN mention PJ Fleck. Granted, he said he doesn't see that happening, but you could make a drinking game out of whenever PJ gets mentioned regarding a coaching vacancy.

The "not gonna happen but mentioned" game is a good game to play.

Means we're doing gud.

Not many people would have predicted the Minnesota HC job would be a better job than the Michigan State job in 2020, but it is.

Fleck ain't going anywhere, EVER. He'll retire from UMn sometime around 2060 with 7 or 8 Natl Titles to his name, maybe more?

Top Bottom