Mark Dantonio retiring

A flow chart for "Will there be PJ Fleck Rumors?:

Is the job in the Power 5?

If No: No Rumors.

If Yes: Is the job better than Rutgers?

If No: No rumors.

If Yes: Rumors are coming.

Just gotta find someone to rip up the paperwork like in Starship Troopers right?
What's Nancy Pelosi doing today? :D

I tried to crank up a friend of mine who's way over worried about Fleck leaving by suggesting he'd go to MSU (I absolutely don't believe this), but I don't think it worked.

You mean enter the transfer portal? He already signed.
Actually, he might be able to sign elsewhere if he chooses (I'm assuming this would be equivalent to "summer"):

A limited exception does exist to allow a first-time incoming student-athlete (i.e., a true freshman) to compete the first year at a new school if a head coaching change occurred during the summer before the student’s first fall semester at the original school.

Actually, he might be able to sign elsewhere if he chooses (I'm assuming this would be equivalent to "summer"):

Sweet. Hope it all works out for him.

Considering ALL of the factors, a move by Fleck specifically, a guy with baggage I'll call it, meaning his RTB culture thing, to a place like MSU, from Minnesota, would be ABSOLUTELY RETARDED!!!

What on earth would MSU be able to offer Fleck that Minnesota does not, RIGHT NOW? Or ever, for that matter?

Recruiting situation? Michigan fans continually complain that the state of Michigan doesn't produce enough top notch recruits, and when you throw in that you have to share them with a blue blood like Michigan, along with maybe WMU on a rare occasion, well, I don't think their situation is better than UMn's, as we have our state all to ourselves.

Location? What shitty little town in MSU located in? Seriously, I don't even know. UM is in Ann Arbor, where is CowPie St U located? I guess if you prefer a small shitty college town over a sparkling metropolis like Mpls-St Paul, then hey, have at it, but I know there are plenty of recruits out there who would prefer a hip big city. And Fleck and his family, I'd bet a full paycheck that he loves it here and prefers it to any other living situation out there. I truly believe this is his #1 favorite place he'd want to live if he could move the school anywhere he wanted.

Facilities? With our new Practice Facility and Student Village, we have to have better facilities than MSU, right?

Weather? lol Even this tips in our favor as we have all those skyways. Do MSU students have to go outside to get from one building to another? Because no way the weather there isn't almost as cold as it is here.

Money available for whatever? UMn ranks just fine in this regard, vs any school out there minus a few of the biggest bluebloods. But MSU? please, give me a break. If any MSU people going to spend any money it would be towards their BB program as bb is a sport they were able to best UM at, football, not so much. Dantonio specifically did do well vs Michigan, but he also came in at the best time for that as Michigan suffered through 2-3 less than spectacular coaches recently. But one single Big Ten Title and money would pop up magically out of nowhere as there are a ton of UMn alum out there, and Gopher fans who have just been waiting for the sleeping giant to wake up before otherwise "wasting their money". Maybe even Sanford might kiss and make up with the U?

Roster health? MSU is a mess right now, he'd have to start all over, and his RTB culture thing might actually work there, and in fact it is probably what MSU needs right now, but MSU's needs don't matter to Fleck right now. If MSU was willing to give him 10 mil a year, maybe he'd think about it, MAYBE? But we all know MSU can't afford to pony up that much cash. They'd be better served to find some young Fleck disciple up and coming coach they could afford and hope the best of. My guess they'll go with someone like Fickle, but honestly, if I was Fickle, I'd rather stay at UC and wait for a better offer. UC's not the worst place to be.

Expectation level/level of Pressure from fans/admin/etc.? Even now, I'd bet the expectations at MSU would be higher with more pressure to succeed right away than they are here at Minnesota. Could change in a year or two, but right now, with the mess they have going on there, Fleck would be just setting himself up to fail and then getting fired for it, and then his concept/idea would lose it's luster. Right now he's shining brightly and has the perfect set up here for further success.

What else is there?

One more thing. Fleck's whole RTB/Culture thing? It will only work if people BELIEVE that Fleck is sincere and telling the truth. His leaving WVU may have felt like a betrayal to some diehard WVU fans, but like how we understood Holtz's leaving for ND and I never felt it was a betrayal. Had he left UMn to go to Arkansas or Texas Tech or West Virginia or some bs like that, then sure. I'm thinking Fleck NEEDS to play this situation here at Minnesota out until he accomplishes his goal of winning a Natl Title here, or figuring out for sure it's impossible, and then getting an obviously better offer, like taking over for Saban at Bama, or getting 10 mil a year to coach USC, or maybe going to Notre Dame? Maybe? Otherwise, if he left Minnesota now, or after one more year, people are going to start questioning his sincerity and especially if he moved to somewhere like MSU, where 3-4 years later there are still lots of better options out there for him to upgrade to. He has to stick it out here until he can claim goal reached(and then why leave?), or a truly final destination job comes up, and I can only think of maybe 3-5 jobs even I could understand(ND, USC, Bama, Clemson, Washington maybe? (Nicer weather and city than SEC programs)) Any others? None that I can think of.

I'm sorry, if people aren't talking about it much, it's because the majority of people are not THAT stupid, and the ones who are talking about it, just haven't given it much thought yet.

We are safe. I can't think of a single program out there that would give Fleck more than he can get here. Not one. He's a midwestern guy, so moving to Alabama or South Carolina probably are not that tempting. August workouts in Alabama? Fine for southern raised players, but a midwestern raised coach? Financial resources here are catching up with all the non-blue bloods out there, and closing in on the blue bloods, too. With the internet, our being located so far from most of the best recruits is becoming less and less of a factor as every year goes by. Add to that the lowing cost of fuel because of America becoming energy self suffient. The blue bloods who think southern schools will always have a recruiting advantage are blind to this right now. The B1G Network money will keep us in the game for a very long time. SEC may always have an edge, but that's when we just need to be smarter than them, and we all know B1G Country is far more intelligent than SEC country is, lol.

Last edited:

Burns says....

“Did Michigan State have some preliminary interest in Fleck? Yes.

Did Fleck reciprocate? No.

He's happy at Minnesota.”

I see Michigan St and Iowa as roughly I the same boat. Lot of history of doing “well”, but not “exceptional”. Both average in the 70s thousands per bone game.

I think it would take a helmet school for Fleck to have serious interest.

Apparently, nobody wants to walk into that dumpster fire right now.

Apparently, nobody wants to walk into that dumpster fire right now.

The timing of Dantonio retiring really hosed them. They may have to band-aid things for a year with an interim coach like Mike Tressell, clean house internally, and then search again after the 2020 season.

They have some serious issues to deal with out there and given that the job is in the Big Ten East it is going to be a tough sell.

Honestly Michigan State is at best the 4th best job in a division with a clear 1, 2, 3
If rich rod and Hoke weren’t bad at the same time Tressel and JoePa got in trouble the first 9 years of Dantonio may have looked like the last 4.
In the past four years Dantonio 27-24 (17-19).

John L Smith 22-26 (12-20)
Bobby Williams 16-17 (6-15)
Nick Saban 34-24-1 (23-16-1)
George Perles 68-67-4 (53-42-4)

Historically post 1982 they are a slightly over .500 program.

With this coach change this late, 2020 would be a fine season to have MSU on your schedule.

< Checks 2020 schedule >

October 31 - Minnesota at Michigan State

Dantonio had a really good run on the field. I was surprised though to learn that he was their winningest coach in the history of their program. They have had some pretty good teams historically but I guess not for an extended stretch.
Made me remember John L Smith.

Mel Tucker to MSU. They reportedly more than doubled his salary ($2.7 million at Colorado) and his assistant coach salary pool.

Sounds like more leverage for PJ to get another big raise this year.

Word has it Mel Tucker from Colorado took the MSU job..... just days after tweeting:

“While I am flattered to be considered for the HC job @MSU_football , I am committed to @CUBuffsFootball for #TheBuild of our program, its great athletes, coaches & supporters. #UnfinishedBusiness #GoBuffs We are #Relentless #Culture #TheBuild”

Solid hire for MSU, with success Tucker will be consistently in the NFL rumor mill.

ya, definitely has the resume of MSU’s 5th choice. Good luck.

MSU is going to be in a rough spot regardless of who takes over so Tucker will have his hands full over there.

Gopher implications:

2020... how will MSU's offensive and defensive philosophy change and will this be a tougher game than if Dantonio had stayed another year?

2021-2022... Hopefully Colorado makes a bad hire and nosedives in time to drop a couple to the Gophers.

Last edited:

Right...? Paying Tucker twice his Colorado salary after only a year there and no other HC experience? MSU must be desperate.

Rumors was that Dantonio wanted to coach one more year then retire and wanted to pick his successor ... then found out MSU fired up a search committee and Dantonio bolted.

The CU football forums are tough to read. They were totally blindsided by the way Tucker handled this.

The CU football forums are tough to read. They were totally blindsided by the way Tucker handled this.

Word has it his agent declined to even hear a counter offer from CO.

That's a kick in the pants too.

MSU is going to be in a rough spot regardless of who takes over so Tucker will have his hands full over there.

Gopher implications:

2020... how will MSU's offensive and defensive philosophy change and will this be a tougher game than if Dantonio had stayed another year?

2021-2022... Hopefully Colorado makes a bad hire and nosedives in time to drop a couple to the Gophers.

We play MSU pretty late in the year so we should have a pretty good handle on what they are doing by the time that game roles around. On the surface this feels like a year where MSU is really going to struggle but you never know until the games start being played.

As for the future matchups with Colorado, they have not been very good for a while now and in 2020 they will have their third new head coach in the last 3 years which has to have a pretty significant negative impact on the program. Tough enough to start over with a new coach but to go from MacIntyre in 2018 to Tucker in 2019 to ? in 2020 is going to set the program back quite a bit and take some time to recover from.

In both cases I think these current developments bode well for the Gophers and their matchups with those respective teams in the near future.

I went to Mel Tucker’s Wikipedia page, which hasn’t been updated yet, but they have him and Colorado still in the Big 12 conference. Kind of embarrassing for the Colorado media/marketing department.

Top Bottom