Malik Smith a Gopher!!!

Look at you people...getting all lathered up over an FIU guard. Just shows where this program is at.

LMFAO, this is exactly the point, if our terrible coach that we fired wouldn't have left us such a sh!tty roster we wouldn't be happy about this. But with Tubby's stellar recruiting, a guy like Smith will be a valuable contributor next year. Way to sh!t all over yourself on that one.

not to mention the fact that he played 33 mns a game and grabbed only 2.7 boards, 1 steal and 1.3 assists despite being on the court a ton. He did manage to have 2.1 turnovers per game so that basically washes out the 1 steal and 1 assist he got. His fg% would've been worse than everyone last year sans Oto, Welch and Wally, the first 2 we all moaned about because they were shooting so terribly. Everyone else was over 40% which is a big jump from 36%. Nothing about those numbers for a 6'2" guard at FIU say he should be playing in the B10 this year. Hope he can play and will cheer for the guy but this to me looks more like depth than a difference maker.

Agreed, but I think he'll contribute just as much as Coleman would have. He is a better shooter than Coleman, that is for sure.

Look at you people...getting all lathered up over an FIU guard. Just shows where this program is at.

Parski -1
I am not cheering for Joe to leave and I wish him well, but I think we will be getting a tougher player and better shooter. If a guard cannot shoot from outside, he hopefully can be either a shut down defender or have the ability to penetrate.

Agreed, but I think he'll contribute just as much as Coleman would have. He is a better shooter than Coleman, that is for sure.

I'm still a bit shocked that Coleman would want out. He was about to be part of a much better style of play with Tubby gone. Tubby ball didn't help Coleman at all.

I'm still a bit shocked that Coleman would want out. He was about to be part of a much better style of play with Tubby gone. Tubby ball didn't help Coleman at all.

Totally agree. An uptempo, pressure game is much more suited to Joe. But it is his request and I will respect that.

Didn't read any articles about this. Wouldn't another possibility be that he was "encouraged to seek other options" and gets to save face by saying it was his idea?

Didn't read any articles about this. Wouldn't another possibility be that he was "encouraged to seek other options" and gets to save face by saying it was his idea?

Same question here.

I don't get why so many people think Joe would be such a great fit for Pitino's system. He's a poor defender, can't dribble and can't shoot from the outside.

Same question here.

I don't get why so many people think Joe would be such a great fit for Pitino's system. He's a poor defender, can't dribble and can't shoot from the outside.

I don't get it either. Pitino has mentioned pick and rolls and 3 point shots being the bulk of his offense. Niether one of those fit Coleman's game.

I think the point you negative guys all seem to be missing is that our coach sought the guy out. He recruited him.
Pitino had one year to get to know the guy...his strengths and his weaknesses. And he likes him. What more endorsement do you need? The flip side of that is that Malik respects and enjoys playing for Pitino. He chose him in Minnesota versus Alabama. I think those are significant factors to be positive about.
Malik Smith will help the Gophers!

I don't get it either. Pitino has mentioned pick and rolls and 3 point shots being the bulk of his offense. Niether one of those fit Coleman's game.

The pick and roll is one of the easiest things to teach to any mediocre ball player. Hell, I taught it to Jr. High kids, and it worked more often than not.

What I noticed the last couple of years with Tubby, was pick and roll screeners did not even pivot off the correct foot. Instead of pivoting on the ball side foot so as to not lose contact with the ball, the guys would pivot outside foot, and lose contact with the ball. It is a very simple basketball fundamental that Tubby did not teach. Take that, Parski.

The pick and roll is one of the easiest things to teach to any mediocre ball player. Hell, I taught it to Jr. High kids, and it worked more often than not.

Kind of. Given that Coleman isn't a great shooter or handler, he wouldn't be the guy with the ball. He'd be the guy spacing the floor as a shooter. Again, not his strength.

Wrong, Parski. We're getting excited about the newest GOPHER guard. If you're a Gopher fan, I suggest you do the same

IT'S SO SIMPLE, yet so effective. Do NOT pivot the way it makes you lose eye contact with the ball. The guy you screened for will Know if you get a pass to the basket, and it is up to the passer to get you the ball and score. It is the simple beauty of basketball.

Wrong, Parski. We're getting excited about the newest GOPHER guard. If you're a Gopher fan, I suggest you do the same

Sorry... excited would be getting one of the Big 3. Not excited about an FIU transfer, losing Coleman and 2 commits...one that went to Izzo. I'm just not seeing butterfly's and rainbows like some if you are.

Sorry... excited would be getting one of the Big 3. Not excited about an FIU transfer, losing Coleman and 2 commits...one that went to Izzo. I'm just not seeing butterfly's and rainbows like some if you are.

You're seeing Tubby's face instead.

Man, if getting excited = getting one of the Big 3, I'm not sure how Parksi ever enjoyed sucking errrrr cheering for Tubby. Only player he landed in the same class as the Big 3 decided to transfer out before he ever played. Not to mention Tubby WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN ANY OF THE BIG 3.

Parksi needs to go to the Texas Tech board to gush over the big time prospect they just brought in that no one else wanted, including Pitino.

Same question here.

I think the thought is (at least from my perspective) that he would be BETTER in Pitino's than Tubby's at the very least. Now, you're right in that some of the holes in his game do mesh poorly with that type of offense, but it seems like it would have been an improvement for him still. But that doesn't mean he'd excel in it, and perhaps that's why he made the decision to just part ways now, rather than drag it out and maybe lose a whole season when he wasn't sure in the first place.

Were you excited about never finishing above 6th place, multiple player transfers, and average recruiting?

Why did you like Tubby so much? He never did anything!

The key may be that we get someone on the court now who knows the system.

Man, if getting excited = getting one of the Big 3, I'm not sure how Parksi ever enjoyed sucking errrrr cheering for Tubby. Only player he landed in the same class as the Big 3 decided to transfer out before he ever played. Not to mention Tubby WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN ANY OF THE BIG 3.

Parksi needs to go to the Texas Tech board to gush over the big time prospect they just brought in that no one else wanted, including Pitino.

How can we ever forgive Orlando for Royce White's flunking out?

How can we ever forgive Orlando for Royce White's flunking out?

So typical of you. You simply exist outside the real world. Royce White didn't flunk out. In fact, he had one of the best GPAs on the team. Either your do not know your facts or you are intentionally rewriting history because as a Tubby apologist/fan you always try to paint him in the best light. Either scenario being true wouldn't surprise me.

You are simply shameless.

Try pulling your head out of your a$$ and you just might see a butterfly or rainbow once in a while :D

So typical of you. You simply exist outside the real world. Royce White didn't flunk out. In fact, he had one of the best GPAs on the team. Either your do not know your facts or you are intentionally rewriting history because as a Tubby apologist/fan you always try to paint him in the best light. Either scenario being true wouldn't surprise me.

You are simply shameless.

You're right. Royce White left because he refused to cooperate with police after he & his crew stole some girl's laptop. Poor, poor, victimized Royce. Terrible, terrible coaching by Tubby.

Try pulling your head out of your a$$ and you just might see a butterfly or rainbow once in a while :D

I have met with Parski for some "selective surgery" finding his head. He declined, because he decided that he would not like to see the real world without Tubby.

I have met with Parski for some "selective surgery" finding his head. He declined, because he decided that he would not like to see the real world without Tubby.

You never met with me...I just don't get excited about FIU guards like you and your G/F 46Gophers.

You never met with me...I just don't get excited about FIU guards like you and your G/F 46Gophers.

Boy, lighten up Francis. It's not like we just had another second half of the season collapse under Tubby or something :D

Were you excited about never finishing above 6th place, multiple player transfers, and average recruiting?

Why did you like Tubby so much? He never did anything!

Parski s a fan of mediocrity. Parski: if the Gophers finish higher in the conference this year than Tubby ever did, then you leave the board. If they finish lower than Tubby ever did, than you leave the board. Deal?

Top Bottom