Malik Smith a Gopher!!!

I read them. Yes, you acknowledged that you jumped the gun on the shooting percentage. The part about his role was also mentioned. However, everything else in the post you quoted of mine wasn't addressed (that I remember).
ok ok ok. Maybe I missed something:
As someone who hasn't seen him play I'm certainly willing to give him a shot and do feel better about his game a bit now. However stats tell some of the story and I'm still concerned that he doesn't grab boards or dish assists at all. I have no idea what type of defender he is either other than his 1 steal per game. It does seem like he's a volume shooter with his high number of games taking 8+ 3's. Now I know that's partially Pitino's system but I worry about guys that are volume shooters coming into a situation where they likely won't get to jack up a ton of shots. Maybe he'll be more efficient with better players around him or maybe he'll struggle without being able to gun quite as much. A few days after the commitment I feel a bit better about it mainly due to having another guard on the roster and a guy that knows Pitino's system. Plus he scored 14 a game for a not terrible team so that's impressive. We'll need him to shoot consistently though

Fair enough. I'd still argue that he's pretty efficient though. It's reasonable to expect about 11 and a half shots to score 14 a game. As you mentioned though, I think he'll be more efficient with better players around him. Probably will help his assists per minute as well. Steals also aren't necessarily a good indicator of defense. Sometimes they just reflect that a player gambles a lot. Honestly, I think that's why Damien didn't make the all defensive team his sr yr even though he was 1st or 2nd in steals/blocks. Aaron Craft gets a lot of steals but his d is so impressive because he's just relentless with his pressure and can stay in front of his man so well.

ok ok ok. Maybe I missed something:
As someone who hasn't seen him play I'm certainly willing to give him a shot and do feel better about his game a bit now. However stats tell some of the story and I'm still concerned that he doesn't grab boards or dish assists at all. I have no idea what type of defender he is either other than his 1 steal per game. It does seem like he's a volume shooter with his high number of games taking 8+ 3's. Now I know that's partially Pitino's system but I worry about guys that are volume shooters coming into a situation where they likely won't get to jack up a ton of shots. Maybe he'll be more efficient with better players around him or maybe he'll struggle without being able to gun quite as much. A few days after the commitment I feel a bit better about it mainly due to having another guard on the roster and a guy that knows Pitino's system. Plus he scored 14 a game for a not terrible team so that's impressive. We'll need him to shoot consistently though

Official release from the U:

Malik Smith Signs Tender to Play at Minnesota

The Minnesota men’s basketball program announced today that Malik Smith has signed a tender to play for the Gophers. Smith will be eligible immediately pending an NCAA waiver based on a possible APR induced post-season ban at Florida International University, his previous school.

Smith joins previously signed guards Deandre Mathieu and Daquan McNeil as part of head coach Richard Pitino’s inaugural recruiting class at Minnesota.

“I was a pleasure to coach Malik last season at FIU and I am excited that he has decided to join the Golden Gopher program,” said head coach Richard Pitino. “His knowledge of our program on and off the court will be invaluable as we start to integrate our system here at Minnesota.”

Smith comes to the University of Minnesota after playing his junior season for Coach Pitino at FIU. He started 31 of 32 games for the Golden Panthers and was named Third Team All-Sun Belt Conference after averaging 14.1 points and 2.7 rebounds per game. His 451 points scored last season are the eighth-most in the history of Florida International basketball.

Smith set an FIU record for three-point field goals made in a single season with 96 treys and ranked number one in the conference and 16th nationally with an average of 3.0 three-pointers made per game. He set the Sun Belt Conference Tournament record with 15 total three-pointers made, including an 8-for-10 game in the opening round against Arkansas-Little Rock.

Prior to his junior season at FIU, Smith played his sophomore season at Jacksonville College and his freshman season at South Plains College. He averaged 15.0 points, 4.0 assists and 3.0 rebounds per game at Jacksonville, earning all-region and all-conference honors. Smith played 27 games as a freshman and averaged 5.0 points per game.

Smith, a native of Boston, Mass., led the State of Massachusetts in scoring as a senior while at Madison Park High School in Boston with an average of 26.6 points per game. He went on to play one season at Notre Dame Prep, where he averaged 16.0 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 2.0 steals per game.

-UM-

Go Gophers!!

Smith will be eligible immediately pending an NCAA waiver based on a possible APR induced post-season ban at Florida International University, his previous school.

That's a funny way to put it. I know what they mean, but kind of amusing to see a definitive statement followed by a bunch of caveats.

• New Gophers guard Malik Smith's coach at Jacksonville College, Jody Bailey, on Smith's sophomore year:

"Tough player who once in a rhythm can make volume 3-point shots. He is someone who automatically stretches the defense because of his presence on the perimeter, which allows for even more freedom for his teammates. Smith improved his ball handling and making shots off the dribble and scoring in the mid-range area at FIU but must take that improvement to another level in the Big Ten. Good free throw shooter who should be great. Needs to share the sugar on offense even more and trust his teammates. He will take deep three-point shots that will make the Williams Arena faithful cringe if he is having an off shooting night. He has never been a special defender, but understands angles in the multiple defenses that Minnesota will employ which will make up for his weakness. Will know how to play in coach Richard Pitino's style on both ends of the court immediately and will provide instant leadership."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...ossible_trade_to_move_up_from_No_9_pick052313

If that his description, josh, then I trust Coach as to why Coach is bringing him to Gopher Land. But watch out, as soon as he has his first off night shooting, the GopherHole will explode with various comments. The reason why? Because about the only thing GH'ers know and understand is the scorebook. Mark my word.

If that his description, josh, then I trust Coach as to why Coach is bringing him to Gopher Land. But watch out, as soon as he has his first off night shooting, the GopherHole will explode with various comments. The reason why? Because about the only thing GH'ers know and understand is the scorebook. Mark my word.

It pisses me off already! j/k

Actually, I'm not too worried. He's a rent a player who knows the system. That can only help. We've discussed, ad nauseum, that the play of the front court will make or break the team this year. I'm not going to spend much time worrying about the 16 guards we have. I'm happy to have Smith here. We had space and its for one year, so what could go wrong?

Top Bottom