Malik Smith a Gopher!!!

Smith's 6th school in 6 years. Rent-a-player.

does anyone know if malik smith is related to tubby and saul? :p

Noooooo....again.....I don't like losing Coleman and 2 commits. I don't get excited about FIU transfers.

Coleman didn't want to be here, so what is the solution? Still wonder about the Ellis situation, but Foster obviously wasn't a fit.

Still say that Dre is all Big Ten if he can spend at least half of his time at the 2. He did a respectable job at the 1, but he is a stud at the 2. Pitino is doing what he can to make that happen

Sorry... excited would be getting one of the Big 3. Not excited about an FIU transfer, losing Coleman and 2 commits...one that went to Izzo. I'm just not seeing butterfly's and rainbows like some if you are.

Now you are.

butterfly-color-butterflies.jpg

images

Watching FIU game highlights on youtube, I notice how nice Malik's shots are. I mean I know they are mainly just the highlights, but wow if ever he got hot in a game... his shots are nothing but nets. Dre and Malik will make teams pay this coming year!

Coleman didn't want to be here, so what is the solution? Still wonder about the Ellis situation, but Foster obviously wasn't a fit.

Still say that Dre is all Big Ten if he can spend at least half of his time at the 2. He did a respectable job at the 1, but he is a stud at the 2. Pitino is doing what he can to make that happen
He was already all Big Ten bud....

Man, if getting excited = getting one of the Big 3, I'm not sure how Parksi ever enjoyed sucking errrrr cheering for Tubby. Only player he landed in the same class as the Big 3 decided to transfer out before he ever played. Not to mention Tubby WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN ANY OF THE BIG 3.

Parksi needs to go to the Texas Tech board to gush over the big time prospect they just brought in that no one else wanted, including Pitino.

Slow down there. Tubby landed the only MN kid with that high of a rating during his time here. He also brought in some hotly recruited talent in those first few years from in state and around the country. I don't think recruiting was ever his issue.

Lets see Pitino land somebody next year before we start praising his work ethic and ability.

Please tell me you don't look at fg percentage without looking at 3 pt fg attempts. He was far more efficient than you think.

I hope the kid can play but 36% from the floor at FIU doesn't get me all hot and bothered just yet

You really need to do a little research before going off on a recruit like this. Your post shows exactly why simply looking at fg% can be a terrible measure. His true shooting percentage last year was about the same at Austin's, so he would've been 4th on our team in ts % (not counting Mav since he logged so few minutes). It's tough to have a high overall fg % when you shoot about 8 and a half threes a game.

not to mention the fact that he played 33 mns a game and grabbed only 2.7 boards, 1 steal and 1.3 assists despite being on the court a ton. He did manage to have 2.1 turnovers per game so that basically washes out the 1 steal and 1 assist he got. His fg% would've been worse than everyone last year sans Oto, Welch and Wally, the first 2 we all moaned about because they were shooting so terribly. Everyone else was over 40% which is a big jump from 36%. Nothing about those numbers for a 6'2" guard at FIU say he should be playing in the B10 this year. Hope he can play and will cheer for the guy but this to me looks more like depth than a difference maker.

Another person who needs to look at advanced stats... or just think critically for a second...

Nevermind, I retract my amended statement. He did shoot 36% overall, which is terrible. He's going to have to make some major adjustments as a Gopher because he won't have the automatic green light. But, he should get more open looks. We will see. Don't love the signing, but it was either him or Coleman and both are very flawed players.

Boston Herald: Former Herald All-Scholastic Malik Smith of Madison Park is headed to Minnesota

“He’s come a long way from Bromley-Heath (projects),” said BABC coach Leo Papile, who coached Smith as a member of the BABC. “The journey has taken him from Madison Park to Notre Dame Prep to South Plains JC to Jacksonville College to Florida International in the Sun Belt Conference.

“Now he gets to finish his final season in the Big 10.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/high..._herald_all_scholastic_malik_smith_of_madison

Go Gophers!!

STrib Q&A with new Gopher Malik Smith

How do you feel about playing in the Big Ten? That should be a pretty big adjustment.

I mean, yeah. It's a bigger stage, probably a lot better players. But my main thing is coming to Minnesota and trying to fit in and do what I can do to help the team win.

Are you close with Rakeem Buckles? Yeah definitely. Rakeem is my guy.

Are you going to be angling for him to join you at Minnesota now?

Haha, yeah, definitely. I'm going text him tonight and be like 'Rakeem ... let's make it happen."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/207743881.html

Go Gophers!!

You really need to do a little research before going off on a recruit like this. Your post shows exactly why simply looking at fg% can be a terrible measure. His true shooting percentage last year was about the same at Austin's, so he would've been 4th on our team in ts % (not counting Mav since he logged so few minutes). It's tough to have a high overall fg % when you shoot about 8 and a half threes a game.
First those points were already addressed and acknowledged in another thread. Yes his efficiency rate is higher than I thought and I feel a bit better about him. Also if you really expect folks to research before posting you'll be highly disappointed. You also didn't acknowledge my other concerns which are that he seems to bring little to the table besides shooting

Research was the wrong word. Honestly, all you had to do was look at his 3 point attempts to figure out why his overall fg % was so low.

Have you seen him play? Don't you think you should hold off on the harshness before at least watching him a number of times? We also don't know what he was asked to do last year. He won't be forced to take so many shots this year, so I'd be shocked if his fg% doesn't go up. It's also tough to know how good of a defender someone is by simply looking at their basic stats. In any case, teams can always use 3 point shooters. People also have to remember that these recruits we're getting are all coming extremely late in the process. This isn't the program-building class. I'd say we've gotten pretty solid players considering the circumstances--certainly better than our past spring recruits.

First those points were already addressed and acknowledged in another thread. Yes his efficiency rate is higher than I thought and I feel a bit better about him. Also if you really expect folks to research before posting you'll be highly disappointed. You also didn't acknowledge my other concerns which are that he seems to bring little to the table besides shooting

Research was the wrong word. Honestly, all you had to do was look at his 3 point attempts to figure out why his overall fg % was so low.

Have you seen him play? Don't you think you should hold off on the harshness before at least watching him a number of times? We also don't know what he was asked to do last year. He won't be forced to take so many shots this year, so I'd be shocked if his fg% doesn't go up. It's also tough to know how good of a defender someone is by simply looking at their basic stats. In any case, teams can always use 3 point shooters. People also have to remember that these recruits we're getting are all coming extremely late in the process. This isn't the program-building class. I'd say we've gotten pretty solid players considering the circumstances--certainly better than our past spring recruits.

My brother have you even read this thread? You're bringing up arguments that I personally have already discussed on page 1-4. Might want to read the 3-4 pages AFTER the post you quoted in which we discussed these very points

My brother have you even read this thread? You're bringing up arguments that I personally have already discussed on page 1-4. Might want to read the 3-4 pages AFTER the post you quoted in which we discussed these very points

Just to discuss the rest of your point that hasn't already been thoroughly hashed out, I think it's a valid concern that he doesn't do a lot of other things well besides shoot. He isn't a distributor, doesn't have great stats on the defensive end (I can't speak to his defense), so I think it's a valid concern. I think you see a lot of those same concerns in the Macura thread. Is he more than a guy who can just shoot?

With Malik Smith, and our current roster, I am fine with it if he can just knock down a few three pointers. He is here for 1 season, he won't take up a scholarship. But in recruiting, it's a valid concern. I'm not trying to conflate the two threads, but I think it's the main concern with Macura. I haven't seen enough of him to say that he can do more than just shoot.

I read them. Yes, you acknowledged that you jumped the gun on the shooting percentage. The part about his role was also mentioned. However, everything else in the post you quoted of mine wasn't addressed (that I remember).

Top Bottom