Malik Smith a Gopher!!!

No one is upset by the facts. It's like if you find $10 on the ground and get kind of happy about it. Then there is that friend that comes in and says "well ya know with inflation that doesn't buy much anymore, and that bill is sort of ripped why would you even want it?" All facts, but is it really necessary to mention right now when folks are just happy we got a new commit and are welcoming him to the program and team?

I guess I see it differently, but maybe it is because some people are more interested in finding out what we really got in a commitment, or are really not all that impressed in the player, and bring out facts or stats to show why they are not all that impressed and the thought police jump on them and tell them they need to pipe down and not be negative by bringing up facts or stats that tend to show that the thought police's opinions may not be true. I guess we could all sit around and sing Bobby McFerrin's "Don't worry, be happy" and not questions things, but that would be boring.

That does make me feel a bit better for sure. I still like to see a guy shoot a better percentage when that's basically all he brings to the table (at least offensively. I can't speak to his defense). Hopefully he can be a consistent shooter and not just a streaky guy. We saw Austin get streaky last year and it was either great or terrible. We could use a second guy that can be counted on to hit an open shot besides Dre

He also got to the free throw line at a really high rate for a guy who shot SO many threes.

For instance. . . in one of the games that I believe you bolded he shot 3-12 that game, but he finished with 17 points. Another one of the games was 4-13. . .he scored 22 points in that game (free throws and threes).

For a guy like him, FG% will never tell you his story. In terms of efficiency, he is kind of like Kevin Love. Kevin Love had an amazing season offensively in 2011-2012. . .but he was a PF who only shot 45%. That same season, Lamarcus Aldridge shot 52%. However, by every statistical measure. . . Kevin Love had a much better offensive season than Aldridge. Why? Kevin Love shoots a lot of threes and free throws.

No, but what's the point of it right now? If your friend/son/brother/etc. gets engaged do you congratulate him or just start immediately pointing out every little flaw she has?

"Guess what I'm engaged, I'm so happy and in love! This is the best day of my life!!!"

"Wow man, dumb move. You realize she weighs 150 right? You know that don't you? And her feet, wow they are weird looking. You think your kids will have those same feet? And dude, she needs to smile less. I mean, she smiles and is happy a lot. What's up with that? How can you trust her with all that smiling and stuff? Plus, have you seen her paychecks? A little on the light side wouldn't you say? Too bad she can't swap that for her weight, am I right!?!?"

In your attempt to defend Malik Smith you've compared him to a fat chick with bad feet and crappy credit. :)

I guess I see it differently, but maybe it is because some people are more interested in finding out what we really got in a commitment, or are really not all that impressed in the player, and bring out facts or stats to show why they are not all that impressed and the thought police jump on them and tell them they need to pipe down and not be negative by bringing up facts or stats that tend to show that the thought police's opinions may not be true. I guess we could all sit around and sing Bobby McFerrin's "Don't worry, be happy" and not questions things, but that would be boring.

Not saying it has to be all the time, but this thread seems to be welcoming Malik to MN. There will be plenty of time for analysis going forward. If we just hired someone at work and they have a welcome aboard e-mail do I reply all with all of my comments relating to his resume and work experience? No. He is a member of our team now, welcome him, and lets hope he does the job asked of him while he is here! We can spend the entire off season disecting his game, but right now he is a new addition to the Gophers and that is exciting no matter who the player is.

Having Smith as a threat, regardless of how he is shooting on a particular night will open up the floor, makes the defense extend itself, and open lanes for Austin Hollins, Andre, and others to do work. Opposing coaches will have to account for him.

I did a quick check, and FIU was 7-7 when Smith shot less then 35% from deep. His off-nights won't kill our chances to win games.

Now we just need to find a dirty working PF.

Take that Sun Belt Conference.

Pitino and Sun Belt recruits/players = Jerry Kill and Western Michigan recruits.

No, but what's the point of it right now? If your friend/son/brother/etc. gets engaged do you congratulate him or just start immediately pointing out every little flaw she has?

"Guess what I'm engaged, I'm so happy and in love! This is the best day of my life!!!"

"Wow man, dumb move. You realize she weighs 150 right? You know that don't you? And her feet, wow they are weird looking. You think your kids will have those same feet? And dude, she needs to smile less. I mean, she smiles and is happy a lot. What's up with that? How can you trust her with all that smiling and stuff? Plus, have you seen her paychecks? A little on the light side wouldn't you say? Too bad she can't swap that for her weight, am I right!?!?"

If folks are taking the commitment of a guy that will be here for 1 year as seriously as their fiancee then they've got issues.

But I get the point. Still I think it's perfectly fine to discuss the potential impact a player will have, especially a player brought in to help immediately and that has played D1 basketball already so there's not as much projecting as with HS or even JUCO recruits.

good, I could not see the Gophers taking him and limiting themselves in next years recruiting class with a 1 year player this early.

Shouldn't have included that 3-8 game. The rest I included because he took a lot of shots. Without watching the games I have no idea if these were spot up shots or off the dribble or what but I don't think spot up shooters typically get 8-10 good looks per game so I'm assuming (I know) that he's gunning which concerns me when he's not hitting much and 33% isn't exactly hot. Who knows though. If he can handle the ball and get up the court he'll help

Not to mention a couple shot clock buzzer beaters and half courters in there.

@GophersNow: Smith would need an NCAA waiver to play right away after transferring. Could get one if FIU gets postseason ban due to APR.

Rock, paper, scissors to see if he plays right away?

He also got to the free throw line at a really high rate for a guy who shot SO many threes.

For instance. . . in one of the games that I believe you bolded he shot 3-12 that game, but he finished with 17 points. Another one of the games was 4-13. . .he scored 22 points in that game (free throws and threes).

For a guy like him, FG% will never tell you his story. In terms of efficiency, he is kind of like Kevin Love. Kevin Love had an amazing season offensively in 2011-2012. . .but he was a PF who only shot 45%. That same season, Lamarcus Aldridge shot 52%. However, by every statistical measure. . . Kevin Love had a much better offensive season than Aldridge. Why? Kevin Love shoots a lot of threes and free throws.
The funny thing is that in that light his game sounds like James Harden. He's either taking 3's or attacking the rim which isn't a bad thing at all.

Upon closer look at his stats he led the team in shots by about 30, FTAs and was actually the 4th leading rebounder. Now he also led in minutes which is good too but the numbers may be a bit skewed. Wish I had Hollingers per 36 to even it out or something. He would've been the 4th leading FTA guy for MN last year too even though as a team we took 120 more than they did which does show a bit more aggressiveness

Psst... I have a secret for you. Amelia is a pretty lousy reporter.

She's hit or miss. I like the effort to dig into stuff though, sometimes it can get you burnt if you get bad info, but I respect the work behind it. Beats previous guys who only seemed to come out when a scandal was involved or something like that.

Look at you people...getting all lathered up over an FIU guard. Just shows where this program is at.

GW - what are the odds that FIU's 2 year APR score is below the 930 threshold? Do you think Buckles is a lock to be a Gopher if the APR scores at FIU are below 930?

They'd need to post an above average APR score to get that 2-year APR up. Trying to calculate estimates.. looks like they could only have a denominator that's one higher than their numerator... would be tough to reach. Without looking at specific kids and what's happened with them since leaving the school, I'd expect them to be banned from postseason in 2013-14.

Buckles - nothing is ever a lock, but seems like there's a strong chance. Don't know what his thoughts would be though if Minnesota landed, say, Tarik Black. Then again I don't know what his health situation is... hopefully those knees are about ready to go and he's doing well. Anyone know what the docs are saying on Buckles recently?

Look at you people...getting all lathered up over an FIU guard. Just shows where this program is at.

Is it totally pointless for me to ask you to give it a rest? Nothing that has happened so far has been a total surprise as far as coaching change tranisitions go. If the Gophers go 9-22 two years from now, you can stomp your feet all you want.

No one is getting lathered up over the guy. Most of the posters on this thread seem to think that that he's a decent shooter and will help us off the bench next season (while also only being on the hook for 1 scholarship season). Wow. . .what a lathering!?!?!

That said, the fact that an FIU guard would help us quite a bit says a lot about where Tubby left the program. You're right, he did stink.

Is it totally pointless for me to ask you to give it a rest? Nothing that has happened so far has been a total surprise as far as coaching change tranisitions go. If the Gophers go 9-22 two years from now, you can stomp your feet all you want.

Only if Texas Tech is good.

If we go 9-22 two years from now, that means we made a bad hire. A bad hire doesn't mean that the firing of Tubby was wrong. For instance, even if Kill goes 1-7 in the Big 10 for the next three years in a row and gets canned, that doesn't make Brewster a good coach.

But we all know that Parski will wait for anything bad to happen for the Gopher Bball team and make up a fairy tale about how great things would have been if Sleepy Orlando was at the helm.

Tweet from Malik Smith:

Shout out to my new teammate @AndreHollins we gon turn up this year!

. Then again I don't know what his health situation is... hopefully those knees are about ready to go and he's doing well. Anyone know what the docs are saying on Buckles recently?

My deep insider knowledge is telling me no one on the gopher hole has a freaked clue, but they will act like they do !

My deep insider knowledge is telling me no one on the gopher hole has a freaked clue, but they will act like they do !

Remember when everyone said Brandon Roy's knees were fine? That was fun. I think it is a legit concern to wonder about his knees. However, I'd be ecstatic if he were a Gopher and we could see a successful career come out of all of those injuries.

Top Bottom