Losers ,Tubby has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so, he would not make a commit. It was only after Tubby departed and they got a new coach that he committed.

you're such an idiot. It's not like Tubby never recruited a mcndonalds all american and signed them (there are at least 6 i can think of) If you DO the research, you'll find that Tubby was the first Major D1 coach to offer Patrick Patterson. Also, if you read the article I linked, location to him was key. He said he didn't click with some of the Duke Players. He hadn't visited Duke prior to Tubby leaving UK. He took all of his visits, which most kids do.

Again Location he cited as a key, So he was going to UK no matter what because he didn't want to be that far from his parents. Again, don't try to act like coaches have some sort of power to make a recruit committ. There are tons of factors involved, location, coach, style of play, liking the players when you meet them etc.. but the fact remains Tubby recruited him long before Florida and Duke did. Tubby doesn't lie or beg though.

I followed the Patrick Patterson recruitment on a daily basis. As a UK Fan his coming to UK meant that much to us. You probably have zero facts in regards to this recruitment. You can state the obvious in that he didn't sign with UK until the spring of his sr year and use that to make Tubby look bad but you don't know the facts, if you did you'd be posting them.

The best source of information on this is a guy name Patrick Patterson.
He was asked the question if he had committed to UK while Tubby was the coach.
He stated for the Lexington Harold Leader the following:

In his own words he said: While he was recruited by UK and Tubby he never committed to UK while Tubby was the coach.
After Tubby left UK he decided to wait and see who UK would hire. He further stated after UK hired Billy Gillispie and Billy
came to his home, that Billy sat down with him and his parents and showed them in detail how he planned to play and develop
UK's offense around him. Patrick said that both himself and his parents were impressed with Billy's presentation and it was
after that visit that he decided he would play for UK. He also stated that ANY rumors regarding him committing to Tubby
were absolutely false.

Right on the money.

However, Cobbs and Devoe I think you can make an argument that it is on Tubby. Neither liked to play defense and wanted to be more open like in the Pac12. Not Tubby's "fault", but his coaching philosiphy certainly contributed. (Also, Devoe's drug problem didn't help)

There is no possible way you can blame Tubby for the two HUGE losses of Royce and Trevor, IMO.

Devoe and Cobbs left because they didn't like to play defense? How do you know that??? More likely they didn't like not running on offense. Having to dribble the ball down, stop and feed the high post and watch as Tubby tried the high low boring offense possession after possession. As far as Royce goes, Tubby deserves none of the blame but also none of the credit. He never played here. He was trouble long before Tubby came here. He was always a risk. Tubby did get lucky on Trevor though. Trevor was one willing witness to being completely out of the program.

I followed the Patrick Patterson recruitment on a daily basis. As a UK Fan his coming to UK meant that much to us. You probably have zero facts in regards to this recruitment. You can state the obvious in that he didn't sign with UK until the spring of his sr year and use that to make Tubby look bad but you don't know the facts, if you did you'd be posting them.

I want to personally thank you for helping us fight the battle. I'm somewhat knowlegeable, but you are outstanding. The one thing I would caution you on, is alot of these posters are high school kids who only come out after a lose. Please use the ignore list, you are too good not to. Stay with us when the dancing begins!

Devoe and Cobbs left because they didn't like to play defense? How do you know that??? More likely they didn't like not running on offense. Having to dribble the ball down, stop and feed the high post and watch as Tubby tried the high low boring offense possession after possession. As far as Royce goes, Tubby deserves none of the blame but also none of the credit. He never played here. He was trouble long before Tubby came here. He was always a risk. Tubby did get lucky on Trevor though. Trevor was one willing witness to being completely out of the program.
I have to ask, what would you have done if Tubby hadn't signed Royce?

In his own words he said: While he was recruited by UK and Tubby he never committed to UK while Tubby was the coach.
After Tubby left UK he decided to wait and see who UK would hire. He further stated after UK hired Billy Gillispie and Billy
came to his home, that Billy sat down with him and his parents and showed them in detail how he planned to play and develop
UK's offense around him. Patrick said that both himself and his parents were impressed with Billy's presentation and it was
after that visit that he decided he would play for UK. He also stated that ANY rumors regarding him committing to Tubby
were absolutely false.

yes it's true Lt. Dan did all that. They were impressed by him as they should have been. The guy is a hell of a coach but had an alcohol problem. Still is/was a hell of a coach. But Billy would have never been in the position to do this had it not been for Tubby discovering this great talent 3 years earlier. I think Patrick was coming to UK as long as the coach they hired didn't seem like a complete retard and BCG isn't. He did make UK's offense revolve around him as well he should have, guy was an elite talent. Tubby deserves most of the credit for the kid coming to UK though. Billy Clyde just got to butter the bread with a knife that already had butter on it and he didn't eff it up.

Laughed at whoever did get him as they dealt with his assault and theft issues.

I don't blame Tubby for recruiting Royce as he would have been stupid not to. I do blame Maturi for not allowing him or Mbakwe to ever play in what should have been our coming out party.

I want to personally thank you for helping us fight the battle. I'm somewhat knowlegeable, but you are outstanding. The one thing I would caution you on, is alot of these posters are high school kids who only come out after a lose. Please use the ignore list, you are too good not to. Stay with us when the dancing begins!

Thanks...I'm a tubby fan. Guy is a hell of a coach and will probably be the most successful black coach ever before he's done. I think he stays at MN another 3 to 5 years as long as his health is good then retires with almost 600 wins and goes to the hall of fame.

Thanks...I'm a tubby fan. Guy is a hell of a coach and will probably be the most successful black coach ever before he's done. I think he stays at MN another 3 to 5 years as long as his health is good then retires with almost 600 wins and goes to the hall of fame.
Thanks FOT.

I don't mean to quibble but Nolan Richardson and John Thompson III already share that title in Division I by a wide margin, John Chaney, even though he never made it to the Final Four, is already in the Basketball Hall of Fame (in addition to Thompson and Richardson) so I think you'd have to consider ranking him above Smith as well.

Smith is more along the lines of Lou Carneseca or Rolle Massimino: One outstanding year and the rest sort of average or above average. His career path is looking more and more like Massimino's at this point though.

I don't mean to quibble but Nolan Richardson and John Thompson III already share that title in Division I by a wide margin, John Chaney, even though he never made it to the Final Four, is already in the Basketball Hall of Fame (in addition to Thompson and Richardson) so I think you'd have to consider ranking him above Smith as well.

Smith is more along the lines of Lou Carneseca or Rolle Massimino: One outstanding year and the rest sort of average or above average. His career path is looking more and more like Massimino's at this point though.

I think finishing the year in the top 20, mostly top 10 8 out of 10 years is far better than Lou or Rolle ever did. 5 conference titles.. 5 sec tournament titles. 3 elite 8's, a national championship. Neither one of those guys had a run that good.

I think finishing the year in the top 20, mostly top 10 8 out of 10 years is far better than Lou or Rolle ever did. 5 conference titles.. 5 sec tournament titles. 3 elite 8's, a national championship. Neither one of those guys had a run that good.

You are bragging about 5 out of 10 SEC titles at KY for Tubby? Seriously? Ask KY fans if that met their standard.

minngg said:
You are bragging about 5 out of 10 SEC titles at KY for Tubby? Seriously? Ask KY fans if that met their standard.

Nm

Yeah I hear you. I don't want a coach who only wins his conference 50% of the time.

His comment is still correct. They were comparing coaches and the successes they had. No where did he say that Tubby's success met expectations at Kentucky. Your statement has little to do with the argument they were having.

yes it's true Lt. Dan did all that. They were impressed by him as they should have been. The guy is a hell of a coach but had an alcohol problem. Still is/was a hell of a coach. But Billy would have never been in the position to do this had it not been for Tubby discovering this great talent 3 years earlier. I think Patrick was coming to UK as long as the coach they hired didn't seem like a complete retard and BCG isn't. He did make UK's offense revolve around him as well he should have, guy was an elite talent. Tubby deserves most of the credit for the kid coming to UK though. Billy Clyde just got to butter the bread with a knife that already had butter on it and he didn't eff it up.

Please. Whatever your thoughts on Tubby, he didn't discover Patterson.
Like every other top recruit, his play brought him to the attention of
the college programs. the notion of ANY college coach 'discovering'
a kid today is laughable. youtube, bloggers, runners, camp directors,
they all combine to make it impossible for anyone to remain hidden.

were absolutely false.

thank you. Hope the obvious truth doesn't cause too many heads to explode on here.

you're such an idiot. It's not like Tubby never recruited a mcndonalds all american and signed them (there are at least 6 i can think of) If you DO the research, you'll find that Tubby was the first Major D1 coach to offer Patrick Patterson. Also, if you read the article I linked, location to him was key. He said he didn't click with some of the Duke Players. He hadn't visited Duke prior to Tubby leaving UK. He took all of his visits, which most kids do.

Again Location he cited as a key, So he was going to UK no matter what because he didn't want to be that far from his parents. Again, don't try to act like coaches have some sort of power to make a recruit committ. There are tons of factors involved, location, coach, style of play, liking the players when you meet them etc.. but the fact remains Tubby recruited him long before Florida and Duke did. Tubby doesn't lie or beg though.

Yes, Tubby recruited quite a few McD's AA's. And other highly rated prospects. if you
follow his track record, you see that it became harder and harder for him to land them
even at a top tier program.

His comment is still correct. They were comparing coaches and the successes they had. No where did he say that Tubby's success met expectations at Kentucky. Your statement has little to do with the argument they were having.

Of course it matters. Dan Monson could win 5 SEC titles out of 10 years at KY. How can you compare a coach that coached at St. Johns and a coach that coached at KY? He brought up the record to defend Tubby as a better coach. It has everything to do with it. Notice he didn't mention that in the last 7 years he has failed to win 10 games in conference and that includes at Ky.

Of course it matters. Dan Monson could win 5 SEC titles out of 10 years at KY.

No he couldn't. That's just stupid. Tubby coached in the SEC where Florida won the National Championship in two of those years.

I certainly haven't read through all of these comments, but I would love to share my thoughts on Tubby and his future. In all honesty, I have the utmost respect for Tubby and what he has done here at MN. Sure, he hasn't won any NCAA games, but getting to the tournament in itself is an accomplishment. However, I would agree that wins in the tourny are a must. And I am completely convinced that we would have gotten at least one win the NCAA tourny last year and this year had we not experienced injuries/transfers. And I don't believe that either of those can be held against Tubby. Tubby runs a tight ship in terms of rules, academics, etc., and if players refuse to follow those rules, then that's too bad. I would LOVE to see White, Cobbs, Joseph to still be here, but I will certainly give Tubby the benefit of the doubt in his handling of those situations. Certain things just have not gone Tubby's way, and that is not to be held against him I don't think. I believe he has done an above average job while here at Minnesota, but there will always be room for improvement.

In terms of his future here, I would love to give him an extension. Bad luck can only run for so long, right :) ? I think what he is able to do next year will be the best indicator of his abilities, because I believe that next year's squad has some great potential. In the end, I think both Tubby and the team deserve our support until the final shot of this season.

Well UK didn't win the SEC last year, they were 10-6. Florida won the conference so I guess we should fire Cal since he didn't win the conference. They got to a final 4 but fell short of #8 which is what we ultimately want. It looks like they are going to win the SEC going undefeated this year.

I certainly haven't read through all of these comments, but I would love to share my thoughts on Tubby and his future. In all honesty, I have the utmost respect for Tubby and what he has done here at MN. Sure, he hasn't won any NCAA games, but getting to the tournament in itself is an accomplishment. However, I would agree that wins in the tourny are a must. And I am completely convinced that we would have gotten at least one win the NCAA tourny last year and this year had we not experienced injuries/transfers. And I don't believe that either of those can be held against Tubby. Tubby runs a tight ship in terms of rules, academics, etc., and if players refuse to follow those rules, then that's too bad. I would LOVE to see White, Cobbs, Joseph to still be here, but I will certainly give Tubby the benefit of the doubt in his handling of those situations. Certain things just have not gone Tubby's way, and that is not to be held against him I don't think. I believe he has done an above average job while here at Minnesota, but there will always be room for improvement.

In terms of his future here, I would love to give him an extension. Bad luck can only run for so long, right :) ? I think what he is able to do next year will be the best indicator of his abilities, because I believe that next year's squad has some great potential. In the end, I think both Tubby and the team deserve our support until the final shot of this season.

well said.

Of course it matters. Dan Monson could win 5 SEC titles out of 10 years at KY. How can you compare a coach that coached at St. Johns and a coach that coached at KY? He brought up the record to defend Tubby as a better coach. It has everything to do with it. Notice he didn't mention that in the last 7 years he has failed to win 10 games in conference and that includes at Ky.

Billy Gillispie must be the worst coach of all-time then if winning at Kentucky is so easy.

Well UK didn't win the SEC last year, they were 10-6. Florida won the conference so I guess we should fire Cal since he didn't win the conference. They got to a final 4 but fell short of #8 which is what we ultimately want. It looks like they are going to win the SEC going undefeated this year.

Let me just go ahead and beat others to the punch. "We've never been a top progam like
Ky", 'Calipari cheats", "go post somewhere else hillbilly".

Actually you make a point without stating it. Our program should aspire to Ky's level, as
all basketball prgorams should. Like all footbal programs should aspire to Alabama's level,
despite the fact that few have Alabama's footbsall pedigree. Settling for mediocrity is
a gurantee for more mediocrity.

Let me just go ahead and beat others to the punch. "We've never been a top progam like
Ky", 'Calipari cheats", "go post somewhere else hillbilly".

Actually you make a point without stating it. Our program should aspire to Ky's level, as
all basketball prgorams should. Like all footbal programs should aspire to Alabama's level,
despite the fact that few have Alabama's footbsall pedigree. Settling for mediocrity is
a gurantee for more mediocrity.

Hillbilly's know how to spell unlike you. Calipari Cheats.. how come he has never been cited by the ncaa for cheating? I just think he has the right connections, a good brand of basketball to sell and now he is at Kentucky. Kentucky has a history of cheating, point shaving so you can bet your ass the ncaa is watching us very closely. I'm sure every UNC and Duke official are trying to compile dirt on a daily basis. If Cal really does cheat you'll find out because the spot light on him has never been bigger.

Hillbilly's know how to spell unlike you. Calipari Cheats.. how come he has never been cited by the ncaa for cheating? I just think he has the right connections, a good brand of basketball to sell and now he is at Kentucky. Kentucky has a history of cheating, point shaving so you can bet your ass the ncaa is watching us very closely. I'm sure every UNC and Duke official are trying to compile dirt on a daily basis. If Cal really does cheat you'll find out because the spot light on him has never been bigger.

Sorry that sarcasm doesn't translate in the written word. I was actually making fun of the way most people on this forum would reply to you. I was AGREEING with you.

p.s. I spell excellently, I type abysmally, and proofread not at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom