Leidner Out Vs. MD

Yes. He has a concussion - it was diagnosed after the game and Claeys lied to protect the medical staff who kept him in the game without examining
I am waiting for BeavCoon to post. He always has the deep dirt

While we're having this b!tch session, it begs the question why the he!! didn't TC play Rhoda more in the second half against Indiana St.? I seem to recall TC saying he wanted Liedner to get more reps in garbage time, really?!? I supported the hiring of TC but like a lot of other people I'm becoming less and less confident in his abilities as a HC. Issues like clock management and penalties are bad enough but now this situation where our backup has no real experience despite a great opportunity to have gotten it. I really hope the kid can get the job done despite starting and getting his first significant playing time on the road. Fortunately we play Maryland but if he has a lot of problems on Saturday, I won't be able to help myself but think back to the Sycamores game.

The symptoms of a concussion can come and go for a while after the trauma.
Back in the day we lived in Pittsburgh when Terry Bradshaw and the Steelers were winning Super Bowls.
I was at a play off game against Oakland. Bradshaw was having a bad day. Right before the half he ran away from a sack and a Raider clocked him. Bradshaw was taken to the locker room on a gurney.
Second half started and there he was playing QB . Played a lot better than the first half and the Steelers won.
Later he said he did not remember a minute of the second half but had a miserable headache for days after he got home.
Claeys and the medical staff are not the kind of people that would put a player in danger to win a game.

While we're having this b!tch session, it begs the question why the he!! didn't TC play Rhoda more in the second half against Indiana St.? I seem to recall TC saying he wanted Liedner to get more reps in garbage time, really?!? I supported the hiring of TC but like a lot of other people I'm becoming less and less confident in his abilities as a HC. Issues like clock management and penalties are bad enough but now this situation where our backup has no real experience despite a great opportunity to have gotten it. I really hope the kid can get the job done despite starting and getting his first significant playing time on the road. Fortunately we play Maryland but if he has a lot of problems on Saturday, I won't be able to help myself but think back to the Sycamores game.

Wow, I thought the same exact thing. Especially since Leidner is used so much in the running game and takes so many hits.

I saw Rhoda play in high school. He was far from a good HS QB and completed 49% of his passes his senior. I feel for him. This is a tough challenge. Wish him the best and yes, it would have been nice for him to get some meaningful time against Indiana State, He has not played in a meaningful game since 2012. The game will be moving 500mph.

Ok. I'm telling you that one kind of defenseless player is a player who has given himself up. Running out of bounds or sliding are defenseless player situations. I'm not saying Mitch was for sure defenseless, I'm saying you could make that argument and your analysis leaves out that possibility.

In football, runners get lit up on the sidelines all the time if they do not get a foot on the ground, out of bounds. RBs, WRs get hit all the time. There is not such ting as "giving yourself up" unless you slide and that is new this year. Officials get emotional and sometimes apply a different standard when the QB is the runner, but that is not part of the rules and is poor officiating.

Also, to reiterate, the targeting call only applies to a so called defenseless player and runner is never considered that. Mitch was a runner on that play.

I expect the posters to not get this, but even the officials cannot understand this.

An official called targeting when someone hit a QB hard running the ball in a late Saturday Pac 12 game. The review official reversed the targeting call and the regular penalty (if one was even called) as well. In between the commentators wrongly asserted that it would be a first down regardless since the review official could only remove the targeting and not the assumed personal foul. They all were wrong, expect the replay official. It was ruled a clean play, 4th down.

Losing to that Iowa team at home, is both disappointing and an awful loss. Use whatever terminology you want... just don't try to defend that sort of effort on Saturday vs a team that lost to NDSU, Northwestern, and snuck by Rutgers by saying "only 2 point favorites!"

well at least now we know which axe you're rally grinding.

This team is not good enough to be playing the not best #2 guy to "save a redshirt year". That line is all 100% BS to obscure the fact that the golden recruit Demry Croft is not quite ready to play and looks not so good in practice. Rhoda is better right now and that is the only reason he will play. The stupid decision to play Croft a few plays last year is coming home to roost, but we cannot blame TC for that, and as I stated, unless we actually can recruit great QBs it really does not matter. It is too late to rectify any of this so who cares not me. We have not idea when these QB recruits under this staff (or the last one) will be worth a crap or not, so stop worrying about it and play the best guy.

The real issue is that the guy completing passes in South Dakota who can run a 4.5 40 should be the back up and he never got a real chance here ever. With the awful offense Kill ran, even if his arm sucked, it would not have made much a difference, and now we know he actually can complete passes in a real game. Streveler was screwed by someone in the current or more likely previous staff. (Kill, Limey, or probably the Hamline guy)

The sorry thing is that had they started anyone within reason at QB last week and handed the ball of 30 times to Shannon Brooks, given 15 more carries to Smith and thrown a few play action passes here and there to keep Iowa honest, they would have won the game.

I am not at all impressed with Jay Johnson at this point. Limey and Zebrowski, once freed from the meddling of Jerry Kill were much better. I am actually more concerned that we have not had an offensive lineman worth anything since the hot tempered kid from Wisconsin, Zac Epping graduated. That guy had a serious edge, regardless of natural talent, and since then the o line has not been so great. I'll give the new O Line coach a chance though.

CS5 wasn't screwed by anyone. He wasn't good enough to play QB at a B1G school. That simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One other thing- I remember hearing Claeys interviewed with Sid and Dave last spring and Streveler was brought up. He said they had moved him to WR and they were going to see how things went at the new position and then talk to him about his future after spring ball. I thought to myself at that time that was a really a stupid idea. He is not a great QB and has been okay at SD. But would't you rather have him starting on Saturday? Also knowing how bad Croft looked last year during the short time that he played and then how awful he was in the spring game? Or knowing that Seth Green is coming to you because he was QB2 at his high school to a little 5-10 junior who is not a recruit at all??

One other thing- I remember hearing Claeys interviewed with Sid and Dave last spring and Streveler was brought up. He said they had moved him to WR and they were going to see how things went at the new position and then talk to him about his future after spring ball. I thought to myself at that time that was a really a stupid idea. He is not a great QB and has been okay at SD. But would't you rather have him starting on Saturday? Also knowing how bad Croft looked last year during the short time that he played and then how awful he was in the spring game? Or knowing that Seth Green is coming to you because he was QB2 at his high school to a little 5-10 junior who is not a recruit at all??

What I love about your post is Streveler is now good because of modest numbers at USD, but we can write off Croft due to a Spring Game performance and Green due to playing time split in HS. That all sounds very rational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Streveler is better than any of the backups we have right now, and his performance at South Dakota so far supports that assertion. The fact is the former offensive staff never allowed him to run any sort of normal offense when he was in the games he played so we will never know for sure.

The fact that he is tough, strong, can throw the ball well enough and can run a 4.5 forty suggests he would be an asset right now. But as I wrote earlier, he never was given any real chance to show what he could do. I guess we will see this week what the other guys can do. Of course, now just handing it off to Shannon Brooks 30 times will be all it takes.

I rea

Croft looked very raw, very skinny and and very scared last year at Northwestern and he must not have been so hot this year or he would be playing on Saturday. The "red shirt" story line is all steaming BS designed to protect the player from negative commentary and unflattering suggestions.

Chris S. would be a huge upgrade right now.

Croft looked very raw, very skinny and and very scared last year at Northwestern and he must not have been so hot this year or he would be playing on Saturday. The "red shirt" story line is all steaming BS designed to protect the player from negative commentary and unflattering suggestions.

Chris S. would be a huge upgrade right now.

I don't think they need to make up a red shirt story to protect croft.... most players they just don't play and nobody cares.

Is there really media fervor to dump on Croft to deflect even?

d that is new this year. Officials get emotional and sometimes apply a different standard when the QB is the runner, but that is not part of the rules and is poor officiating.

Also, to reiterate, the targeting call only applies to a so called defenseless player and runner is never considered that. Mitch was a runner on that play.

I expect the posters to not get this, but even the officials cannot understand this.

You are wrong. Rule 9-1-4 is for a defenseless player, rule 9-1-3 is any player making forceable contact with the crown of his helmet
Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the
Helmet
ARTICLE 3. No player shall target and make forcible contact against an
opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.
(Rule 9-6) (A.R. 9-1-3-I)

Wow, I thought the same exact thing. Especially since Leidner is used so much in the running game and takes so many hits.

I saw Rhoda play in high school. He was far from a good HS QB and completed 49% of his passes his senior. I feel for him. This is a tough challenge. Wish him the best and yes, it would have been nice for him to get some meaningful time against Indiana State, He has not played in a meaningful game since 2012. The game will be moving 500mph.

Remember thinking during the Indiana State game that ok now the offense will pull Leidner and put in a backup.....nope well maybe after the next series....nope well maybe at some point when there are still somewhat meaningful snaps to be taken against live competition....nope....

At least he isn't getting his first start in a really hostile environment with a crowd of 100K but it would have been nice if he could have at least seen a little more game action (assuming that they do in fact go with Rhoda). I am curious how he does because I have never viewed him as anything more then roster filler and never saw him as a viable option at QB. Hope I am wrong but don't have high hopes for him coming in and setting the world on fire. But if he can manage the game and not make killer mistakes he might be all right. Good news is that it means the RB's will get more carries as I would think our QB run game would be off the table with Rhoda under center.

Remember thinking during the Indiana State game that ok now the offense will pull Leidner and put in a backup.....nope well maybe after the next series....nope well maybe at some point when there are still somewhat meaningful snaps to be taken against live competition....nope....

At least he isn't getting his first start in a really hostile environment with a crowd of 100K but it would have been nice if he could have at least seen a little more game action (assuming that they do in fact go with Rhoda). I am curious how he does because I have never viewed him as anything more then roster filler and never saw him as a viable option at QB. Hope I am wrong but don't have high hopes for him coming in and setting the world on fire. But if he can manage the game and not make killer mistakes he might be all right. Good news is that it means the RB's will get more carries as I would think our QB run game would be off the table with Rhoda under center.

Didn't Lingen get hurt late in that Indiana St. game as well?

BTW, I'm not sure why people have this idea that Rhoda can't run... he's definitely more athletic and quicker than Leidner is.

BTW, I'm not sure why people have this idea that Rhoda can't run... he's definitely more athletic and quicker than Leidner is.

Streveler was supposedly the second quickest guy on the team... didn't so much help.

But otherwise I'd like to see a QB off before I decide who can run and who can't. There is speed, and there is speed + making guys miss + making good choices.

If the staff is truly determined to not play Croft or Green at all this year then I would think they would do everything they can to limit the number of potential hits Rhoda could take because he might be more athletic but would be shocked if he was more durable then Mitch. Would expect to see a lot of quick short passes and runs.

Not sure on Lingen getting hurt but it seemed odd during that game that the starters didn't come out sooner then they did. I mean granted the announcers were trying to say it was still a game when we were up 30 but anyone watching knew there was no way Indiana State was coming back.

If the staff is truly determined to not play Croft or Green at all this year then I would think they would do everything they can to limit the number of potential hits Rhoda could take because he might be more athletic but would be shocked if he was more durable then Mitch. Would expect to see a lot of quick short passes and runs.

That makes sense.

Not sure on Lingen getting hurt but it seemed odd during that game that the starters didn't come out sooner then they did. I mean granted the announcers were trying to say it was still a game when we were up 30 but anyone watching knew there was no way Indiana State was coming back.

Well short passes and runs (with some random exceptions) is the typical game plan for new QB, particularly when he comes in due to injury.

Streveler was supposedly the second quickest guy on the team... didn't so much help.

But otherwise I'd like to see a QB off before I decide who can run and who can't. There is speed, and there is speed + making guys miss + making good choices.

Ok?

Streveler was fast, and ran for 161 yards in his start. How did that not help? My comment had nothing to do with passing ability.

You are wrong. Rule 9-1-4 is for a defenseless player, rule 9-1-3 is any player making forceable contact with the crown of his helmet
Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the
Helmet
ARTICLE 3. No player shall target and make forcible contact against an
opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.
(Rule 9-6) (A.R. 9-1-3-I)

You are correct that he is wrong but if you are asserting that the Iowa player led with the crown of his helmet you are wrong about that. The Iowa player turns his head and does not lead with the crown of it and he initiates contact with his right shoulder not the helmet. It was a good clean hit.

Ok? Again, where did I say Strevler was a good quarterback? Or make any prediction about how Rhoda would do?

Point being that if you're concerned that folks think "Rhoda can't run... he's definitely more athletic and quicker than Leidner is."

My point being it might be irrelevant.

I think how good someone is going to do in their position is always up for discussion.... we have seen faster guys than Mitch before, didn't help.

Point being that if you're concerned that folks think "Rhoda can't run... he's definitely more athletic and quicker than Leidner is."

My point being it might be irrelevant.

I think how good someone is going to do in their position is always up for discussion.... we have seen faster guys than Mitch before, didn't help.

What an odd point to try and make, when that wasn't the discussion at all. I simply got a kick out of people just assuming he can't run. I would imagine that was fairly simple for everyone else to understand.

What an odd point to try and make, when that wasn't the discussion at all. I simply got a kick out of people just assuming he can't run. I would imagine that was fairly simple for everyone else to understand.

Odd point about if something is relevant to the game / might actually matter or not?

Next topic: What is Mitch's favorite color?

A. This group of coaches has not produced a B1G QB......
B. They "really" never invested, or gave Streveler a chance......it was good Mitch game, bad Mitch game.
C. A saving grace of note....Rhoda does throw a better and more catchable ball then Mitch.
D. If Lingen can play it will help immensely.......
E. The most athletic QB we have is Marcus/Mark Williams, a Jay Johnson recruit.If he was healthy, or is he now healthy? Would he backup Rhoda versus Green?......
F. I went too two fall practices. After Mitch. here's how I ranked the QB's: Rhoda, Green/Williams a wash, Croft.......
Summary:A dilemma that could occur. If Mitch isn't cleared and Rhoda goes down who plays?

Top Bottom