Leidner Out Vs. MD

per Greder:

Tuesday morning, senior receiver Drew Wolitarsky encouraged Rhoda.

“I told him, ‘Hey, it’s on us this week,’ ” Wolitarsky said. “So we’re going to get together, watch film, get him prepared. He’s excited. I saw the big smile on his face. Obviously we’re going to miss Mitch out there, but he’ll still be at practice.”

Rhoda did not play during his sophomore season a year ago. He attempted one pass in a 51-14 blowout of Iowa during his freshman season in 2014.

Croft had his redshirt removed as a true freshman last season; he played little in three games, going 7 for 17 for 34 yards. Claeys would like to have Croft be redshirted as a sophomore this season.

Wolitarsky said he’s seen a lot of development from Rhoda, a former walk-on.

“Just to see the amount of work he’s put in, and the amount of talent he came in with that he’s really crafted, it’s amazing,” Wolitarsky said. “He got offered (a scholarship) last year, (and) that was big for him. A lot of confidence has grown in him, I see that on the field. The way he runs the huddle, the way he reads defenses, he’s become a much smarter player.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/11/gophers-list-qb-mitch-leidner-as-out-for-maryland-game/

Go Gophers!!

“Just to see the amount of work he’s put in, and the amount of talent he came in with that he’s really crafted, it’s amazing,”

Is Wolitarsky saying Croft didn't have a lot of talent coming in but has now built it up? ;)

Umm. He admitted today the symptoms popped up post-game Saturday. You can read his quotes from Sunday. Tell me why he lied...?

He also said he hadn't received the injury update yet - every week he says he hasn't gotten that yet when he's on the Sunday morning show.

I can't believe how quick people have given up on Tracey. Yes, it's been a couple of mediocre games, not any different than many games during the Kill era, Mason era, etc. yet, he has a lot of young players playing real well. The good news is that as fans we now expect them to win games like the last two, which didn't used to be the case so much. I also give him credit for standing up and simply saying they made mistakes, but they have the talent and will get it corrected.

So, let's see if he gets it corrected, letting the year play out before giving up on the coach or team. Nothing is going to change with the head coach during the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how it works in college, but in HS in MN, all players take a baseline test before the season. If they are suspected of having a concussion, the refs are supposed to take them out of the game to be evaluated by a trainer/medical person on the sidelines. If a concussion is confirmed, they retake the on-line test, and have to post a score that is within a certain percentage of their original baseline score. If they can't hit the required score, they don't play.

I knew a girl who got a concussion during her Sophomore year of basketball - never played again. I knew a kid who was a state-ranked wrestler - got a concussion the 2nd week of the FB season, missed the rest of the FB season and most of the wrestling season.

I have a hard time believing that colleges follow a less-stringent approach to concussions. But, anything is possible.

He also said he hadn't received the injury update yet - every week he says he hasn't gotten that yet when he's on the Sunday morning show.

I can't believe how quick people have given up on Tracey. Yes, it's been a couple of mediocre games, not any different than many games during the Kill era, Mason era, etc. yet, he has a lot of young players playing real well. The good news is that as fans we now expect them to win games like the last two, which didn't used to be the case so much. I also give him credit for standing up and simply saying they made mistakes, but they have the talent and will get it corrected.

So, let's see if he gets it corrected, letting the year play out before giving up on the coach or team. Nothing is going to change with the head coach during the year.

Not sure how you got all of that out of what I wrote. I never "gave up on the coach or team", I simply wrote a fact - I knew Leidner had a concussion on Saturday night, as did many others. Why did Claeys lie in his time with the media on Sunday?

Not sure how you got all of that out of what I wrote. I never "gave up on the coach or team", I simply wrote a fact - I knew Leidner had a concussion on Saturday night, as did many others. Why did Claeys lie in his time with the media on Sunday?

So your question is why would the coach or other people not know what some guy was guessing from the stands or from his couch?

Side question, don't want to start a new thread, but what is the current prognosis on Pirsig?

Not sure that people have given up on Tracy but I think it is the combo of the team struggling last year, expectations being raised by the staff in the off season saying this will be their best team yet and one that should contend and then watching the team go out in two straight games and lose extremely winnable games.

There is still time for the team and Claeys to turn it around but on the current trajectory it would be a tough sell to convince the new AD that he shouldn't go bring in "his guy" to run the show as opposed to keeping around the guy he inherited.

He's out. With the way this has been handled, Claeys would receive nothing but more criticism if he played him against Maryland even if he is cleared.

Claeys said himself on kfan it is up to the doctors so he does not know when he will be back but when asked about the maryland game he would not tie it to a game at all so i believe there may be some chance if he clears protocol he would not be out vs maryland.

Concussions are handled differently now than they were even a few years ago. Even going to class, watching TV- any activity that can be mentally taxing is discouraged for a few days. I remember not too long ago it was not uncommon to see players (NFL and College) returning the following week after a Concussion. I don't remember the last time I saw that. As a precaution, I think everyone is held out the following week. The odds of a Concussion multiply with each one and if not fully recovered, severe damage can be done if a second Concussion occurs before fully healed from the initial one. I would be amazed if he plays and I hope he doesn't. It's not that important to risk some cognitive ability to just get back on the field.

Michael Floyd went thru concussion protocol and played in the Cardinals' next game just in the last few weeks in the NFL. Not saying it happens all the time, but it's far from unheard of.

How did you know with certainty? Mason, Kill, and now Claeys all have said they don't get injury reports until Sunday. Knowing one of the former assistant coaches, I know that was true because he would often be surprised who was nicked up come Sunday afternoon.

Not sure that people have given up on Tracy but I think it is the combo of the team struggling last year, expectations being raised by the staff in the off season saying this will be their best team yet and one that should contend and then watching the team go out in two straight games and lose extremely winnable games.

There is still time for the team and Claeys to turn it around but on the current trajectory it would be a tough sell to convince the new AD that he shouldn't go bring in "his guy" to run the show as opposed to keeping around the guy he inherited.

I agree with that. However, there are some/many who have already given up on him. I am frustrated with how it's gone, but a lot of time left and there have been a lot of challenges as well.

How did you know with certainty? Mason, Kill, and now Claeys all have said they don't get injury reports until Sunday. Knowing one of the former assistant coaches, I know that was true because he would often be surprised who was nicked up come Sunday afternoon.

Because I talked with someone who was in the locker room after the game. If you don't want to believe me, that's totally fine. But feel free to look through reporters tweets from Saturday night. They knew as well.

So your question is why would the coach or other people not know what some guy was guessing from the stands or from his couch?

You've been fighting with MaroonGold1 on this point for this entire thread. MG1 had some inside information about this over the weekend. I'm not sure why you're so unwilling to concede the battle.

You've been fighting with MaroonGold1 on this point for this entire thread. MG1 had some inside information about this over the weekend. I'm not sure why you're so unwilling to concede the battle.

We've had a lot of folks show up with inside info.... I have no problem taking issue with it.

I understand not wanting to take an anonymous message board posters word for it. He doesn't know who I am. But yeah, I'm not sure why this argument is continuing. I am telling a fact - not guessing from the stands. If you choose not to believe me, no sweat off my back.. but move along

I agree with that. However, there are some/many who have already given up on him. I am frustrated with how it's gone, but a lot of time left and there have been a lot of challenges as well.

I think the only way anything would happen during the season is if the team were to drop the next couple as well. Say they go on the road to Maryland and get beat and then turn around and lose at home to a garbage Rutgers team, I think at that point the calls for Claeys to be fired would be pretty loud.

I would fully expect however for Coyle to let the year play out and then make a decision after the season as to what to do with Claeys.

I can't believe how quick people have given up on Tracey.

This team should have the jug, pig and bell in Claey's first seven BT games as head coach. I can see that impacting their thoughts on Tracy.

We've had a lot of folks show up with inside info.... I have no problem taking issue with it.

I think it's become pretty clear as details come out that he knew something.

For what it's worth, we don't have a lot of folks showing up with inside info and actually claiming it's fact rather than speculation. Over the past 15 years or so, every time someone comes on with cryptic information that someone has been arrested was injured in practice, they are immediately discredited. Sometimes it turns out they're wrong. But more often than not, the bad news is confirmed in the media within hours.

If Claeys knew he had a concussion and put him back in/kept him in the game on Saturday, he should lose his job immediately.

If Claeys' staff didn't follow the proper precautions when a concussion could have been suspected, then covered it up after the fact, they should all lose their jobs immediately.

Thats a pretty naive, idealistic view of what should happen.

Probably half of college football or NFL coaches would or would have lost their jobs by now if thats how it worked.

I think it's become pretty clear as details come out that he knew something.

For what it's worth, we don't have a lot of folks showing up with inside info and actually claiming it's fact rather than speculation. Over the past 15 years or so, every time someone comes on with cryptic information that someone has been arrested was injured in practice, they are immediately discredited. Sometimes it turns out they're wrong. But more often than not, the bad news is confirmed in the media within hours.

I think it's pretty hard to discredit or prove a theory about what a coach was thinking at a press conference like if he thought he was covering for someone or not... that's stuff only Claeys would know, unless he told someone "Hey man I'll cover for you!" and then someone blabbed to someone else in the locker room. Otherwise it is pretty unknowable.

I think it's pretty hard to discredit or prove a theory about what a coach was thinking at a press conference like if he thought he was covering for someone or not... that's stuff only Claeys would know, unless he told someone "Hey man I'll cover for you!" and then someone blabbed to someone else in the locker room. Otherwise it is pretty unknowable.

You seem to really be grasping onto that. Claeys was not who told me all of this, so I guess technically you are right, that part (covering for medical staff who never examined him during the game) is not a "Fact". Hopefully that admission will end your straw grasping...

I was told this was the reason Claeys said what he said on Sunday. Which I also think is a pretty logical assumption that most of us would have come to on our own. What would be his other motivations for not being forthright on Sunday? As I said, the concussion stuff was known by the immediate post game Saturday

You seem to really be grasping onto that. Claeys was not who told me all of this, so I guess technically you are right, that part (covering for medical staff who never examined him during the game) is not a "Fact". Hopefully that admission will end your straw grasping...

I was told this was the reason Claeys said what he said on Sunday. Which I also think is a pretty logical assumption that most of us would have come to on our own. What would be his other motivations for not being forthright on Sunday? As I said, the concussion stuff was known by the immediate post game Saturday

Did they tell you if Claeys was told what was up with Mitch before the conference?

If so this source really spilled a lot of beans...

Top Bottom