Leidner Out Vs. MD

Does this mean Leidner HAS to sit for Saturday? Or could his status change?

If he doesn't practice all week, I assume it's a moot point.

He can play. There's no rule or anything that says he can't, provided he passes concussion protocol.

In one game, the Gophers were 4-point underdogs on the road. In the other, the Gophers started as 2-point underdogs and ended up as 2-point favorites after heavy money came in. They were 50/50 at best in both games. Disappointing? Sure. "Awful"? Calm down with the hyperbole.

I understand where you're coming from, but if we are ok with losing when the bookies say we should, why even play the games?

What possible reason would they have to lie about the reason he is sitting out?

Just feels like a desperate move by coach in over his head to course-correct his only shot at big time success.

Just feels like a desperate move by coach in over his head to course-correct his only shot at big time success.

Then he would just bench Mitch. To think he is making up that ML7 has a concussion and that others involved will "play along" is pure looney bird talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitch was a runner, not a thrower on this play. He is a runner and not a defenseless player, so the targeting rules do not apply on this play.

Mitch was giving himself up and going out of bounds, so could be considered defenseless. It's the same reason the PsU kicker is getting those calls, he was giving himself up. If he was running full speed and waters blocked him it wouldn't have been a penalty. He was slowing up and giving himself up.

Or like he said Mitch just didn't show any symptoms.

He's not in the video if that's the hit we're talking about.

Claeys on his radio show. Mitch showed no signs until after the game. No coaches, medical staff, officials, or the independent spotter in the booth spotted anything. He went into protocol on Sunday.

"OUT on the position chart means that the player is not cleared to play" that can change daily.

Signs after the game (hence why he wasn't made available to the media)

“No, he’s not banged up,” Claeys said Sunday. “The defense played well; they were the ones that deserved to talk to the media.”

Asked about rumors on message boards that Leidner had concussion symptoms after the game, Claeys said, “He never would have gone back in the game if he had a concussion. He jumped right back up and went back in and played.

“So if that is the case, they know more than I do,” Claeys added. “That’s the problem with message boards, but that’s part of life.”

Mitch was giving himself up and going out of bounds, so could be considered defenseless. It's the same reason the PsU kicker is getting those calls, he was giving himself up. If he was running full speed and waters blocked him it wouldn't have been a penalty. He was slowing up and giving himself up.

You're comparing a legal hit to a hit that was 1-3 seconds after the play. Look at the clip. Mitch turns up field, gets drilled in front of three officials and not one player on our sideline took exception to the hit. One coach possibly looks to question the hit from the clip.

Yeah .. guess I'm trying to get my head around the sequence of events (if the rumor is true):

1. Leidner suffers a concussion during the game. Staff doesn't notice.
2. Leidner is tested and diagnosed after the game.
3. Claeys chooses not to mention it to keep heat off the staff for not noticing during the game.

What I don't get is how it wasn't noticed during the game. Someone didn't do their job. That's a staff failure, putting a college kid at risk of brain trauma.

Isn't it possible that the symptoms were delayed?

He isnt necessarily out vs maryland. He is out until the doctors say he can play again which could end up being before the maryland game.

The hit looked brutal with more than one person in the stands around me saying 'Concussion' and 'Targeting'. The replay showed helmet to chin- and it looked even worse. I could not believe he got up as quickly as he did. You may not like him, but you cant deny he's a tough kid. I am guessing- maybe so tough that he fooled the staff into thinking he was fine.

I've had Concussion training, and it's not that uncommon for symptoms to alleviate after some time has passed since the initial impact. There is a good chance he did not realize how serious it was until after the game as well.

He isnt necessarily out vs maryland. He is out until the doctors say he can play again which could end up being before the maryland game.

He's out. With the way this has been handled, Claeys would receive nothing but more criticism if he played him against Maryland even if he is cleared.

He's out. With the way this has been handled, Claeys would receive nothing but more criticism if he played him against Maryland even if he is cleared.

If he's cleared I don't think there is an issue playing him... the drama so far is only forum folks making stuff up...

Fair points, all. It's probable that Mitch did not show any signs until after the game, and therefore fault should not be put onto anyone for his going back into the game.

I let my perspective that Claeys runs a less-than-buttoned-up ship get in the way of the facts of the case.

Fair points, all. It's probable that Mitch did not show any signs until after the game, and therefore fault should not be put onto anyone for his going back into the game.

I let my perspective that Claeys runs a less-than-buttoned-up ship get in the way of the facts of the case.

Certainly possible the symptoms didn't pop up until immediately after the game (no media availability). But that doesn't exactly clear the medical staff for not at least examining him after a hit plenty of us on TV and in the Crowd saw as clear helmet to helmet

If he's cleared I don't think there is an issue playing him... the drama so far is only forum folks making stuff up...

Concussions are handled differently now than they were even a few years ago. Even going to class, watching TV- any activity that can be mentally taxing is discouraged for a few days. I remember not too long ago it was not uncommon to see players (NFL and College) returning the following week after a Concussion. I don't remember the last time I saw that. As a precaution, I think everyone is held out the following week. The odds of a Concussion multiply with each one and if not fully recovered, severe damage can be done if a second Concussion occurs before fully healed from the initial one. I would be amazed if he plays and I hope he doesn't. It's not that important to risk some cognitive ability to just get back on the field.

I think it can be understood that we all hope he recovers from this with no ill effect.

Why would anyone think otherwise?

Good that's what I hope too. It was just your posts about giving him a hug and extending Mitch's contract that seemed off the mark.

He has had bad games and plenty of good games. He has been a part of why the team is at least mediocre again. And he has been very tough and despite these past two games, he usually has been a winner of close games.

Good that's what I hope too. It was just your posts about giving him a hug and extending Mitch's contract that seemed off the mark.

He has had bad games and plenty of good games. He has been a part of why the team is at least mediocre again. And he has been very tough and despite these past two games, he usually has been a winner of close games.

It was a play off of the comment I was responding to...

per Greder:

Tuesday morning, senior receiver Drew Wolitarsky encouraged Rhoda.

“I told him, ‘Hey, it’s on us this week,’ ” Wolitarsky said. “So we’re going to get together, watch film, get him prepared. He’s excited. I saw the big smile on his face. Obviously we’re going to miss Mitch out there, but he’ll still be at practice.”

Rhoda did not play during his sophomore season a year ago. He attempted one pass in a 51-14 blowout of Iowa during his freshman season in 2014.

Croft had his redshirt removed as a true freshman last season; he played little in three games, going 7 for 17 for 34 yards. Claeys would like to have Croft be redshirted as a sophomore this season.

Wolitarsky said he’s seen a lot of development from Rhoda, a former walk-on.

“Just to see the amount of work he’s put in, and the amount of talent he came in with that he’s really crafted, it’s amazing,” Wolitarsky said. “He got offered (a scholarship) last year, (and) that was big for him. A lot of confidence has grown in him, I see that on the field. The way he runs the huddle, the way he reads defenses, he’s become a much smarter player.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/11/gophers-list-qb-mitch-leidner-as-out-for-maryland-game/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom