Leidner Out Vs. MD

Well did they test him? So far folks say they didn't.

I'm not sure if Claey's is the guy who makes that call. In fact if he is the guy who makes the call to test or not that doesn't make sense.... so if they failed to test him, who didn't do the thing?

Yeah .. guess I'm trying to get my head around the sequence of events (if the rumor is true):

1. Leidner suffers a concussion during the game. Staff doesn't notice.
2. Leidner is tested and diagnosed after the game.
3. Claeys chooses not to mention it to keep heat off the staff for not noticing during the game.

What I don't get is how it wasn't noticed during the game. Someone didn't do their job. That's a staff failure, putting a college kid at risk of brain trauma.

Well did they test him? So far folks say they didn't.

I'm not sure if Claey's is the guy who makes that call. In fact if he is the guy who makes the call to test or not that doesn't make sense.... so if they failed to test him, who didn't do the thing?

Will be interesting. They got rid of the team doctor during the summer. The top two trainers who I think were here since Mason left in the offseason.

Isn't there supposed to be somebody in the press box monitoring it or was that just a Michigan reaction.

Yeah .. guess I'm trying to get my head around the sequence of events (if the rumor is true):

3. Claeys chooses not to mention it to keep heat off the staff for not noticing during the game.

What I don't get is how it wasn't noticed during the game. Someone didn't do their job. That's a staff failure, putting a college kid at risk of brain trauma.

Ding ding ding. And yes, someone messed up not noticing because he noticeably took awhile to get up, and stumbled briefly when he did. They then ran the ball twice (in Iowa territory) and punted, so he was back on the sideline quickly

Makes more sense that at most someone missed it (not Claeys as I'm pretty sure that's not just the HC's job). So they didn't know.

It really doesn't save the staff anything to not mention it after the game, but you end up mentioning later.

I'm not sure he knew at that point.

Also is Claeys required to tell the media about a concussion or anything? I'm not sure that's the case either. Some coaches straight up don't even talk about injuries...

If these two awful losses weren't the start, I believe this is officially the slow march to the end of the Claeys era.

In one game, the Gophers were 4-point underdogs on the road. In the other, the Gophers started as 2-point underdogs and ended up as 2-point favorites after heavy money came in. They were 50/50 at best in both games. Disappointing? Sure. "Awful"? Calm down with the hyperbole.

Until all this surfaced I have heard next to no one speculating on here that Leidner had a concussion so I am not sure how you can fault the medical staff for not noticing during the game. If the kid doesn't report any symptoms there is no sure fire way for the staff to know. Leider has proven to be very tough over his time as a Gopher, I can see him not disclosing it to the medical staff if he wasn't feeling quite right. Let's not throw the medical staff under the bus until more details come out about the situation.

In one game, the Gophers were 4-point underdogs on the road. In the other, the Gophers started as 2-point underdogs and ended up as 2-point favorites after heavy money came in. They were 50/50 at best in both games. Disappointing? Sure. "Awful"? Calm down with the hyperbole.

You realize being 3 point underdogs at Penn St. is as much of an indictment on MN as it is on Penn St... right?

Until all this surfaced I have heard next to no one speculating on here that Leidner had a concussion so I am not sure how you can fault the medical staff for not noticing during the game. If the kid doesn't report any symptoms there is no sure fire way for the staff to know. Leider has proven to be very tough over his time as a Gopher, I can see him not disclosing it to the medical staff if he wasn't feeling quite right. Let's not throw the medical staff under the bus until more details come out about the situation.

On GH we'd question why the world trade center wasn't designed to survive fully loaded airplane impacts on 9/12....

Compared to Vegas spread, not awful. The on-field product, though more-so in last weekend's game, was just sad. Especially when this is the "best team" since Claeys has been here. An able B1G caliber football coach would've won both games.

You realize being 3 point underdogs at Penn St. is as much of an indictment on MN as it is on Penn St... right?

You don't get to have it both ways. Either: 1. the Gophers aren't very good and lost toss-up games; or 2. they are pretty good and suffered "awful" losses. Pick one. It can't be both.

Makes more sense that at most someone missed it (not Claeys as I'm pretty sure that's not just the HC's job). So they didn't know.

It really doesn't save the staff anything to not mention it after the game, but you end up mentioning later.

I'm not sure he knew at that point.

Also is Claeys required to tell the media about a concussion or anything? I'm not sure that's the case either. Some coaches straight up don't even talk about injuries...

Generally I think the question is: should Claeys pay for (or be responsible for) his staff's failure, and to what extent? I don't know if I can answer it clearly right now but I do think the leader of the pack has to take some heat when the people reporting to him fail.

You don't get to have it both ways. Either: 1. the Gophers aren't very good and lost toss-up games; or 2. they are pretty good and suffered "awful" losses. Pick one. It can't be both.

Both of which would be an indictment on Claeys, right? Seeing as this team was "the best in 6 years here"?

I don't believe TC has to release any injury info. Likely he isn't the one here who did. That hack Doogie was saying it on Saturday and Ryan Burns speculated it yesterday on his podcast. Maybe TC (naively) thought he could keep the exact injury under wraps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, go for it. But you don't get to mix-and-match. Which one is it?

Losing to that Iowa team at home, is both disappointing and an awful loss. Use whatever terminology you want... just don't try to defend that sort of effort on Saturday vs a team that lost to NDSU, Northwestern, and snuck by Rutgers by saying "only 2 point favorites!"

Generally I think the question is: should Claeys pay for (or be responsible for) his staff's failure, and to what extent? I don't know if I can answer it clearly right now but I do think the leader of the pack has to take some heat when the people reporting to him fail.

Possibly.

I mean the whole concussion thing didn't come up until now so it's not like it was obvious. And they were still calling passing plays (and not running...) so I'm fairly sure that at the very least they thought Mitch was ok.

I think it IS possible to miss a concussion and not have it be the end of the world. It would be nice if it never happened but I'm not sure that is realistic.

Losing to that Iowa team at home, is both disappointing and an awful loss. Use whatever terminology you want... just don't try to defend that sort of effort on Saturday vs a team that lost to NDSU, Northwestern, and snuck by Rutgers by saying "only 2 point favorites!"

I'm not trying to defend anything. I'm saying that either the Gophers are good and underperformed or they are not good and performed as expected. Trying to hit them with both (they are not good and they underperformed) is deceitful and disingenuous.

All I know about these situations is that it's really important to place blame.

At least we should see more of Shannon Brooks running the ball this week. Given Leidner's potential concussion situation this past weekend, even more of a crime they didn't feed Brooks the ball all day long!

Anyone know when "the hit" happened?

Not all signs and symptoms are created equal. Mitch got up from the (presumed) hit and went right back on the field. By the time he got back to sidelines and for the remainder of game, he may not have shown any signs. You can't always spot and diagnose from the stands.

If anyone believes that Claeys or anyone on the staff would knowingly fail to address a possible concussion during the game, I think they are grossly off target.

That being said, that was a pretty solid hit as Mitch went out of bounds... clear head to head contact. I think it is safe to assume that when Mitch bounced back up, he gave no obvious indication of an issue, nor did he volunteer anything.

If Claeys wasn't trying to protect someone, why did he come out and tell the media on Sunday there was no concussion when Mitch was in the concussion protocol on Sunday, and failed the 1st test that day?

Why did he say he knew what the play call was at the end of the Michigan game and was fine with it? He's clearly willing to lie rather than throw others under the bus. That may be admirable, but it isn't smart.

2nd possession of 2nd half. Gophers led 7-6 and had the ball in Iowa territory

Looks like about 1:10:20 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9RMZwknhQU

It really doesn't look like any head contact on the video (I'm not saying it wasn't, just that you can't see it in the video). I can see how the refs missed the targeting call and how the staff could have missed a possible concussion-type hit.

Top Bottom