Leidner, Best Quarterback in Gopher Modern History?

I really couldn't understand your post until I went to an English to wren translation website and now it makes sense:

I don't "care" one iota...you can hope...or play the "fantasy recruiting game" about what his stats look like...until they are meticulously...and permanently etched, forever and ever, from here on out, throughout our futures so our childrens childrens children can review those stats that were entered into the history books AND what kind of ball he throws AND we won't know that UNTIL he ACTUALLY throws that football for the team represented by our new mitch and we can record those yardage metrics in our history books, for the most part; With THIS roster, THIS O-Line, and this offense, I HOPE our new mitch will flourish will win a pretty fair amount of big 10 conference games as long as he's the QB. AND THEN, and only then, and not one moment before when we view our new mitch big 10 wins AND compare the number of conference wins in the big 10 conference with the number of losses suffered by our new mitch in conference games in the big 10 conference. If he starts for the majority of the next 3 years in big 10 conference games, and we record those wins and losses, because the only thing that we can truly count on is the historical account according the comparing his big 10 conference wins and big 10 conference losses (and history tells us he likely will NOT, but I HOPE he will...BUT it still counts for nothing until we record those outcomes in our history books), he'll rack up a fairly nice number of big 10 conference wins AND losses along the way.

;-o) (=====8

Last edited by Ogee Oglethorpe; Today at 3:43 PM

My question is what the heck is this smiley and, if it's what it looks like on the bottom part, how did it pass the message board sensors?

"Leidner may be a star someday, who knows?" That shows an open mind. Nobody knows. There are 100 land mines to derail his ability to achieve greatness if it exists. All true. Also pretty obvious.

I believe there are many reasons to believe he can be the best quarterback in Gopher modern history. #1 is his work ethic.
My perception is that his is greater than most people. #2 Are his physical gifts. He is 6 foot 5 and very athletic. He can run.
He has a very strong arm. His work ethic will continue to improve his accuracy. #3 He's a leader. He loves to play. That's contagious to his teammates. #4 He has opportunity. He is the starter. Zero question, it is his team. That opportunity includes all the offensive linemen back with the exception one often injured graduation. He has a 1,000 yard rusher in the backfield. He has a forgotten guy who averaged 5.5 yards per carry in limited appearances. He will have two backs offering "lightning in a bottle" to supplement the pounders. He has three emerging receivers in house. Devon Wright may become David Cobb in 2014 at wide receiver. There are three highly rated wide receivers coming in the summer. He has a 6'9" tight end who can run and catch. He has Maxx and a stable of other tight ends. Mitch has opportunity. #5 He has experience.
This is his third spring under Jerry Kill yet he is going to only be a sophomore. He started four games and the team was 3 and 1 in those games. #6 We expect to have a good defense to compliment an improved offense. More opportunity. #7 He knows it's his team. He knows we can be really good. He is confident! #8 We have been to two bowl games. We know what we are doing as a team. We are tweaking things, not installing systems.

So, would I say anyone else could do the same thing? Nobody else has his, talent, size, leadership, arm, experience, or opportunity in modern Gopher history. I think he is going to seize the opportunity and run with it. Great moments are born from great opportunity and Mitch Leidner has the ability and the opportunity!

Regarding last year...maybe I just saw things unfold differently than you did. But I have plenty of reasons to believe
what I'm saying. I named eight. Including my life experiences to reach these conclusions, possibilities or visions if you prefer.

60s guy, you're going to catch plenty of flak for this but I hear you. I like to be irrationally exuberant sometimes and I happen to agree with every point you made. Every fan cycles through the phases of irrational exuberance to the depths of denial, anger, bargaining, and acceptance.

Some are still in the denial phase of Hair Jesus sulking off the jersey.

I'm ready to roll with someone who has the eye of the tiger. He seems genuinely excited and has the physical tools. We will see if he can begin to master the mental aspects and ball protection this coming year (or I can think of a few posters whose heads will explode). I saw a lot of flashes from Liedner last season that others here dismiss. I'm confident he's going to improve significantly this offseason.

The offensive line and run game should be even better this year, helping the passing game; a better offense will help the reloading defense out. I have an extremely positive outlook on next season. *

*retain right to change my outlook after first preseason game. Anyone remember that sinking feeling after the first UNLV drive and our lack of push on offense? I do.

One big down fall of Leiner last year was.. he never threw the ball away when pressured. He also chose to keep the ball on most read options, when u had a back who was putting up big numbers. Less running let the backs do that.. and get ride of the damn ball when he is pressured. Another year of experience he may learn these things.

Guys. He can't even cover up the ball when he's running. End of discussion.

Remember Adrian peterson in the NFC title game? It can be fixed.

Yes it can. But if you're working on that then you're spending less time developing better quarterback skills and instead trying to develop a skill that will keep you from costing your team every game you play in.

Adrian Peterson was a stud who had one glaring weakness (two if you count pas protection). Mitch Leidner is a project.

I remember Kirkwood fumbling on what had to be one his first few carries about 3 yrs ago. He didn't play until the next year. If Mitch continues to put the ball on the ground he will be out. It's that simple. As many of you have said I'm sure that's one of the main reasons Nelson was given every chance in the world to succeed last year.

I'm optimistic. It seems like one of those things that has to be practiced until it's second nature which will take some time... but I don't understand why it seems like an insurmountable task to some. By the sound of it he is a tireless and intense worker. I'm more worried about throwing into triple coverage or taking bad sacks.

He's a project but so is every other freshman. Most improve rapidly. Let's see what he can do this year before we pass judgement.

I remember Kirkwood fumbling on what had to be one his first few carries about 3 yrs ago. He didn't play until the next year.

As a true freshman in 2010 he appeared in 4 games with 27 carries, and then injured his leg and was granted a medical hardship waiver.

The following 3 years he appeared in 12, 13, and 10 games - with carries numbering 63, 218, and 52 last year.

Sick stuff e.bigelow. And what does that sad, sick stuff perpetrated by some unregistered poster have to do with the topic of the future greatness of leidner? Change the names being attacked to unregistered user on the left and e.bigelow on the right...or vice versa. Oh, that's right. It is one poster trying to trash another poster and has NOTHING to do with the topic of the thread. Such nonsense and trash will soon swallow-up the significance of the purpose of this thread. They call the insertion of that attack on a poster nothing more than an unregistered user striking a blow against human decency and is very undignified for the image of this GOPHER HOLE web site.

Hopefully, the young quarterback will get this offense down and will quit coughing up the ball. THAT is of much more concern than the nasty intent of this unregistered user and people exactly like you, e.bigelow. Leidner will have to do a MUCH better job than the board moderators have done in maintaining the integrity of this thread when he is running the show during the fall of 2014.

As a true freshman in 2010 he appeared in 4 games with 27 carries, and then injured his leg and was granted a medical hardship waiver.

The following 3 years he appeared in 12, 13, and 10 games - with carries numbering 63, 218, and 52 last year.

I guess I remembered it a little differently. :cool02: getting old or something. Are you sure he injured it in that game? Or in practice?

I am certain he was pulled from the game. That's about the only thing I'm sure of.

"Leidner may be a star someday, who knows?" That shows an open mind. Nobody knows. There are 100 land mines to derail his ability to achieve greatness if it exists. All true. Also pretty obvious.

I believe there are many reasons to believe he can be the best quarterback in Gopher modern history. #1 is his work ethic.
My perception is that his is greater than most people. #2 Are his physical gifts. He is 6 foot 5 and very athletic. He can run.
He has a very strong arm. His work ethic will continue to improve his accuracy. #3 He's a leader. He loves to play. That's contagious to his teammates. #4 He has opportunity. He is the starter. Zero question, it is his team. That opportunity includes all the offensive linemen back with the exception one often injured graduation. He has a 1,000 yard rusher in the backfield. He has a forgotten guy who averaged 5.5 yards per carry in limited appearances. He will have two backs offering "lightning in a bottle" to supplement the pounders. He has three emerging receivers in house. Devon Wright may become David Cobb in 2014 at wide receiver. There are three highly rated wide receivers coming in the summer. He has a 6'9" tight end who can run and catch. He has Maxx and a stable of other tight ends. Mitch has opportunity. #5 He has experience.
This is his third spring under Jerry Kill yet he is going to only be a sophomore. He started four games and the team was 3 and 1 in those games. #6 We expect to have a good defense to compliment an improved offense. More opportunity. #7 He knows it's his team. He knows we can be really good. He is confident! #8 We have been to two bowl games. We know what we are doing as a team. We are tweaking things, not installing systems.

So, would I say anyone else could do the same thing? Nobody else has his, talent, size, leadership, arm, experience, or opportunity in modern Gopher history. I think he is going to seize the opportunity and run with it. Great moments are born from great opportunity and Mitch Leidner has the ability and the opportunity!

Regarding last year...maybe I just saw things unfold differently than you did. But I have plenty of reasons to believe
what I'm saying. I named eight. Including my life experiences to reach these conclusions, possibilities or visions if you prefer.

Again, I'm not down on Leidner, in fact the practice reports at GI make me very excited, but still... couldn't all your points except arguably #6 have been said about Weber, Gray, Shortell & Nelson before Leidner? All had great work ethics, Leidner's is no better as far as I can tell. All had great physical gifts, Leidner is no more athletic or gifted than any of those guys imo. All were leaders according to the coaches and players. All were given the opportunity to start. All had experience & all had been to bowl games.

Shoert answer, NO

Again, I'm not down on Leidner, in fact the practice reports at GI make me very excited, but still... couldn't all your points except arguably #6 have been said about Weber, Gray, Shortell & Nelson before Leidner? All had great work ethics, Leidner's is no better as far as I can tell. All had great physical gifts, Leidner is no more athletic or gifted than any of those guys imo. All were leaders according to the coaches and players. All were given the opportunity to start. All had experience & all had been to bowl games.

Obviously, ( hopefully) my assertion is something that can only be proven by Leidner, not by me. That can only be assessed
come December/January. So, it's kinda pointless to argue or debate about it. Either he does or doesn't.

If you don't see the differences with the people you listed I can't make it any more clear than I did. The circumstances are not at all similar. I believe he will be very successful. You and almost everyone else disagree. Cool. Let's re-visit the topic after the season. Tired of the Leidner bashing. Wasn't my intent. Don't mind people thinking I'm wrong but not cool with all the people ridiculing Leidner.

I'm a huge gopher fan. Our quarterbacks have been terrible. I didn't realize how bad until I looked at that list. I cant wait until most of the quarterbacks on our top ten of all time have more touchdowns than interceptions. We're in a 50 year slump, and there are many ways to show that. The best way might be our top ten QB list. Leidner might be in our top ten list. What does that even mean?

I'm a huge gopher fan. Our quarterbacks have been terrible. I didn't realize how bad until I looked at that list. I cant wait until most of the quarterbacks on our top ten of all time have more touchdowns than interceptions. We're in a 50 year slump, and there are many ways to show that. The best way might be our top ten QB list. Leidner might be in our top ten list. What does that even mean?

I completely agree. This bott12 character seems to really have his pulse on America.

Luckily you don't have to wait long! We did it! Seven of the 10 on that list have more touchdowns than interceptions.

Have we ever had a QB from Texas?

He didn't stay here but Spergon Wynn was from Texas.

Devon Wright may become David Cobb at wr?? He's never even caught a ball...

Leidner may be a star someday, who knows, but there's no reason other than Maroon colored glasses to believe this is true. He wasn't even the starter last year.

There is very little doubt that Kill and his staff were seriously thinking about making Leidner the starter before the bowl game against Syracuse. Probably the main reason they didn't was their loyalty to Nelson. They wanted to give him every opportunity to reassert his claim as the undisputed QB and leader of the team. But it was shocking how little time it took Kill to yank Nelson and put him on the bench for the rest of the game.

All season long I thought Leidner was a significantly better passer than Nelson but was not being given sufficient opportunity to prove it in the games. If he weren't for his problems hanging onto the football I believe they would have made the decision to go with Leidner earlier in the season before the team went on their four game Big 10 winning streak. I'm with 60's Guy. If Leidner doesn't get hurt I am convinced that he will be considered the best Gopher QB since most GopherHolers have been alive.

Almost everything is in place for Leidner to make it happen in the next three years. The coaching staff, offensive line, running backs, and tight ends are all there for him. All he needs now are wide receivers who know how to get open and catch the ball when it is thrown to them. We haven't seen that for quite awhile around here.

Top Bottom