Leidner, Best Quarterback in Gopher Modern History?

60's Guy

Reaction score
I believe he will be a top 3 all time quarterback at a minimum.
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/passers.html

This ranking above is by career yards. On that basis he may not get enough attempts to overtake Weber.

If Weber is our best quarterback in modern Gopher football, then I think Leidner will be better.
Does he led us to a couple Rose Bowls and a national championship ala Sandy Stephens. I dunno.
But I believe he will have more success than Weber or any of the other 9 guys listed.

I know some of you think he can't play. I'm just saying he is going to be our best quarterback
in a very long time. Leader, runner, passer, winner.

Remember he was a passing quarterback in high school. He will learn to protect the football as a runner.

Anybody disagree?

Do you want someone to disagree?

I'd like people to express their opinion. My sense from reading other threads was the majority may violently disagree? Whatever anyone's opinion is, we won't have much confirmation until next winter. I just feel Leidner is gonna flourish and wanted to say so.

You need to add rushing yards and rushing TDs to even get close to comparing the 10 QB on this list.

Foggie had over 2,000 rushing yards and 24 rushing TD's.
AAK added over 1,100 and 16, for example.

Assuming he is the starter for most of the games over the next three years (and I don't think that is a lock by any stretch of the imagination) he will have zero shot of catching Weber in yards and in this offense will have a very tough time getting into the top 4. Crazy idea....let's see how he looks now that he is the #1 guy before deciding if he is going to finish as one of the best ever at the U.

I'd like people to express their opinion. My sense from reading other threads was the majority may violently disagree? Whatever anyone's opinion is, we won't have much confirmation until next winter. I just feel Leidner is gonna flourish and wanted to say so.

You may "think" he will flourish and want to say he will flourish all you want. However, until he plays in the games and actually does flourish...it is all just hype, hope and the smoke coming from your little pipe dream.

I HOPE he will flourish. But, that counts for nothing. Until the outcome of what he does is safely entered into the game day statistic sheets that will become part of his "permanent record" in the history book that maintains the records of Golden Gopher Football, what you think, feel and hope really is ONLY what you think feel and hope. It doesn't count for anything. The young man has to ACTUALLY go out there on the football field on Game Day Saturdays and actually PLAY the games.

Then, we can record the yardage he actually puts up. We can also record the Conference wins that he leads the team to. And in the end, the number of conference wins will actually be the ultimate record for any and every quarterback to chase. And that statistic is rather easy to determine. Because it measures the success of the TEAM...and not just the quarterback. Football IS the ultimate TEAM Game!

i'm not sure ML would start on any other BT teams. This includes Rutgers.

Win the Big Ten, lead the Gophers to the Rose Bowl and he will be.

You may "think" he will flourish and want to say he will flourish all you want. However, until he plays in the games and actually does flourish...it is all just hype, hope and the smoke coming from your little pipe dream.

I HOPE he will flourish. But, that counts for nothing. Until the outcome of what he does is safely entered into the game day statistic sheets that will become part of his "permanent record" in the history book that maintains the records of Golden Gopher Football, what you think, feel and hope really is ONLY what you think feel and hope. It doesn't count for anything. The young man has to ACTUALLY go out there on the football field on Game Day Saturdays and actually PLAY the games.

Then, we can record the yardage he actually puts up. We can also record the Conference wins that he leads the team to. And in the end, the number of conference wins will actually be the ultimate record for any and every quarterback to chase. And that statistic is rather easy to determine. Because it measures the success of the TEAM...and not just the quarterback. Football IS the ultimate TEAM Game!

was scared this wouldn't get in there :D

He has four..............that's right 4 starts in his college career.

Back it up.

You need to add rushing yards and rushing TDs to even get close to comparing the 10 QB on this list.

Foggie had over 2,000 rushing yards and 24 rushing TD's.
AAK added over 1,100 and 16, for example.

I agree. Leidner added 498 rushing yards and 7 TD's in 3 starts....for example.

I'm not saying he is the best Gopher quarterback in history today.
I'm saying he will be....of those 10 guys. It is rather pointless to say he is after he has accomplished the numbers in the record books and proven it, three years out. I'm just saying that's what I think is going to happen...before it happens. Not just saying it. It what I see coming.

This ranking above is by career yards. On that basis he may not get enough attempts to overtake Weber.

If Weber is our best quarterback in modern Gopher football, then I think Leidner will be better.
Does he led us to a couple Rose Bowls and a national championship ala Sandy Stephens. I dunno.
But I believe he will have more success than Weber or any of the other 9 guys listed.

I know some of you think he can't play. I'm just saying he is going to be our best quarterback

Remember he was a passing quarterback in high school. He will learn to protect the football as a runner.

Anybody disagree?

Two questions:

1. What are you on?
2. Can I have some?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would change the title of this thread to "Leidner, Best Day 1 Practice Quarterback in Modern Gopher History?"

I would change the title of this thread to "Leidner, Best Day 1 Practice Quarterback in Modern Gopher History?"

Haha...we could but I've only seen two. It's his team. He knows it, you know it. That's going to make a difference. He has fun playing, that's contagious.

Jeshurun, I'm just high on life it's Ash Wednesday.

If 'modern history' started yesterday, then yes, he is. :cool:

Wait a minute, I thought he was a bust and we were moving forward with Dimonic until next year when ___________ signs

Really? We've come to this as a topic? It must be a cold, slow day in Gopherland.

I just love that Adam Webber is the bar we are trying to beat. Classic.

Who's Webber?

He was QB here for 4 years.... oh wait, you are on me for adding an extra 'b' to his name. I see. You really knew who I was talking about, but thought you would point out that my phone keyboard might make a typo when pecking at it. Thanks for your input.

Weber was making shallow timing based 'out' throws to the field side as a freshman that I haven't seen Mitch make. I don't thin Mitch will ever be as good a passer as Weber. But he can be as good a passer as Tim Tebow and Tebow won the Heisman so who cares. He doesn't have to be a great thrower for the Gophers to win games.

He was QB here for 4 years.... oh wait, you are on me for adding an extra 'b' to his name. I see. You really knew who I was talking about, but thought you would point out that my phone keyboard might make a typo when pecking at it. Thanks for your input.

Likewise...

Anybody disagree?

Cupito. Let's judge by wins.

I'm trying hard not to bite on this thread...

This has to be a bit. Right?

This just reminds me that our Gophers have never really hit a home run at quarterback in recent years. I know Weber took his knocks. I liked him, and I'm sure it doesn't help running new systems, having new coaches, etc. Cupito could manage a game, but I would say he was never considered in the upper half of the Big 10. AAK had his moments, but he made me nervous. Even the "Ofer Gopher" Billy Cockerham is in the top 10 list for passing. C'mon, Billy will forever be beloved for the Penn State game alone, but c'mon, he was tough to watch.
I'm hopeful for a diamond in the rough some day. I haven't seen enough of Leidner to say what his career will be. Who knows? There was a lot of earlier talk about the potential of Nelson and Leidner matching up at TCF stadium in a couple years. Lots of things happen and we may be seeing two quarterbacks that aren't even on the roster today.

Top Bottom