Leidner, Best Quarterback in Gopher Modern History?

Thankfully no one has said Corey Sauter. Didn't care for him much, although he did beat Sconnie twice.

I just love that Adam Webber is the bar we are trying to beat. Classic.

It's sad when what we have to hope for is any QB that can hit a wide-open receiver 5-10 yards away with consistency. Last guy to do that was...Cupito? AAK? Sauter?

It's sad when what we have to hope for is any QB that can hit a wide-open receiver 5-10 yards away with consistency. Last guy to do that was...Cupito? AAK? Sauter?

Probably Cupito, he did very well with the wide open guys. Had no ability to throw an out or fit the ball in a window. Do you guys remember the AAK quote at the beginning of his senior year? He said something like "I can't believe it is my last year, I figured we'd have 3 national titles by now." Loved that one...

Abdul-Kalig won 10 games his last year, also I think Cupito had a better career than Weber, Weber had better stats, but he also started an extra year, but Cupito won more

Weber was unappreciated. Yes, there were some bad throws in his career, but this dude was on the run. How many times did he take a snap and have to turn and run for his life? He wasn't perfect, but he's EASILY the best passer we've has since hohensee and it's not close. I always wonder, if we had him in 2003 instead of AAK how things that year would have been different.

Weber was unappreciated. Yes, there were some bad throws in his career, but this dude was on the run. How many times did he take a snap and have to turn and run for his life? He wasn't perfect, but he's EASILY the best passer we've has since hohensee and it's not close. I always wonder, if we had him in 2003 instead of AAK how things that year would have been different.

Not too sure how you come to your conclusions? Asad, arguably had the best season by a Gopher quarterback in the last 40 years in 2003.
The team won 10 games! He completed passes at a 63% clip in 2003. Weber was close as a sophomore but also at 52% as a junior. Asad had 17 TD's to 5 interceptions in 2003! Asad was 26 int's to 55 TD's for his career. Weber was 51 & 72. Clearly Asad wins that measure.

Your guy Hohensee is a fantasy. He was a little better than a 50% passer and threw almost as many interceptions as touchdowns 31 to 33.

Clearly the best two quarterbacks on paper are Asad and Cupito. It's not really close. Weber just played more. But clearly he did not play as well as those two guys. IMO

Cupito. Let's judge by wins.

I believe if we judge by wins which I like as a measure, it breaks down like this:
Asad 22 wins to 28 wins...not sure how many he's responsible for of the 6 team wins as a freshman.
Cupito 20 wins
Weber 17 wins

I believe he will be a top 3 all time quarterback at a minimum.
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/passers.html

This ranking above is by career yards. On that basis he may not get enough attempts to overtake Weber.

If Weber is our best quarterback in modern Gopher football, then I think Leidner will be better.
Does he led us to a couple Rose Bowls and a national championship ala Sandy Stephens. I dunno.
But I believe he will have more success than Weber or any of the other 9 guys listed.

I know some of you think he can't play. I'm just saying he is going to be our best quarterback
in a very long time. Leader, runner, passer, winner.

Remember he was a passing quarterback in high school. He will learn to protect the football as a runner.

Anybody disagree?

Moron.

If the offense continues to develop and Mitch remains the starter he could have some nice career numbers. GO GOPHERS!

Yep.

I like Weber, but I couldn't disagree more with that comment. Brian Cupito was a far better pure passer than Adam Weber in my opinion. You want to talk about underappreciated Gopher QB's? The list begins with Cupito in my opinion.

And Weber makes the 2003 season worse, not better. I think AAK was better than Weber.

Having said all that, I can't wait to see what Leidner does in 2014, I have very high hopes he will flourish. Born leader.

Not too sure how you come to your conclusions? Asad, arguably had the best season by a Gopher quarterback in the last 40 years in 2003.
The team won 10 games! He completed passes at a 63% clip in 2003. Weber was close as a sophomore but also at 52% as a junior. Asad had 17 TD's to 5 interceptions in 2003! Asad was 26 int's to 55 TD's for his career. Weber was 51 & 72. Clearly Asad wins that measure.

Your guy Hohensee is a fantasy. He was a little better than a 50% passer and threw almost as many interceptions as touchdowns 31 to 33.

Clearly the best two quarterbacks on paper are Asad and Cupito. It's not really close. Weber just played more. But clearly he did not play as well as those two guys. IMO

Weber or Hohensee would have loved to be able to hand the ball off to multiple NFL running backs and and be protected by an OL featuring two future all-americans and trophy winners.

All three(Weber, Abdul Khaliq, and Cupito) are candidates for the Adam Hauser of football award. The biggest difference is Hauser actually won a National title, but was still ripped for being a "poor" goalie.

I am rooting for Leidner. You're not going see me write negative about a hometown kid who said no to Becky, Iowa, Nebraska and endured Brewster. Some of you sound like local writers.

I am rooting for Leidner. You're not going see me write negative about a hometown kid who said no to Becky, Iowa, Nebraska and endured Brewster. Some of you sound like local writers.

Are we talking about the same Mitch Leidner? The one with offers from an FCS school and Minnesota? The one who was recruited by Jerry Kill two years after Brewster left?

If you're talking about Weber, you should have probably said that. And you can take away the Iowa and Nebraska offers cause those never happened. If you're talking about Leidner, well then, I'm worried about your health.

In order for one of our quarterbacks to be better than anybody, they need receivers who can do something like get more than 800 yards per season, if not more. I want to know if we can develop a passing game where we can get more than a thousand yards out of a pair of receivers.

***Wren-like statement alert***

I don't care one iota about what his stats look like and what kind of ball he throws, for the most part; With THIS roster, THIS O-Line, and this offense, Mitch will win a pretty fair amount of games as long as he's the QB. If he starts for the majority of the next 3 years (and history tells us he likely will NOT), he'll rack up a fairly nice number of wins along the way.

Are we talking about the same Mitch Leidner? The one with offers from an FCS school and Minnesota? The one who was recruited by Jerry Kill two years after Brewster left?

If you're talking about Weber, you should have probably said that. And you can take away the Iowa and Nebraska offers cause those never happened. If you're talking about Leidner, well then, I'm worried about your health.

Correct on Weber and yes he did tell Iowa and Nebraska he was attending Minnesota.

I don't care one iota about what his stats look like and what kind of ball he throws, for the most part; With THIS roster, THIS O-Line, and this offense, Mitch will win a pretty fair amount of games as long as he's the QB. If he starts for the majority of the next 3 years (and history tells us he likely will NOT), he'll rack up a fairly nice number of wins along the way.

You are trying to take liberties with my moniker. I don't like that at all.

Now, here is the deal. The out of conference games with the exception of tcu are ALL wins...and TCU should be a win too. THAT is why only Conference games are worthy and are of note when evaluating the team...the coach...the quarterback. The Gopher's program is ONLY capable of beating Conference teams that the Gopher's offense AND defense will be MORE physical than. It is the philosophy of the entire coaching staff. Hence: in 2013, the Gophers beat Northwestern, Nebraska, PSU and Indiana. The Gophers were MORE physical than all four of these Conference teams in 2013. They lost to Michigan, iowa, wisky and MSU. They were NOT as physical as any of these Conference Teams. The same thing will be true in 2014. Teams my Gophers are more physical than in CONFERENCE PLAY, they will beat. Teams my Gophers are NOT more physical than in Conference Play they will lose to. The Coaching staff is ONLY able to put together a successful game plan and a hurting on conference teams that they are more physical than. If you think about it, that fact of life makes a LOT of sense. Coach Kill will only win by coaching the talent he can recruit up and by having an offense capable of defending his defense and vice versa. His teams will need to RUN the ball and STOP the run. They will pass only teams like Indiana to death. Quarterbacks need to hang on to the ball above all else in this system.

I really couldn't understand your post until I went to an English to wren translation website and now it makes sense:

I don't "care" one iota...you can hope...or play the "fantasy recruiting game" about what his stats look like...until they are meticulously...and permanently etched, forever and ever, from here on out, throughout our futures so our childrens childrens children can review those stats that were entered into the history books AND what kind of ball he throws AND we won't know that UNTIL he ACTUALLY throws that football for the team represented by our new mitch and we can record those yardage metrics in our history books, for the most part; With THIS roster, THIS O-Line, and this offense, I HOPE our new mitch will flourish will win a pretty fair amount of big 10 conference games as long as he's the QB. AND THEN, and only then, and not one moment before when we view our new mitch big 10 wins AND compare the number of conference wins in the big 10 conference with the number of losses suffered by our new mitch in conference games in the big 10 conference. If he starts for the majority of the next 3 years in big 10 conference games, and we record those wins and losses, because the only thing that we can truly count on is the historical account according the comparing his big 10 conference wins and big 10 conference losses (and history tells us he likely will NOT, but I HOPE he will...BUT it still counts for nothing until we record those outcomes in our history books), he'll rack up a fairly nice number of big 10 conference wins AND losses along the way.

;-o) (=====8

Last edited by Ogee Oglethorpe; Today at 3:43 PM

All three(Weber, Abdul Khaliq, and Cupito) are candidates for the Adam Hauser of football award. The biggest difference is Hauser actually won a National title, but was still ripped for being a "poor" goalie.

Hauser did try to lose the National Championship game by taking a penalty in OT. Granted it wasn't called and we won, but that wasn't so good. He was a better goalie than me, though...

I believe he will be a top 3 all time quarterback at a minimum.
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/passers.html

This ranking above is by career yards. On that basis he may not get enough attempts to overtake Weber.

If Weber is our best quarterback in modern Gopher football, then I think Leidner will be better.
Does he led us to a couple Rose Bowls and a national championship ala Sandy Stephens. I dunno.
But I believe he will have more success than Weber or any of the other 9 guys listed.

I know some of you think he can't play. I'm just saying he is going to be our best quarterback
in a very long time. Leader, runner, passer, winner.

Remember he was a passing quarterback in high school. He will learn to protect the football as a runner.

Anybody disagree?

Leidner may be a star someday, who knows, but there's no reason other than Maroon colored glasses to believe this is true. He wasn't even the starter last year.

No reason?

Leidner may be a star someday, who knows, but there's no reason other than Maroon colored glasses to believe this is true. He wasn't even the starter last year.

"Leidner may be a star someday, who knows?" That shows an open mind. Nobody knows. There are 100 land mines to derail his ability to achieve greatness if it exists. All true. Also pretty obvious.

I believe there are many reasons to believe he can be the best quarterback in Gopher modern history. #1 is his work ethic.
My perception is that his is greater than most people. #2 Are his physical gifts. He is 6 foot 5 and very athletic. He can run.
He has a very strong arm. His work ethic will continue to improve his accuracy. #3 He's a leader. He loves to play. That's contagious to his teammates. #4 He has opportunity. He is the starter. Zero question, it is his team. That opportunity includes all the offensive linemen back with the exception one often injured graduation. He has a 1,000 yard rusher in the backfield. He has a forgotten guy who averaged 5.5 yards per carry in limited appearances. He will have two backs offering "lightning in a bottle" to supplement the pounders. He has three emerging receivers in house. Devon Wright may become David Cobb in 2014 at wide receiver. There are three highly rated wide receivers coming in the summer. He has a 6'9" tight end who can run and catch. He has Maxx and a stable of other tight ends. Mitch has opportunity. #5 He has experience.
This is his third spring under Jerry Kill yet he is going to only be a sophomore. He started four games and the team was 3 and 1 in those games. #6 We expect to have a good defense to compliment an improved offense. More opportunity. #7 He knows it's his team. He knows we can be really good. He is confident! #8 We have been to two bowl games. We know what we are doing as a team. We are tweaking things, not installing systems.

So, would I say anyone else could do the same thing? Nobody else has his, talent, size, leadership, arm, experience, or opportunity in modern Gopher history. I think he is going to seize the opportunity and run with it. Great moments are born from great opportunity and Mitch Leidner has the ability and the opportunity!

Regarding last year...maybe I just saw things unfold differently than you did. But I have plenty of reasons to believe
what I'm saying. I named eight. Including my life experiences to reach these conclusions, possibilities or visions if you prefer.

He wasn't even the starter 9 weeks ago vs. a guy whose best transfer option was Rutgers.

Top Bottom