Jerry Kill

Should Minnesota bring back Jerry Kill?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jerry was a good coach, I don't understand the vitriol from some fans.
He's human, made a couple emotional mistakes on his way out. But I'm very grateful for what he did for the program.

I also have had more fun memories at his games than Flecks. He absolutely developed some studs in his time here as well.
Jerry has had countless opportunities to apologize for the things he has said and done, including poking at PJ’s divorce, but he has the emotional maturity of a teenage girl. If you like Jerry that’s fine I’m not going to try to change your mind, but surely you can understand where the vitriol comes from.

And maybe you did have more fun at his games, but there were plenty of complaints back then about how slow and boring his teams were. Not saying I agree with the complaints, but his teams weren’t exactly known for keeping you on the edge of your seat.

Jerry has had countless opportunities to apologize for the things he has said and done, including poking at PJ’s divorce, but he has the emotional maturity of a teenage girl. If you like Jerry that’s fine I’m not going to try to change your mind, but surely you can understand where the vitriol comes from.

And maybe you did have more fun at his games, but there were plenty of complaints back then about how slow and boring his teams were. Not saying I agree with the complaints, but his teams weren’t exactly known for keeping you on the edge of your seat.
Fleck's is? Maybe...for the wrong way this year...

They were very slow and very boring and lost every rivalry matchup. It was time for a change which he failed to get through gracefully.

He left because he was having seizures every day and if he hadn't left to get his health in order, the lifestyle of a coach would certainly have killed him.
I might have bought this narrative had he stayed out of coaching for a while to get his seizures in order. Instead, the following spring he was right back on the journeyman circuit and threw away any credibility this argument might have bought.

I remember Kill’s offense never overcoming a false start or holding penalty, that was fun to watch.

Let’s see how NMSU looks after they play Auburn this weekend.
Can’t get a cheaper shot than that. I don’t know who scheduled the game (AD or Jerry) but it must be a good pay day.
Admirable to just show up but I’m sure they’ll compete.

They were very slow and very boring and lost every rivalry matchup. It was time for a change which he failed to get through gracefully.
Pretty sure Jer beat Iowa twice in 5 years, more than Fleck’s once in 7 years.

On your first point - I was aware of shots fired at the U, but not PJ - I'll take your word. Jerry is an emotional guy, but there were plenty of times the program benefitted from his emotion prior to the falling out. As others have stated elsewhere, Jerry inherited Brewster in a stronger West conference, and returned us to being at least respectable, and he developed talent in an impressive way.

I don't understand the vitriol because Gopher fans have forever complained about our mediocrity but the man pulled us out of oblivion. I weight that a lot more than any of his antics off the field after the fact.

On a personal level - I also just find Kill a heck of a lot more relatable than a lot of coaches have been - he wasn't a salesman, he didn't bullshit, and even when he was being immature you knew who he was. I don't want to play armchair clinician, but if Jerry has some mental health struggles, then apparently he's just like the rest of us.

I'm glad PJ took over, but I'll never be one of these folks booing Jerry. I cheered loudly for him when he returned with his squad.

Aside from 2019, offense has been boring since Glen Mason.

On your first point - I was aware of shots fired at the U, but not PJ - I'll take your word. Jerry is an emotional guy, but there were plenty of times the program benefitted from his emotion prior to the falling out. As others have stated elsewhere, Jerry inherited Brewster in a stronger West conference, and returned us to being at least respectable, and he developed talent in an impressive way.

I don't understand the vitriol because Gopher fans have forever complained about our mediocrity but the man pulled us out of oblivion. I weight that a lot more than any of his antics off the field after the fact.

On a personal level - I also just find Kill a heck of a lot more relatable than a lot of coaches have been - he wasn't a salesman, he didn't bullshit, and even when he was being immature you knew who he was. I don't want to play armchair clinician, but if Jerry has some mental health struggles, then apparently he's just like the rest of us.

I'm glad PJ took over, but I'll never be one of these folks booing Jerry. I cheered loudly for him when he returned with his squad.

I don't think anyone disputes that Jerry did a good job of cleaning things up here - he inherited a mess and put respectable, competitive teams out on the field. If this is a pass/fail grade his tenure easily gets a pass. I don't think that's up for debate.

His character is a separate issue, and the reason for the vitriol. It is possible to both think that Jerry did a good job as coach in his tenure here, and think that he's not a great guy.

Your point that he wasn't a salesman or a BS'er is laughable. He had just as much of a schtick as PJ does, it's just that more Midwesterners are going to buy into the "aw shucks, I'm just a simple farm boy from Kansas" than PJ's hyper-energetic behavior and goofy slogans. I'm not even knocking Jerry when I say that, every coach has their own brand of schtick.

His character is a separate issue, and the reason for the vitriol. It is possible to both think that Jerry did a good job as coach in his tenure here, and think that he's not a great guy.

Your point that he wasn't a salesman or a BS'er is laughable.

Objective results versus subjective feelings is the heart of all of this.

It def is possible to understand he did a good job, and not think he's a great guy - and - I don't relate to booing him or hating on the man. I care about results above all else - and without once again going through the paces of Jerry Vs Fleck, Jerry comparatively inherited less and did more with it.

As for Jerry not being a salesman - wedged between Fleck and Brewster...yea, I stand by that firmly. But there really isn't any point bickering on this, as it's subjective.

Have a great Friday homie!

It def is possible to understand he did a good job, and not think he's a great guy - and - I don't relate to booing him or hating on the man. I care about results above all else - and without once again going through the paces of Jerry Vs Fleck, Jerry comparatively inherited less and did more with it.

As for Jerry not being a salesman - wedged between Fleck and Brewster...yea, I stand by that firmly. But there really isn't any point bickering on this, as it's subjective.

Kill inherited a little less and did a lot less with it. Let’s not act like every position group Fleck inherited was better than what Kill inherited. Fleck inherited a few more guys who ended up being real impactful players, but his QBs, Oline, Dline, and WRs outside of Johnson were arguably worse than what Kill started with.

I don’t agree he did very much. He did exactly what an avg coach would do. Salesman stuff is irrelevant. He was unlikable and also not stellar as a coach. Like a 0.0 WAR with him.

His aw shucks Charlie Brown gee whiz pumpkin patch shtick was just as much of a shtick as Fleck or Brewster.

I don’t know why he, Claeys, and Leidner keep coming up. They were incredibly boring and had the Gophs on a flat trajectory and it is very good that era is over. Not saying Fleck is the guy but Kill and cohorts clearly were not.

Time to sunset these cats.

Kill inherited a little less and did a lot less with it. Let’s not act like every position group Fleck inherited was better than what Kill inherited. Fleck inherited a few more guys who ended up being real impactful players, but his QBs, Oline, Dline, and WRs outside of Johnson were arguably worse than what Kill started with.
Winfield, Johnson, Cashman, John Michael Schmitz, Rodney Smith, Coney Durr, Carter Coughlin, Ko Kieft, Winston De Lattiboudere, Andrew Stelter, Andries, Schluetter, Celestin, Poock, Huff Bros, Thomas Barber, Kamal Martin, Sam Renner, Steven Richardson, Conner Olson, Weyler, Oseland,
Greene, Schluetter, and the list goes on.
25 guys above and most went to NFL training camps but ya Fleck inherited nothing.
Gimme the list Kill inherited...

Winfield, Johnson, Cashman, John Michael Schmitz, Rodney Smith, Coney Durr, Carter Coughlin, Ko Kieft, Winston De Lattiboudere, Andrew Stelter, Andries, Schluetter, Celestin, Poock, Huff Bros, Thomas Barber, Kamal Martin, Sam Renner, Steven Richardson, Conner Olson, Weyler, Oseland,
25 guys above and most went to NFL training camps but ya Fleck inherited nothing.

You are stretching with some of these guys and saying most went to NFL camps isn't saying much if they didn't actually make a roster or practice squad. On top of that you have some 2017 guys mixed in there (JMS, Andries...) and Winfield was gone until Fleck talked him into coming back.

Take a look at the 2011 roster, you could make a similar list to the one you posted for 2017 with the guys Kill inherited.

Kill and Fleck both inherited teams with very flawed rosters.....some talent but a ton of flaws. The overall state of the program was in worse shape when Kill took over....nobody would dispute that....but both coaches had a lot of work to do when they got here.

Well you listed multiple guys that Fleck signed for one. And at least half of those listed I would not consider as real impactful players.

Jerry was a good coach, I don't understand the vitriol from some fans.
He's human, made a couple emotional mistakes on his way out. But I'm very grateful for what he did for the program.

I also have had more fun memories at his games than Flecks. He absolutely developed some studs in his time here as well.
The stuff he did after he was gone wasn't done out of emotion and is why he is deservedly not liked by many.

Jerry Kill would be much more highly regarded here if he didn't leave scorching the earth with some of the things he said about the program and PJ. There was no need to do it. He was what the program needed at the time when he first arrived and helped stabilize things both athletically and academically. I believe that he had reached his ceiling with us and the stress did him in. PJ came in and took things to an even a higher level. Can PJ continue to do this or will it take someone else to do it? Jerry Kill is certainly not the answer. Taking a low level program and stabilizing them and elevating them is what he does. He's hitting his ceiling at NMSU and I doubt would ever have taken the Gophs or any major conference team to the level even PJ has.

You are stretching with some of these guys and saying most went to NFL camps isn't saying much if they didn't actually make a roster or practice squad. On top of that you have some 2017 guys mixed in there (JMS, Andries...) and Winfield was gone until Fleck talked him into coming back.

Take a look at the 2011 roster, you could make a similar list to the one you posted for 2017 with the guys Kill inherited.

Kill and Fleck both inherited teams with very flawed rosters.....some talent but a ton of flaws. The overall state of the program was in worse shape when Kill took over....nobody would dispute that....but both coaches had a lot of work to do when they got here.
I'll give you JMS...Andries was a Gopher commit long before PJ.
So, just anybody goes to an NFL camp? You gotta be pretty decent to get an opportunity or uber athletic or something...it's not nothing. So it's 24 guys...I'm sure I missed somebody to get back to 25. That's an impressive group...who we got now that'll go to a NFL camp. 1. Spann Ford 2. Nubin 3. Walley 4. Lindenberg 5. Ersery... long way from 25

As someone just above me pointed out, Kill is about as big a BSer as I've ever seen in college football. He's a decent coach, but he's got a chip on his shoulder the size of a cement block and I got tired of the whining and all the "poor me" crap.

So, just anybody goes to an NFL camp? You gotta be pretty decent to get an opportunity or uber athletic or something...it's not nothing. So it's 24 guys...I'm sure I missed somebody to get back to 25. That's an impressive group...who we got now that'll go to a NFL camp. 1. Spann Ford 2. Nubin 3. Walley 4. Lindenberg 5. Ersery... long way from 25
Andries committed to Claeys. Was rumored to be considering changing commitments after Claeys was let go. So it was before Fleck, but not long before Fleck.

Taylor, Evans, D Jackson, Joyner, Striggow, and likely many guys we haven't seen the best of yet.

You are really really stretching on this one. Fleck has put more guys in the NFL than Kill did and I would bet if we went through all the rosters his list of guys that got a NFL look even if not drafted would be just as long or longer.

But this is a pointless debate anyway. Nobody disputes that there were some good players on the roster Fleck inherited, especially on defense. The offense however was a completely different story and the QB situation was a joke.

Kill also inherited some good players....but the program was in shambles and like the roster Fleck inherited it was an extremely flawed roster.

Top Bottom