Jerry got another HC job!

I liked Jerry Kill. He inherited a mess and got things turned in the right direction here. I dont understand the sarcasm and venom on here. He’s a good man.
It's a few things I feel like.

No one denies he did good work in turning the team around. Both on the field and in the classroom, the team improved greatly. The defense, especially the secondary, became really good and the run game was solid. First Jan. 1 bowl game since the 60s, Little Brown Jug win, players going to the NFL. That was good to see.

It's what happened since he left.

No. 1. His ongoing coaching stints.
It sucked that he had to give up doing what he loved because of his health. That's an awful thing to deal with. A lot of people were sad that he had to step down.

So, when he got back into coaching, especially at a Big Ten school (I know it's Rutgers, but still), it rubbed people, including me, the wrong way. He left Minnesota, the program he built up, citing health problems and a need to get away from coaching, only to go back to coaching.

When he took the administrative roles, it made sense and felt fine. Working mainly in the office would probably be better. But to return to the world of coaching at Rutgers, then again at Virginia Tech, and again at TCU, has just drained a lot of the sympathy and good will that he had when he stepped down from Minnesota.

Maybe his health improved enough and if so, good for him. But his job hopping in the assistant coaching landscape since 2015 has made his loyalty and his commitment he had while at Minnesota seem much more fickle in hindsight.

No. 2. His comments on Fleck.
The words he had for Coach Fleck were really uncalled for. I can get where he's coming from. He built up a program and now another coach, who has a style that's different and in some cases offputting, is saying the whole thing needs to be rebuilt.

Even with that being the case, though, you'd hope a person would have more grace and professionalism when talking about the situtation. I also understand he was upset about the Claeys situation, but he had to know Minnesota might look for a different coach considering how Power 5 college football works.

Instead, Kill took the low road. Instead of maybe saying something along the lines of "Fleck should be able to have some success there considering the recruits and work we did," he goes after PJ as a person and brings his wife into the mix.

It was really petty and kind of shattered that image of the "country, aw shucks" charm Kill had in older interviews.

Basically:
Before he was a humble guy who seemed to have a storybook career. Working his way up from DII, to FCS, to G5 and then finally P5, having success everywhere he went, doing it the right way, and unfortunately, having to step aside to tend to his health and maybe enjoy the game from farther away.

Now, he's seen as a person whose charm may have been forced, who goes below the belt when talking about someone, and seems to jump from job-to-job rather routinely, despite his health being a major concern.

It's a few things I feel like.

No one denies he did good work in turning the team around. Both on the field and in the classroom, the team improved greatly. The defense, especially the secondary, became really good and the run game was solid. First Jan. 1 bowl game since the 60s, Little Brown Jug win, players going to the NFL. That was good to see.

It's what happened since he left.

It sucked that he had to give up doing what he loved because of his health. That's an awful thing to deal with. A lot of people were sad that he had to step down.

So, when he got back into coaching, especially at a Big Ten school (I know it's Rutgers, but still), it rubbed people, including me, the wrong way. He left Minnesota, the program he built up, citing health problems and a need to get away from coaching, only to go back to coaching.

When he took the administrative roles, it made sense and felt fine. Working mainly in the office would probably be better. But to return to the world of coaching at Rutgers, then again at Virginia Tech, and again at TCU, has just drained a lot of the sympathy and good will that he had when he stepped down from Minnesota.

Maybe his health improved enough and if so, good for him. But his job hopping in the assistant coaching landscape since 2015 has made his loyalty and his commitment he had while at Minnesota seem much more fickle in hindsight.

The words he had for Coach Fleck were really uncalled for. I can get where he's coming from. He built up a program and now another coach, who has a style that's different and in some cases offputting, is saying the whole thing needs to be rebuilt.

Even with that being the case, though, you'd hope a person would have more grace and professionalism when talking about the situtation. I also understand he was upset about the Claeys situation, but he had to know Minnesota might look for a different coach considering how Power 5 college football works.

Instead, Kill took the low road. Instead of maybe saying something along the lines of "Fleck should be able to have some success there considering the recruits and work we did," he goes after PJ as a person and brings his wife into the mix.

It was really petty and kind of shattered that image of the "country, aw shucks" charm Kill had in older interviews.

Basically:
Before he was a humble guy who seemed to have a storybook career. Working his way up from DII, to FCS, to G5 and then finally P5, having success everywhere he went, doing it the right way, and unfortunately, having to step aside to tend to his health and maybe enjoy the game from farther away.

Now, he's seen as a person whose charm may have been forced, who goes below the belt when talking about someone, and seems to jump from job-to-job rather routinely, despite his health being a major concern.

I agree with #2 but I can't, for the life of me, understand why his job hopping since leaving MN would impact anything.

What does his loyalty to the U and commitment to his staff look fickle because Jerry has a love affair with football?

Secondly, I follow the logic about people ripping Jerry for saying that Fleck's ego got in his way and saying he thinks Fleck is about himself over the players. But I don't understand what was wrong about Kill saying "And I knew his first wife, and he just changed a bunch."

Edit: I understand the second point after the exchange with blah blah.

Last edited:

What does his loyalty to the U and commitment to his staff look fickle because Jerry has a love affair with football?

Secondly, I follow the logic about people ripping Jerry for saying that Fleck's ego got in his way and saying he thinks Fleck is about himself over the players. But I don't understand what was wrong about Kill saying "And I knew his first wife, and he just changed a bunch."
I think bringing up his first wife was a wink and nod to a lot of rumors floating out around PJ Fleck. I'm almost certain that's what Jerry was getting at. I'm often a Jerry defender on this board, but I thought that was really petty.

I think bringing up his first wife was a wink and nod to a lot of rumors floating out around PJ Fleck. I'm almost certain that's what Jerry was getting at. I'm often a Jerry defender on this board, but I thought that was really petty.
I'm wasn't privy to the rumors -- what was he alluding to?

I'm wasn't privy to the rumors -- what was he alluding to?
He cheated on her. I believe Fleck wife #2 might have worked in the WMU office or something. I don't really remember the details, but they were floating around quite a bit at Western Michigan.

He cheated on her. I believe Fleck wife #2 might have worked in the WMU office or something. I don't really remember the details, but they were floating around quite a bit at Western Michigan.
Ahh -- I think that Flecks wife was working at an auto dealership when they met (I vaguely recall from the FSN four part series they did on him when he was hired). Regardless, without knowing that people thought he stepped out on her I didn't read to me as a low blow.

Ahh -- I think that Flecks wife was working at an auto dealership when they met (I vaguely recall from the FSN four part series they did on him when he was hired). Regardless, without knowing that people thought he stepped out on her I didn't read to me as a low blow.
Honestly, I might be wrong on some of the rumors too, I don't follow them very closely. I just remember there being some whispers and I'm almost certain that's what Country Jer was talking about.

I guess the AD went to him before the season and told him that there needed to be some changes... and things didn't change. Seems that ol' Gary is another curmudgeon who loathes the transfer portal and NIL. He was also complaining about how other schools were using NIL to steal his recruits. Could very well be that the AD decided that the college football world had passed him by...
I saw some comparisons to Mark Dantonio at Michigan State. Guy who achieved some very memorable highs, starting to decline, and won't change his ways or fire his friends on the staff that are holding the program back.

Honestly, I might be wrong on some of the rumors too, I don't follow them very closely. I just remember there being some whispers and I'm almost certain that's what Country Jer was talking about.
You are right that it was petty. Jerry felt like all the culture talk was a shot at him and his guys saying that their culture was bad -- which I see his point. If the rumors are true it does tarnish Fleck insofar as he preaches culture, culture, culture and steps out on his wife. But taking a veiled shot at someone over unsubstantiated rumors is letting your emotions get the best of you.

You are right that it was petty. Jerry felt like all the culture talk was a shot at him and his guys saying that their culture was bad -- which I see his point. If the rumors are true it does tarnish Fleck insofar as he preaches culture, culture, culture and steps out on his wife. But taking a veiled shot at someone over unsubstantiated rumors is letting your emotions get the best of you.
I don't think I've ever heard PJ say he is without faults... rather he has said the opposite plenty.

I don't think I've ever heard PJ say he is without faults... rather he has said the opposite plenty.
That's fair. I can think of him talking about his ACT scores and smarts -- but not about vices or anything of that nature. I wasn't trying to imply that Fleck has said he is perfect. But if the guy who is telling you that his culture is about being high character and living the right way (athletically, socially, academically, and spiritually) then cheating on your wife would seem to run afoul of that. To clarify what I am saying, I don't think what he preaches is wrong, just that if he did step out on his wife that it colors the perception of him. In much the same way the OP was saying that Jerry is tarnished not by the standards he set for his players but by his statements about Fleck.

If Nebraska were to can Frosty (& I don't believe they will), it would not shock me to see 'ol Jer near the top of their get list.

They have a good bit of respect for him in Lincoln.
Please please please please please

That's fair. I can think of him talking about his ACT scores and smarts -- but not about vices or anything of that nature. I wasn't trying to imply that Fleck has said he is perfect. But if the guy who is telling you that his culture is about being high character and living the right way (athletically, socially, academically, and spiritually) then cheating on your wife would seem to run afoul of that. To clarify what I am saying, I don't think what he preaches is wrong, just that if he did step out on his wife that it colors the perception of him. In much the same way the OP was saying that Jerry is tarnished not by the standards he set for his players but by his statements about Fleck.
I guess, I mean you have to be in the know irrefutably presenting your case when you say something like that. Jerry wasn't and didn't. Which means just throwing rumors to see what sticks.

They should have just waited until the end of the season to have the conversation with Patterson. That would have been the respectful thing to do. Ol' Jer should NOT be head coaching anyone.
I'm not sure keeping his future secret from Gary is all that respectful.

I think TCU made a mistake firing Gary. I wish Jerry the best of luck - with coaching and with his health.

They should have just waited until the end of the season to have the conversation with Patterson. That would have been the respectful thing to do. Ol' Jer should NOT be head coaching anyone.
Why?

I think TCU made a mistake firing Gary. I wish Jerry the best of luck - with coaching and with his health.
Will be interesting to see who they bring in next. Tough to know how Kill's health has been but hopefully he can handle the remainder of the season without it causing him serious health issues again. Don't get the impression that he will be considered as Patterson's replacement after this season.

Expect the ‘well, to be perfectly honest with ya, the kids asked me to stay. I am here for them……’.

indeed i do. you see, ol’ jer’ is a ball coach. it’s who he is, it’s in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. jer’ was brought in at tcu as an offensive quality consultant and it was clear to the texas christian admin that jer’s impact on the student athletes goes way beyond running it up the middle and stroking the post.

since his time impacting the boys at minnesota, jer has impacted the boys at k-state, rutgers, va tech, southern illinois and tcu. some critics will say he can’t hold a job, but rather he sees it as an opportunity to turn boys into men. there’s a strong chance that his wedding buddy gary p realized jer’ can have a greater impact on the student athletes or texas christian as hc.

whether jer’ got intentionally hit by a flying helmet by a smu player or if he just accidentally tripped by a tcu player, jer’ is always impacting the boys. this isn’t about him at all, it’s all about the boys.
You have to get a lifetime achievement award at some point for this.

Bottom line is I guess Patterson was not doing that good of a job turning boys into men by TCU's administration's metrics.

Kill is a good football coach, but I rarely took anything that came out of his mouth seriously (which is the case for me with most coaches). Most every coach (yes, including Fleck) has a schtick (even if it's presented as an anti-schtick in the case of guys like Frost and Brohm). I think the bad blood between Kill (and others) and Fleck is that they are both guys who play full-contact tiddlywinks, but with dramatically different styles.

There was a culture issue in Claeys' last year and it was high profile. Fleck needed to address that front and center if he wanted to get any traction with recruits and parents.

It is quite possible that Jerry walked out in his contract at the U knowing full well the fizz was gone. Health concerns? Hmmmm…. And now his best friend did a mid season quit? Nice coincidence.

I liked Jerry Kill. He inherited a mess and got things turned in the right direction here. I dont understand the sarcasm and venom on here. He’s a good man.
Unfortunately, like many things in life, your entrance and exit are what stand out in people's minds. The stuff in the middle just kind of gets jumbled together.

The perception I have heard mentioned multiple times is the school supported him during his numerous health challenges, including several seizure episodes during games. It appeared that the stresses of coaching were incompatible with his medical condition and the seizures were exacerbated by continuing to function in a coaching roll. Jerry seemed to think he would just fold into this advisory position while his personal friend and DC took over. Maybe there was some verbal arrangement, but as far as I know, nothing ever existed on paper. When it didn't materialize, Jerry did not react terribly well. When his successor and friend was let go after a successful season, it really set him off. He basically bit at the hand that feedeth him for years, including when he was incapacitated and unable to fulfill even the basic functions of his job. That is poor form, regardless of what water you may have walked on during your tenure.

Jerry then made it about the entire U of MN with his comments. Instead of a personal pissing match with what amounted to a handful of people in one department, he essentially castigated the entire school, and those who just want to see the program be successful didn't take too kindly to his need to continue to shoot his mouth off about his former employer. I guarantee you if you take a job with a new company and go around badmouthing your former employer for years on end, you are going to stand out as the a-hole. If you are conceited enough to go after the person who replaced you, rest assured you will come off as petty and immature, even if you are 125% right. For a guy with a "small town values" image, that sure as hell isn't small town values behavior.

What is the common denominator of a guy who acrimoniously left a high-profile job, very publicly criticized his former employer multiple times (on his own terms no less) and since then has hopped from place to place, presumable in rolls that exacerbate the medical condition that forced him to step aside in the first place? That would be Jerry himself. Perhaps he is considerably more difficult to deal with than he wants to admit and not for the reasons he would like you to believe. That is the perception that I have now, and clearly I'm not alone.

Until AJ Barkers Mom’s Best Friend chimes in, I am reserving my judgment on this hire. Also is Old Country Jer going to be stroking the post while at TCU

Top Bottom