Jerry got another HC job!

I decided to read the news articles from the time to confirm my memory -- which was faulty as Thomas wasn't up for expulsion and had his restraining order dropped soon after it was instated. Alas I still agree with what you said, and I stand by what I said (save for the Thomas stuff). Claeys sided with the players against his best interests -- the U railroaded a couple of the players -- as you said it happens many times a year -- hopefully the football team and basketball team are no longer involved in such incidents.
Yeah. It was sad all around. I like what Claeys did for the program as a DC and head coach. I’m not sure he is cut out to be a P5 head coach just from the media demands aspect. You could even see this the way it ended for him at wazzu.

He might be a really good d2 head coach
In the right spot (like as an assistant for kill) he could be a long lasting DC at the P5 level

Yeah. It was sad all around. I like what Claeys did for the program as a DC and head coach. I’m not sure he is cut out to be a P5 head coach just from the media demands aspect. You could even see this the way it ended for him at wazzu.

He might be a really good d2 head coach
In the right spot (like as an assistant for kill) he could be a long lasting DC at the P5 level
He was a fine placeholder, but I agree with most here that he was going cut out to be a head coach. It was cool to run into him at Cub though! He's the type of DC like Ciarocca that isn't really interested in the recruiting aspect but was great at scheme.

The wazzu thing was odd because from what I remember Leach sided with the DB's coach over Claeys and he just up and left. I'd have to go back but it seemed like Leach didn't back his authority in what he wanted to do to fix the defense. It was right after that huge collapse to UCLA.

Calling Claeys’ coaching questionable seems like revisionist history to me. I think it’s fair to question how his recruiting, media engagement, and fan interest would look over time, but Claeys’ coaching was a plus in my opinion. If you think his coaching was questionable, I would be curious to hear what you think about Fleck’s game management, and his favorable schedule in 2019 and 2021.
The Halloween game against Michigan was the worst game management I've ever seen.

The Halloween game against Michigan was the worst game management I've ever seen.
Tough spot for a first(ish) time head coach. OC calls a play thinking the time has stopped (might have gotten Limey canned) -- but I liked the initiative to go for it to win.

Can we move on from this conversation already. Kill/Claeys were good, not great coaches for a B1G program. They were football guys through and through, so "football people" tend to love them. However, even in terms of football results they did a good but not great job.

Fleck is about more than football, which does rub people the wrong way. Losing his son and hitting rock bottom (divorce, terrible season, etc.) made him reflect and develop something that is authentically him and creates a great football culture. I love the "more" that Fleck brings to football. I realize all the things that people use to diminish the results that Fleck has had and the program has been far from perfect with him at the helm. However, I also believe he has created something that a lot of MN can get behind.

Wish Kill/Claeys the best

Can we move on from this conversation already. Kill/Claeys were good, not great coaches for a B1G program. They were football guys through and through, so "football people" tend to love them. However, even in terms of football results they did a good but not great job.

Fleck is about more than football, which does rub people the wrong way. Losing his son and hitting rock bottom (divorce, terrible season, etc.) made him reflect and develop something that is authentically him and creates a great football culture. I love the "more" that Fleck brings to football. I realize all the things that people use to diminish the results that Fleck has had and the program has been far from perfect with him at the helm. However, I also believe he has created something that a lot of MN can get behind.

Wish Kill/Claeys the best
Agree with everything you wrote -- except having to move on from gopher related conversations on the gopherhole. At least some guy and I were talking about things tangentially related to the thread whereas Trey Potts injury thread cannot be contained.

I'm with you -- but Claeys was able to identify defensive talent much better than Fleck, though Fleck's regime can get high rated players.
This year's defense is better than any of the Claeys defenses and it's all Fleck's recruits minus Durr.

From my vantage point, which may have been similar to yours, I wish the refs had granted the TO that Harbaugh was screaming for.

This year's defense is better than any of the Claeys defenses and it's all Fleck's recruits minus Durr.
You may be right -- but we'll see at the end of the year. But my point was that Claeys identified talent better than Fleck's defensive staff. Other than Walley his defensive back recruits haven't been great. His linebackers, save for Gibbens, haven't been great. Where this staff has over performed Claeys is the lineman. We never had lineman like this before. I would take our 2013-2015 back 7 over this back 7

I can see where Fleck can be charged with poor clock management, but Claeys' decisions against Michigan (was it his first game officially as head coach?) were some of the worst I've ever witnessed.

You may be right -- but we'll see at the end of the year. But my point was that Claeys identified talent better than Fleck's defensive staff. Other than Walley his defensive back recruits haven't been great. His linebackers, save for Gibbens, haven't been great. Where this staff has over performed Claeys is the lineman. We never had lineman like this before. I would take our 2013-2015 back 7 over this back 7

I don't disagree about the secondary, but B1G games are won and lost in the trenches. This defensive line is significantly better than any in the Claeys/Kill era. So is the offensive line. That's why we're winning more games.

I decided to read the news articles from the time to confirm my memory -- which was faulty as Thomas wasn't up for expulsion and had his restraining order dropped soon after it was instated. Alas I still agree with what you said, and I stand by what I said (save for the Thomas stuff). Claeys sided with the players against his best interests -- the U railroaded a couple of the players -- as you said it happens many times a year -- hopefully the football team and basketball team are no longer involved in such incidents.
Claeys sorta sleep walked through it all IMO.

Great coordinator, just not a head coach at that level kinda guy.

Sounds like all three- Gary P, Jerry K and Claeys all reacted similar when they didn’t get what they wanted. Interesting

Did you see Bowling Green?
Yeah.....but I also saw a coach run 17 seconds off the clock on first and goal from the 1 yard line with 19 seconds left in the game.....

Do you not remember that???? Running all kinds of motion while the clock was running out.....with a time out remaining

Yeah.....but I also saw a coach run 17 seconds off the clock on first and goal from the 1 yard line with 19 seconds left in the game.....

Do you not remember that???? Running all kinds of motion while the clock was running out.....with a time out remaining

I would blame (B)Limey for that. Claeys was DC and a new HC that week, IIRC. Fair to blame him to some degree, I suppose.

Jerry Kill orchestrates upset of #14 Baylor with over 400 yards passing by a freshman QB starting his first game. 1 and 0 at TCU
Who really gives a s### what Kill does or doesn’t.

Someone cc this this to our QB coach.

Morris finished with 531 yards of total offense. He picked apart a Bears’ defense that had allowed just 209 yards passing per game. Morris finished 29 of 41 for 461 yards passing with two touchdowns and no interceptions. The 461 yards passing by Morris are the fourth-most in a single game in program history.

“My receivers, they’re making plays,” Morris said. “You saw them going up, just making me look good. What I stressed to them is that I’m going to put the ball in your vicinity and it’s your job to go make a play on the ball. It’s yours or nobody’s. I stressed that to them all week in this role. I’m so proud of them.”

Who really gives a s### what Kill does or doesn’t.
Me, for one. Kill did so much to help this program. Now, a bunch of bozos love to hate Kill because he doesn’t like PJ. Get over it. I wish him good health and great success - nothing less. Congrats on a big win Jerry. I watched a double-digit fav lose at home. Again. 🤷‍♂️

Ironically, we have a very Kill-esque team this year. Above average defense with a team that can run the ball against bad front sevens but not against good teams and that struggles mightily to pass. Only difference is unlike Jerry’s squads, our QB can’t run.

Top Bottom