Jerry got another HC job!

Claeys never did get another HC job. Odd that Kill gets one before him.

indeed i do. you see, ol’ jer’ is a ball coach. it’s who he is, it’s in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. jer’ was brought in at tcu as an offensive quality consultant and it was clear to the texas christian admin that jer’s impact on the student athletes goes way beyond running it up the middle and stroking the post.

since his time impacting the boys at minnesota, jer has impacted the boys at k-state, rutgers, va tech, southern illinois and tcu. some critics will say he can’t hold a job, but rather he sees it as an opportunity to turn boys into men. there’s a strong chance that his wedding buddy gary p realized jer’ can have a greater impact on the student athletes or texas christian as hc.

whether jer’ got intentionally hit by a flying helmet by a smu player or if he just accidentally tripped by a tcu player, jer’ is always impacting the boys. this isn’t about him at all, it’s all about the boys.
I can't tell of the obviously purposeful lack of capitalization here takes away from, or adds to, this post. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Clayeys isn't retired he's a linebackers coach for Va Tech.

There was a culture issue in Claeys' last year and it was high profile. Fleck needed to address that front and center if he wanted to get any traction with recruits and parents.
Yeah. And even if there wasn’t a real culture issue there was definitely a PR issue and a culture change needed to be sold

I think people forget what an absolute gong show the Tracy Claeys tenure was that last month or so

Yeah. And even if there wasn’t a real culture issue there was definitely a PR issue and a culture change needed to be sold

I think people forget what an absolute gong show the Tracy Claeys tenure was that last month or so
I suspect Jerry bailed on a sinking ship up here. His track record since displays that this is entirely possible.

I suspect Jerry bailed on a sinking ship up here. His track record since displays that this is entirely possible.
I wonder too if health issues and other issues built up, it was all too much, and rather than take a leave like he was offered, chose to run, and then later regretted it.

Lotta hard decisions or him.

I might add goat rodeo and fecal tornado to complete the trifecta for the end of Claeys' tenure.

They may forget -- there were definitely a handful of bad actors on that team that created the sex scandal -- those players should have been axed -- but the U was trying to expel Kiondre Thomas who half way across campus on the phone with his girlfriend -- that much I know and I think WInfield and Green weren't there either. There wouldn't have been the supposed "gong show" if the EOAA did there jobs more appropriately.

They may forget -- there were definitely a handful of bad actors on that team that created the sex scandal -- those players should have been axed -- but the U was trying to expel Kiondre Thomas who half way across campus on the phone with his girlfriend -- that much I know and I think WInfield and Green weren't there either. There wouldn't have been the supposed "gong show" if the EOAA did there jobs more appropriately.
Even without the scandal, I'm not convinced Claeys would be at the U for much longer. He benefitted from a favorable schedule in the regular season, avoiding MSU, Michigan and OSU.

The eight teams the Gophers beat in 2016 had a collective record of 36-62. Taking advantage of a schedule like that is of course a good thing, but I don't think success would have been sustainable for Claeys.

His coaching was already questionable going back to 2015, and when it came to stuff off the field, working with the media, being a spokesperson, recruiting, I just didn't see it working with him.

I think Claeys' tenure in 2016 was a placeholder. They waited for a candidate to emerge, which happened with Fleck, which allowed for an opportunity to move on.

Even without the scandal, I'm not convinced Claeys would be at the U for much longer. He benefitted from a favorable schedule in the regular season, avoiding MSU, Michigan and OSU.

The eight teams the Gophers beat in 2016 had a collective record of 36-62. Taking advantage of a schedule like that is of course a good thing, but I don't think success would have been sustainable for Claeys.

His coaching was already questionable going back to 2015, and when it came to stuff off the field, working with the media, being a spokesperson, recruiting, I just didn't see it working with him.

I think Claeys' tenure in 2016 was a placeholder. They waited for a candidate to emerge, which happened with Fleck, which allowed for an opportunity to move on.
Claeys wasn't ever going to be the permanent UM head coach, and thankfully so.
Not head coach material.

I think you are right. He was a great defensive coordinator and I think he and Sawvel were the gems of the Kill coaching club. I was just addressing the gong show aspect of the OP.

Calling Claeys’ coaching questionable seems like revisionist history to me. I think it’s fair to question how his recruiting, media engagement, and fan interest would look over time, but Claeys’ coaching was a plus in my opinion. If you think his coaching was questionable, I would be curious to hear what you think about Fleck’s game management, and his favorable schedule in 2019 and 2021.

even so, if you think Claeys handled it well you’ve never been in charge of anything

Question: who would you rather have walking into a big time prospect home Claey or Fleck?

even so, if you think Claeys handled it well you’ve never been in charge of anything
My whole point is what you wipe aside with "even so". My assertion wasn't that he handled it well. Merely that if the EOAA hadn't tried to get the U to expel students who had nothing to do with the incident, the players would not have threatened a boycott. We can't know what would have happened -- but there was a legitimate grievance.

My whole point is what you wipe aside with "even so". My assertion wasn't that he handled it well. Merely that if the EOAA hadn't tried to get the U to expel students who had nothing to do with the incident, the players would not have threatened a boycott. We can't know what would have happened -- but there was a legitimate grievance.
The reason he was fired had more to do with media relations than the investigation.
He could’ve protested behind closed doors and would’ve had a lot larger chance of being brought back. The way he handled it there isn’t an AD in the country that would’ve brought him back. Especially when he essentially had zero buyout.

he was essentially insubordinate publicly

Fleck 1M times. Fleck is so superior to Claeys in every way.
I'm with you -- but Claeys was able to identify defensive talent much better than Fleck, though Fleck's regime can get high rated players.

The reason he was fired had more to do with media relations than the investigation.
He could’ve protested behind closed doors and would’ve had a lot larger chance of being brought back. The way he handled it there isn’t an AD in the country that would’ve brought him back. Especially when he essentially had zero buyout.

he was essentially insubordinate publicly
You are arguing with a straw-man. I don't disagree with what you've said. He was insubordinate publicly because the U was trying to expel at least one student who demonstrably have nothing to do with the scandal. The thing I've been talking about this the entire time is that the U created the situation whereby (at least) one student was being railroaded. Claeys sided with the players (ignorantly for his own longevity) because they had a legitimate grievance.

I doubt Coyle was going to bring back Claeys even if he beat Penn State and Wisconsin and won the west -- I concede it would have been much harder to fire him in that situation, but I think he knew that he wanted Fleck.

You are arguing with a straw-man. I don't disagree with what you've said. He was insubordinate publicly because the U was trying to expel at least one student who demonstrably have nothing to do with the scandal. The thing I've been talking about this the entire time is that the U created the situation whereby (at least) one student was being railroaded. Claeys sided with the players (ignorantly for his own longevity) because they had a legitimate grievance.

I doubt Coyle was going to bring back Claeys even if he beat Penn State and Iowa and won the west -- I concede it would have been much harder to fire him in that situation, but I think he knew that he wanted Fleck.
Claeys brought this all on by himself. The university sided against Claeys and for the student who you’re talking about. The end result was likely the same regardless of what Claeys did (though this is unknowable). A process had to take place (maybe a flawed process). Claeys decided to embarrass the administration publicly while the process was taking place to his own detriment.

The story went from being a small local story to a national story when Claeys decided to make it a gong show by going on his interviews tour. He didn’t create the situation, but he made it a gong show. I place the blame on the story going national 100% on Claeys. I put the blame on the story being big enough for protesters to come out against the football program 100% on Claeys. Showed absolutely no ability to deal with media.

Claeys brought this all on by himself. The university sided against Claeys and for the student who you’re talking about. The end result was likely the same regardless of what Claeys did (though this is unknowable). A process had to take place (maybe a flawed process). Claeys decided to embarrass the administration publicly while the process was taking place to his own detriment.

The story went from being a small local story to a national story when Claeys decided to make it a gong show by going on his interviews tour. He didn’t create the situation, but he made it a gong show. I place the blame on the story going national 100% on Claeys. I put the blame on the story being big enough for protesters to come out against the football program 100% on Claeys. Showed absolutely no ability to deal with media.
I again agree with what you've said, save for the bolded. We can't know whether the university would have sided with the student if there was no gong show. It is easily as likely that Kiondre would have been expelled from school if there was no embarrassment to the administration. If the U doesn't railroad the kid, there is no chance for the gong show. There was no guarantee (I stand to be corrected) that Kiondre isn't expelled without the publicity as they had the evidence that Thomas was no where near that room and still were going to expel him. Claeys showed no regard to the administration or his future at the U, but he at least did so to protect (at least) one of his players.

I again agree with what you've said, save for the bolded. We can't know whether the university would have sided with the student if there was no gong show. It is easily as likely that Kiondre would have been expelled from school if there was no embarrassment to the administration. If the U doesn't railroad the kid, there is no chance for the gong show. There was no guarantee (I stand to be corrected) that Kiondre isn't expelled without the publicity as they had the evidence that Thomas was no where near that room and still were going to expel him. Claeys showed no regard to the administration or his future at the U, but he at least did so to protect (at least) one of his players.
Hate to tell you this but dozens of u of m non football students go through the same process every year

Hate to tell you this but dozens of u of m non football students go through the same process every year
Dozens of university students are threatened with expulsion over a sexual assault when they can prove they were no where near the scene of the assault?

Dozens of university students are threatened with expulsion over a sexual assault when they can prove they were no where near the scene of the assault?
Dozens of students go through disciplinary processes where they don’t get cleared for weeks or months, yes

maybe not dozens per year at u of m twin cities but hundreds per year across the country

Dozens of students go through disciplinary processes where they don’t get cleared for weeks or months, yes

maybe not dozens per year at u of m twin cities but hundreds per year across the country
I decided to read the news articles from the time to confirm my memory -- which was faulty as Thomas wasn't up for expulsion and had his restraining order dropped soon after it was instated. Alas I still agree with what you said, and I stand by what I said (save for the Thomas stuff). Claeys sided with the players against his best interests -- the U railroaded a couple of the players -- as you said it happens many times a year -- hopefully the football team and basketball team are no longer involved in such incidents.

Top Bottom