Jerry got another HC job!

You are arguing with a straw-man. I don't disagree with what you've said. He was insubordinate publicly because the U was trying to expel at least one student who demonstrably have nothing to do with the scandal. The thing I've been talking about this the entire time is that the U created the situation whereby (at least) one student was being railroaded. Claeys sided with the players (ignorantly for his own longevity) because they had a legitimate grievance.

I doubt Coyle was going to bring back Claeys even if he beat Penn State and Wisconsin and won the west -- I concede it would have been much harder to fire him in that situation, but I think he knew that he wanted Fleck.
He made his boss’s job harder - honest mistakes happen - while embarrassing him, too much incompetence by Tracy at that high profile a position to retain him.

Can we move on from this conversation already. Kill/Claeys were good, not great coaches for a B1G program. They were football guys through and through, so "football people" tend to love them. However, even in terms of football results they did a good but not great job.

Fleck is about more than football, which does rub people the wrong way. Losing his son and hitting rock bottom (divorce, terrible season, etc.) made him reflect and develop something that is authentically him and creates a great football culture. I love the "more" that Fleck brings to football. I realize all the things that people use to diminish the results that Fleck has had and the program has been far from perfect with him at the helm. However, I also believe he has created something that a lot of MN can get behind.

Wish Kill/Claeys the best
We have an authentic brand; for better or worse. College football fans know about “Row The Boat” and many parents seem to love it, as PJ cares about more than football.
He’s a new jack coach for a new jack era y’all.

Ironically, we have a very Kill-esque team this year. Above average defense with a team that can run the ball against bad front sevens but not against good teams and that struggles mightily to pass. Only difference is unlike Jerry’s squads, our QB can’t run.
I made that comparison last week. This week I would say Country Jer would have had a better O plan.

Did you see Bowling Green?
I hate to say it; yesterday wasn't any better than BG. People are giving the D a pass when frankly Illinois first 2 drives set the tone and those drives allowed them to go ultra conservative the rest of the way so who knows how the stats would have ended as they did what they wanted when required. The coaches inability to adjust significantly when things aren't working, like changing QB's and/or other tweaks, is pretty stark.

Seemed like again, nothing changed after half time, which is another weakness the staff displays.

He made his boss’s job harder - honest mistakes happen - while embarrassing him, too much incompetence by Tracy at that high profile a position to retain him.
TBF, his bosses did a fine job of that all on their own.

I like Kill and Fleck. Is that ok?

We have an authentic brand; for better or worse. College football fans know about “Row The Boat” and many parents seem to love it, as PJ cares about more than football.
He’s a new jack coach for a new jack era y’all.
Yeah, I wonder where signing his contract in front of the team that earns him a cool $5M fits into that brand.

I like Kill and Fleck. Is that ok?
Yes.

I like both. I think Kill has acted like a child at times post Claeys firing but I still like kill and appreciate what he did here

Yeah, I wonder where signing his contract in front of the team that earns him a cool $5M fits into that brand.
So it’s wrong for him to accept an extension? you’d turn it down right?

Top Bottom