JD Spielman. RTB?

Did you guys see him at TCF when the Gophers torched the Riley led Huskers a few years ago? Scary with the ball in his hands and you held your breath until CC or some other good defender actually tackled him. He had a lot of yards that game.

The pucker factor was high that game in my section.

Someone saw a young man that looked a lot like JD Speilman on campus recently.

So is playing the sport of Lacrosse out? I'm thinking it is as I'm assuming he hasn't played it for a while unless he was during the off season for training etc. (running).

Did you guys see him at TCF when the Gophers torched the Riley led Huskers a few years ago? Scary with the ball in his hands and you held your breath until CC or some other good defender actually tackled him. He had a lot of yards that game.

The pucker factor was high that game in my section.

Someone saw a young man that looked a lot like JD Speilman on campus recently.
People here either don't know how good Spielman is, or are overly confident about a largely unproven CAB. I think there's a bit of both going on. Hope CAB proves me wrong and goes off this year, I'm just taking more of a believe it when I see it approach.

2019 was by far his most consistent season. 2017/18 had some bigger stat games mixed in with some very average games.

People here either don't know how good Spielman is, or are overly confident about a largely unproven CAB. I think there's a bit of both going on. Hope CAB proves me wrong and goes off this year, I'm just taking more of a believe it when I see it approach.

This.

JDS was without a doubt going to become the ALL TIME LEADING RECEIVER AT NEBRASKA. And he never had a legit quarterback. He would be nasty good across from RB13 and catching balls from Morgan.

2019 was by far his most consistent season. 2017/18 had some bigger stat games mixed in with some very average games.

Are his 2018 YPG. I'd say fairly consistent with a couple big games mixed in. Only one real stinker in a game they lost 56-10.

Are his 2018 YPG. I'd say fairly consistent with a couple big games mixed in. Only one real stinker in a game they lost 56-10.
In fact, once he got about midway through his freshman year in 2017 he was pretty consistent in his production with a couple big games including 200 yds against OSU and 141 against us. All while playing on some of the worst Nebraska teams in decades.

I think he's the slot receiver in the current offense. Tyler Johnson did line up in the slot, so I think that's where they would put Spielman. Demetrious Douglas and the underclassmen are the losers in that scenario.
I think to have people like Daniel Jackson, Jonathan Mann, and Douglas Emilien redshirt and take time to learn from such high caliber talent like Bateman, Spielman, and CAB would be really beneficial. I don’t think they lose out in that scenario. I think people like Demetrius Douglas, Clay Geary, and a few of the redshirt freshmen from last season are the main losers in the scenario.

I think to have people like Daniel Jackson, Jonathan Mann, and Douglas Emilien redshirt and take time to learn from such high caliber talent like Bateman, Spielman, and CAB would be really beneficial. I don’t think they lose out in that scenario. I think people like Demetrius Douglas, Clay Geary, and a few of the redshirt freshmen from last season are the main losers in the scenario.

I meant in the short-term for playing time. No real losers in the deal.

On further inspection, I would restate that all his seasons have been more inconsistent than consistent...or consistently average. Seven of 12 games in 2019 where he had 4 or fewer catches. By contrast, TJ had six of 26 games like that over last two seasons.

On further inspection, I would restate that all his seasons have been more inconsistent than consistent...or consistently average. Seven of 12 games in 2019 where he had 4 or fewer catches. By contrast, TJ had six of 26 games like that over last two seasons.
I guess if you want to use one of the worst metrics available you could say that...

Whoa...

Is it a done deal that Fleck would take him?
That better not be what holds this up. If he doesn't want to play here, or anywhere, or can't get a waiver, that's fine, but I would hope our staff would take him in a heartbeat.

Well dang....seems like a pretty good fit as a replacement for TJ then :)

Would seem like the only power 5 school he could potentially get an immediate waiver for would be Minnesota so I think that would pretty much rule out any other power 5 schools as a landing spot for him.

Of course he could always drop down in class and play right away as well without the need for a waiver. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. If he is ready to play this fall it would be awesome to see him out there in Maroon and Gold alongside all the other weapons we already have. Can never have too many elite players, especially on offense. It is how teams like Ohio State manage to not miss a beat even when guys get injured much of the time.

That better not be what holds this up. If he doesn't want to play here, or anywhere, or can't get a waiver, that's fine, but I would hope our staff would take him in a heartbeat.

The ONLY reason I can think of for why they would not take him is if they got wind of some major character issues that would make it unlikely the he would come in and embrace the culture. Outside of that, you find a spot for an elite athlete like Spielman, especially when he is from your backyard and wanting to come home.

Spielman is the far superior player to CAB at this point. No disrespect to CAB as I think we all like his potential, but to think Spielman couldn't jump him on the depth chart is ridiculous.
I don't know if i'd call him superior. Different? Maybe more dynamic, but not necessarily superior. CAB is a bigger receiver that I think can do things that Spielman may not be able to. CAB is able to play outside. I think that Douglas might end up being the most affected if this happens.

I don't know if i'd call him superior. Different? Maybe more dynamic, but not necessarily superior. CAB is a bigger receiver that I think can do things that Spielman may not be able to. CAB is able to play outside. I think that Douglas might end up being the most affected if this happens.
I don't want to rip on CAB, I like him as much as anyone. Let me put it this way, Spielman has proven himself to be one of the top WR in the BIG. CAB has not. Sure it's possible that CAB has improved enough and with increased opportunity will prove to be the better player, but at the moment there's no logical reason to think CAB is the better player.

And I agree that they can actually compliment each other very well, so it's not like it's an either-or scenario. You are right that DD likely is the one who gets pushed out, but he also hasn't shown a whole lot in his short career so far.

I don't want to rip on CAB, I like him as much as anyone. Let me put it this way, Spielman has proven himself to be one of the top WR in the BIG. CAB has not. Sure it's possible that CAB has improved enough and with increased opportunity will prove to be the better player, but at the moment there's no logical reason to think CAB is the better player.

And I agree that they can actually compliment each other very well, so it's not like it's an either-or scenario. You are right that DD likely is the one who gets pushed out, but he also hasn't shown a whole lot in his short career so far.
Expanding your thought, he Douglas might fall deeper in the rotation. Then we have to wonder what role expansion TE's will have. I think I like this problem.

Expanding your thought, he Douglas might fall deeper in the rotation. Then we have to wonder what role expansion TE's will have. I think I like this problem.
Agreed we are at risk of having a very nice problem.

Certainty has given us something to speculate all day. Wonder if they will try to do the waiver deal first before announcing if he is indeed coming here. Would be another long wait if that happens.

The ONLY reason I can think of for why they would not take him is if they got wind of some major character issues that would make it unlikely the he would come in and embrace the culture.

Phantom character issues? He sounds like the PERFECT replacement for TJ.

I guess if you want to use one of the worst metrics available you could say that...
CAB had the same number of TDs with just over half the number of receptions compared to JD.

OK, serious question - IF Spielman winds up at MN, and IF he gets a waiver to play this year -

where does he fit on the depth chart?

I can't see Fleck jumping him ahead of CAB, so Spielman would likely be a #3 receiver and Kick/Punt returner. I'd take him just for his return game, and if he catches a few passes out of the slot, that's a bonus.

He'd be the No. 2 WR behind Bateman. Spielman is the only receiver in Nebraska history to record 3 straight 800-plus yard seasons. The numbers he put up over 3 seasons show he's more than capable of being one of the better receivers in the Big Ten.

If he is ok coming here to share the spotlight with Bateman then I say welcome to Minneapolis!

This offense would be near unstoppable.

The statements that he’s not as good as CAB are funny. JD was about to break some major records at Nebraska had he stayed including shattering the most career yards and receptions records.

Last edited:

Maybe the leave of absence from NE for personal reasons is setting up the narrative for a waiver to play immediately for the Gophers.

If we can get him, that's great. More competition at the WR position. There is also the goodwill capital with the Vikings.

If not, more power to him at Oregon State or elsewhere.

This is the case where one wonders if he had listened to his friend Carter Coughlin and sign with the Gophers... Who would have known PJ Fleck will become the new head coach.

I’ve given this some thought. I think landing a transfer from a high profile name, like JD Spielman, would open a new door for us to having other solid transfers from top tier schools down the road. Guys that would be starters on most teams, but they thought they had a shot at seeing game time with OSU or Bama. Once one guy of JD’s caliber comes here, it gives a nod to a lot of other guys looking for the right home to finish their college career. This could be a really good thing for us

The Gophers are primed to make another big run this season and for just the purpose of depth alone, having JD on the team would be huge. Our Gophers have been mostly very fortunate with a lack of injuries in the WR corps but luck doesn't last forever. This would be a very different team without Rashod or CAB on the team, but Spielman could be huge in mitigating any such loss.

Top Bottom