Jack Wilson commits

If he plays three minutes a game and pushes opposing center around he is a big upgrade over TT playing same minutes and getting pushed all over the gym.

TT is a wing and could not come in for Payne.
Whatever you say, you are the resident insider so I should listen. Your response isn't very encouraging though.

If he plays three minutes a game and pushes opposing center around he is a big upgrade over TT playing same minutes and getting pushed all over the gym.

TT is a wing and could not come in for Payne.
Agree with everything except TT being a wing. Can't shoot, or dribble, or guard other wings. TT was just a tall guy in a jersey.

I would imagine it's pretty hard to have a negative PER playing like 2 mpg, but somehow this guy managed that with a -4.9 PER. lmao. If this guy sees the court at all, we're in big trouble. Those saying he can spell Payne for even 5 minutes are delusional.

Agree with everything except TT being a wing. Can't shoot, or dribble, or guard other wings. TT was just a tall guy in a jersey.
Not replying to you specifically but it is weird how bashing former players is cool but criticizing coach and team is toxic on this board. Especially if you're an idiot questioning the use of this scholarship. I should shut my mouth, sit back, and allow this staff to keep winning at the extremely high rate they have been the last two seasons. They have already earned unquestionable support right? BTW, people are happy with this signing because now we have a tall guy in a jersey for Payne to practice against.

What other schools offered Jack?
Legitimate question.

I’ve enjoyed the conversation on this thread. I can see the theory that he’s a big body who’ll help Payne in practice and should be limited to “emergency” minutes in games. But if that’s valuable enough for a scholarship, did any other teams offer him?

Celebrating a guy that might help in practice.

Not sure I’ve ever heard of that before but this is where it is at in year 3 of the Ben Johnson era. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, you might as well give a mn kid that scholarship if it is simply for practice.

Practicing against a big sloth like Wilson isn’t going to help Payne stay out of foul trouble when he has to guard talented bigs with offensive skills in real games. This smells worse than Danny Ogele or Charlie Daniels and may be the new recruiting low for Johnson’s regime.

Legitimate question.

I’ve enjoyed the conversation on this thread. I can see the theory that he’s a big body who’ll help Payne in practice and should be limited to “emergency” minutes in games. But if that’s valuable enough for a scholarship, did any other teams offer him?
Go ask him.

I would imagine it's pretty hard to have a negative PER playing like 2 mpg, but somehow this guy managed that with a -4.9 PER. lmao. If this guy sees the court at all, we're in big trouble. Those saying he can spell Payne for even 5 minutes are delusional.
He probably won't. If Payne is in foul trouble they'll move Garcia to the 5 and play the 20 other forwards on the team at the 4.

Ben a month ago: 'I'm going to target three guards and a big man for depth and practice purposes in the transfer portal'

GH: OMG this a shocking take we've reached a new low. He's going to give the remaining scholarships to Purcell and the other walk on.

Not replying to you specifically but it is weird how bashing former players is cool but criticizing coach and team is toxic on this board. Especially if you're an idiot questioning the use of this scholarship. I should shut my mouth, sit back, and allow this staff to keep winning at the extremely high rate they have been the last two seasons. They have already earned unquestionable support right? BTW, people are happy with this signing because now we have a tall guy in a jersey for Payne to practice against.
I don't care about the "be positive" vs. "be negative" war that goes on here. To be fair I had the same assessment of TT when he was a current player. I'm all about giving people a chance. I'm not sure if people are as happy about the commit as they are accepting of it, due to our current situation. This guy is a high-major, dual sport athlete and can possibly contribute.

Ben a month ago: 'I'm going to target three guards and a big man for depth and practice purposes in the transfer portal'

GH: OMG this a shocking take we've reached a new low. He's going to give the remaining scholarships to Purcell and the other walk on.
Just wait and see, m’boy. I can appreciate your snark, but it could actually play out that way! I’d say the odds are pretty good (based on the past two years) that at least one scholie goes to a walk-on.

Ihnen and Fox will - and should - be more than emergency depth. As far as the other 2 scholarships, this has zero to do with those. There are numerous conversations and visits happening currently with combo guards and wings. Let it get to May before we start freaking out.

I think you’re the one who’s freaking out. Ben has yet to prove he will fill all of his scholarships, and has given reasons why he hasn’t wanted to. I’m sure he’ll fill at least 1 more, but he needs to fill both with good players.

This guy has proven he’s not a P6 basketball player. Ihnen and Fox haven’t proven they are either, plus they’re coming off of 2 major knee surgeries. It’s possible that there’s now already 3 wasted scholarships on this roster.

Ben two years ago - "I guarantee you MN wont finish in last place."

Just wait and see, m’boy. I can appreciate your snark, but it could actually play out that way! I’d say the odds are pretty good (based on the past two years) that at least one scholie goes to a walk-on.
I don't see how this impacts Ben's ability or inability to look at guards. His want of a back up big man is independent of his want of 3 guards.

Serious question. If he got the guards first and then this guy would people have less issue??

It reminds the Vikings board losing their shit over KAMs first signing being a 'blocking tight end'. Later he goes and picks up one of the better CBs available. I swear if the order were reversed, people would have been much more calm.

To me the order is irrelevant but that's just me.

I think you’re the one who’s freaking out. Ben has yet to prove he will fill all of his scholarships, and has given reasons why he hasn’t wanted to. I’m sure he’ll fill at least 1 more, but he needs to fill both with good players.

This guy has proven he’s not a P6 basketball player. Ihnen and Fox haven’t proven they are either, plus they’re coming off of 2 major knee surgeries. It’s possible that there’s now already 3 wasted scholarships on this roster.
II and Fox are darn near All Americans, at least in the minds of some gh posters.

I think the order of the commitment is part of what is driving some of the negativity (not that this board needs any help on that front). If we had multiple guards committed and were looking at a base roster of:

Backcourt - Mitchell, Carrington, Christie, Transfer Guard, Transfer Guard
Frontcourt - Payne, Garcia, Betts, JOJ, Fox, Ihnen

Then this commitment is viewed for what it actually is which is an emergency big man/back of the bench kind of guy because with that roster above there aren't going to be many minutes available as long as everyone is healthy.

I don't see how this impacts Ben's ability or inability to look at guards. His want of a back up big man is independent of his want of 3 guards.

Serious question. If he got the guards first and then this guy would people have less issue??

It reminds the Vikings board losing their shit over KAMs first signing being a 'blocking tight end'. Later he goes and picks up one of the better CBs available. I swear if the order were reversed, people would have been much more calm.

To me the order is irrelevant but that's just me.
Funny that we both made a comment about commitment order at the same time. I absolutely think that is a big part of what is driving the negativity about this commitment.

People of a certain age might recognize this clip...

fast-break-film-b9fe09be-29e4-4abc-9f30-053946c1212-resize-750.jpg

Funny that we both made a comment about commitment order at the same time. I absolutely think that is a big part of what is driving the negativity about this commitment.
Timing for me is a part of it yes. Again, fully aware we aren't going to get an all American C here, fine. But this is just giving up without even trying. There has to be HUNDREDS of other guys we could have tried for, if ben says man I tried for guys and in June this was it, well thats not good but the concept and perception is a little better.

Think of it like going to the used car lot with $15k as a budget. The first car you see has no radio, AC is out, 2 windows don't work and the rust is so bad you can put your foot through it. Instead of doing your due diligence you walk up and offer the dealer all $15k when the sticker says $850! And you walk out going hey it starts and stops, man what a deal I got!!

I think the order of the commitment is part of what is driving some of the negativity (not that this board needs any help on that front). If we had multiple guards committed and were looking at a base roster of:

Backcourt - Mitchell, Carrington, Christie, Transfer Guard, Transfer Guard
Frontcourt - Payne, Garcia, Betts, JOJ, Fox, Ihnen

Then this commitment is viewed for what it actually is which is an emergency big man/back of the bench kind of guy because with that roster above there aren't going to be many minutes available as long as everyone is healthy.
:ROFLMAO:

Timing for me is a part of it yes. Again, fully aware we aren't going to get an all American C here, fine. But this is just giving up without even trying. There has to be HUNDREDS of other guys we could have tried for, if ben says man I tried for guys and in June this was it, well thats not good but the concept and perception is a little better.

Think of it like going to the used car lot with $15k as a budget. The first car you see has no radio, AC is out, 2 windows don't work and the rust is so bad you can put your foot through it. Instead of doing your due diligence you walk up and offer the dealer all $15k when the sticker says $850! And you walk out going hey it starts and stops, man what a deal I got!!
S
T
O
P

The negativity.......

Reactions: JDP

Full confession, the order really is getting to me. Desperately want to see two more guards. GOOD guards.

Reactions: JDP

My take... It has nothing to do with the order of commitments. I said in another thread Ben said he needed a practice player and that's fine... But you don't go giving away a scholarship to some guy who hasn't played a meaningful minute on the court in the last 3 years.... There are plenty of bigs in the portal who have at least played a few minutes in relief consistently over their careers who could also help in practice .. if this is the BEST Ben could do... We... Are.... Straight... Fucked.....

Coyle has got a tiger by the tail in this one. So many scenarios…..

Top Bottom