Jack Wilson commits

If you were a P6 starting 5 type player (in the portal), would you come to MN with a returning front court of Payne/Garcia/Ihnen/Fox/Betts?
So a couple of injured guys coming back, someone who skipped playing last year altogether to enroll early and redshirt, and a true soph who gets into foul trouble and isn't a great free throw shooter....

If someone doesn't think they can compete with that, I don't know what to say.

Ben is who he is and he appears to want to keep his primary players happy with playing time with the hope that they don't look elsewhere.
So that's the approach now huh? Try and not bring in talent because you don't want to upset players on the worst team in program history.

Even Rod Sterling didn't go this far in The Twilight Zone lol.

BJ could make the Elite 8 next year, and in late March GH would be full of: "Why can’t BJ make it to the Elite 7! Lol. NOTHING he does and or does not do will satisfy many of the posters here. I think I saw 90 some % of teams had portal entries, but BJ for some reason should have managed to avoid that fate?
This would make sense in a Chris Collins thread prior to the 2022 season on a NW board, not remotely comprehendible for 2x cellar dweller Ben Johnson.

THIS! People on here act like we have the best front court since Bird McHale and Parrish. Payne is good, but there were games he only could play 10-15 minutes between fouls, injury and ineffectiveness. There was plenty to offer, and we took the worst of the group right away.

At least no one should feel bad when Ben is fired, he's digging his own grave, and he's digging it DEEP
Wait for the season. We know so little about Big Ten basketball

He scored 4 points and had 5 rebounds ALL YEAR. We were by far the worst team in the conference and are using a scholarship on this bum?? Yah I'm not happy. Our coach is a damn joke. I think those of us annoyed realize not everyone is going to play 35 min a game, but if this is our only option in April we are totally screwed.
Darth's Auntie.

So a couple of injured guys coming back, someone who skipped playing last year altogether to enroll early and redshirt, and a true soph who gets into foul trouble and isn't a great free throw shooter....

If someone doesn't think they can compete with that, I don't know what to say.
Name a 4 and 5 currently in the portal better than Garcia and Payne. There are probably some (10-15 maybe). After you name them, tell me why they would want to come to a last place team to compete for playing time at positions of relative strength. I would submit that Ben has a much easier time selling the 1-3 positions on the court to portal players than he does to 4's and 5's. I don't think Payne and Garcia are irreplaceable. I do think they will be (barring injury) one of the top 4-6 front courts in the BIG this coming season. 4's and 5's currently in the portal who are better than Garcia and Payne will be heading to programs much better than the gophers.

Name a 4 and 5 currently in the portal better than Garcia and Payne. There are probably some (10-15 maybe). After you name them, tell me why they would want to come to a last place team to compete for playing time at positions of relative strength. I would submit that Ben has a much easier time selling the 1-3 positions on the court to portal players than he does to 4's and 5's. I don't think Payne and Garcia are irreplaceable. I do think they will be (barring injury) one of the top 4-6 front courts in the BIG this coming season. 4's and 5's currently in the portal who are better than Garcia and Payne will be heading to programs much better than the gophers.
Not to mention the fact that the rumors of Fox and Ihnen being worthless are likely not true. Imagine trying at this stage to find a 4 or 5 out there with their talent level.... Teams would be lined up to gamble on them.

Agree with everything except TT being a wing. Can't shoot, or dribble, or guard other wings. TT was just a tall guy in a jersey.
TT is a wing in mentality. That's his comfort zone. But I'll go with "tall guy in a jersey". Positionless basketball.

But your better off if TT can't guard a guy 25 feet from the basket than a guy he can't guard three feet from the basket. His man might score from 25 feet. He will score from three feet.

Are you under the impression you can disallow something and enforce a different outcome? Because I've got news for you - you can't. There isn't a damn thing you can do about it. You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it. You could strap yourself to a tree and refuse to eat until the University made things right in your eyes. Unfortunately, you'll starve to death and CBJ will still be the coach this fall.

Don't confuse accepting the brutal truth of the situation with being pollyannish about it. The program either takes significant steps this season or there will be changes. If something can't continue, it won't.

Do I think CBJ turns it around? Truthfully, no. But I've been wrong before and I'm hoping I'm wrong again. We have another year on this lease for sure. In the meantime, I am choosing to wait and see what happens. Much less stressful than constantly fretting over something I literally have zero control over.
Im not stressed, just disappointed we chased TT to bring in a football player. That is all. I sincerely hope Wilson has an incredible season.

Im not stressed, just disappointed we chased TT to bring in a football player. That is all. I sincerely hope Wilson has an incredible season.
It's all about making the whole team fit together. Maybe TT is the better talent, but he doesn't fit the needs of this team. A giant bruiser for 5 minutes a game and in practice does..possibly. I saw nearly zero chance of TT filling a needed role here.

It's all about making the whole team fit together. Maybe TT is the better talent, but he doesn't fit the needs of this team. A giant bruiser for 5 minutes a game and in practice does..possibly. I saw nearly zero chance of TT filling a needed role here.
We will see if Wilson can give 5 per game. He is more likely a DNP barring unfavorable circumstances. Ben has not shown much in terms of mixing in bench players. He goes with 7-8 tops as he prefers. Wilson already is outside of that if everyone is healthy.

I actually think this guy is a better fit for a back up big than Thompson. He should be able to body up a guy like Edey. Thompsons problem was that he wasn’t strong enough to defend in the paint and wasn’t quick enough to defend the perimeter.
I think you are spot on, I'm not sure TT wasn't quick enough to defend on the outside, I thought he moved well. Problem was we didn't have anyone to bump and make it difficult on players to finish around the basket. Now we can do it in practice on a daily basis and under certain circumstances during games. Our players will need to be stronger around the basket in practice both offensively and defensively and that should carryover to games.

I'm not so sure about that. Many of these people see Johnson as nothing but an incompetent affirmative action hire who got the job for those reasons over far more deserving people. For some of those, that resentment won't subside even with better success. There are also some who had other coaches they wanted hired for the position. Some of them won't let go of that very quickly either. I never get emotionally invested in any potential coach or recruit. I learned a long time ago that doesn't pay.
There will always be hold outs. There are still posters that can't stand Fleck. But if the program is having success they tend to become much quieter because they look foolish when complaining.

Right now it is open season because the team has struggled in the first 2 years. So those that have decided that Johnson is a lost cause are free to bash away.

We will see if Wilson can give 5 per game. He is more likely a DNP barring unfavorable circumstances. Ben has not shown much in terms of mixing in bench players. He goes with 7-8 tops as he prefers. Wilson already is outside of that if everyone is healthy.
Agree that Wilson will not be one of the 8-9 guys who play 10+ min/gm (like on the majority of D1 teams). With that being said, why all the hate on signing this guy?

Legitimate question.

I’ve enjoyed the conversation on this thread. I can see the theory that he’s a big body who’ll help Payne in practice and should be limited to “emergency” minutes in games. But if that’s valuable enough for a scholarship, did any other teams offer him?
Emergency minutes backing up Payne will happen from the first non-con game in November and every game until April. There is no game in Payne's career where he will play 40 minutes, nor should anyone want that even if he was never whistled for a foul.

Payne might average 25 minutes. The other 15 minutes are emergency because we had no one besides Payne to defend at post. Fox will get a good shot and we'll see how he holds up.

It is foolish to play Garcia at 5. He's not strong enough to defend, plus all smart coaches will go right at him to foul him out.

If Wilson can give us 5-10 minutes a night, his job is to play tough D, push opposing center away from hoop, get some rebounds, and hammer anyone coming into his zone. He will have 5 fouls to give, the harder the better.

They didn't run TT off in order to bring in Wilson. TT left because he was a horrible fit for the team and was never going to see the court as a 7 foot tall player with zero post ability. Wilson wasn't brought in to play significant minutes, not sure why that is tough for some to grasp.

Agree that Wilson will not be one of the 8-9 guys who play 10+ min/gm (like on the majority of D1 teams). With that being said, why all the hate on signing this guy?
Because some in here either can't or refuse to understand that you can bring a player in for a specific reason that doesn't involve them seeing a heavy dose of minutes on the court.

I think you’re the one who’s freaking out. Ben has yet to prove he will fill all of his scholarships, and has given reasons why he hasn’t wanted to. I’m sure he’ll fill at least 1 more, but he needs to fill both with good players.

This guy has proven he’s not a P6 basketball player. Ihnen and Fox haven’t proven they are either, plus they’re coming off of 2 major knee surgeries. It’s possible that there’s now already 3 wasted scholarships on this roster.
Ihnen and Fox are coming off major knee surgeries? Really? Thanks for alerting us.

The toxicity from this board is way over the top.
lol....has been that way for quite a while. Thankfully the football board is much more fun to visit, helps balance out the negativity of this crowd.

Emergency minutes backing up Payne will happen from the first non-con game in November and every game until April. There is no game in Payne's career where he will play 40 minutes, nor should anyone want that even if he was never whistled for a foul.

Payne might average 25 minutes. The other 15 minutes are emergency because we had no one besides Payne to defend at post. Fox will get a good shot and we'll see how he holds up.

It is foolish to play Garcia at 5. He's not strong enough to defend, plus all smart coaches will go right at him to foul him out.

If Wilson can give us 5-10 minutes a night, his job is to play tough D, push opposing center away from hoop, get some rebounds, and hammer anyone coming into his zone. He will have 5 fouls to give, the harder the better.
I agree will almost all of that. I would sumbit that no D1 basketball player should play (on average) more than 30-32 min/gm. The exceptions would be in tight contests where you need your best players out there for a longer period of time. I looked a few weeks ago and if memory serves, rarely did starters on the sweet 16 teams play more than 30-32 min/game. Garcia can play SOME 5 against SOME teams SOMEtimes. Ideally I would like to see Payne out there for 30-32, Wilson for 2-4, Fox/Garcia/Ihnen/whoever for 4-8. Same with the 4. Garcia for 30-32, Ihnen/Betts/JOJ for 8-10. We'll see how it pans out.

I don't see how this impacts Ben's ability or inability to look at guards. His want of a back up big man is independent of his want of 3 guards.

Serious question. If he got the guards first and then this guy would people have less issue??

It reminds the Vikings board losing their shit over KAMs first signing being a 'blocking tight end'. Later he goes and picks up one of the better CBs available. I swear if the order were reversed, people would have been much more calm.

To me the order is irrelevant but that's just me.
The order is certainly irrelevant when the first game tips off in November.

Ihnen and Fox are coming off major knee surgeries? Really? Thanks for alerting us.

It appears that there are a number of people that continue to need that reminder.

But hey, let's count on them to be major contributors this season. It has worked out so well the last two seasons.

What would an incredible season for him look like? 5 minutes/game average 1.5 points?
To me it would look like backing up Payne for a few minutes here and there and not getting torched while on the court. That's basically it. If on the court, don't be a liability. Simple as that.

Timing for me is a part of it yes. Again, fully aware we aren't going to get an all American C here, fine. But this is just giving up without even trying. There has to be HUNDREDS of other guys we could have tried for, if ben says man I tried for guys and in June this was it, well thats not good but the concept and perception is a little better.

Think of it like going to the used car lot with $15k as a budget. The first car you see has no radio, AC is out, 2 windows don't work and the rust is so bad you can put your foot through it. Instead of doing your due diligence you walk up and offer the dealer all $15k when the sticker says $850! And you walk out going hey it starts and stops, man what a deal I got!!
Think of you being told by a genie you can have one wish, anything you want. You skip over a brain and ask for a car radio.

FFS, he played a grand total of 41 minutes last year. Forty. One. Minutes. At WSU. Took 4 shots. He's had years to show what he's capable of. He's not going to "provide 10-15 minutes of backup to Payne, rebound and play defense."
It's a complete waste of a scholarship. Provides NOTHING that will help win B1G games. Nothing. Zilch. Zero.

It would be better to leave the scholarship open and save the Athletic Department $60000 or whatever a sholarship costs.

Top Bottom