Jack Wilson commits

Payne needs bigger bodies to go against in practice. We had no one. Need to give the kid more of a challenge. Now he gets to practice against a freaking beast.
a practice beast that has been a dud since he joined Oregon State in 2018? seems like wishful thinking to me. no idea why he would be good in practice yet unable to see the floor

Payne needs bigger bodies to go against in practice. We had no one. Need to give the kid more of a challenge. Now he gets to practice against a freaking beast.
Agreed. I’m not nearly as cynical as most of the posters in this thread on this commitment. But if he has to play much, we’re in trouble. I think he even gets it.

Agreed. Hopefully he'll somehow jell with the Gophers and prove everyone wrong. Bottom line it's a move that has some benefits. Maybe not as much as we want, but you never know.

a practice beast that has been a dud since he joined Oregon State in 2018? seems like wishful thinking to me. no idea why he would be good in practice yet unable to see the floor
We’ve been down this road recently but there really are guys who contribute to the success of the team without seeing the floor. His previous stats as a part time basketball player don’t negate that possibility.

We really need to stop ever trying to use the logic that this recruit is fine because he'll only be here 1 season. No one has made it on this thread but there is no difference between bringing in some FR who we take a shot at and stringing together 4 seasons of guys who aren't going/shouldn't play.

Ben chased TT to bring this guy in. Maybe he'll be fine, but I can't see this being an upgrade. Hope I'm wrong.

We really need to stop ever trying to use the logic that this recruit is fine because he'll only be here 1 season. No one has made it on this thread but there is no difference between bringing in some FR who we take a shot at and stringing together 4 seasons of guys who aren't going/shouldn't play.
Maybe true but there is a difference between most 18 and 23 year old guys. That by itself is a differentiation between a flyer on a high school prospect and a fifth year senior.

People freaking out make me laugh. This fella was brought in to make Payne a better player. Going against someone that big that can bully you will do just that.
Maybe can do that. But we all know that is the intent including the player. The hand wringing doesn’t seem to fit.

People freaking out make me laugh. This fella was brought in to make Payne a better player. Going against someone that big that can bully you will do just that.
I don't think people are freaking out, just asking to add players who can help the team win. We've seen so many scholarships almost intentionally wasted the last three seasons, we're used to it.

I don't think people are freaking out, just asking to add players who can help the team win. We've seen so many scholarships almost intentionally wasted the last three seasons, we're used to it.
Fair but I don’t see this in the same category as D-2 players who don’t have the skill or size to play in the B1G. The strategy might not work but at least I can see it here as opposed to not using scholarships, or not getting players who can help in games or practice.

Really dumb logic. The team was far and away the worst team in the Big Ten. Bringing in guys to practice against other players is not a luxury that they can afford. Find a big that can actually play, contribute, and help make practices more competitive. This is the Big Ten. They can and should do better.

The Gophers were a bad mid major team last season. It was the worst season in program history and one of the worst seasons by any Big Ten team (Rutgers, Northwestern, etc included) since 2000. This team was near the bottom of all of division 1 in rebounding margin last season. Payne is extremely foul prone and behind him is either a former DII player who hasn't played for 2 full seasons because of serious knee injuries and has never played DI basketball in Fox OR this guy who has been walking on the football team, then the basketball team at Washington State. If this guy is playing 4-8 minutes a game it's a problem. He played at least 8 minutes in a game once all season. Years ago the Gophers brought an OLineman over from the football team because of injuries (might have been Matt Anderle). This is that type of situation, and now Minnesota is giving him a scholarship.

If you squint REALLY hard, we've got 3 guys capable of starting in the Big Ten right now and that includes Mitchell who was the starting PG on a team that was worse than the Gophers last year. Ben Johnson needs to be hitting absolute homeruns in the portal and he's not even making contact here.

Well, if it makes you so miserable, watch something else next basketball season.

Really dumb logic. The team was far and away the worst team in the Big Ten. Bringing in guys to practice against other players is not a luxury that they can afford. Find a big that can actually play, contribute, and help make practices more competitive. This is the Big Ten. They can and should do better.
Blown away

To add in case people didn't know -- he was originally a 4 star recruit out of HS and went to Oregon State.

Transferred to Idaho before the spring semester of his freshman year. Played the 2nd half of his sophomore year, and 4 games of his junior year. Not sure why he quit.

Then after playing football at WSU for a couple years he walked on and had a limited role when he joined the team in December. Remember how limited Bryant Allen was for us when he joined after FB? His stats don’t concern me. He is not going to play any kind of major role on the floor. I prefer this to burning the scholarship.
In addition to all you've pointed out with his likely role, depth behind Payne, Garcia, and Fox, I suspect that if we can sign one more good guard, Johnson may be more likely to play with a smaller lineup on occasion when Payne or Garcia are sitting. Wilson will not be expected to be a big contributor. He's for practice, insurance, and some special situations. We haven't had that kind of depth the last two years. Hopefully we don't need him much.

IF this is as a scholarship player it's an absolute joke. Downgrading from Treyton Thompson was quite a task, but Ben might have managed to do it. Remember when people claimed he was a "good" recruiter, some even claimed "great"? If 4 of the 13 scholarships go to Ramberg, Wilson, and two guys coming off double serious knee injuries...I don't want to hear a single word all year about an injury or illness or any nonsense claiming "bad luck".

You only post negative posts, which mostly are off.

He is an athlete and wants to be here and understands his role- why not trying be enthusiastic for once, you can always be negative later and in the interim you save yourself unnecessary stress - it’s called science/health😃

Have a great weekend unless you’ve made other plans.

People realize we have Betts, Payne, Garcia and Ola-Joseph coming back? If Ihnen and Fox have anything, what minutes are there really to give out? Dudes a one year player that fills a role the coach wants.

IF this is as a scholarship player it's an absolute joke. Downgrading from Treyton Thompson was quite a task, but Ben might have managed to do it. Remember when people claimed he was a "good" recruiter, some even claimed "great"? If 4 of the 13 scholarships go to Ramberg, Wilson, and two guys coming off double serious knee injuries...I don't want to hear a single word all year about an injury or illness or any nonsense claiming "bad luck".

And this -

🎭👸🏽

Straw man argument. You would be hard pressed to find five posters on this board that suggested the problem last year was bad luck.

People realize we have Betts, Payne, Garcia and Ola-Joseph coming back? If Ihnen and Fox have anything, what minutes are there really to give out? Dudes a one year player that fills a role the coach wants.
Well said and many of us understand that. Unfortunately some can’t grasp that concept and expect all transfers to be high ceiling guys that will log a lot of minutes.

Not freaking out either but Payne hasn't proven he can stay on the court without fouling. That fact was always why I was more bothered by Battle leaving than others because you could get away with Garcia at the 5 and Battle at the 4 in the event Payne had fouls. Now our backups at the 4 and 5 are completely unproven (Betts), complete unknown injury recoveries (Ihnen/Fox), undersized (Ola Joseph) and a football player. We will need one or two of those guys to exceed expectations.

Wilson looks like a poor man's Nicola Pekovic with all those tattoos. I hope he can give 10 minutes of protection against teams with big bruisers.

I for one hope he succeeds in making Payne better able to match up with the bigs. Welcome Jack!

Top Bottom