Jack Wilson commits

Giving this staff the benefit of the doubt seems like the wrong thing to do.
Maybe....but still going to trust their opinion of players over those of a bunch of people sitting behind keyboards. If Johnson is wrong and the team fails again it will all work itself and those of you desperate to see him fired will get your wish.

Dickinson, Edwards, Ware, Nkamhoua, Ike, Cisse, Aimaq, Shredrick, Handlogten, Baker, Krikke, Minor, DeLoach, Oduro, Boone, Mast, Samuel, Lampkin Jr. I'm sure there are others. I'd take all them over Payne for next year.
I call bull.....you just googled top centers in the portal and listed them. Maybe 5 of those are better than Payne right now.

LOL! Dumbest post in history. Howie is negative. Every game where we fall behind he declares over. It’s been a negative two years. I don’t know if Ben is a good coach or a bad one but either way I trust his judgement on basketball players far more than any poster here.
He had a more accurate opinion of our teams the last two seasons than the Ben-apologists or Ben, himself.

That does objectively lineup with the general performance of the team the last 2 seasons.
Sure it does. A person who dwells on the negative was going to be right a lot these last two years. It doesn't mean that they know anything- it just means that times matched the attitude.

Dear Big Jack,
If you're reading this thread, I apologize on behalf of all Gopher fans. Thank you for committing to come play for the U of Minnesota. I hope you have a great season and forgive the negativity. May you use it as fuel to shove it up a lot of poster's asses.
Sincerely,
Cheeseheadgophfan

Dear Big Jack,
If you're reading this thread, I apologize on behalf of all Gopher fans. Thank you for committing to come play for the U of Minnesota. I hope you have a great season and forgive the negativity. May you use it as fuel to shove it up a lot of poster's asses.
Sincerely,
Cheeseheadgophfan
Here's the thing about Jack. He has worked on himself (look at the build) and he has a great attitude along with massive size. Those are some attributes I like to see on an actual team. A team is a unit of people who play roles, who inspire one another and produces results beyond just the pure sum of the talents involved. Welcome Jack- I hope you are part of a really good and fun team this coming year.

Payne had like 3 really solid games last year... He has a ton of growth to do before he's this elite player y'all think he is...
Can't shoot free throws
Please don't ask him to shoot from further than 5' away from the rim
Foul prone as a mofo......

Yes he has huge upside .. but he's got aways to go before he reaches that

I call bull.....you just googled top centers in the portal and listed them. Maybe 5 of those are better than Payne right now.

We don't need someone to compete with Payne, just someone who can at least provide defense at a high level if he needs to rest or sit with foul trouble. Maybe that is already Parker Fox? We shall see.

Really just a fill in against the Purdue's, Wisconsin, Illinois type teams. Most teams don't have those big dominant types of centers anymore but when they do Fox isn't going to be able to defend them.

Dear Big Jack,
Sincerely,
Cheeseheadgophfan
If Big Jack is reading this he is having a big laugh over having drawn more posts in 24 hours than Dennis Evans. Free fun.

Maybe....but still going to trust their opinion of players over those of a bunch of people sitting behind keyboards. If Johnson is wrong and the team fails again it will all work itself and those of you desperate to see him fired will get your wish.

I will admit it's tough to gauge how good this guy is because he didn't play at Wazzu and played at Idaho where he avg 4 ppg.

Look....you can write them off and assume they are lost causes. I am going to give them a chance to show what they can do before giving up on them. Ihnen was highly rated out of high school and Fox was a prized target in the portal so both have some ability.

My point on Curry is that he came back and was able to play his entire final year. He was in a terrible situation given the lack of front court players but would have been very successful most likely if he could have been looked at for a role similar to what Fox and or Ihnen will most likely need to play on the 23-24 team.

I am not writing them off as lost causes. I'm saying we should be recruiting as if they will give us 0 minutes this season, which is exactly what they have given us the last 2 seasons. If they can contribute, then that's icing on the cake.

Payne had like 3 really solid games last year... He has a ton of growth to do before he's this elite player y'all think he is...
Can't shoot free throws
Please don't ask him to shoot from further than 5' away from the rim
Foul prone as a mofo......

Yes he has huge upside .. but he's got aways to go before he reaches that
Not one person has said he is an elite player right now.....not a single one.

He played very well for a true freshman big man in the Big Ten. And late in the year he was showing flashes of becoming a force inside. He will have an entire off season to work on his game and continue improving.

Good lord are some of you this negative when you step out from behind the keyboard too?

Payne avg 8 and 5 on an awful team. Yes, he was a FR, and yes I like his upside, but those guys listed, are either currently better, or had better production on better teams.

I am not writing them off as lost causes. I'm saying we should be recruiting as if they will give us 0 minutes this season, which is exactly what they have given us the last 2 seasons. If they can contribute, then that's icing on the cake.
If you are recruiting as if you are going to get no production out of them....that would be the definition of writing them off.

Not one person has said he is an elite player right now.....not a single one.

He played very well for a true freshman big man in the Big Ten. And late in the year he was showing flashes of becoming a force inside. He will have an entire off season to work on his game and continue improving.

Good lord are some of you this negative when you step out from behind the keyboard too?
My response was to someone saying there were very few players avail at the center position better than him. I'm NOT negative on him but it's absurd to think there are not more than 5 players avail better than him... Right Meow

If you are recruiting as if you are going to get no production out of them....that would be the definition of writing them off.

No, it's called mitigating the risks that have led to us having the worst back to back seasons in program history. It's exactly what a competent coach would be doing.

My response was to someone saying there were very few players avail at the center position better than him. I'm NOT negative on him but it's absurd to think there are not more than 5 players avail better than him... Right Meow
Fair enough....obviously there are guys better than Payne in the portal. And those guys will be in massive demand from the top programs and most likely the biggest spenders.

And if you are referring to the poster I think you are (Big Dawg) he asked for guys that were better than Payne AND realistic recruits for us to land in the portal.

FYI, the most minutes he ever played in a game last year was 10, and that was one time, encompassing 25% of his entire season's minutes.

Also, there's more to setting good, legal picks than size alone - it definitely helps, but if he was good at it, he'd have played a lot more. Part of the issue is being an offensive threat on the "roll" part of "pick and roll", which he is not.

It's ok if he just ends up being a practice banger. What is odd to me is that he could have done this same thing at WSU. This is what you do with your final year?

FYI, the most minutes he ever played in a game last year was 10, and that was one time, encompassing 25% of his entire season's minutes.

Also, there's more to setting good, legal picks than size alone - it definitely helps, but if he was good at it, he'd have played a lot more. Part of the issue is being an offensive threat on the "roll" part of "pick and roll", which he is not.

It's ok if he just ends up being a practice banger. What is odd to me is that he could have done this same thing at WSU. This is what you do with your final year?
Clearly WSU couldn't match our NIL offer😏

No, it's called mitigating the risks that have led to us having the worst back to back seasons in program history. It's exactly what a competent coach would be doing.
With a finite number of roster spaces you have to plan based on where things are at the moment not where they would be in a worst case scenario. Very few teams are setup to withstand multiple season ending injuries and still do well in college basketball.

Johnson has a better idea than any of us as to what Ihnen, Fox, and Betts can and can't do and he is coaching for his job. So if he isn't going out and looking for viable front court options it means he feels good about what he has in place.

If he is wrong you won't have to worry about complaining about him anymore since he will most likely get fired.

Sure it does. A person who dwells on the negative was going to be right a lot these last two years. It doesn't mean that they know anything- it just means that times matched the attitude.
This is quite a take. There was no need to dwell, the results thus far have been clear. No one wants them to be bad lol

Also, there's more to setting good, legal picks than size alone - it definitely helps, but if he was good at it, he'd have played a lot more.
Don't forget that with that much mass, he could have trouble getting his feet set and end up with blocking fouls instead of taking charges. We need his fouls to come in the paint, right?

I think peoples' heads would explode if it turned out WSU brought in a transfer center from the portal and asked this guy to leave.

He would not have started at center this coming year.
How do you know? I thought you had to be at practices to know this kinda stuff, or does that only apply to the posters complaining about this commitment?

Also, we weren't talking about "starting" - we were talking about competing. Do you honestly feel he wasn't going to compete? Honestly? If you're going to answer with different words again, don't bother.

The coaches job is to improve the roster. To out recruit the current players. I'm sorry but if your an athlete and have issues with that.. get the fuck off the team... You won't pan out to be shit anyway...

Go do your job Ben and get PLAYERS who can really play the game at a high level... Compete with the current rosters and who knows actually get better.....

How do you know? I thought you had to be at practices to know this kinda stuff, or does that only apply to the posters complaining about this commitment?

Also, we weren't talking about "starting" - we were talking about competing. Do you honestly feel he wasn't going to compete? Honestly? If you're going to answer with different words again, don't bother.
I think Evans was a big loss for the program for the long term. I don’t think that a 7 foot 190# kid who scored 14 points in a mid level HS league for a .500 team was going to come in and beat Payne out at center next year. Do you?

Top Bottom