Illinois QB Chris Streveler a Gopher commit

Looks bigger than his listed size. His throwing style is almost identical to Joe Namath's. It's bizarre.

Highwayman: The Namath comparison is brilliant!!! Thank God he doesn't run like Joe Willie.

Weber wasn't as highly recruited as stated either. He had a Wisconsin offer and 2 MAC offers and he committed in August.

Steveler recently received a 3* and 30th rated dual-threat QB via ESPN.

ESPN scouting report: (I'm not an insider so I could not get the entire report)
Streveler is a very good looking kid athletically. He is a pocket passer with deceptively good speed and feet to be a threat on the run. Has good height and is well built with the frame to continue to fill out and develop physically.

I also foresee his stock rising as he has a big senior seaon.

So I'm assuming you also believe Jerry Kill is smarter and better at evaluating than any other BCS Conference coach in America?

You can't have it both ways. You can't chide those who question why the kid has no other BCS offers because they're not football coaches, but also blindly back the coach who recruited him when no other coaches in BCS conferences did.

There is also a factor of different coaches looking for different things. I totally agree with your point that to bring up the "you're not a coach card" opens up the criticism of "no other coach has offerred".

For me though, it comes down to how much you trust your coach. If you have a coach you trust, then I am completely fine with him seeing a kid in a camp and immedietly wanting him to be part of the team. I would hate it if we have a coach who wanted to offer a kid but wasn't confident enough in himself to go out on a limb, if he started thinking "why isn't anyone else offerring him?"

I'm not an insider so I could not get the entire report

Streveler is a very good looking kid athletically. He is a pocket passer with deceptively good speed and feet to be a threat on the run. Has good height and is well built with the frame to continue to fill out and develop physically. He has a pushers appearance, but is still very productive as a touch and timing passer with just enough mustard to zip the ball into some tight spots underneath and to intermediate levels. Plays in a multiple set and shows very good ball handling and drop speed. Possesses more than adequate speed for the position and good scrambling ability. Gets set quickly and does a good job of making progression reads in his drops. Footwork is consistent and quick. Shows adequate zip and RPM's on all throws, but is at his best with touch on deep throws to the corner and down the sideline that require him to drop the ball in over the top of coverage. Good athlete that is effective throwing from the pocket or on the move. Has presence to find receivers when the he has to roll out. He is a playmaker and can make a play when the pocket collapses. Can change ball speeds. Overall accuracy is good, but there is little in this offense by way of intermediate throws that require power to fit the ball. With Streveler you have a productive guy with good measurables, but his delivery while relatively quick is likely hindering his recruitment to some degree. Is unorthodox and does not stroke the ball smoothly, but pushes it. Generally the end result is positive. Streveler has many redeeming qualities to his game. Is a short and deep passer and must continue to develop at intermediate ranges and dropping from center. Solid prospect.

Thanks, that scouting report seems spot on.

Also, Most dual-threat qb's, even the top rated ones, need alot of work on their throwing mechanics out of high school.

We can now all sleep at night he is going to be a 3 star instead of a horrible 2 star.

Steveler recently received a 3* and 30th rated dual-threat QB via ESPN.

ESPN scouting report: (I'm not an insider so I could not get the entire report)
Streveler is a very good looking kid athletically. He is a pocket passer with deceptively good speed and feet to be a threat on the run. Has good height and is well built with the frame to continue to fill out and develop physically.

I also foresee his stock rising as he has a big senior seaon.

If you don't think he is a MAC level talent then you are mistaken.

Of course it's possible, although incredibly highley unlikely.

Weber had a pretty good set up here though. He didn't have any competition, he started all 4 seasons, he passed a lot, he had Decker for 3 seasons. . .

While the Brew years weren't good for the program, it's hard to argue that they weren't somewhat beneficial to Adam Weber. It seems a bit misleading to point to Weber's stats in our program and then argue that if it wasn't for the state of our program he would have been better.

Adam Weber had every opportunity to succeed and in a lot of ways he did succeed. I just think it's a giant leap to assume that the U held him back in any way. He started 4 years, played all the time, threw all the time, and had a legit NFL WR for 3 of those years.

you think it's a giant leap to assume that the u held him back? i am not saying that it was the u that held him back, i'm saying that it was the three offensive schemes, the quarterback coach that jimmied with his motion after year two, it was the fact that he never had a back that averaged over 3.7 ypc after year one, or the fact that he was sacked 102 times in his career, or the pathetic defenses the gophers have traditionally trotted out onto the field.

yes, decker made a lot of catches, but if i had defensive ends breathing in my earhole every play, i'd target my potential all-american too.

i'm not saying that weber was perfect, but i don't think it's as big of a stretch to imagine weber flourishing in a more stable system as you imagine. but again it's an argument that doesn't lend itself to a conclusion.

you think it's a giant leap to assume that the u held him back? i am not saying that it was the u that held him back, i'm saying that it was the three offensive schemes, the quarterback coach that jimmied with his motion after year two, it was the fact that he never had a back that averaged over 3.7 ypc after year one, or the fact that he was sacked 102 times in his career, or the pathetic defenses the gophers have traditionally trotted out onto the field.

yes, decker made a lot of catches, but if i had defensive ends breathing in my earhole every play, i'd target my potential all-american too.

i'm not saying that weber was perfect, but i don't think it's as big of a stretch to imagine weber flourishing in a more stable system as you imagine. but again it's an argument that doesn't lend itself to a conclusion.

Wrong thread.

tjfelts_4 said:
Thanks, that scouting report seems spot on.

Also, Most dual-threat qb's, even the top rated ones, need alot of work on their throwing mechanics out of high school.

Have you watched a ton of his games to validate the scouting report?

I understand the arguments that Weber's development was held back by the U. I think they are pretty unsubstantiated.

I think this kind of analysis requires you to look at the situation from both sides. The situation definitely wasn't perfect, he had poor protection a couple of the years (our inability to protect the passer those years is largely overblown). He didn't have a running game. He switched OCs.

On the other hand, he played a ton with practically zero competition (If Weber was getting pulled more in his Junior season you can bet Weber fans would be arguing ". . .and he had to worry about getting pulled out after every mistake"), his teams threw a lot and he had relatively decent WRs. That is a good way to pad stats.

All in all, I think it was pretty nuetral. He had three decent seasons at the U and I've never argued that he was the source of our problems. However, I've never understood the "conclusion" that Weber's development was held back by the U.

PS: Jacori Harris, his first year with Fisch, completed 65% of his passes and he had a better than 2-1 Td/int ratio. The villification of Jedd Fisch is stale.

I'm not saying he isn't, I just posted what I saw on ESPN.

It seems to me that he was probably the Gophers 5th option at QB and they missed on QB prospects 1-4. Instead of waiting around and seeing if prospects 1-4 change their mind, and possibly losing Streveler to a MAC school or a Wisconsin or Pitt team that missed on all their top QB prospects, they pulled the trigger.

I honestly think he is going to put up bigger numbers than Nelson did his senior year, while playing against similar to better competition.

I honestly think he is going to put up bigger numbers than Nelson did his senior year, while playing against similar to better competition.

If Streveler throws for 2,800+ yards and 35+ TDs and adds another 20+ TDs on the ground, we got ourselves a good one!

Dumbest Statement of the Year winner

None of us, including you, can say for sure what talent level he is at. You might check on how many future All-Americans weren’t ranked highly when they were juniors in high school.

Since I expect you haven’t I nominate you for having made the dumbest statement on the GopherHole in 2012. It still early but I am pulling for you Johnnyboy!

Yes because I'm overstating this. Go look at buckyville's forum and how they laugh at our last two signings.

Why would I go to buckyville to read what they think about our recruits??? You expect them to laud our commits? You think they know any more about our last two recruits than others on this board? Talk about a ridiculous, masochistic exercise-'let's go see what our hated rivals have to say about our recent under the radar recruits, perhaps they'll have something positive to say.' WTF?????

This gets my vote for most ridiculous post of the year. Quite a roll you're on.

Why would I go to buckyville to read what they think about our recruits??? You expect them to laud our commits? You think they know any more about our last two recruits than others on this board? Talk about a ridiculous, masochistic exercise-'let's go see what our hated rivals have to say about our recent under the radar recruits, perhaps they'll have something positive to say.' WTF?????

This gets my vote for most ridiculous post of the year. Quite a roll you're on.

+1

Why would anyone here give two $hit$ what the people at Buckyville think?

But you must they are the most trustworthy posters in all the land! No but seriously I don't think he is a Big 10 level player. Just my opinion and that's what forums are for.

Streveler may be viewed similar to Leidner, a guy that could play different positions (potentially WR or even DB) if it doesn't work out at QB. If Nelson is truly going to be a great multi-year player, than the QB from this class would only see the field for 1 year at most barring an injury. It then becomes more important to get a big-time QB in next year's class. I'm not saying Streveler won't be good, but it makes you wonder with the apparent lack of recruiting interest.

But you must they are the most trustworthy posters in all the land! No but seriously I don't think he is a Big 10 level player. Just my opinion and that's what forums are for.

That's right, it's YOUR opinion. Maybe you should try respecting other people's opinions.

Streveler may be viewed similar to Leidner, a guy that could play different positions (potentially WR or even DB) if it doesn't work out at QB. If Nelson is truly going to be a great multi-year player, than the QB from this class would only see the field for 1 year at most barring an injury. It then becomes more important to get a big-time QB in next year's class. I'm not saying Streveler won't be good, but it makes you wonder with the apparent lack of recruiting interest.

I really hope that is not how our staff is looking at this kid.

I wonder what other positions Phillip Nelson could play?

There is little doubt that he is the annointed one when it comes to GH'ers naming the starting QB for the next four years. Who knows who will be sending in the plays from the sideline. It could be Nelson. There could be some very good competition for the number one spot.

Bring it!

I really hope that is not how our staff is looking at this kid.

I do. I think it makes a lot of sense, but only if you don't think he's the right fit at QB after he's given it a shot. With a small class, giving yourself some flexibility by recruiting a kid who can play mult positions seems like a good plan to me.

Top Bottom