How many wins needed to not be disappointed in the season?

POL!!! - How many wins to not be disappointed?

• Total voters
Purdue and NW have given them trouble in the past, you never know if teams stop giving up the ball so much vs Iowa.
I know I'm probably crazy and wrong ...... but in the limited amount of time I've spent watching Iowa this year, I swear that teams are falling over themselves to throw the ball to Iowa's secondary.

Like, why do they keep throwing the ball to Iowa's players???

Iowa's players aren't special .... but yeah, even I can get a bunch of interceptions when the other team throws the ball right to me!

If we are 10-2 and lose the big ten title game
Hence why "the Rose Bowl would entirely come down to the B1G Championship game" means we would need to win it.

At 11-2, we would not make the CFP. But with the Cotton/Orange being the semi's this year, we would be in the top 10-ish and get picked by the Rose.

I'd frankly choose that over the CFP, where we'd just be guaranteed to lose against Georgia/Alabama in the semi.

Last edited:

Before the season I predicted the Gophers would be 9-3 but secretly hoped they would ambush Ohio State in week one and push the season ceiling to 10-2 or beyond. My biggest area of concern was the defense, which was bad last year. So my prediction and secret hopes hinged on the incoming transfers being good and Oliver returning an improved player after his injury.

Well, down goes Crab (and his situation looks like it will be touch and go all season), down goes Ibrahim, down goes Potts, out goes Dunlap, struggle goes Morgan, and fizzle goes the offense.

Ironic that after spending all offseason worrying about the defense, that they end up about as good as I hoped they could be while the offense has regressed. One usually can’t predict injuries (outside of Byron Buxton) but it seems clear now that I was too optimistic with my 9-3 prediction. I have dialed back my disappointment threshold to 9-4 with a bowl win, and I now predict I will be disappointed with something worse than that.
This is what Fleck said in the presser this week:

https://247sports.com/college/minne...skers-Preview-Coach-PJ-Fleck-quotes-172884977

WHAT ARE THE STATUSES OF AUTMAN-BELL AND DYLAN WRIGHT GOING INTO THIS WEEKEND?

Fleck: "Dylan is back. I think it's been well documented why he was gone and for good reason. He's doing okay and I know he appreciates everybody support, prayers and thoughts as well as he deals with what he's going through. And then Chris is good. He's fine."

So ..... what the hell is Fleck talking about, with Wright???

Wright was key in the first three games. Then he fell off the face of the Earth.

This is what Fleck said in the presser this week:

https://247sports.com/college/minne...skers-Preview-Coach-PJ-Fleck-quotes-172884977

WHAT ARE THE STATUSES OF AUTMAN-BELL AND DYLAN WRIGHT GOING INTO THIS WEEKEND?

Fleck: "Dylan is back. I think it's been well documented why he was gone and for good reason. He's doing okay and I know he appreciates everybody support, prayers and thoughts as well as he deals with what he's going through. And then Chris is good. He's fine."

So ..... what the hell is Fleck talking about, with Wright???

Wright was key in the first three games. Then he fell off the face of the Earth.
Did you miss the part about his friend getting shot and killed recently?

Holy shit. Yes, I absolutely did miss that.

Very sorry to hear that.

I will crawl back under my rock, now. Apologies!

Holy shit. Yes, I absolutely did miss that.

Very sorry to hear that.

I will crawl back under my rock, now. Apologies!
Not just a friend, I think they were either step siblings or half siblings? I think they said something like that during the purdue game when talking about it (maybe just that they were as close as brothers?).

Either way, they grew up together so Dylan was down in Texas with his family during the Purdue game.

OK, so that explains it for the Purdue game. That is what it is (again, very sorry to hear that!).

But that doesn't explain the following (Dylan Wright's receiving stats):

OpponentRecYdsAvgTD
Ohio State55711.41
Miami (OH)37324.31
Colorado13939.00
Bowling Green000.00

Is this like an even more stupid version of the Zimmer-Dantzler thing?? Come on Fleck, pull your head out of your ass and get this kid the ball!!

Not just a friend, I think they were either step siblings or half siblings? I think they said something like that during the Purdue game when talking about it (maybe just that they were as close as brothers?).

Either way, they grew up together so Dylan was down in Texas with his family during the Purdue game.
I heard that on the broadcast as well, but I can't find anyone else corroborating that.

OK, so that explains it for the Purdue game. That is what it is (again, very sorry to hear that!).

But that doesn't explain the following (Dylan Wright's receiving stats):

OpponentRecYdsAvgTD
Ohio State55711.41
Miami (OH)37324.31
Colorado13939.00
Bowling Green000.00

Is this like an even more stupid version of the Zimmer-Dantzler thing?? Come on Fleck, pull your head out of your ass and get this kid the ball!!
Didn't he leave early in the game? I do recall him being the target on the first of Morgan's picks

I know I'm probably crazy and wrong ...... but in the limited amount of time I've spent watching Iowa this year, I swear that teams are falling over themselves to throw the ball to Iowa's secondary.

Like, why do they keep throwing the ball to Iowa's players???

Iowa's players aren't special .... but yeah, even I can get a bunch of interceptions when the other team throws the ball right to me!
I highly doubt it. Iowa is a good defense, front and back.

I highly doubt it. Iowa is a good defense, front and back.
You're probably right.

I'm saying: I saw what I saw, in the limited time I've observed. It was the Indiana game at the start of the year, and the Penn St game this past weekend. Certainly didn't watch the whole thing.

But some of the picks were just throwing right at the Iowa guy.

Didn't he leave early in the game? I do recall him being the target on the first of Morgan's picks
I recall people posting that he had an argument on the sideline with the coaching staff and never went back in.

We can obviously look back in hindsight and say that the offense should've tried much harder to win the game, and that they acted all game like the win would just fall from the sky eventually.

It was too late when they started trying, and unfortunately Morgan tried to do too much and threw the picks.

Need to finish the regular season at least 8-4 with a win over one of Bucky or Iowa, those games are just worth more to the perception of the program. My theory on Bowl games is if you're good enough to be there, you're good enough to win, so I would prefer to win that game. Worst case scenario would be to drop the Nebby, Wisconsin and Iowa games, finish 7-5 and end up in a crappy bowl in Detroit and starring an offensive rebuild down for next year

Need to finish the regular season at least 8-4 with a win over one of Bucky or Iowa, those games are just worth more to the perception of the program. My theory on Bowl games is if you're good enough to be there, you're good enough to win, so I would prefer to win that game. Worst case scenario would be to drop the Nebby, Wisconsin and Iowa games, finish 7-5 and end up in a crappy bowl in Detroit and starring an offensive rebuild down for next year
If your worst case scenario plays out, this forum will go ballistic arguing between the defenders of Fleck and everyone else.

Injuries happen. Every team has them. Some teams compensate, some can't. In a year when Wisconsin is struggling, 2021 is a prime opportunity to turn things around. Iowa was always going to be tough as a road game. But the fact that we lost to BG means the Gophs have to find a way to win a game that they're underdogs in.

Nebraska now looks to be that game. IMO.

If your worst case scenario plays out, this forum will go ballistic arguing between the defenders of Fleck and everyone else.

Injuries happen. Every team has them. Some teams compensate, some can't. In a year when Wisconsin is struggling, 2021 is a prime opportunity to turn things around. Iowa was always going to be tough as a road game. But the fact that we lost to BG means the Gophs have to find a way to win a game that they're underdogs in.

Nebraska now looks to be that game. IMO.
I guess technically we are dogs to Nebby, we were also dogs to Colorado and Purdue and like those games I think we have the better team

I guess technically we are dogs to Nebby, we were also dogs to Colorado and Purdue and like those games I think we have the better team
I agree in part. Still don't think Huskers should be favs. Not with the veteran team Fleck has.

You're probably right.

I'm saying: I saw what I saw, in the limited time I've observed. It was the Indiana game at the start of the year, and the Penn St game this past weekend. Certainly didn't watch the whole thing.

It's true that the Indiana QB is having a bad year and Penn St inexplicably had no QB to replace Clifford. I concede you might have caught one of his feeble shot putts but then imagine you would have stumbled and fumbled it back. But Iowa has not gotten that huge number of turnovers just on luck.

You're probably right.

Uh, the only pick thrown "right at the Iowa guy" in the PSU game was from the starter, Clifford. Other than that, the Iowa defensive backs are diving for those interceptions.

I want to see our defenders getting those picks on Saturday.

the only pick thrown "right at the Iowa guy" in the PSU game was from the starter, Clifford.
Then I guess that's the one I saw. Like I said, I wasn't watching that entire game closely. Nor did I watch their IU game closely for the entire game.

If we are 10-2 and lose the big ten title game…the bowling green game would absolutely put us behind the east runner up for the rose bowl or even 11-1 Iowa who we beat
Guys I would take this

Sorry, went from sky-high going into the 4th quarter against OH-IO State to just happy to win enough to be in a bowl game now. Losing Mo...with a hurt CrAB...and now losing Potts too...has blown up what could have been a pretty good offense.

The D has improved and the Special Forces are performing, so I agree there is hope. But for me anyway Mo was the key to a BIG year. Have had to hit the reset button and hope to win enough to get the extra practices and game...even Detroit. Sad but true.

Hope they exceed my much lowered expectations.
Have improved my best for this team.

Up to 9...which means beating one of our neighbors this year. At least one more legacy trophy in the case to not be disappointed.

Hard to believe 10% of people are already disappointed.
Could go 11-3 and be disappointed.

Some of you people need more joy in your life.

Hard to believe 10% of people are already disappointed.
Could go 11-3 and be disappointed.

Some of you people need more joy in your life.

Yeah, 10%. Wow. That's interesting.

I'd be curious to know what those people's expectations/predictions were before the season started. Were they predicting or expecting a CFP berth? B1G Championship, or bust?

Yeah, 10%. Wow. That's interesting.

I'd be curious to know what those people's expectations/predictions were before the season started. Were they predicting or expecting a CFP berth? B1G Championship, or bust?
I was not in the group (my take was that my overall expectations for win totals were unaffected by the BGSU loss, so if the Gophs dropped that one, they could make it up elsewhere). If I had to guess, I assume their thinking went along the lines of "I expected this team to be good enough that losing to a team like BGSU wouldn't happen, and that loss occurring in and of itself means this team is not as good as I expected it to be." I disagree with that rationale. I'd also note that this poll was much closer in time to the BGSU loss that happened close to a pretty underwhelming Miami OH win and a rough second half collapse against a very good OSU team, so I bet if asked today, a good chunk of those fans would say "I'd be happy with this season if we beat Iowa and WI and go to Indy."

I was not in the group (my take was that my overall expectations for win totals were unaffected by the BGSU loss, so if the Gophs dropped that one, they could make it up elsewhere). If I had to guess, I assume their thinking went along the lines of "I expected this team to be good enough that losing to a team like BGSU wouldn't happen, and that loss occurring in and of itself means this team is not as good as I expected it to be." I disagree with that rationale. I'd also note that this poll was much closer in time to the BGSU loss that happened close to a pretty underwhelming Miami OH win and a rough second half collapse against a very good OSU team, so I bet if asked today, a good chunk of those fans would say "I'd be happy with this season if we beat Iowa and WI and go to Indy."

I see what you're saying. I think you're probably correct.

Here's the thing: Any and all rational Gopher fans were bitterly disappointed in the BG loss.

But it is a long season, and to continue to carry that disappointment for the entirety of 2021 — because of one loss back in Week 4 — seems self-defeating, to me. Why let it ruin our good time now? What purpose does that serve? I know I have thoroughly enjoyed the games since the BG loss, and I don't think I'm the only one.

There is no use crying over spilled milk.

8 + a bowl win is correct.

Worst case at this point is losing to Iowa and Wisconsin, just like almost every other year. Should beat Ill and at Ind. Would then get a winnable bowl game.

With top three RB's out?? Come on. Be reasonable. We've done a damn fine job so far.

8 + a bowl win is correct.

Worst case at this point is losing to Iowa and Wisconsin, just like almost every other year. Should beat Ill and at Ind. Would then get a winnable bowl game.

With top three RB's out?? Come on. Be reasonable. We've done a damn fine job so far.
If we lose to Iowa and Wisconsin, but otherwise win out and win the bowl game, this will basically be like 2016 except with a bad BGSU loss on top of it. We would have done a good job of beating the bad to average teams, lost the trophy games, and lost to all of the good regular season teams we played. If we end the regular season losing all the trophies, with a loss to BGSU, and with our best win being against Purdue, I'd be pretty underwhelmed. I don't think that will happen. This team is good enough to beat Iowa and Wisconsin (reminder: we are ranked ahead of both of them), and certainly good enough to at least split the two.

Win the B1G West, and I will be a happy man! 😃

If we lose to Iowa and Wisconsin, but otherwise win out and win the bowl game, this will basically be like 2016 except with a bad BGSU loss on top of it. We would have done a good job of beating the bad to average teams, lost the trophy games, and lost to all of the good regular season teams we played. If we end the regular season losing all the trophies, with a loss to BGSU, and with our best win being against Purdue, I'd be pretty underwhelmed. I don't think that will happen. This team is good enough to beat Iowa and Wisconsin (reminder: we are ranked ahead of both of them), and certainly good enough to at least split the two.
Let me make sure I have it correct:

2016 - 8 + bowl win, losses to @PSU and @Neb, along with Iowa and @Wisc, and win in Holiday == (very? pretty? no adverb?) underwhelming/meh

2019 - 10 + bowl win, losses to @ Iowa and Wisc, and win in Outback == one of the best seasons in history

hypothetical 2021 - 8 + bowl win, losses to Ohio St, BG, along with @ Iowa and Wisc, and win in say the Vegas == pretty underwhelming/meh.

?

That is an extreme steep curve of "sentiment of season" vs results. Not sure if it's a fair enough, tbh.

Top Bottom