How many wins needed to not be disappointed in the season?

POL!!! - How many wins to not be disappointed?

• Total voters

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
With the college season essentially at the halfway point for most teams, and seeing what has happened good and bad to the Gophers, how many wins do you need the Gophers achieve to not be disappointed this year?

I picked 8 plus a bowl win. I'm good with anything that gets us to 9 whether it is the bowl or not. Also, I'd be happy if we win the west and play in the B1G championship game, regardless of how we get there. Also, if the 8 includes Floyd and the Axe I'll be happy, even if the 8th win comes in a bowl game after a 7-5 season. So there are still multiple paths to me not being disappointed, all of which are still in play. And, with how the west has looked, all possible.

I think early on I would have been thinking 9/10 wins considering the level of the team.

A couple things have changed.

The Iowa game from being a game I almost felt we would be favored in has turned into a game that I fear will more closely resemble that 2020 Iowa game. We won't be facing an Iowa team that got beat up by a tough schedule struggling at 5-4 when we play them.

-We lost our best player.​
-We lost the number one backup to him.​
-The next backup has proven to be a disappointment (CW)​
-Tanner isn't the same without an NFL wide receiver.​
- WI looks worse, but Neb looks better​

my view on season has changed:

MN isn't as good as I thought (shocker, I'm fan that thought my team would be better) particularly in the passing game

Nebraska/Iowa in particular are better than I thought. Iowa is A LOT better than I though, I thought they'd be an 8-4 team, look at players that left. I do think they come back to earth a bit, but win west

Wisconsin/NW/Indiana are worse than I thought

If we can pull out wins vs: Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Maryland I would be disappointed and lose rest, I'd be meh, that's average, considering

We lost our top 2 Rb's for season and forgot how to pass

Wi/Ne are the big ones, go 1-1 it's what I thought, 2-0 yaaay, 0-2, boo

Beating Iowa would be huge, ruin their season, getting the Pig...that would elevate season a bit

If we don't see offense improve over season, even sans 2 RB's, I would want PJ to take a hard look at replacing Sanford

EDIT: I feel we drop one of Maryland or Indiana in disappointing fashion

^^^ Good posts.

That said, I remain firm on this being the floor for an "acceptable" ceiling: need to beat all remaining teams except for Iowa and Wisconsin and draw a tough team in the bowl game and lose.

Anything above that, which I also say includes losing two more regular season games but beating one of Iowa or Wisconsin (eg, lose at IU but come back to beat Wisc), is icing.

Losing to Nebraska would suck. But if we only lose to Iowa, in addition to that, and then beat Wisconsin, I still consider that worthwhile.

So, this still comes out to a 9-3 regular season record. Pretty damn good. This is doable !

Already disappointed. I guess win out including big ten title game… but even then I’ll be like…why didn’t we have a game plan against bowling greeen

I said eight plus bowl win for nine. Really need to take down Wisconsin this year at home for me to see the season as a success though. They are venerable.

Lol that’s ridiculous.
It’s not ridiculous if you thought this team could win 9-10 in June and they’re already guaranteed no more than 10 in week 6.

I probably just say that because I don’t believe 10 is a possibility. But if we are 10-2 with a big ten title game loss and go to the outback bowl instead of the rose because we lost to bowling green…it would be really disappointing

At the beginning of the season, winning 8 regular season games was my minimum for a successful season. Now after all the injuries and offensive problems, I’ve lowered that to 7, which means we’ll still have a winning conference record of 5 and 4.

I said eight plus bowl win for nine. Really need to take down Wisconsin this year at home for me to see the season as a success though. They are venerable.
no way am I bowing down to pray to Bucky

Last edited:

I just don't see the Gophers beating Iowa. So, for me, this is a two-game season - Neb and WI.

If the Gophers lose to Neb, and manage to beat everyone else except IA, then it comes down to the WI game for a chance to go either 8-4 or 7-5.

if the Gophers beat Neb, then the WI game is the decider between 9-3 and 8-4.

This assumes the Gophers can beat the other teams on the schedule - which I now have questions about given the Gophers' inconsistent play and injury issues.

given expectations coming into the season, losses to Neb and WI for a 7-5 record would be seen - I think - as not living up to expectations. 8-4 would be better. 9-3 - given everything that has taken place - is about as good as I think could be reasonably expected.

I just don't see the Gophers beating Iowa. So, for me, this is a two-game season - Neb and WI.

If the Gophers lose to Neb, and manage to beat everyone else except IA, then it comes down to the WI game for a chance to go either 8-4 or 7-5.

if the Gophers beat Neb, then the WI game is the decider between 9-3 and 8-4.

This assumes the Gophers can beat the other teams on the schedule - which I now have questions about given the Gophers' inconsistent play and injury issues.

given expectations coming into the season, losses to Neb and WI for a 7-5 record would be seen - I think - as not living up to expectations. 8-4 would be better. 9-3 - given everything that has taken place - is about as good as I think could be reasonably expected.
Good summary, and agree.

Huge game this weekend. Should be good weather. Hope the Bank is rocking! Let's goooo

Ignoring the Bowling green loss which would make any season disappointing in some aspect, I'd like to see at least 8 wins and think it is obtainable despite the inconsistency we have seen. Obviously want to win out, but think at this point 9 wins is the ceiling unless we pull off a win against Iowa.

no way am I bowing down to pray to Bucky

If we lose to both Iowa and Bucky.....and end with eight wins.....this season would a failure in my eyes. If we win 9 games including a bowl win (which would mean winning every other game).....my enthusiasm will cap at content.

We were supposed to have experience all over the roster this year. And considering how bad Bucky has played this year....you have to beat them. Because the West will likely be out of the question if we don't win the Iowa game. Get the Axe and get to a decent bowl.

If Fleck and Sanford open up the passing playbook, I think we surprise everyone.
We have talented receivers, Ky and Bucko were good/really good in limited time (stat wise)

8 wins minimum.

7 wins willbe disappointing. Probably best scenario right now(today). 6 wins might be the best bet. Sad

Too many really good things can still happen for this GOPHER team this Big Ten season to even consider what kind of season this will be for our team in 2021. And then, we will still have the bowl game to play!

Only pre- season EXPECTATIONS can be pretty much EXPECTED to insure let-down, hatred, blaming and the wrath of “…loyal…” fans on this board.

I said we'd win 8-10 this year so I stuck with that and said 8 wins is my cutoff.

And considering how bad Bucky has played this year....you have to beat them. Because the West will likely be out of the question if we don't win the Iowa game. Get the Axe and get to a decent bowl.
Sure, this is what I want to have happen.

I guess I don't know if it's realistic anymore, hence modulating my expectations/disappointment relative to the start of the year.

If we beat Neb, win all other games except Iowa and Wisc, as always, then still get a decent bowl and win it ... end up at 9-4. Tough for me to call that a disappointment. Losses to Ohio State, then the usual Iowa and Wisc. Plus the weird Bowling Green loss. A full notch below 2019, but still a pretty good year.

It’s not ridiculous if you thought this team could win 9-10 in June and they’re already guaranteed no more than 10 in week 6.

I probably just say that because I don’t believe 10 is a possibility. But if we are 10-2 with a big ten title game loss and go to the outback bowl instead of the rose because we lost to bowling green…it would be really disappointing
Pretty lofty expectations. 99% of fans would gladly take winning the west even if it meant losing to bowling green. Hell we could lose all the non conference games and win the west and I’d be happy.

Gophs should run the table from here.

At Kinnick will be toughest game, but we are overdue.

Look for o-line to step up its performance and provide better pass pro, more push in run game, bigger holes for backs. Too much talent, experience, smarts, heart and consistent quality coaching for it not to.

Look for Bucko and Ky to add explosiveness to run game. Their skill-sets (different than Potts or Mo) will force OC to use some new looks that may make offense look better.

Look for Fleck to find ways to use his WRs/TEs better in short and intermediate pass game.

Haven't had a healthy and ready CAB, Jackson, Dylan Wright, MBS in same game all year. We will Saturday.

D-line has looked really good at generating pressure...Nebraska, Maryland, Indiana have o-lines that give up pressure. Rush, Mafe, Otomewo, and some of younger DEs could wreak some havoc down stretch...middle of line should gel, excel more in second half; so much talent and experience there.

New linebacker Gibbens really finding his stride...SoriMarin looking much better with improved d-line play and Gibbens next to him...Oliver role evolving...Gordon, Willis, Burns finding roles.

After tough night when losing Howden vs OSU and their NFL WRs, secondary has looked pretty damn good. Nubin and T-Smith gaining experience confidence. Walley getting up to speed in a hurry.

Get the Jug back in Indy!

Sure, this is what I want to have happen.

I guess I don't know if it's realistic anymore, hence modulating my expectations/disappointment relative to the start of the year.

If we beat Neb, win all other games except Iowa and Wisc, as always, then still get a decent bowl and win it ... end up at 9-4. Tough for me to call that a disappointment. Losses to Ohio State, then the usual Iowa and Wisc. Plus the weird Bowling Green loss. A full notch below 2019, but still a pretty good year.

What's not realistic about beating Wisconsin? They aren't all that good this year.

What's not realistic about beating Wisconsin? They aren't all that good this year.
Too easy to say that, right now. Lot of year left, lot of time to make adjustments.

Iowa has had a very difficult time beating Wisconsin (2-7 out of the last 9) and they go to Madison. Let's see what happens in that game.

Gophs should run the table from here.

At Kinnick will be toughest game, but we are overdue.

Look for o-line to step up its performance and provide better pass pro, more push in run game, bigger holes for backs. Too much talent, experience, smarts, heart and consistent quality coaching for it not to.

Look for Bucko and Ky to add explosiveness to run game. Their skill-sets (different than Potts or Mo) will force OC to use some new looks that may make offense look better.

Look for Fleck to find ways to use his WRs/TEs better in short and intermediate pass game.

Haven't had a healthy and ready CAB, Jackson, Dylan Wright, MBS in same game all year. We will Saturday.

D-line has looked really good at generating pressure...Nebraska, Maryland, Indiana have o-lines that give up pressure. Rush, Mafe, Otomewo, and some of younger DEs could wreak some havoc down stretch...middle of line should gel, excel more in second half; so much talent and experience there.

New linebacker Gibbens really finding his stride...SoriMarin looking much better with improved d-line play and Gibbens next to him...Oliver role evolving...Gordon, Willis, Burns finding roles.

After tough night when losing Howden vs OSU and their NFL WRs, secondary has looked pretty damn good. Nubin and T-Smith gaining experience confidence. Walley getting up to speed in a hurry.

Get the Jug back in Indy!
The chili is nuclear hot

Too easy to say that, right now. Lot of year left, lot of time to make adjustments.

Iowa has had a very difficult time beating Wisconsin (2-7 out of the last 9) and they go to Madison. Let's see what happens in that game.

Obviously, Wisconsin has had some difficulties this year on the offensive end but they shut out Illinois (holding them to 94 total yards) so they didn't need much offense in that game; still, they got 24 points and 491 yards with 391 of those being on the ground. Watching the game for a fair number of minutes I would say that Illinois' offense looked really bad (especially their QBs) but Wisconsin's defense also looked very, very good.

I'm less confident than I was a week or two ago that we will beat Wisconsin and I could see them holding the score way down against Iowa as well. In a low scoring game, anything can happen (like BGSU).

Top Bottom