How many wins needed to not be disappointed in the season?

POL!!! - How many wins to not be disappointed?

• Total voters
Let me make sure I have it correct:

2016 - 8 + bowl win, losses to @PSU and @Neb, along with Iowa and @Wisc, and win in Holiday == (very? pretty? no adverb?) underwhelming/meh

2019 - 10 + bowl win, losses to @ Iowa and Wisc, and win in Outback == one of the best seasons in history

hypothetical 2021 - 8 + bowl win, losses to Ohio St, BG, along with @ Iowa and Wisc, and win in say the Vegas == pretty underwhelming/meh.

?

That is an extreme steep curve of "sentiment of season" vs results. Not sure if it's a fair enough, tbh.
You are leaving out the top 10 regular season win against Penn State (which is also a trophy, but its the bell, so I won't quibble with it not being as important as Axe or Floyd) in 2019 and the fact that we finished ranked number 10 in the country. I guess I didn't realize that I was saying anything controversial when I said that a (hypothetical) finish to this year that saw us winning no trophies, beating nobody better than Purdue, and sitting on a loss to an awful Bowling Green team would be somewhat disappointing.

You are leaving out the top 10 regular season win against Penn State (which is also a trophy, but its the bell, so I won't quibble with it not being as important as Axe or Floyd) in 2019 and the fact that we finished ranked number 10 in the country. I guess I didn't realize that I was saying anything controversial when I said that a (hypothetical) finish to this year that saw us winning no trophies, beating nobody better than Purdue, and sitting on a loss to an awful Bowling Green team would be somewhat disappointing.
All you're doing here is reinforcing my final point.

Your curve, as far as season sentiment vs results, is ridiculously steep.

Essentially "no ranked wins or ranked finish" = meh.

We're not Michigan, sorry to say.

All you're doing here is reinforcing my final point.

Your curve, as far as season sentiment vs results, is ridiculously steep.

Essentially "no ranked wins or ranked finish" = meh.

We're not Michigan, sorry to say.
Winning 8-9 regular season games, generally doing a good job handling inferior competition, but not getting over the hump in big games is a place we've been before. Under Kill and Claeys we did it 3 times in a 4 year stretch, and I thought general sentiment on here was that that was a nice step forward from where Brewster was, but isn't something we should be content with.

Winning 8-9 regular season games, generally doing a good job handling inferior competition, but not getting over the hump in big games is a place we've been before. Under Kill and Claeys we did it 3 times in a 4 year stretch, and I thought general sentiment on here was that that was a nice step forward from where Brewster was, but isn't something we should be content with.
"Not be disappointed in the season".

9-5 this year, are you disappointed? That word, that word's sentiment. You don't get to replace it with another word. (ie, "not content with")

Yes or no?

I see what you're saying. I think you're probably correct.

Here's the thing: Any and all rational Gopher fans were bitterly disappointed in the BG loss.

But it is a long season, and to continue to carry that disappointment for the entirety of 2021 — because of one loss back in Week 4 — seems self-defeating, to me. Why let it ruin our good time now? What purpose does that serve? I know I have thoroughly enjoyed the games since the BG loss, and I don't think I'm the only one.

There is no use crying over spilled milk.
Well said.

No matter how this year turns out there are going to be fans that moan about the Bowling Green game and let it ruin their take on the season.

Bottom line, it was a bad loss and there will always be the what if associated with it but it shouldn't taint this season the way we all know it will for some when it is all said and done.

It all comes down to perspective and how you choose to look at things. The Bowling Green game sucked but it was preceded and followed by impressive road wins against power 5 opponents (something that should never be taken for granted).

For me, I have never understood the concept of tying your opinion of a season to the record. Yes the W/L record is important, but there is so much more that goes into a season and the individual games than just the final score and teams record.

I mean shoot....if you told me that we would lose our top 4 RB on the pre-season depth chart and be sitting at 6-2, 4-1 after 8 weeks with a great shot at a strong finish to the season, I would take that in a heartbeat.

100%. Under Mason/Kill/Claeys where the program was at was solid but for the most part we were still also rans. Not a joke but not a contender.

Under Fleck the transition is finally happening where we are becoming a legit division contender. We tied for the Division title in 2019 and this year have a great opportunity to go out and win it. There is a new standard being set and that is that we should be contenders in the division now. The exact win total doesn't matter nearly as much as being a factor in the race with a legit shot of earning a trip to Indy most years (even if we come up short).

I think the problem with this thread/poll is there is no room for nuance. Too hard to tie wins/losses to success of a season(Well i guess its easy if your 0-12 or 12-0). I am certainly disappointed in the BG loss. I would have a level of disappointment if our best win was Purdue and we lost yet again to Iowa and Wisconsin(especially when they look beatable). However, I can still take joy and see successes in the BIG wins we are getting and a potential bowl win especially considering the adversity we are facing in the RB room, and being down key players for parts of the year. Just because i may be disappointed in the outcome of a game does not mean i let it ruin my season and view the whole season as a disappointment.

At this point I would say a successful end to the season involves beating who we should (ILL & IND) and taking 1 or more from (WISC & IOWA). It means we are raising expectations for our program.

Raise mine from 8 wins to winning the west.

At this point, yes. I'll still look to go to the Bowl game and won't lose sleep, but the West is there to be won.
So you're not being genuine to the actual meaning of the word disappointed. Which is the whole problem with this thread.

People are just randomly subbing in other words, as they choose.

So you're not being genuine to the actual meaning of the word disappointed. Which is the whole problem with this thread.

People are just randomly subbing in other words, as they choose.
You’re assuming that you have the same definition of the word “disappointed” as everyone else.

For me, I have never understood the concept of tying your opinion of a season to the record. Yes the W/L record is important, but there is so much more that goes into a season and the individual games than just the final score and teams record.
If not to win, why even play? Winning games is all that matters. This isn't youth football, where the goal is to teach the game and how to work as a team. Big time college football is a multi-billion dollar entertainment operation. The only goal is to win.

Again, win the B1G West and all is well, fun, and good.

Important games, but just 2 of 12 and don't make up the entire season.
If he beats Iowa and Wisconsin in the same year means at least 8 victories during the year plus they BEAT IOWA AND WISCONSIN and Floyd and the Ax are home where they belong.

You’re assuming that you have the same definition of the word “disappointed” as everyone else.
I'm using the actual definition.

dis·ap·point·ed
/ˌdisəˈpoin(t)əd/
adjective
sad or displeased because someone or something has failed to fulfill one's hopes or expectations.

Like I said, other people are whimsically substituting different words.

If we lost 3/4 I would be disappointed - likely even if we won bowl game. If we split - it’d be a little frustrating, but maybe a good bowl win (against an SEC team?) would help me still feel the season has us trending up a little, 3-1 finish would feel like a clear step, regardless of bowl game, 4-0 finish and it starts to feel like PJ has taken over the west (and like we will run the show most years going forward).

Last edited:

If we lost 3/4 I would be disappointed - likely even if we won bowl game. If we split - it’d be a little frustrating, but maybe a good bowl win (against an SEC team?) would help me still feel the season has us trending up a little, 3-1 finish would feel like a clear step, regardless of bowl game, 4-0 finish and it starts to feel like PJ has taken over the west (and like we will run the show most years going foreword).
All of the above said… we lose another RB or 2… that would just feel unlucky more than disappointing if it resulted in L’s down the stretch…

8 + a bowl win is correct.

Worst case at this point is losing to Iowa and Wisconsin, just like almost every other year. Should beat Ill and at Ind. Would then get a winnable bowl game.

With top three RB's out?? Come on. Be reasonable. We've done a damn fine job so far.
And the pre-season no. 3 RB in the portal. Williams at the beginning of the season was no. 4. And Williamson medically retired. And Jelen out for the season. To be 6-2 with that kind of almost unbelievable attrition in the RB corps, and to still be operating a run first offense? I think it is better even than a damn fine job. It’s flat out remarkable.

How can anybody not feel good about this season and this team when one considers the blows that the team has sustained and powered through? That we suffered the loss of most of our scholarship RBs (all of our upper class men RBs) and sit alone atop the B1G West is a testament to the depth that PJ has created through tireless recruiting; recruiting for upside and fit.

I'm using the actual definition.

dis·ap·point·ed
/ˌdisəˈpoin(t)əd/
adjective
sad or displeased because someone or something has failed to fulfill one's hopes or expectations.

Like I said, other people are whimsically substituting different words.
I'll be disappointed if they don't win the west.

So will you, I reckon.

I would be (relatively) disappointed if the Gophers lost all 3 of Iowa, Wisconsin, and the bowl game.

8-5 (6-3) ain't "disappointing" but the same old story against our rivals would be very frustrating.

Gophs should run the table from here.

At Kinnick will be toughest game, but we are overdue.

Look for o-line to step up its performance and provide better pass pro, more push in run game, bigger holes for backs. Too much talent, experience, smarts, heart and consistent quality coaching for it not to.

Look for Bucko and Ky to add explosiveness to run game. Their skill-sets (different than Potts or Mo) will force OC to use some new looks that may make offense look better.

Look for Fleck to find ways to use his WRs/TEs better in short and intermediate pass game.

Haven't had a healthy and ready CAB, Jackson, Dylan Wright, MBS in same game all year. We will Saturday.

D-line has looked really good at generating pressure...Nebraska, Maryland, Indiana have o-lines that give up pressure. Rush, Mafe, Otomewo, and some of younger DEs could wreak some havoc down stretch...middle of line should gel, excel more in second half; so much talent and experience there.

New linebacker Gibbens really finding his stride...SoriMarin looking much better with improved d-line play and Gibbens next to him...Oliver role evolving...Gordon, Willis, Burns finding roles.

After tough night when losing Howden vs OSU and their NFL WRs, secondary has looked pretty damn good. Nubin and T-Smith gaining experience confidence. Walley getting up to speed in a hurry.

Get the Jug back in Indy!
My take is the same as I posted on October 11...Still haven't seen fully healthy, fully prepared game with CAB, Jackson, MBS, Wright...since this post, news of Iowa playing at night this week and us playing at 11:00 helps...I think we may see some boost from some more true freshmen in final four games.

Raise mine from 8 wins to winning the west.

Yes, what a difference a few weeks makes. Originally I answered 7 regular season wins and a bowl win for an 8-5 record but that was just after struggling in a nail biter to beat Purdue and thinking that either Nebraska or Maryland could end up as a loss. I would still be pretty happy with a 9-3 regular season record and a bowl win but 10-2 and winning the West looks much more realistic than it did in early October

I originally said 7 wins would be sufficient to make me happy after the injuries to Mo and Pitts. So I’m good.
But now that we are here, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’ll be disappointed if we don’t go at least 3-1 in these final 4 regular season games with the way Iowa and Wisconsin’s offenses are performing.

I'll be disappointed if they don't win the west.

So will you, I reckon.
Nope.

Like I said a few posts ago, the correct answer to the poll, with the actual key word being disappointed and using the actual definition of that word, is 8 plus a bowl win.

Top Bottom