How did Coyle let this happen?

Not exactly "old" either. Third year playing and only played about half a season last year.

Bad takes and incorrect facts. Thank god we've only had to deal with two months of you.
So at this point he’s really played two full seasons (Marquette + half season (MN + UNC)…that brings him to a jr in playing time…thus an upperclassmen for a layman’s discussion

Last edited:

Definition

a student in the third or fourth year of high school or college

Bob...another headline saying it's the low point in our history. With not one mention of recruiting.

That doesn't sound like they realize it's a rebuild.
Recruiting is good but it's not elite. Dennis Evans is not going to be Karl Anthony Towns or Anthony Davis, he's going to take time. This years freshman can all become good players as can Betts and Christie but there's no white knight like Amir Coffey coming in that's a sure thing

So at this point his really played two full seasons (Marquette + half season (MN + UNC)…that brings him to a jr in playing time…thus an upperclassmen for a layman’s discussion
Definition

a student in the third or fourth year of high school or college

Check his classification. He's a sophomore. This is a fact. Shouldn't surprise me to see you bottom feeders having trouble with that.

Not that it really matters. The entire point is that the Gophers are one of the most inexperienced teams in the power five.

Recruiting is good but it's not elite. Dennis Evans is not going to be Karl Anthony Towns or Anthony Davis, he's going to take time. This years freshman can all become good players as can Betts and Christie but there's no white knight like Amir Coffey coming in that's a sure thing
I have really high hopes for Christie and Evans. Christie is burning it up this year and his bloodlines are very, very good. Evans will be a difference maker on defense. We need a really good, quick portal PG. Ben touts Christie as a PG but I doubt that is the answer for next year.

Check his classification. He's a sophomore. This is a fact. Shouldn't surprise me to see you bottom feeders having trouble with that.

Not that it really matters. The entire point is that the Gophers are one of the most inexperienced teams in the power five.
YOU used the term upperclassmen.
NOW you use a different term. I see your dishonesty on full display.

Garcia in year three at a college.

YOU used the term upperclassmen.
NOW you use a different term. I see your dishonesty on full display.

Garcia in year three at a college.

Sophomore isn't an upperclassmen. We've got a dummy here, gopherholers.

I have really high hopes for Christie and Evans. Christie is burning it up this year and his bloodlines are very, very good. Evans will be a difference maker on defense. We need a really good, quick portal PG. Ben touts Christie as a PG but I doubt that is the answer for next year.

Ben continues to think anyone can play guard, and it's the #1 issue I have with him. You would think a former guard himself, would know the importance of the position, but apparently not.

Ben continues to think anyone can play guard, and it's the #1 issue I have with him. You would think a former guard himself, would know the importance of the position, but apparently not.
I think he got fooled into it by Payton Willis who is a 2 guard who did a nice job at PG for him last year without much foot speed. Unfortunately Willis also got blown by, by other Big Ten guards. Ben himself was not exactly quick- he was more on the crafty side as well. You just can't win big without really good guard play.

Agree, hope Evans comes with 20-30 more pounds, like around 240. We certainly could use his shot blocking and rebounding. If BJ finds a very good experienced point guard, we should be rocking next year!

Last edited:

Ben Johnson is no different than Tim Brewster. Neither should have been hired for Head Coach of the Gophers. I supported Timmy (who at least gave us some really good mic moments...your chili hot yet...gotta give some to get some, etc...) Haven't heard any of those gems from Ben yet. Guess I'll have to support Benny Brewster for a while. Maybe he'll surprise everyone!

Because if CBJ ultimately gets fired in less than 8 years, I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that the U will get hammered with articles in the paper about how they gave Whitey 8 years, but poor, beleaguered CBJ only got xx years, and how that proves the U is racist.
🤦🏾‍♂️ nonsense

Yep, this is his biggest issue.

He confuses a decent shooting post player for a guard and it's a scary bad take.

This thread is something.

You say potato.

I say potato.

Rinse.

Cycle.

Repeat.

I'm really hoping Ben doesn't play Christie many minutes at PG next season. I think it would be shoe-horning him into a position where he "can" play but his best position will be at the wing.

I understand he is a sophomore. I view him as an asset. My point was just when people use the term “youth”, he shouldn’t really be counted, and that I tend to believe when they say “youth” I think many are speaking generically of our freshmen.

I understand he is a sophomore. I view him as an asset. My point was just when people use the term “youth”, he shouldn’t really be counted, and that I tend to believe when they say “youth” I think many are speaking generically of our freshmen.
With the Ben apology crowd, when the non-freshman are terrible, you are an absolute idiot for even factoring in anything about them - how they're used, regression, development, etc. However, if they do anything well, that's a feather in Ben's cap.

So he's both an asset and a non-asset to them. He's both one of Ben's recruits (because Ben literally recruited him here) and also not one of Ben's recruits.

Also, last year didn't happen. Ignore it. This is Ben's first season.

I don't count Garcia, Battle, Samuels or Cooper in the youth. I count Garcia, Samuels and Cooper in 1st year players at UMN. These 4 have game experience, which is helpful to the 4 true freshmen who are getting significant minutes.

Never tried to clump him in with the freshman. Simply been pointing out that we have a very young team overall. Nearly 40% of the total minutes go to true freshman. Samuels is the only player who is a senior.

Last edited:

Ben is doing a pretty good job so far. I like the recruits he was able to bring in this year and I like even better the recruits coming in next year. I’m confident with the outlook for next year Ben will be able to add needed pieces from the portal. I’m expecting a top half finish in the conference next year. When that happens you will all say, we’ll probably not all, that Coyle made a good choice.

Ben is doing a pretty good job so far. I like the recruits he was able to bring in this year and I like even better the recruits coming in next year. I’m confident with the outlook for next year Ben will be able to add needed pieces from the portal. I’m expecting a top half finish in the conference next year. When that happens you will all say, we’ll probably not all, that Coyle made a good choice.
If he does that- any honest person would say its a good hire. Boy, would I love to see it!

For the kind of play we've had to endure the last year and a half, the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow needs to be better than just "top half." Going to need to see a higher bar than 7th place in the conference before breaking ground on the statue.

Ben is doing a great job!

For the kind of play we've had to endure the last year and a half, the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow needs to be better than just "top half." Going to need to see a higher bar than 7th place in the conference before breaking ground on the statue.
And then 8th place a year later when UCLA & USC join. It’s not getting any easier

100% agree. That said, top half of the conference from where we are today is a GIANT step forward and I for one would be a ton more optimistic about Ben's chances to get this done. I am not real optimistic today...

Never tried to clump him in with the freshman. Simply been pointing out that we have a very young team overall. Nearly 40% of the total minutes go to true freshman. Samuels is the only player who is a senior.
Then I would say Garcia is not young.

How many years are Battle, Cooper & Garcia removed from their high school graduating classes (it’s 3 I believe). These guys are the main production on our team, we have to stop saying our team is young. Yes we have freshmen who have to play, but they produce almost no tangible results (exception being Payne in bursts) *taking a season long approach for that comment*. The production of our team is essentially all by people 3 years removed from high school, that’s not youth.

Then I would say Garcia is not young.

How many years are Battle, Cooper & Garcia removed from their high school graduating classes (it’s 3 I believe). These guys are the main production on our team, we have to stop saying our team is young. Yes we have freshmen who have to play, but they produce almost no tangible results (exception being Payne in bursts) *taking a season long approach for that comment*. The production of our team is essentially all by people 3 years removed from high school, that’s not youth.

Yeah....our most productive players have experience. It's like that with a lot of teams. True freshman outside of the very top recruits out of high school usually aren't major contributors. Yet true freshman for the Gophers are playing about 40% of the total minutes. An amount much higher than most power five teams.

Are you starting to understand how stupid your argument is....or are you sticking to the laughably bad take that this team isn't young? Maybe stick to simpler things like colors and shapes.

Top Bottom