How did Coyle let this happen?

Correct. If we were losing with a veteran team and incoming classes of ho hum players....I'd probably be worried right now. Not the case. Just seems like a lot of people here don't have the patience for college sports.
Right. Lots of gopher fans that have spent $$ and years and years don't have patience.
You may want to look closer.
How many years has Cooper played in college? Garcia? Battle? Samuels? This is not a young team.

Reactions: MRJ

BJ has recruited well. Payne, Evans, JOJ, Carrington, etc.

I don't really care about results this year, weren't going to win anything anyway.

I want to see the young kids, Payne JoJ, Carrington get more experience together for next season.

2023-2024 is when you should start seeing the results and the fruit of BJ's vision.

If they can't win then, let him go, but just wait, trust the process. This was a major rebuild, takes time.

Johnson's recruiting classes so far including next year are comparable to Pitino's and worse than Tubby's first few classes. They're in the middle of the pack in the B1G. This year's class was ranked 9th in the B1G, and next year's is currently ranked 8th by the 247 composite. There is a lot of talent and great coaching in the conference.

Worst roster in the conference + worst coaching in the conference + average recruiting classes = a perennial bottom feeder in the B1G. It's not difficult to see where this equation is leading us in the future.

Not even close to the low point

Not even close to the low point “Chicken Little”. I’m guessing you didn’t see Clem’s initial 2 years and he at least benefited because Dutcher had a few decent players signed before the infamous trip to Madison but Clem was looking for warm bodies during the summer so they would have enough players to practice. I believe Richard Coffey got his military discharge in August. We need to be patient for at least another year before we declare that the sky is falling…
how about PJ Flecks first two years as well...

Correct. If we were losing with a veteran team and incoming classes of ho hum players....I'd probably be worried right now. Not the case. Just seems like a lot of people here don't have the patience for college sports.
Lack of patience is an issue as is cherry picking the places where it comes together quickly while ignoring the ones where it doesn't as comparisons. The transfer portal has made people even more impatient as well.

That said, next year will be a make or break year for Johnson. If the team really struggles again he could be in trouble. Hopefully the freshman are getting enough valuable experience this year that they can hit the ground running next year and that combined with getting some injured guys back and the new guys coming in will be enough to get the team back to having more success.

Worst roster in the conference + worst coaching in the conference + average recruiting classes = a perennial bottom feeder in the B1G. It's not difficult to see where this equation is leading us in the future.

Freshman Joshua Ola-Joseph got 32 minutes and freshman Pharrel Payne got 20 minutes in the Nebraska game. Freshman Jaden Henley played 12 minutes. Freshman Braeden Carrington got 9 minutes in the Nebraska game. Gophers are playing for the future.

Freshman Carrington is Mr. Minnesota Basketball 2022 and will be a great player.

We are playing for the future. Does Johnson have a plan? You decide. I say Yes.

Johnson got the elite top-5 NBA pick someday Dennis Evans coming to the Gophers.

It's not difficult to see where this equation is leading us in the future.

"The Minnesota Golden Gophers have struck gold with their incoming big man recruit, Dennis Evans. Evans is the 27th ranked player in the country according to 24/7 sports, making him the Golden Gophers highest ranked recruit since Royce White who was ranked 26th in 2009. Evans has turned heads this summer as the nation’s premier rim protection prospect (a generational one) and for good reason! He is 7’0” with a 7’7” wingspan!" --NotZay Basketball Analysis

"Overall I think Dennis Evans is a top five pick in 2024 [NBA draft]. Even if he does not declare for that draft class he will be an elite drop big in college and the NBA level, and I really appreciate his family's dedication to his development and I think it bodes for him well long-term." --NotZay Basketball Analysis

"Dennis Evans verbally committed to the University of Minnesota on Monday, making him one of the highest-rated recruits to join the Gophers since Kris Humphries [2004 of Hopkins and became a 1st round pick in the NBA]...

'He is the highest rated incoming prospect from outside Minnesota since 1995.'" -KARE 11

As far as attendance being down, I want to point out that the Star Tribune article said "announced attendance averages 8,551, and their actual number of tickets scanned averages just 3,313."

That tells me that the core season ticket holders still own and control the best seats. They just aren't coming to the games.

The team stinks right now.

Think of those older people in their sweaters who control the best seats. They are not risking a 10% chance of a Covid exposure to see a bad team get beat, yet they continue to own those seats.

The core 8,500 has not been run off. Yes, that number is down but not "fan base run off."

And it is true that a lot of people just aren't coming to Minneapolis unless they have to. Go walk around downtown. It's a partial ghost town. Crime in Minneapolis is better this year than last, and yet it's also still higher than average. Last year car jackings were repeated in the news. Murders in the news. Buildings on fire during the riots. People know what's going on. All that and Covid ARE factors too. Things are not back to normal yet.

Anyway, the 3,313 numbers is the attendance number. The sales number is still over 8,500.

I can't believe there are people defending Ben Johnson or worse Mark Coyle (or whoever made this hire). Ben Johnson had no business even being granted an intereview for a power 5/6 job much less getting hired. It's beyond concerning that anyone in a position of power thought this was an acceptable way to handle the basketball program.

People talking about more time? MORE TIME? Otz and Shaka Smart are well on their way to their 2nd tournaments taking over programs that were in a similar (Marquette) or far worse (Iowa State-worst power 5 team in the country) state than Minnesota. Oh yeah, both have better recruiting classes coming in next year (by ranking) than Minnesota too. Otz lost the two best players off his first team (one to NIL) and is STILL running circles around Ben Johnson this year. How about Penn State? An absolutely terrible job that nobody wants and Shrewsberry has been better than Ben Johnson by a wide margin too. Dennis Gates and Jerome Tang took over programs THIS year that were worse last year than the Gophers were in Ben Johnson's first year. Both are currently way better than Minnesota and on pace for tournament berths. The latest bracketology has Utah and Craig Smith sneaking in the tournament as well. We're in F'ing LAST place in the conference and have lost 9 straight conference games going back to last year. Ben Johnson is 4-20!!!! in Big Ten conference play and 4-21 overall against Big Ten opposition.

The Michigan game was the final straw for me, and I haven't watched a minute since. This is from someone that was up at 2 AM watching feeds of Gopher foreign tours years ago and this product has become so bad that I won't watch it. By every measure the Gophers are terrible on both ends of the floor and play an excuricatingly slow, boring style of basketball. It's sad that the only message the University seems to get is when people don't show up to the games. It seems like losing itself, even absoutely egregious losing like this, doesn't spur any action.
I know the following sucks for basketball fans, but I think it is true:

- so long as the football team does well, they aren't going to fire Coyle, which means
- Coyle isn't going to feel any pressure to fire BJ

He'll get next year to see if his "better recruiting (of Minnesota, maybe or may not)" sell job can start turning it around.

I like the recruiting. I like the coach as a person. That said we are 4-20 since CBJ got here, in the Big Ten and the prospects are likely that we will be looking at something in the area of 6-34 after two years. That's incredibly bad. Optimistic posters are saying we might be 7-13 and that would be acceptable next year- which would run it to 13-47. Does that work for you? For me, if we get to 10-10 next year- then that's good. Less than that we have another long term problem.
Why would we even want to get more transfers and/or squeak out some wins now? What possible benefit is there in that...other than possibly extending a poor coach?

I want to either win big in 2 years or get a new coach. If our recruits turn out to be mediocre and if recruiting dries up...I want Coyle to say he tried a cheap coach with a rebuild...but now he needs Musselman for instant winning.

I was terribly frightened to attend the game at The Barn yesterday. But I conquered my fears and went. Had a blast!!! 🥳🍺🎉

Lots of diehard fans slowly walking away. Posts on these boards and attendance at games are quite apparent.
My apologies. Did not know you had identified yourself as one that was staying.

In what universe is Dennis Evans a top 5 NBA Draft Pick next year? nbadraft.net, nbadraftroom.com (has him as the #54th pick in the 2025 NBA draft, theresourcenexus.com has him #18 in the 2024 draft)…so a wide range on these but nowhere near a top 5 pick! Top 5 picks are potential franchise guys, guys with very limited offense are not franchise guys at the next level, Rudy Gobert is showing that (and that would be an excellent career for Dennis as Rudy has multiple DPOY awards to his name).
In the same universe where the 2009-2010 Gophers were odds on favorites to win the national championship. The delusional Gopher fan universe.

Lack of patience is an issue as is cherry picking the places where it comes together quickly while ignoring the ones where it doesn't as comparisons. The transfer portal has made people even more impatient as well.

That said, next year will be a make or break year for Johnson. If the team really struggles again he could be in trouble. Hopefully the freshman are getting enough valuable experience this year that they can hit the ground running next year and that combined with getting some injured guys back and the new guys coming in will be enough to get the team back to having more success.
Please, please define a lack of patience regarding MN BB fans. You are saying the fans are impatient. Let's here it.

This lack of patience refrain is coming from a lot of GH posters. Shouldn't be hard to define the specifics.

Why would we even want to get more transfers and/or squeak out some wins now? What possible benefit is there in that...other than possibly extending a poor coach?

I want to either win big in 2 years or get a new coach. If our recruits turn out to be mediocre and if recruiting dries up...I want Coyle to say he tried a cheap coach with a rebuild...but now he needs Musselman for instant winning.
The obvious. Experienced and the right fit transfers will make the youngsters and weak links better. The purpose is to get as many W's as possible now and also build for the future.

part of me thinks MNJay is Coyle…all kidding aside, there is nothing to see here. The on court play and shockingly low attendance are all part of the rebuild. Move along, nothing to see here.

Honestly, he was probably forced to hire Ben due to two factors:

1) George Floyd and riots timely pushed with media calls for diversity in UofMN coaching diversity. No longer does being the most qualified candidate matter, checking the box on diversity is step 1 (IMO - gophers should’ve hired the best candidate possible, especially after 8 years with a coach who had essentially a 1 year track record prior to being a head coach in the B10)

2) Ben must have had great connections that are specific to MN but not applicable to the other jobs he lost (Northern Illinois & Montana State). Coyle had to have been put in CBJ’s trans (think hypnosis) with this pitch. 50% of our 2022-23 class is from MN, but 0% of our 2023-24 class is Minnesotans… Question…if some of his classes don’t have Minnesotans, can he really claim he is repairing the damage of past coaches…or is it really more of the same?
Take a drink every time a MAGA guy mentions George Floyd, even if it clearly has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Right. Lots of gopher fans that have spent $$ and years and years don't have patience.
You may want to look closer.
How many years has Cooper played in college? Garcia? Battle? Samuels? This is not a young team.

Only Big Ten team with three freshman averaging at least 20 minutes. You can keep saying that this isn't a young team....but that simply makes you incorrect. And when you are blatantly false as you continue to be....your opinion loses any credibility and ceases to matter. But I shouldn't be surprised. You've been posting for two whole months? College sports don't always provide instant gratification. Maybe try something else.

Also approved by Wisconsin & Iowa fans who want Minnesota to continue making embarrassing coaching hires.

They're laughing at us.
To them, this must look like a clown show.

Take a drink every time a MAGA guy mentions George Floyd, even if it clearly has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
The truth is that diversity goals are a factor in almost every hire in both the public and private sectors. A MAGA could blame an endless number of actions on the evils of affirmative action. It's a bogeyman they can pull out from under the bed any time. If Coyle was told "black or bust," that' goes way beyond any proper affirmative action process.

Only Big Ten team with three freshman averaging at least 20 minutes. You can keep saying that this isn't a young team....but that simply makes you incorrect. And when you are blatantly false as you continue to be....your opinion loses any credibility and ceases to matter. But I shouldn't be surprised. You've been posting for two whole months? College sports don't always provide instant gratification. Maybe try something else.
4 upperclassman playing most minutes. Failure to acknowledge that fact isn't an honest evaluation.

A) You said four.
B) Garcia isn't an upperclassman

Consistently incorrect. Thanks for playing.
Ok. Three. All three average over 30 minutes a game. Three upperclassmen.

This is Garcia third year in college. Upper classmen.

A) You said four.
B) Garcia isn't an upperclassman

Consistently incorrect. Thanks for playing.
Garcia isn’t young though (if we are all using “young” as a generalization for freshmen…which I assume most are)

Garcia isn’t young though (if we are all using “young” as a generalization for freshmen…which I assume most are)

Not exactly "old" either. Third year playing and only played about half a season last year.

Only in an alternate universe is a third year college athlete NOT an upperclassman.

Bad takes and incorrect facts. Thank god we've only had to deal with two months of you.

In the same universe where the 2009-2010 Gophers were odds on favorites to win the national championship. The delusional Gopher fan universe.

The 2009-2010 Gophers didn't have enough high fives or butt slaps to contend for a title.

Not exactly "old" either. Third year playing and only played about half a season last year.

Bad takes and incorrect facts. Thank god we've only had to deal with two months of you.
Define old and upperclassmen. You will find your answer.

It appears your takes are never wrong, so good on you.

Define old and upperclassmen. You will find your answer.

It appears your takes are never wrong, so good on you.

I haven't strayed from facts here. You are using false information to back your bad claims. Do better.

I haven't strayed from facts here. You are using false information to back your bad claims. Do better.
Fact is Cooper plays 35 a game. Battle and Garcia each play over 30. All three are upperclassmen, which I see you wouldn't touch the definition.

Top Bottom