How did Coyle let this happen?

Who cares how many years Pitino got? How does that impact the performance of cbj teams?
Because if CBJ ultimately gets fired in less than 8 years, I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that the U will get hammered with articles in the paper about how they gave Whitey 8 years, but poor, beleaguered CBJ only got xx years, and how that proves the U is racist.

Has BJ already entered the MN b-ball coach death spiral ? It usually happens around Year 4 when the GopherHole trolls start complaining, the "hot seat" seat word appears in local press, recruiting necessarily suffers (because who wants to play for a soon-to-be canned coach?), the team flatlines, and the prophecy is fulfilled.

DId anyone expect anything other than a rough year given the roster turnover and youth? My own take is that there is a lot of young talent on this team and, while BJ clearly has room to grow as a coach, I'm bullish on their future. Patience will be rewarded, IMO.

Has BJ already entered the MN b-ball coach death spiral ? It usually happens around Year 4 when the GopherHole trolls start complaining, the "hot seat" seat word appears in local press, recruiting necessarily suffers (because who wants to play for a soon-to-be canned coach?), the team flatlines, and the prophecy is fulfilled.

DId anyone expect anything other than a rough year given the roster turnover and youth? My own take is that there is a lot of young talent on this team and, while BJ clearly has room to grow as a coach, I'm bullish on their future. Patience will be rewarded, IMO.
I expected 0 wins but many were expecting to make the big dance.

Because if CBJ ultimately gets fired in less than 8 years, I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that the U will get hammered with articles in the paper about how they gave Whitey 8 years, but poor, beleaguered CBJ only got xx years, and how that proves the U is racist.
Ridiculous and if so, who cares? He doesn't just get 8 years because the last guy did. Let's not be dumb about this. If next year doesn't show improvement, no one will care enough to even write such an article. They'll be too busy humping St. Thomas' leg.

Johnson will be safe for this year. But how in the world do you justify giving him a 4th if next year is also a disaster? He has managed to kill the entire fan base.

Where is your analysis? You are so full of it. There is nothing in your post showing knowledge of basketball or what is going on. Why did you fling this crap out? No analysis nothing to it.

Johnson has a crap hand to work with and was dealt a crap hand.

Come back and give us an analysis of the talent he has to work with. Do a talent analysis. You can't because you are full of it.

And here it is:

3 freshmen are getting significant minutes and learning, leading to a better future. That is the hand Johnson has to work with. He was dealt crap.

He has taken the bull by the horn and building for the future by playing these young talents. You post had no analysis at all.

He also gives minutes to an up-and-coming 4th freshmen plays who happens to be Mr. Minnesota Basketball, a star of the future.

That is the hand Johnson is trying to build after the crap hand he was dealt.

And he went out and recruited a top-5 NBA draft pick player in Dennis Evans. You are so full of crap!

Johnson inherited a mess and has a plan.

As far as attendance, we live in the Covid era where season ticket holders who paid for tickets are not coming in. Are you seriously saying Covid is not a factor or the perceived crime in Minneapolis?

Announced numbers are still good. It's the scanned numbers that are down. But people are not coming in to scan their tickets.

Come back with an analysis of the talent Johnson was dealt and what he is trying to do to build the future.

Ridiculous and if so, who cares? He doesn't just get 8 years because the last guy did. Let's not be dumb about this. If next year doesn't show improvement, no one will care enough to even write such an article. They'll be too busy humping St. Thomas' leg.
I think you underestimate the local media and the narrative some endlessly drive. If race most certainly had something to do with his hiring, you think it’s just going to magically vanish if he gets fired? You can bookmark it- there is a 100% certainty it will be a thing.

Oh boy.....time to hide the bottles with the yucky face stickers before Gopherholers start trying to end themselves.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u1.jpg
We were in a spot where you don't hire a guy without any experience.

I mean, come on.
Well, you and I agree. Meanwhile stocker and others can't grasp how anyone, even very longtime fans, are finished with trash gopher bb.

I can't believe there are people defending Ben Johnson or worse Mark Coyle (or whoever made this hire). Ben Johnson had no business even being granted an intereview for a power 5/6 job much less getting hired. It's beyond concerning that anyone in a position of power thought this was an acceptable way to handle the basketball program.

People talking about more time? MORE TIME? Otz and Shaka Smart are well on their way to their 2nd tournaments taking over programs that were in a similar (Marquette) or far worse (Iowa State-worst power 5 team in the country) state than Minnesota. Oh yeah, both have better recruiting classes coming in next year (by ranking) than Minnesota too. Otz lost the two best players off his first team (one to NIL) and is STILL running circles around Ben Johnson this year. How about Penn State? An absolutely terrible job that nobody wants and Shrewsberry has been better than Ben Johnson by a wide margin too. Dennis Gates and Jerome Tang took over programs THIS year that were worse last year than the Gophers were in Ben Johnson's first year. Both are currently way better than Minnesota and on pace for tournament berths. The latest bracketology has Utah and Craig Smith sneaking in the tournament as well. We're in F'ing LAST place in the conference and have lost 9 straight conference games going back to last year. Ben Johnson is 4-20!!!! in Big Ten conference play and 4-21 overall against Big Ten opposition.

The Michigan game was the final straw for me, and I haven't watched a minute since. This is from someone that was up at 2 AM watching feeds of Gopher foreign tours years ago and this product has become so bad that I won't watch it. By every measure the Gophers are terrible on both ends of the floor and play an excuricatingly slow, boring style of basketball. It's sad that the only message the University seems to get is when people don't show up to the games. It seems like losing itself, even absoutely egregious losing like this, doesn't spur any action.
Logical.

I think you underestimate the local media and the narrative some endlessly drive. If race most certainly had something to do with his hiring, you think it’s just going to magically vanish if he gets fired? You can bookmark it- there is a 100% certainty it will be a thing.
And the Mn administration is the major culprit in all of this garbage.

As a show of support today I bought a Minnesota-Maryland ticket.

And I don't care if they lose as long as they play hard. They are building for the future. I am excited to see progress.

Minnesota doesn't have consiatent recruiting like Duke. That is just how it is. Minnesota has never been a recruiting school except now and then.

And all the best tickets are still held by season ticket holders.

The base has not been run off.

Building for the future.

Well, you and I agree. Meanwhile stocker and others can't grasp how anyone, even very longtime fans, are finished with trash gopher bb.

You don't seem to grasp that nobody gives a shit about you or your manic depressive posting.

I"m surprised Stocker is so high on the young guys.

He didn't want to start AK at qb in football.

Up is down, and left is right.

Where is your analysis? You are so full of it. There is nothing in your post showing knowledge of basketball or what is going on. Why did you fling this crap out? No analysis nothing to it.

Come back and give us an analysis of the talent he has to work with. Do a talent analysis. You can't because you are full of it.

And here it is:

3 freshmen are getting significant minutes and learning, leading to a better future. That is the hand Johnson has to work with. He was dealt crap.

He has taken the bull by the horn and building for the future by playing these young talents. You post had no analysis at all.

He also gives minutes to an up-and-coming 4th freshmen plays who happens to be Mr. Minnesota Basketball, a star of the future.

And he went out and recruited a top-5 NBA draft pick player in Dennis Evans. You are so full of crap!

As far as attendance, we live in the Covid era where season ticket holders who paid for tickets are not coming in. Are you seriously saying Covid is not a factor or the perceived crime in Minneapolis?

Announced numbers are still good. It's the scanned numbers that are down. But people are not coming in to scan their tickets.

Come back with an analysis of the talent Johnson was dealt and what he is trying to do to build the future.
If we had a good team, attendance would be up, way up from what it is now. Covid is no longer a factor. The parking situation is terrible but it always has been.

Johnson did inherit a mess and the U has put him in an awful position. This is a tough job for an experienced coach. A brutal job for a rookie- as is Johnson. The bad year last year was predictable. With Garcia and Battle the fans expected better than this. If Johnson had a history of success, fans would be more patient because there would be his past record to lean on. That's why people are restless. We have been down this road before.

Ben is recruiting well and there is hope in that. He will need to have a terrific spring recruiting season in the portal and be able to keep the key players- especially the young guys that he has.

I can't believe there are people defending Ben Johnson or worse Mark Coyle (or whoever made this hire). Ben Johnson had no business even being granted an intereview for a power 5/6 job much less getting hired. It's beyond concerning that anyone in a position of power thought this was an acceptable way to handle the basketball program.

People talking about more time? MORE TIME? Otz and Shaka Smart are well on their way to their 2nd tournaments taking over programs that were in a similar (Marquette) or far worse (Iowa State-worst power 5 team in the country) state than Minnesota. Oh yeah, both have better recruiting classes coming in next year (by ranking) than Minnesota too. Otz lost the two best players off his first team (one to NIL) and is STILL running circles around Ben Johnson this year. How about Penn State? An absolutely terrible job that nobody wants and Shrewsberry has been better than Ben Johnson by a wide margin too. Dennis Gates and Jerome Tang took over programs THIS year that were worse last year than the Gophers were in Ben Johnson's first year. Both are currently way better than Minnesota and on pace for tournament berths. The latest bracketology has Utah and Craig Smith sneaking in the tournament as well. We're in F'ing LAST place in the conference and have lost 9 straight conference games going back to last year. Ben Johnson is 4-20!!!! in Big Ten conference play and 4-21 overall against Big Ten opposition.

The Michigan game was the final straw for me, and I haven't watched a minute since. This is from someone that was up at 2 AM watching feeds of Gopher foreign tours years ago and this product has become so bad that I won't watch it. By every measure the Gophers are terrible on both ends of the floor and play an excuricatingly slow, boring style of basketball. It's sad that the only message the University seems to get is when people don't show up to the games. It seems like losing itself, even absoutely egregious losing like this, doesn't spur any action.
Clearly the Michigan game wasn't the final straw because you're still here b!tching.

Coyle chose Whalen and Johnson, both unproven, just as megatongue chose an unproven Pitino.

It truly is time for you to jump off the bandwagon. Come back in a couple years. By then we're either competing well or you got your wish for another coach. Until then, you're just being a Karen.

Yes, if it's perceived he's not given a fair shot, like firing him today, that would happen. The idea that they will write it if he doesn't get 8 years no matter how bad it is, is way, way over the top. Don't be ridiculous. And honestly, if you're letting a snarky Jim Souhan column effect your coaching decisions you should resign in shame.

Yes, Pitino deserved to be let go but how in the world did he land on Ben Johnson? What made his interview so impressive that this is who Coyle landed on?

This is arguably the lowest point in Gophers Men's basketball history. I don't see them winning a single conference game this year. The attendance is at an all time low.

Johnson will be safe for this year. But how in the world do you justify giving him a 4th if next year is also a disaster? He has managed to kill the entire fan base. It's gone and won't come back until there is SIGNIFICANT improvement. Do you see that happening under him? I don't.
The ONLY thing that matters is getting our freshmen experience. Winning doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

But by the last 5 games...yes, I'd like to see better play from them with maybe a couple wins. And I'd like to see their minutes increase soon.

This is NOWHERE CLOSE to a low point in Gopher BB history. We have excellent recruiting.

Bob...another headline saying it's the low point in our history. With not one mention of recruiting.

That doesn't sound like they realize it's a rebuild.

And here it is:

In what universe is Dennis Evans a top 5 NBA Draft Pick next year? nbadraft.net, nbadraftroom.com (has him as the #54th pick in the 2025 NBA draft, theresourcenexus.com has him #18 in the 2024 draft)…so a wide range on these but nowhere near a top 5 pick! Top 5 picks are potential franchise guys, guys with very limited offense are not franchise guys at the next level, Rudy Gobert is showing that (and that would be an excellent career for Dennis as Rudy has multiple DPOY awards to his name).

The ONLY thing that matters is getting our freshmen experience. Winning doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

But by the last 5 games...yes, I'd like to see better play from them with maybe a couple wins. And I'd like to see their minutes increase soon.

This is NOWHERE CLOSE to a low point in Gopher BB history. We have excellent recruiting.
I like the recruiting. I like the coach as a person. That said we are 4-20 since CBJ got here, in the Big Ten and the prospects are likely that we will be looking at something in the area of 6-34 after two years. That's incredibly bad. Optimistic posters are saying we might be 7-13 and that would be acceptable next year- which would run it to 13-47. Does that work for you? For me, if we get to 10-10 next year- then that's good. Less than that we have another long term problem.

BJ has recruited well. Payne, Evans, JOJ, Carrington, etc.

I don't really care about results this year, weren't going to win anything anyway.

I want to see the young kids, Payne JoJ, Carrington get more experience together for next season.

2023-2024 is when you should start seeing the results and the fruit of BJ's vision.

If they can't win then, let him go, but just wait, trust the process. This was a major rebuild, takes time.

Season ticket holders are still owning and controlling the best tickets. Announced ticket *sales* are good.

They haven't been coming to games. Announced ticket *attendance* in the doors at games is down. That's different.

It's unclear why scanned ticket attendance is down. BUT THE SEASON TICKET HOLDERS continue to own and control the best tickets.

Gophers stink this year.

Do they have a plan forward? YES!

As for me, I don't care if they lose during a rebuild as long as they have a good plan forward. MINNESOTA HAS NEVER BEEN A RECRUTING TEAM. A team wins or loses with prospects.

Now people can debate if Johnson has a plan out of this mess. Do they have a way forward?

Freshman Joshua Ola-Joseph got 32 minutes and freshman Pharrel Payne got 20 minutes in the Nebraska game. Freshman Jaden Henley played 12 minutes. Freshman Braden Carrington got 9 minutes in the Nebraska game. Carrington is Mr. Minnesota basketball and will be a great player.

This team is young, and Johnson is giving them minutes to prepare them as best as possible for a good future. We are playing for the future. Does Johnson have a plan? You decide. I say Yes.

Johnson got the elite top-5 NBA pick someday Dennis Evans coming to the Gophers.

And here it is:

LOL.

Try reading this as Donald Trump ramblng on at a rally. That way it makes sense.

• Love
Reactions: MRJ

Season ticket holders are still owning and controlling the best tickets. Announced ticket *sales* are good.

They haven't been coming to games. Announced ticket *attendance* in the doors at games is down. That's different.

It's unclear why scanned ticket attendance is down. BUT THE SEASON TICKET HOLDERS continue to own and control the best tickets.

Gophers stink this year.

Do they have a plan forward? YES!

As for me, I don't care if they lose during a rebuild as long as they have a good plan forward. MINNESOTA HAS NEVER BEEN A RECRUTING TEAM. A team wins or loses with prospects.

Now people can debate if Johnson has a plan out of this mess. Do they have a way forward?

Freshman Joshua Ola-Joseph got 32 minutes and freshman Pharrel Payne got 20 minutes in the Nebraska game. Freshman Jaden Henley played 12 minutes. Freshman Braden Carrington got 9 minutes in the Nebraska game. Carrington is Mr. Minnesota basketball and will be a great player.

This team is young, and Johnson is giving them minutes to prepare them as best as possible for a good future. We are playing for the future. Does Johnson have a plan? You decide. I say Yes.

Johnson got the elite top-5 NBA pick someday Dennis Evans coming to the Gophers.

This message has been paid for and approved by Ben Johnson

Aren’t emojis fun?

Either way it’ll be considered his fault if Ben fails, but there is no way someone whose job depended on it would hire a guy who couldn’t get a job in the MAC or Big Sky conference.

I know, this will probably send you into a frenzy where you send a string of emojis at me, but it’s true.
I doubt it. We know the issues this team has and we be major nit pick was in state recruiting. That was a directive to Coyle to fix and he felt BJ was the obvious choice to do it.

Bob...another headline saying it's the low point in our history. With not one mention of recruiting.

That doesn't sound like they realize it's a rebuild.
Everyone acknowledges it’s a rebuild, even as far as rebuilds go, this is pretty low.

No one is even going to games.
We are currently sitting at 4-20 in the Big Ten.

The low points in ever program/organizations history is almost always a rebuild. Some rebuilds go worse than others. Next year, we’ll know if this one was effective.

BJ has recruited well. Payne, Evans, JOJ, Carrington, etc.

I don't really care about results this year, weren't going to win anything anyway.

I want to see the young kids, Payne JoJ, Carrington get more experience together for next season.

2023-2024 is when you should start seeing the results and the fruit of BJ's vision.

If they can't win then, let him go, but just wait, trust the process. This was a major rebuild, takes time.

Correct. If we were losing with a veteran team and incoming classes of ho hum players....I'd probably be worried right now. Not the case. Just seems like a lot of people here don't have the patience for college sports.

Top Bottom