How bad could Buggs be? ... 2/25/14 Update: Not bad at all!

I'm all for playing Charles. He can't possibly give us any less than Oto or Joey.

I don't understand all the Oto and King bashing that seems to continue on this board. Did you expect a dramatically different performance from either of them? In my mind, they have probably exceeded my expectations for this year. That being said, nobody will disagree that this is our biggest weakness on the team.

If Buggs had more to offer, he'd be playing.

Tubby did make it to the dance with these guys along with unmotivated Rod and semi-healthy Trevor.

I just can't get past this statement. Rodney was unmotivated? His last chance as a senior to prove that he should be drafted? And if we're calling Trevor only semi-healthy last year, does that make Dre Hollins basically crippled this year?

I just can't get past this statement. Rodney was unmotivated? His last chance as a senior to prove that he should be drafted? And if we're calling Trevor only semi-healthy last year, does that make Dre Hollins basically crippled this year?

Mbakwe was a beast and Rodney was better than what we currently have at PF. It's ironic how the truth isn't of any importance to "the-real-truth." He's perfectly content with making things up and using lies to support his idol. Not afraid to contradict himself either as he does so in probably 80% of his posts. Tubby is perfect and Pitino is the devil.

Haha, I wish King were that tall. Not even close.

According to the roster they weigh more and Bugg is probably 1-2" taller so yeah they are more built/strong/whatever.

ETA, According to GopherSports: Buggs - 6'9 210. King - 6'9 225. Oto - 6'8 220.

No way King is as tall as Buggs though.

Buggs literally can't play on either end of the floor right now.

On Defense the other team will exploit his lack of understanding of team defense for score after score after score. He literally doesn't know where to be, who he is guarding, how/when to call out a switch, proper spacing or any of the fine points that win games. In addition to that he's not a physical player so bigs will come right at him even if it was a simple on on one playground game (which it's not).

On Offense he is lost as well. He doesn't have the strength or attitude to play under the basket. He doesn't have any legit post moves either. Remember he's now played under the basket for one season, so he's still learning. His forte is shooting jumpers & 3's. We can't send a guy who's 6'9" out to shoot 3's because he can't guard anyone coming back the other way.

Buggs has a lot of talent but when we were told he was very raw coming in, well....he is very raw.

I'd rather have a guy like Oto or King score 4 points and give up 10, than a guy who scores 6 points and gives up 32. That's what you'd get with Buggs.

Buggs literally can't play on either end of the floor right now.

On Defense the other team will exploit his lack of understanding of team defense for score after score after score. He literally doesn't know where to be, who he is guarding, how/when to call out a switch, proper spacing or any of the fine points that win games. In addition to that he's not a physical player so bigs will come right at him even if it was a simple on on one playground game (which it's not).

On Offense he is lost as well. He doesn't have the strength or attitude to play under the basket. He doesn't have any legit post moves either. Remember he's now played under the basket for one season, so he's still learning. His forte is shooting jumpers & 3's. We can't send a guy who's 6'9" out to shoot 3's because he can't guard anyone coming back the other way.

Buggs has a lot of talent but when we were told he was very raw coming in, well....he is very raw.

I'd rather have a guy like Oto or King score 4 points and give up 10, than a guy who scores 6 points and gives up 32. That's what you'd get with Buggs.

That's quite the scouting report based on a hanful of minutes all season. Which game did the other team score on him on every possesion because he didn't understand team defense?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

That's quite the scouting report based on a hanful of minutes all season. Which game did the other team score on him on every possesion because he didn't understand team defense?

Don't question his authority.

Those who can't see how lost Buggs has been in limited time this year won't really get it. They're watching the ball, not the game.

Kid's got a lot of talent, hopefully he can put it together along with some bulk as an upperclassmen.

Those who can't see how lost Buggs has been in limited time this year won't really get it. They're watching the ball, not the game.

Kid's got a lot of talent, hopefully he can put it together along with some bulk as an upperclassmen.

Convenient way of claiming he's lost without having to cite specofic examples.

Convenient way of claiming he's lost without having to cite specofic examples. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Lol. You compile his 10 minutes of court time and I'll break it down for you.

Lol. You compile his 10 minutes of court time and I'll break it down for you kiddo.

If I could I would, I actually went to ESPN3/WatchESPN to see if the FSU game was still on there, but it isn't. Here are his game logs, he's played a total of 21 minutes this year. I find it interesting that some people are utterly convinced Buggs is lost every time he gets playing time even though the last two times he got some playing time we happened to go on a run (FSU and Indiana). Not saying he had anything to do with those runs, just think it's funny. It's also funny that you guys can't cite any specific instance of him messing up, you'd think if he was so lost that at least one play or moment of ineptness would have stuck in your memory. Add in the fact that Pitino cites his lack of physicality (not his inability to pick up the system) as the reason he doesn't play and I think the whole notion that he's lost is pretty ridiculous.

If I could I would, I actually went to ESPN3/WatchESPN to see if the FSU game was still on there, but it isn't. Here are his game logs, he's played a total of 21 minutes this year. I find it interesting that some people are utterly convinced Buggs is lost every time he gets playing time even though the last two times he got some playing time we happened to go on a run (FSU and Indiana). Not saying he had anything to do with those runs, just think it's funny. It's also funny that you guys can't cite any specific instance of him messing up, you'd think if he was so lost that at least one play or moment of ineptness would have stuck in your memory. Add in the fact that Pitino cites his lack of physicality (not his inability to pick up the system) as the reason he doesn't play and I think the whole notion that he's lost is pretty ridiculous.

Completely agree, these assessments on Buggs being completely lost in 21 minutes of game action are ridiculous. I would also love to hear some examples from people that are claiming this, because I can't recall a single time off the top of my head where I was thinking he was a major liability out there.

Here's what I'll cite. Oto plays & Buggs rides the pine.

What do you think is more likely?

A) Tubby and his staff, now Pitino and his staff, plus Ryan James from GopherIlllustrated basketball writer (also a High School/AAU coach & former Team Mgr for Clem and the Final 4 team) are all wrong & have misjudged Buggs as an upgrade over Oto?

Or...

B) Oto does little things that coaches love, which Buggs doesn't & you don't recognize those things?

Here's what I'll cite. Oto plays & Buggs rides the pine.

What do you think is more likely?

A) Tubby and his staff, now Pitino and his staff, plus Ryan James from GopherIlllustrated basketball writer (also a High School/AAU coach & former Team Mgr for Clem and the Final 4 team) are all wrong & have misjudged Buggs as an upgrade over Oto?

Or...

B) Oto does little things that coaches love, which Buggs doesn't & you don't recognize those things?

Buggs has three times the potential that Oto has, but right now Oto is a better player. In time, depending on what Buggs does to work on his game we may see a really nice player.

Add in the fact that Pitino cites his lack of physicality (not his inability to pick up the system) as the reason he doesn't play and I think the whole notion that he's lost is pretty ridiculous.

It's not even subtle things like missing a screen or a slow rotation, watch and you'll see the other players literally pointing at him where to go. He was the same way at Hargrave when I watched him for extended minutes off the bench. He made some really odd decisions. He kind of bounces around the court with a ton of energy.

“He’ll do things where you go, ‘Oh, my goodness. That kid’s got pro potential,’” Pitino said. “And then he’ll do other things where you just say, ‘What is he doing?’ He’ll drive you insane. But I think when he figures it out, he’s got the most upside of anyone. When I say that, what you see right now is not what you’re going to get with Charles Buggs. Hopefully he will continue to grow and continue to improve because when he puts on weight and when he figures out how to play for me, he’s going to be a very good player down the road. It’s going to take time, though.”

GopherHole: Coach Pitino has called your game "raw" - what do you think that means?
Charles Buggs: I think that has to do with my potential, it's all about fulfilling my potential and the staff is helping me with that.

"It's just tough since he's missed a bunch of practices," Pitino said. "So it's going to take a little time for him to understand what we're doing more than anything."

I think he'll be a nice player as an upperclassman because he has all the tools, he just doesn't get it and his 2 minutes of playing time at our weakest position in conference play is all the proof you should need to know that he's not ready. 10 pounds is not the only reason he isn't on the court over the other 2.

Buggs definitely has a couple inches on Oto and Joey but he is a twig right now definitely needs to get bigger. As far as his game goes right now Oto and Joey are definitely better on offense and probably defensively, idk. Hopefully in a year or too he'll be a tall, athletic pf that can run well, with a bit of range on his shot. Could maybe turn out good if he puts in the work. I'm all for developing good players!

Well this is why we hired Pitino, right? To develop players. So taking a raw Buggs, and making him into a serviceable player by his junior/senior year... will determine how good Pitino and his staff is. Give it time. I would take potential any day. A player like Mav on the other hand... a good guy, but never had potential, and he lived up to the no potential. And I kind of think a lot of the reasoning behind Buggs not playing more is that his body just isn't ready. If by next season he hasn't gained 20 lbs, then he just doesn't want it enough.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pitino on FR Charles Buggs: "He's the only guy on our team that does things that you're like, 'Whoa!' Sometimes good. Sometimes really bad."</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/436127593956274177">February 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

The hate King and Oto get on this board is absolutely ridiculous.

I sure hope you all have your resumes ready to apply for Pitino's job when he undoubtedly gets fired after this year for being so terrible. Not sure why the U didn't just hire a Gopherhole staff to coach the team. Pitino is a moron.

I sure hope you all have your resumes ready to apply for Pitino's job when he undoubtedly gets fired after this year for being so terrible. Not sure why the U didn't just hire a Gopherhole staff to coach the team. Pitino is a moron.

We're not qualified!

LOL Where did this come from? Who has ripped Pitino in this thread?

+1

+1. Kind of random. No one is ripping Pitino. People are frustrated with our PF play and for good reason, but no one says they are smarter than Pitino and almost all fans are very happy with him.

Add in the fact that Pitino cites his lack of physicality (not his inability to pick up the system) as the reason he doesn't play and I think the whole notion that he's lost is pretty ridiculous.

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 1px 3px; position: static; visibility: visible;" title="Embedded Tweet" width="500" height="210"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Does that sound like he just needs to pack on some mass? <iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

These little outburst are the staple of Gopherhole.

I don't think it's hate... and to use that word in because people are disappointed about the depth at our weakest position is ridiculous.

"Haters gonna hate" -Dumbass #1

I don't know about "ripping" Pitino but someone suggested earlier in this thread that the coaching staff is human and makes mistakes as the reason why Oto & King play ahead of Buggs. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom