Holmgren has not been contacted yet...

What if he has the 6th ranked class and by the time they are upperclassmen he has a top 3 conference finish. What if he is exceptional at evaluation and individual plus team development ?
What if he has a recruiting class every body laughs at but he wins the conference?
What if Holmgren goes to Gonzaga but decides to transfer home to Minnesota and averages 44 points a game for the Gophers?
What if distant relative Magic Johnson helps him recruit?
What if, what if, what if.....

Wasn't at the game last night. . . . . . My son play high school ball in the South Suburban Conference. Every game I personally went to allowed 2 fans per player with Covid. Ben most likely can't attend the game. Hello.
So they test the players to see who has Covid and then they let 2x's that number of fans in? Weird policy, but I guess anything is possible these days.

Make the call, yes. However, it is probably to tell Chet that he would love to have him, but it's probably not in his best interest to be a Gopher. Probably the same discussion Whalen had with Bueckers. Chet is G League or Gonzaga
Why would a coach ever tell a player they would be better off at another school?

Wow...there are a lot of assumptions being made because the father of a poster talked to the father of a recruit.....I guess maybe Ben should provide a minute by minute log of how he is spending his time to make sure all the fans are satisfied that he isn't just sitting in his office petrified with fear.

People need to just take a step back and give Johnson a chance to do the job he was just hired to do. Time will tell if this was a good hire or a bad one.
This

It's a reach to assume that because as of last night they hadn't connected, that means the coach hasn't "reached out" yet.

In recruiting as in business, one can call, text, email, and still not make a connection. Coach Johnson may or may not have Chet's personal cell number, but I kind of doubt that he walked off the plane with it. And Richard Pitino probably didn't leave his rolodex on his office desk when he left. Reaching out might mean calling an mutual acquaintance or coach and asking them to pass on a message.

Give the man a fair chance to connect before judging him.
Yes, reaching is not clearly defined. Ben had the phone numbers of other top MN recruits while he was on the plane. It is ridiculous to assume he didn't have Chet's...

Yes, reaching is not clearly defined. Ben had the phone numbers of other top MN recruits while he was on the plane. It is ridiculous to assume he didn't have Chet's...
Agree. Laughable to think that he does not have his number. Does not mean he has to call him right away. He likely knows a great deal about Chet and has a ton of 18 hour days ahead of him.

Doesn’t this say he contacted Holmgren? I posted this on the top of page 2 of this thread. Am I missing something?
You two sure look alike.

from all accounts, Johnson has good relationships with a lot of HS and AAU coaches. He will have to lean on that while he establishes his own relationships with the HS kids in the '22 and '23 classes.

If a kid is on the fence, that kid might very well ask his AAU coach for advice. if that coach likes Johnson, he might try to convince the kid to give MN a shot. Under Pitino, the AAU coach was more likely to tell kids to stay away from MN.

As I said on another thread, the real test for Johnson is not whether he can land the #1 kid in MN. The test is whether he can land the #4, #5, #6 kid - the exact level of kid that Pitino has not been able to land in recent years. You can build a team with a core of MN players, and then bring in a few targeted recruits/transfers from other states to round out the roster.
BS. You cannot build a B1G conference championship from just getting the 4, 5 and 6th ranked MN kids in each class. Minnesota only produced 7 players ranked in the top 100 ranked player in the 5 years (2015-2019). We are ranked 23rd in the country as producing the most college basketball talent.

https://watchstadium.com/ranking-ev...-basketball-prospects-it-produces-06-24-2019/

I’ll have some fun with this, maybe he doesn’t want Chet (quickly ducks as stuff is hurled across the room). Give the guy a break, his Rolodex is probably on overdrive.

I get snarky but I honestly like the optimism of many posters here. ESP cuz this past February was dark and sad. Not just me but anyone you ask seem to concur that Feb was depressing.

You're right, it's generally not sensible to assume many things. That's why I advise against it.

I get snarky but I honestly like the optimism of many posters here. ESP cuz this past February was dark and sad. Not just me but anyone you ask seem to concur that Feb was depressing.
I can't handle positive spaulding. In the shifting gopher sea I had one constant to hang on to. USAF also very positive about hire. Builtbadger not citing conference record... I still have barnburner as the voice of reason 😅

I’ll believe Marcus Fuller. When did Barnyard’s dad talk to Chet’s dad? Fuller has no reason to lie and is a stand up reporter. Maybe he was fed incorrect information? I’m thinking he contacted Chet after Barnyard’s dad talked to AJ Barker’s mom.

What to the very opinioned fathers of Suggs and Homgren do to make a living? Neither one got wealthy playing pro ball, so how did they pay the elite MHA tuition? My parents made about $100K combined back in the late 80s and they sure the hell were not sending me there. St. Agnes or St. Bernards, maybe, not not MHA.

What do these two do for a living now? Are they getting paid by shoe companies? This is a sincere question.

As much a cesspool as CBB recruiting is, this is something worth asking.

What to the very opinioned fathers of Suggs and Homgren do to make a living? Neither one got wealthy playing pro ball, so how did they pay the elite MHA tuition? My parents made about $100K combined back in the late 80s and they sure the hell were not sending me there. St. Agnes or St. Bernards, maybe, not not MHA.

What do these two do for a living now? Are they getting paid by shoe companies? This is a sincere question.

Athletes get "scholarships" to play for private high schools

They can be be given scholarships . MHA is cheap compared to Breck or Blake.

I’ll believe Marcus Fuller. When did Barnyard’s dad talk to Chet’s dad? Fuller has no reason to lie and is a stand up reporter. Maybe he was fed incorrect information? I’m thinking he contacted Chet after Barnyard’s dad talked to AJ Barker’s mom.
Tuesday is when they talked. My dad sat next to his dad at their game Tuesday night and also talked to him on the phone before that on Tuesday. Again I’ve said take it or leave it many times. I really don’t care if people on an Internet forum believe me or not. I don’t know what I would have to gain making this up.

I just like to share anything that I hear with all of you.

Also, like some have suggested, reaching out is not defined. I’m sure Ben has reached out in some form or another at this point.

My son's friend is a good friend of a guy who is friends with Homgren. He says that Johnson did call him on Monday night. So there!

Tuesday is when they talked. My dad sat next to his dad at their game Tuesday night and also talked to him on the phone before that on Tuesday. Again I’ve said take it or leave it many times. I really don’t care if people on an Internet forum believe me or not. I don’t know what I would have to gain making this up.

I just like to share anything that I hear with all of you.

Also, like some have suggested, reaching out is not defined. I’m sure Ben has reached out in some form or another at this point.
Bullshit.

Same reason a coach pushes for a player to go to the draft rather than stay in college
I cannot imagine there is a P6 coach who would tell a player they were better off at another P6 school unless they didn't see them playing and being successful. If that player will contribute, and in Holmgren's case likely be the best player, no coach is going to tell them to go to another school. Yes, after a year or two they may say going pro makes sense, but that is totally different.

Top Bottom