Holmgren has not been contacted yet...

Ben should reach out if for no other reason than to eliminate the “Minnesota didn’t even reach out” issue. Zero people will hold it against Ben if he doesn’t land Chet, but we do not want Chet and AAU coaches holding it against Minnesota (regardless of whether it is merited) when they inevitably talk about college recruitment with other student-athletes that Minnesota is in the mix for.

I really don't understand thier need for BJ to call them only to turn him down. Just an ego trip nobody needs to give them.
It is out of common curtesy to the players in the state that you would contact them and it helps with the PR. Also, would never accomplish anything if you were afraid of trying.

Something to keep in mind, being a parent of an athlete is fun. And if your athlete is a star, there's a certain amount of attention and perceived power that provides you.

But after your son picks a school, that power for that parent goes down drastically. Suddenly, not everyone in the basketball community is as concerned about where your kid goes, or what you as a parent thinks about how wrong the community basketball system is, What coaches should be hired where, or how bad the University nearby is.

It's probably a humbling experience, and for some parents, letting go of that power is difficult and it drops from your hands like grains of sand.

It is out of common curtesy to the players in the state that you would contact them and it helps with the PR. Also, would never accomplish anything if you were afraid of trying.
It's not realistic and does nothing for other players in the state. Holmgren doesn't report back to other players. Simply stroking their ego.

Make the call, yes. However, it is probably to tell Chet that he would love to have him, but it's probably not in his best interest to be a Gopher. Probably the same discussion Whalen had with Bueckers. Chet is G League or Gonzaga
You will never recruit anyone with that attitude. Plenty of reasons for people to play for Johnson here at Minny including reasons for #1 recruits - especially if that recruit grew up here.

Sure it is a harder path in some respects but men are not made by picking the easiest path.

Make the call, yes. However, it is probably to tell Chet that he would love to have him, but it's probably not in his best interest to be a Gopher. Probably the same discussion Whalen had with Bueckers. Chet is G League or Gonzaga
Why isn't it in his best interest?

It's not realistic and does nothing for other players in the state. Holmgren doesn't report back to other players. Simply stroking their ego.
Doesn't change the outcome, you're correct. It's a part of 'playing the game' and keeping the people you need on your side.

One would think you wouldn't need to do that... then again you and I don't operate in big time basketball where ego's are all the rage.

It's a reach to assume that because as of last night they hadn't connected, that means the coach hasn't "reached out" yet.

In recruiting as in business, one can call, text, email, and still not make a connection. Coach Johnson may or may not have Chet's personal cell number, but I kind of doubt that he walked off the plane with it. And Richard Pitino probably didn't leave his rolodex on his office desk when he left. Reaching out might mean calling an mutual acquaintance or coach and asking them to pass on a message.

Give the man a fair chance to connect before judging him.

This entire thread is based on pure bullshit from one poster with an ax to grind.

Of COURSE Johnson contacted Holmgren.

Don't be so naive.
I have no axe to grind with anyone. Also, I said take it or leave. Just leave it and move on.

I have said numerous times that I like Ben and want him to succeed. I just found it interesting that his dad said he hadn’t been contacted yet.

Those exact words were spoken about Richard and Tyus Jones’ class. What class is it reasonable to judge him on? Sincere question. ‘23?
I agree 100%.

If he is truly a good recruiter and respected in MN like has been said he will bring a bigtime guy with his first or 2nd class. Or at the very least have a top half class in the Big Ten.

Look at Tubby's first class. Filled with studs from the get go. Hell it was the #3 ranked class in the Big Tent that year.

This is all BS talk and if he doesn't bring in good classes with his first 2, then he won't make it and that's a fact.

What if he has the 6th ranked class and by the time they are upperclassmen he has a top 3 conference finish. What if he is exceptional at evaluation and individual plus team development ?

What if he has the 6th ranked class and by the time they are upperclassmen he has a top 3 conference finish. What if he is exceptional at evaluation and individual plus team development ?
That's top half...

Also, of course winning does it.

Why isn't it in his best interest?
If he is a one and done there is no reason. If he wants to play 2 years then maybe. I will take him and as a coach you make the call, but this late in the process is tough when 2022 and the tranfer portal is really important.

If he is a one and done there is no reason. If he wants to play 2 years then maybe. I will take him and as a coach you make the call, but this late in the process is tough when 2022 and the tranfer portal is really important.
If he's a one and done that would put him in the same field as a grad transfer, and we'll probably need a few of those.

If he's a one and done that would put him in the same field as a grad transfer, and we'll probably need a few of those.
He needs one year to cement him as a top NBA pick. That will be the #1 deciding factor. If he gets a nice 6 figure salary in the G-League with training and diet, that will be hard to pass up.

We would all be very happy obviously. His main selling point thus far is recruiting, he needs to deliver big on that end if the results are slow to develop on the floor. If he has the 6th ranked class this year, great start. What he does in between this class and the time they become seniors is just as important. If he has a 12th place finish by the time they are seniors, we will be right where we are now.

Just get those 2022 guys together in a room or gym and preach how special it could be. Easier to picture things when you're around the guys you'll play with and have the coaching selling the vision.

from all accounts, Johnson has good relationships with a lot of HS and AAU coaches. He will have to lean on that while he establishes his own relationships with the HS kids in the '22 and '23 classes.

If a kid is on the fence, that kid might very well ask his AAU coach for advice. if that coach likes Johnson, he might try to convince the kid to give MN a shot. Under Pitino, the AAU coach was more likely to tell kids to stay away from MN.

As I said on another thread, the real test for Johnson is not whether he can land the #1 kid in MN. The test is whether he can land the #4, #5, #6 kid - the exact level of kid that Pitino has not been able to land in recent years. You can build a team with a core of MN players, and then bring in a few targeted recruits/transfers from other states to round out the roster.

Have no idea if this rumor is true or not, but to the point of Coach Johnson moving on that's ridiculous. One of the best players out of Minnesota in a decade or more (that is saying something), you 100% reach out even if 0...1% chance. Especially if your MO is recruiting.
Maybe the best player EVER to come out of Minnesota. I think he merits a phone call or two at minimum.

He's a lottery pick no matter where he goes. It would not harm his interests if he chose MN or Gonzaga or the G League.

Let's keep this all in perspective.
When Pitino was fired, Chet's dad tweeted that they should hire Larry Suggs as coach.

Maybe Ben has a relationship with Suggs, but even doing what Chet's dad demand probably wouldn't move the needle in the recruitment of Chet.

I'll trust Ben is working all of his network the best he can. I'm sure if Ben gauges that Chet still is open, there will be plenty of conversations to come, and if Ben believes the same as 100% of the people who seem to know anything about this, he's exchange pleasantries and move on before he has to listen to people giving him feedback on how to run his job.

My dad is personal friends with Dave Holmgren. He told me he talked with Dave on the phone today and apparently Ben hasn’t even reached out to Chet yet. He said that Chet told his dad he saw a tweet saying Ben had reached out to him and he told his dad that was news to him. He hasn’t heard anything from Ben Johnson.

Also my dad is at Chets game tonight and Ben Johnson is not there...

Chet obviously is leaning Gonzaga but he is not committed yet.

I realize it’s day 2 but I thought Ben made it clear he would hit the ground running...

This is not the end all be all and obviously the chances are still slim to land Chet but a phone call is probably worth it. Ben can still be a great recruiter without recruiting Chet but it’s just odd to me.

Take it or leave it.
He is gone. No need to call Chet

Chet has known for a long time that Suggs was one year and out. Players love Few.

Something to keep in mind, being a parent of an athlete is fun. And if your athlete is a star, there's a certain amount of attention and perceived power that provides you.

But after your son picks a school, that power for that parent goes down drastically. Suddenly, not everyone in the basketball community is as concerned about where your kid goes, or what you as a parent thinks about how wrong the community basketball system is, What coaches should be hired where, or how bad the University nearby is.

It's probably a humbling experience, and for some parents, letting go of that power is difficult and it drops from your hands like grains of sand.
Drops more like a lead brick. Pick the wrong school and you've gone from being loved to being despised.

Top Bottom