Holmgren has not been contacted yet...

TheBarnyard

Reaction score
My dad is personal friends with Dave Holmgren. He told me he talked with Dave on the phone today and apparently Ben hasn’t even reached out to Chet yet. He said that Chet told his dad he saw a tweet saying Ben had reached out to him and he told his dad that was news to him. He hasn’t heard anything from Ben Johnson.

Also my dad is at Chets game tonight and Ben Johnson is not there...

Chet obviously is leaning Gonzaga but he is not committed yet.

I realize it’s day 2 but I thought Ben made it clear he would hit the ground running...

This is not the end all be all and obviously the chances are still slim to land Chet but a phone call is probably worth it. Ben can still be a great recruiter without recruiting Chet but it’s just odd to me.

Take it or leave it.

Ben Johnson is a newbie coach. He's got a lot of learning on the fly. He probably have already contacted all the current players and those in the Transfer Portal to convince them to say. He should also at least make an initial phone call to the top instate recruits.

He has to put together his coaching staff on the fly. It looks like he will retain some of the current staff like Ed Conroy if the 2021 Roster is accurate.

Last edited:

My dad is personal friends with Dave Holmgren. He told me he talked with Dave on the phone today and apparently Ben hasn’t even reached out to Chet yet. He said that Chet told his dad he saw a tweet saying Ben had reached out to him and he told his dad that was news to him. He hasn’t heard anything from Ben Johnson.

I realize it’s day 2 but I thought Ben made it clear he would hit the ground running...

This is not the end all be all and obviously the chances are still slim to land Chet but a phone call is probably worth it. Ben can still be a great recruiter without recruiting Chet but it’s just odd to me.

Take it or leave it.

If by this time tomorrow he doesn't at least reach out to set up a time to talk, he's off to the start i suspected it. Being "the" coach, as oppose to an assistant is night and day. he doesn't have experience juggling the media stuff along with recruiting and current players, etc.

Ideally he would have learned this at a lower level school as a coach, but he's in the B1G.

I think this first cycle will be very tough and a reality shock for him.

Take it or leave it.
He has no relationship with chet, he needs to move on. Has no time to try and placate holmgren.

You have all made very good points so far and I can’t disagree with any of them. I think the juggling of head coaching duties along with recruiting will be a wake up call for sure.
He has no relationship with chet, he needs to move on. Has no time to try and placate holmgren.
This may be true but I’m a sales guy and I know how simple a phone call is. I mean why not one phone call?

I mean why even waste his time? Id be reaching out to realistic options myself.
I get it, I don’t think Chet is realistic either but I would probably call once just to get some feedback if anything else.

Take it or leave it.
I would not be putting alot of time trying to recruit Holmgren at this point!

Just thought it was interesting to share, not saying I think it’s possible we ever land Chet or that’s it’s the best use of time. I’m just curious what my fellow GHers thoughts are.

Just thought it was interesting to share, not saying I think it’s possible we ever land Chet or that’s it’s the best use of time. I’m just curious what my fellow GHers thoughts are.
I am all for Chet to be a Golden Gopher! Heck ya! Will he is quite another matter.

Ben Johnson is a newbie coach. He's got a lot of learning on the fly. He probably have already contacted all the current players and those in the Transfer Portal to convince them to say. He should also at least make an initial phone call to the top instate recruits.

He has to put his coaching staff on the fly. It looks like he will retain some of the current staff like Ed Conroy if the 2021 Roster is accurate.
Ben said in the press conference that he was on the phone reaching out to recruits as soon as the plane landed in MN.

Wow...there are a lot of assumptions being made because the father of a poster talked to the father of a recruit.....I guess maybe Ben should provide a minute by minute log of how he is spending his time to make sure all the fans are satisfied that he isn't just sitting in his office petrified with fear.

People need to just take a step back and give Johnson a chance to do the job he was just hired to do. Time will tell if this was a good hire or a bad one.

Ben said in the press conference that he was on the phone reaching out to recruits as soon as the plane landed in MN.
And I believe him. I’m sure Chet will be contacted by the end of the week.

Wow...there are a lot of assumptions being made because the father of a poster talked to the father of a recruit.....I guess maybe Ben should provide a minute by minute log of how he is spending his time to make sure all the fans are satisfied that he isn't just sitting in his office petrified with fear.

People need to just take a step back and give Johnson a chance to do the job he was just hired to do. Time will tell if this was a good hire or a bad one.
So we aren't allowed to talk about anything because we don't know if it was a good or bad hire?

Not at all what I am saying. But there are definitely some who have made up their mind that Johnson is going to fail without even giving him a chance to unpack boxes in his office.
I actually very badly want Johnson to succeed. I really like him. Me posting this is simply posting a little snippet I heard.

According to one of the reporters on Minnesota Rivals, Holmgren has been contacted by Coach Johnson.

I would believe that before anything since have read here.
I said take it or leave it. I’m not claiming to be a direct source or anything. Just something I heard from some dad sources.

Nice one.

I’m plugged in with the dad community.
At this point seems like Chet and his Dad are really enjoying the ride. They want the attention now, we know you're good. Pick a school already though. I dont see why it's taken this long. Okay you have a good offer from the g league? Take the $1 million

He was brought here to keep in state recruits home...time to sink or swim.

He was brought here to keep in state recruits home...time to sink or swim.

True, but he shouldn't be judged on guys in this recruiting cycle who he has had zero time to establish a relationship with.

Not at all what I am saying. But there are definitely some who have made up their mind that Johnson is going to fail without even giving him a chance to unpack boxes in his office.
Agreed. I don’t think he’ll fail. I am not sure on the level of success he’ll reach but really you can’t go much lower than some of the Pitino years. Finishing 13th in the conference doesn’t leave a lot of room to get worse. My biggest complaint is that the hiring feels uninspired. The average fan isn’t energized. Diehard fans seem unhappy.

Top Bottom