Hole Poll: What grade would you give the Gophers Class of 2022 recruiting class?

Hole Poll: What grade would you give the Gophers Class of 2022 recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 22 10.6%
  • B

Votes: 121 58.5%
  • C

Votes: 63 30.4%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I mean, the 2022 cycle isn't over yet and I don't know if we should be counting transfers. But based on the guys that have signed I will go with a B. Good depth class, light on headliners, lots of needs addressed.

I bumped the grade up to B because of the DL and QB recruits.

I give it a "B" for now. Waiting for transfer commitment news. Let's revisit next April end of signings.

B from me because they all look like players, and no fillers.

C, at best. I was hoping for better by now from PJ.
Honest question for those that feel this is a C class. What are you expecting to see at this point that you aren't on the recruiting front? Is it just a case of not enough 4* players or is it something else?

I'm on record with it being a B class in my opinion due to the lack of headliners but with lots of solid players and addressing positions of need. Curious how others are coming up with their grade for the class.

I said B. I was hoping for a better class but realize that make take more time before that happens. I think either 2023 or 24 class we will start seeing that. Had last year not been a down season maybe we would have seen the bump sooner. Takes more than one good year to see results.

Honest question for those that feel this is a C class. What are you expecting to see at this point that you aren't on the recruiting front? Is it just a case of not enough 4* players or is it something else?

I'm on record with it being a B class in my opinion due to the lack of headliners but with lots of solid players and addressing positions of need. Curious how others are coming up with their grade for the class.
I give it a B as I like to grade against others and understand the challenges. It's hard to get 4 and 5 * players to come much farther west of Notre Dame. It's not a hot bed around here and players have to develop. Turn them into 4* players.

Iowa got 2 of the 4, 4*'s in their State
WI got 3 of the 5
MN 1 of the 2
NE 0 of the 3

These schools have to get them to go farther from home.

Fleck got the 1 of the 2, 4*'s out of Pennsylvania that didn't stay out East. There were 12 in Pennsylvania and Penn State got 6 of them.

Fleck is now established a bit and he's not a new coach that is selling playing time and a new vision. He has a solid roster and is filling needs for the future knowing kids don't have to play from day one. That will impact a class.

Oh an we haven't won our division yet to sell on the recruiting trail.

Agree with the comment about us having little to go on, but...only 2 4-stars, low ones at that. Average going down.

I was hoping by now we'd be top 15-ish.

I like PJ a lot. I was hoping he'd be recruiting higher rated prospects. We aren't going to be competing for B1G titles with this level of recruiting.

Firm C. If this is to be believed we're 10th in the conference and 3rd in the B1G west only ahead of NU, IL, NE, and WI. If I'm WI, I'm feeling an F.

Last edited:

Composite is irrelevant, 247's own rankings is better now. We're 8th out of 14: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten

Look at number of 4* or 5* out of total:

Ohio St - 15 out of 18
Penn St - 15 out of 24
Mich - 10 out of 22
Mich St - 5 out of 22
IU - 5 out of 19
Mary - 4 out of 19
Rutgers - 3 out 18
Minn - 2 out of 19
Iowa - 2 out of 14
Purdue - 2 out of 20
ILL - 0 out of 22
NW - 1 out of 15
Wisc - 3 out of 13
Neb - 1 out of 12

So you just have to remove the top 3. That's never going to be realistic, to compete with. The rest, out of 11 schools, we're 5th.

I like PJ a lot. I was hoping he'd be recruiting higher rated prospects. We aren't going to be competing for B1G titles with this level of recruiting.
I just feel like recruiting is a cabal and semi-rigged (if not fully), at the high end.

Lot of the high end recruits are California, Texas, and the Southeast. And there is a self-reinforcing loop there with ratings, where major helmet schools get higher ratings for getting more of those guys, and those guys get rated higher for selecting those schools.

We're far away from those places, and the weather sucks here Dec-Mar (at least).

Then of course there's the "money" factor. High end recruits always seem to end up at the same places.

No matter how many West "titles" we win ... we're just never going to get at that level.

Not unless/until there is a P5 draft, that evenly spreads around the top schools. But no one actually wants that.

If the NFL didn't have that, then it would just be the richest teams signing the best players every year.

I gave it an A. Lot of solid guys who will play big roles. I also factored in Ciarocca as a new addition. Filling a couple immediate needs through the portal will cap it.

I went with a C++++++++. I think this is an above average class for sure but looking at the conference rankings, it is hard to justify going higher. This does not mean I am dissapointed as we need to remember that this recruiting class started following a 3-4 Covid riddled season. Many a past year would have called for a celebration at the prospect of an above average recruiting class! I am confident in Fleck's recruiting ability. I think 2023 class is going to be a HUGE tell on Fleck's recruiting ability.

Agree with the comment about us having little to go on, but...only 2 4-stars, low ones at that. Average going down.

IMO the Top 15 is usually reserved for helmet schools and programs that just got a 1-2 year boost from a coaching change IMO. Then it goes back to everyone is really close.

I went with C due to the unknowns and roughly10th of 14 teams rating per 247Sports in the Big Ten. Hope it turns out better. Likely the players will need to develop which is hit and miss. To me an A grade is a team loaded with 4 and 5 star players, a B has several 4 star players.

We are already competing and getting stronger. Nobody on the planet knows the difference between a high 3 star and a low 4 star in high school. They all have the same chance to excell in the right systems with the right coaches.

Firm C. If this is to be believed we're 10th in the conference and 3rd in the B1G west only ahead of NU, IL, NE, and WI. If I'm WI, I'm feeling an F.

How the hell does Rutgers have a better class than we do? What do they have that we don't?

IN kicked our ass, that's my thing. How did IN get up in #5?!?

I'm gave it an A. Class is solid. They are hard workers, don't have skeletons in their lives (so we hope), are smart that will translate to the field, they are coachable, have huge hearts, will support each other as a team, and all want to be here. We don't need cancer in the locker room, the classroom, off and on the field.

This class will do well. They will be ranked higher down the road. The end result is what I'm looking at, not where they are ranked today.

No one in the West consistently lands top 15ish classes. How could this be your expectation when Kill was fortunate to break into the top 50?

Top Bottom