Hole Poll: What grade would you give the Gophers Class of 2022 recruiting class?

Hole Poll: What grade would you give the Gophers Class of 2022 recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 22 10.6%
  • B

Votes: 121 58.5%
  • C

Votes: 63 30.4%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

If you had to answer the question: Is PJ a better X's and O's game tactician or recruiter/salesman?
What would you say? I "think" he should be a better recruiter but the numbers don't support that.

Depending on your criteria we have the 9th to 12th best class in the Big Ten. That can't be acceptable. We gotta be better than that.

There probably is an individual post season award winner in our class but there is nobody the analysts predict is going to be. We need at least one somebody that has some hype...somebody that is supposed to make a difference coming in. Then two, then 3 but we don't ever seem to even get the one.

I just feel PJ should be able to better than 43rd and that number is that high because we took a lot of guys....not because they are individually highly rated. LSU has 13 guys in a week and they are #18. Iowa State is 14 spots ahead of us in a lesser conference, lesser state and lesser metropolitan area. Our normal has to be better.
Look at the classes in the Big Ten....really look at them. Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan have classes that are a cut above the rest. But once you get past those 3 there is very little difference from #4-#14. This idea that we have the X best class in the conference is laughable because there is no way of knowing right now how any of these classes stack up against each other.

Are we bringing in talent that is comparable to the talent our division foes are bringing in....yes
Are we bringing in talent that is comparable to what most of the conference is bringing in....yes
Are we bringing in talent on par with the helmet schools in the conference....no

I get that fans want to win the recruiting rankings and like to assume those sites are spot on in their assessments of players.

To answer your first question, Fleck is a better recruiter/salesman. And he has upped our recruiting to a level no other coach here has. We are now consistently bringing in players with power 5 offers and interest as opposed to the past when we were not bringing in talent on par with our rivals.

Still room for improvement but we are moving in the right direction.

Perhaps you should just vote for the rest of us.
I have no issue with people grading the class as a C if the reason for that is solid. But saying it is a C class because some recruiting site rankings think slightly more highly of Vanderbilt's players than ours is a really weak reason.

Takes like these are why I get so annoyed with recruiting. Look at Venderbilt's class and then tell me you can really say that class is better than ours. Team rankings are worthless, the top 10 teams or so are recruiting at a higher level than everyone else. After that it is a big mess of teams where there is very little difference in the classes from top to bottom.

People get way too hung up on the numbers next to a kids name. Or do some people really believe recruiting sites can accurately evaluate players from all over the country playing against all different levels of competition and be spot on every time?
I believe recruiting sites are more right on a kids talent evaluation than you or I.... A bottom dwelling sec team has a higher ranked class than ours... Is what it is

Look at the classes in the Big Ten....really look at them. Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan have classes that are a cut above the rest. But once you get past those 3 there is very little difference from #4-#14. This idea that we have the X best class in the conference is laughable because there is no way of knowing right now how any of these classes stack up against each other.

Are we bringing in talent that is comparable to the talent our division foes are bringing in....yes
Are we bringing in talent that is comparable to what most of the conference is bringing in....yes
Are we bringing in talent on par with the helmet schools in the conference....no

I get that fans want to win the recruiting rankings and like to assume those sites are spot on in their assessments of players.

To answer your first question, Fleck is a better recruiter/salesman. And he has upped our recruiting to a level no other coach here has. We are now consistently bringing in players with power 5 offers and interest as opposed to the past when we were not bringing in talent on par with our rivals.

You really are contradicting yourself within this post. If 4-14 have very little difference, then Fleck really hasn't "upped the recruiting" from his predecessors here at the U.

You really are contradicting yourself within this post. If 4-14 have very little difference, then Fleck really hasn't "upped the recruiting" from his predecessors here at the U.
Mason/Kill brought in players who had very few power 5 options and relied on finding under the radar guys that could be shaped into Big Ten players.

Fleck brings in guys with legit Big Ten and Power 5 options. Compared to his predecessors Fleck has definitely upped the recruiting here.

We aren't out recruiting our key rivals but we are bringing in talent that is on par with the guys they are bringing in. We weren't doing that in the past. This is why we have gone from also ran to contender in the division. The exact recruiting rankings don't mean nearly as much as some want to think they do.

Are we bringing in talent on par with the

Sounds like the definition of a "C".

Mason/Kill brought in players who had very few power 5 options and relied on finding under the radar guys that could be shaped into Big Ten players.

Fleck brings in guys with legit Big Ten and Power 5 options. Compared to his predecessors Fleck has definitely upped the recruiting here.

We aren't out recruiting our key rivals but we are bringing in talent that is on par with the guys they are bringing in. We weren't doing that in the past. This is why we have gone from also ran to contender in the division. The exact recruiting rankings don't mean nearly as much as some want to think they do.
Using your term, there is very little difference, in the recruiting class rankings/ratings in the past. A .85 recruit is a .85 recruit, getting P5 offers does not change that.

You all are making the assumption that the player rating data is accurate and reliable. Except for the top players that have been highly vetted with high exposure, the player data is probably sketchy, especially as you move farther way from the big football rating population centers. Are you sure the player ratings aren't inflated/skewed towards certain population centers? How does Iowa have the 7th most players in the NFL but rarely has a top 20 recruiting rated class? Who's making these ratings and is it easier for them to overrate a player from, say, New York/New Jersey (with shitty college football) than the Upper Midwest?

Chase Alvarez, Tony Nelson, Ashton Beers, Joey Gerlach, Maverick, Tariq Watson, Nathan Jones. 7 of our 19 recruits didn’t have other P5 offers.

This is Fleck’s lowest ranked class isn’t it? I don’t think he is the phenom recruiter people think/want him to be nor is he the great Xs and Os guy. He’s a phenomenal program manager and he brings in people that fit his model. He doesn’t seem to chase marginal character guys for the sake of talent very often.
Actually I was wrong. His lowest class by far was his first class. That class ranked 59th. It consisted of Andries, CrAB, John Michael Schmitz, Mo Ibrahim, Tanner Morgan, Mafe, and Otomewo. Fleck’s best classes have ranked 38, and he’s had three different classes finish at 38.

Chase Alvarez, Tony Nelson, Ashton Beers, Joey Gerlach, Maverick, Tariq Watson, Nathan Jones. 7 of our 19 recruits didn’t have other P5 offers.
Watson had offers from Purdue, WSU, and UVA according to 247, and committed in June.

Ranking player with numbers that go to five significant figures is just simply wrong.
At the most they should use two and by rule one.
Just round up the numbers to two figures and you will see how close together they are.
But the numbers are opinions not facts.
I know there are those who actually pay to see those numbers before the rest of us do.
All that really counts is performance on the field of play and that wil bel at least two years from now.

Guys like Alvarez and Jones and even Gerlach and Maverick are sort of projects that are tough to evaluate. Big tight end you move to tackle or guys who played safety you want to bulk up and move to linebacker. I don’t think a pure blocking tight end is ever really going to grade out very high either. And then it’s like well they chose not to even offer in state Androff who has multiple P5 offers, so they must like Alvarez and Jones more regardless of who offered them.

Last edited:

I stand corrected- 6 of 19.
Last I checked Vanderbilt was Power 5 as well so that removes Jones and brings your total to 5 of 19.

So over 70% of the class holds at least 1 other power 5 offer and most of them have multiple. In the Kill/Mason days those guys you mentioned that currently sit at the bottom our class would have been up near the top. And the percentage of guys with Power 5 offers was much lower.

Beers, Nelson, and Alvarez are all project offensive lineman. Guys who can come in and develop for multiple years before being called on to play. Lots of quality O-Line players follow this path from lower rated recruit to future starter.

Fleck has upped recruiting, maybe not to the level some were expecting, but there is zero doubt we are bringing in a higher level of athlete under Fleck than we were under Mason/Kill.

All the guys you just named are multiple sports athletes with great size, strength and speed. I will trust this group of coaches evaluation over some stupid recruiting service evaluation. Especially athletes like Tony Nelson, Ashton Beers and Nathan Jones, Tariq Watson. Just saying they don't have other power 5 offers doesn't mean these guy's didn't have opportunities to be offered, we don't necessarily know a guy like Tony Nelson that camped with tge Goohers would not gave earned or had more if he didn't commit so early.

Last I checked Vanderbilt was Power 5 as well so that removes Jones and brings your total to 5 of 19.

So over 70% of the class holds at least 1 other power 5 offer and most of them have multiple. In the Kill/Mason days those guys you mentioned that currently sit at the bottom our class would have been up near the top. And the percentage of guys with Power 5 offers was much lower.

Beers, Nelson, and Alvarez are all project offensive lineman. Guys who can come in and develop for multiple years before being called on to play. Lots of quality O-Line players follow this path from lower rated recruit to future starter.

Fleck has upped recruiting, maybe not to the level some were expecting, but there is zero doubt we are bringing in a higher level of athlete under Fleck than we were under Mason/Kill.
Nelson is not a project, that guy will be starting as a redshirt Freshman or Sophmore.

There's been a lot of interesting dialog here. I'm curious what grade people gave the 2016 'Empire' class. That class arguably set the foundation for the 2019 season and had key pieces to the 2021 season still amazingly. That class is viewed very favorably but yet was graded out at 83.91 and 9 of 21 (please check me here) recruits didn't have a P5 offer per 247. Most of the recruits without P5 offers in the 2016 and 2022 classes were MN kids, so it's understandable that they're under the radar or committed to the U early and shut down recruiting. I like looking at both star rating and offers. There doesn't seem to be too much difference between the 2016 and 2022 classes. You can argue the 2022 class is stronger than the Empire that set up some of the Gophers successful seasons. I don't see the need to find too many 'diamonds in the rough' in this class. Long winded way of saying I can't give this anything less than a B grade.

Anthony Smith – Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Iowa State, NC State, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Trey Bixby – Penn State, Michigan State, Arkansas, (Cincinnati)

Zach Evans - Notre Dame, Texas, Utah, Iowa, Arizona State, Kansas

Hayden Schwartz - Michigan, Penn State, Stanford, TCU, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Missouri, Nebraska, Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Miami, Mississippi State, Northwestern, Wake Forest, Washington State, West Virginia

Cade McConnell – Texas Tech, Vanderbilt, TCU, Iowa State, Kansas

Ike White – Boston College, Maryland, Pitt, Syracuse, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, (Cincinnati)

Jacob Knuth – Iowa, Kansas State

Aidan Gousby – wisconsin, Penn State, Purdue, Nebraska, Miami, Louisville, Kentucky, Iowa State, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Illinois

Kristen Hoskins - Iowa State

Rhyland Kelly – Purdue, Kansas State

Tariq Watson – Virginia, Purdue, Washington State

Ashton Beers – None

Joey Gerlach – None

Coleman Bryson – Boston College, Duke, Indiana, Kansas State, Louisville, Northwestern, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Washington State

Tony Nelson – None

Nathan Jones – Vanderbilt

Maverick Baranowski – None

Spencer Alvarez – None

TBD Jack Pyburn – Louisville, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, West Virginia

Carter Coughlin - Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan State, wisconsin, Iowa, Pitt

Seth Green - Oregon, Michigan State, wisconsin, Iowa, Texas, Louisville, Illinois, Pitt

Tyler Johnson - wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State

Sam Schlueter - Michigan State, wisconsin, Louisville, Northwestern, Iowa State

Kamal Martin - None

Phillip Howard - None

Garrison Wright - TCU

Drew Hmielewski - None

Kiondre Thomas - Mississippi State

Conner Olson - None

Thomas Barber - None

Coney Durr - North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Kansas State, Kansas, Purdue, Wake Forest

Merrick Jackson - Baylor, Oklahoma State, Illinois, Iowa State

Kobe McCrary - None

Tai’yon Devers - None

Antoine Winfield Jr. - Michigan State, Missouri, Northwestern, Purdue

TaMarion Johnson - Purdue, Iowa State

Vincent Calhoun - Mississippi State

Ko Kieft - None

DeMarcus Williams – None

Your arguments are all over the place... Fact: Jerry Kill and Claeys identified talent. They had 14 guys they evaluated as players and that got drafted into the NFL PJ presently has two in Bateman and St Juste. We are coming on year 6 for PJ. Yes, he'll add a couple this draft but he's behind. Big Dan will get him to 3 guys.
PJ's evaluation is not superior in judging talent to Kill when it comes to putting guys in the NFL....guys who excel as football players.
Some of the linemen who may get drafted soon were recruits identified by Kill and Clayes as well, plus Coney Durr.
So, the idea that PJ recruits better...identifies talent better ... doesn't ring true for me.

Grading is tough, norm referenced, criterion referenced or something else? I assigned a C because it resembled our recent classes. I will be a Gopher fan regardless of how their recruits are rated. Go Gophers!

Elite does not equal the 13th ranked average recruit rating. Elite does not equal the 10th rated talent level. Time will tell where the class lands in terms of performance on the field - as with all classes. We'll know in 5 years how this class really ranks but to me, it's a C.

Fleck is supposedly a better recruiter. The average ranking of the team's total talent has increased marginally since he's been here, going from 12th in the Big to 10th. While the recruiting rankings are subjective at best, so is looking at the P5 offers listed in the 2022 class to those as recent as 2016, and going back to the Mason days, forget it. Recruiting is a much different game today than it was 5 years ago, let alone 25 years ago.

The challenge with comparing our classes to previous Gopher efforts is you can argue our recruits are better compared to previous Gopher efforts, but it leaves out the fact that a number of teams in the Big are also recruiting better. If everyone else had stayed pat in their talent levels and we increased, we'd be touting better than the 10th ranked overall talent in the conference. We're not.

I gave the class a "C" not because I'm comparing it to previous Gopher classes, because I'm comparing us to the rest of the Big Ten. We've taken a step forward in 5 years under fleck. Unfortunately a lot the rest of the Big 10 has taken a step forward as well.

5 years in, few people who believed in Fleck would have said - 5 years in if we have the 13th ranked average talent out of 14 teams and the 10th ranked total talent, I'd give it a B, let alone an A.

I hear a lot of excuses as to why Fleck hasn't done better, but all of them are rebutted by what other teams have been able to do around Fleck.

We can't hope to crack the top 5 based on our situation. But Indiana can? Purdue can?
We can't just rocket up the rankings until we have several big winning season under our belt. But Rutgers can?
It's only class size that has some teams above us. But that isn't a factor in some of why we finished ahead of other teams?
Covid was weird and hurt us. But no other team was impacted by it? 2020 was actually one of our better years in the conference, but we still didn't crack the top three in the division, we came in 5th.

I expect the usual - it's hard to recruit to Minnesota, or this excuse or that excuse, or the other excuse. The reality is it can be done, but Fleck hasn't been able to do it.

Since Fleck came to Minnesota there have been 4 teams from the west ranked in the top 5 a total of 8 times in the conference. Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, and Purdue. There is nothing that says Minnesota can't do the same - except the posters on this board.

You can argue that no West team is in the top 5 this year, but based on numbers, Iowa could end up in the top 5 as easily as Wisconsin is likely, based on the lower number of recruits, to pass us and put us 4th in the division rankings.

Expecting to compete with the top three year in and year out isn't realistic right now, maybe ever, but improved recruiting to me 5 years ago meant at least competing for the top 3 in the division regularly, which we have not done.

As for cracking the top 5 in the conference? We couldn't even do it after an 11 win season and a Division Co-Champions title. Indiana has done it - so far this year - after an 0-9 conference season. Our results after our big season? We ranked 5th in the division.

In Fleck's 6 classes, he's finished 6,2,5,5,4,3 so far in the west. Top 3 in the west exactly one time. If he hangs on to the 3rd spot this year, he'll have two. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone with his recruiting "prowess" to average better than fourth the division.

So yeah. This class is a "C" to me. It does not lift us closer to being a top recruiting team in the West.

Your arguments are all over the place... Fact: Jerry Kill and Claeys identified talent. They had 14 guys they evaluated as players and that got drafted into the NFL PJ presently has two in Bateman and St Juste. We are coming on year 6 for PJ. Yes, he'll add a couple this draft but he's behind. Big Dan will get him to 3 guys.
PJ's evaluation is not superior in judging talent to Kill when it comes to putting guys in the NFL....guys who excel as football players.
Some of the linemen who may get drafted soon were recruits identified by Kill and Claeys as well, plus Coney Durr.
So, the idea that PJ recruits better...identifies talent better ... doesn't ring true for me.
Not sure where you get 14 players evaluated by Kill/Claeys that were drafted - unless you are counting Ra'Shede Hageman and Brock Vereen, who were Brewster "evaluations". By my count, Kill/Claeys "evaluated" 12 players during their time at MN who would eventually get drafted:

Cedric Thompson (5th Round, 2015)
David Cobb (5th Round, 2015)
Damien Wilson (4th Round, 2015)
Maxx Williams (2nd Round, 2015)
De'Vondre Campbell (4th Round, 2016)
Eric Murray (4th Round, 2016)
Jalen Myrick (7th Round, 2017)
Blake Cashman (5th Round, 2019)(walk-on)
Carter Coughlin (7th Round, 2020)
Kamal Martin (5th Round, 2020)
Tyler Johnson (5th Round, 2020)
Antoine Winfield (2nd Round, 2020)

Given that Kill/Claeys were hired in December 2010, that means it took 5/6 years to get their first four players drafted (which makes perfect sense given recruiting cycles/player development). For perspective, Kill/Claeys did not produce/develop a single drafted player from 2011-2013 - which of course can be blamed on the Brewster regime's evaluations and not necessarily the fault of Kill/Claeys. Fleck/staff have only failed one year in which they have been coaching - 2018 - to have a player drafted.

Fleck was hired in January 2017. To this point he has put 3 players that he/his staff "evaluated" in the NFL (not to mention developed the entire 2020 draft class + Durr, who were all 2016 signees, essentially their whole careers) in what is now around the same time frame as Kill/Claeys.

Chris Williamson (7th Round, 2020)
Rashod Bateman (1st Round, 2021)
Benjamin St. Juste (3rd Round, 2021)

If I'm not mistaken, Faalele is a Fleck/staff identifed player that will most certainly be drafted, as is Mafe and Big O (admittedly, Big O may not be drafted but is getting some hype). JM Schmitz/CRAB (both Fleck/staff evals) would have been drafted had they declared/will be drafted. That puts Fleck/staff with at least 6-8 drafted players in around the same time frame that the previous regime had 4.

And really, your argument that the linemen Kill/Claeys identified that will now potentially be drafted (I'm guessing you mean Andries/Olson/Schlueter) should somehow be credited to that regime is weak - given the fact that there wasn't a single other lineman drafted under that regime's entire tenure, the players were developed primarily by Fleck/staff, and Fleck/staff will have at least two of "their" OL drafted in the next two years. Also, if you ask me, there's not a shot in hell that Tyler Johnson gets drafted if Kill/Claeys remain the coaches and I would credit Fleck and his staff with his development and eventual drafting, but that, of course, is conjecture. If you want to make the argument that Kill/Claeys were much better identifiers/evaluators of NFL talent, it is, at best, far too early to say that, and quite frankly, given the evidence, an incorrect assertion.

My rating is a B- I will reevaluate PJ after next 2 recruiting cycles. I wonder if there were a National evaluation of quality player And quality Person combination, where would Gophers would rank?
If we recruit 3 and 4 star players that are mostly 5 star quality people, that works for me. Of course I would prefer we can continually do better. I still think we can and will improve in the next few years.
Winning is obviously the main goal, but only when combined with turning out quality men into the world.
I expect PJ to do both and I believe he is currently on the right path.

Some of the linemen who may get drafted soon were recruits identified by Kill and Clayes as well, plus Coney Durr.
So Kill/Claeys get the credit for the players they inherited plus everyone on the roster when they left. Yet Fleck only gets credit for the ones he brought in (you shorted him one as was pointed out). Fleck still has players from his first class on the team, so he’s only behind when you stack the deck like you are doing. Fleck is actually ahead as Kill didn’t have his own guys drafted until 2015 and he was hired at the end of 2010.

You post your opinion and people loose their shit.... Vanderbilt's class has a higher ranking... Y'all may not like it or try to spin it however you want... Fact of the matter is these services do believe they have a better class as it stands right now... Could fleck n company coach em up to be better yes... Most deffinetly...

I don't know what you all want out of this program.. just to be competitive, win 10+ games every so often...... I personally want to see us in the cfp... Recruits with an .84 score.... Are not going to get you there... If they were.. Alabama, fla, lsu, tosu, atm, all would have rosters constructed with them....

Take a look at the top classes... aTm lowest ranked signee is like .8788.... Their lowest rated... They have 4 top 50 h.s. players committed or signed.... That's what I wish for.... Top 20 finishes every year, replacing not rebuilding.....

Anyways... It's a beautiful 70 degree day in TN today... Y'all enjoy... And I hope last night's storms didn't do a number on ya... Praying for y'all...

No one other than you gives a shit about comparisons to Kill and 7 years ago. It’s over, breathe deep. 30% of the class didn’t have other P5 options. You inflated the class due to your blindness for all things Fleck, and since the class is below average in both the B1G and nationally, your only comeback is that it’s better than the last guy 7 years ago.

Top Bottom