Hey! Look at who is back in the transfer portal and who else just entered it

We lost out on Michael Green III :(
Marcus Fuller tweeted that we reached out to him before Peyton Willis committed. Or maybe we just couldn't compete with the allure of Robert Morris?

This photo is almost indistinguishable from any small town lol, looks just like main st in st. charles, mn population 3,000

Actually, it looks like the main street of the town where I live and that isn't breathtaking either. However, my guess is that Coraopolis is worse if you drive around because most of the small towns outside Pittsburgh are pretty sad (especially to the south). I haven't been to Coraopolis but I've been to a number of towns in that area.

Alright, I haven't been keeping up so well with the portal, but there are some interesting developments recently. . .

* One of the more intriguing names to enter the portal is Vanderbilt's Dylan Disu, who just wrapped up his sophomore campaign with 15 and 9, with 49/37% shooting as a 6'9" power forward. He's originally from Texas, so my immediate instinct is Chris Beard will be elbowing his way to the front of the line.

* UND (and former Prior Lake, I believe) point guard Tyree Ihenacho is moving on to James Madison after a season that saw him earn Freshman of the Year in the Summit League.

* I do believe that some of these guys are just entering their names into the portal because it's the only way they'll ever see their names in bright lights. Case in point-Bryson Morehead.

* Speaking of Morehead. . .a player by the name of Jaden-Stanley Williams is transferring from Morehead State (in Kentucky) to MN State-Moorhead. I saw this about a week ago, and I just can't get it out of my mind. . .seems like a very narrow approach to choosing schools. Or, if I was not as mature as I am, I might make a crack about this player choosing programs based upon a fantasy--like a Christmas fanatic moving to Santa Claus, Indiana.

* Utah's roster continues to be plucked away--in addition to Timmy Allen headed to Texas, Alfonso Plummer's joining the Illini and Ian Martinez is off to Maryland. Craig Smith's bringing over a couple of his former Utah State players in Rollie Worster and Marco Anthony, along with UNLV transfer David Jenkins, Jr. who averaged 15 ppg last season (who followed TJ Oltzenberger from SoDakSt. to UNLV, but evidently wasn't interested in coming to Ames).

* Duke's end of the bench is being given a spring cleaning--Jaemyn Brakefield's headed to Ole Miss and Henry Coleman III just entered the portal. Both were 4 star recruits as freshmen last year, but no tears need to be shed for the Dukies (although one wonders if Dukie V's source from his recent tweet about players being recruited off of teams into the portal is not far removed from Coach K)

* Speaking of Duke transfers, Porter Moser's putting together an interesting collection down in Oklahoma, bringing Jordan Goldwire on board along with the Groves' brothers from Eastern Washington. Those are some nice pieces to replace the departed Brady Manek and De'Vion Harmon.

* Thinking point guards, while it seems everyone and their mother is departing Texas Tech, Buzz Williams did wrangle point guard and former Wyoming Cowboy Marcus Williams down to College Station. James Akinjo from Arizona is a very interesting possibility, but I imagine he's looking for a bigger fish than the "U" for college #3 (after a freshman season at Georgetown).

Glad to see the Gophers taking a swing at Disu, even if it seems likely he’s bound for somewhere in Texas:

* I do believe that some of these guys are just entering their names into the portal because it's the only way they'll ever see their names in bright lights. Case in point-Bryson Morehead.
once they enter the portal, aren't they at risk? Doesn't the school have total control on whether or not they would let that student athlete return?

once they enter the portal, aren't they at risk? Doesn't the school have total control on whether or not they would let that student athlete return?
I have an idea that several of the names we see in the portal, especially from the P6 conferences where little production has occurred are being "Creaned". The other side of the portal where the "woe for the poor college coaches who worked so hard to recruit these kids" is not being trumpeted by the likes of Dickie V., as this practice has been going on for years without any prominent media voice (to my knowledge/memory) speaking out--it's when the pobrocito million dollar coaches aren't able to manipulate the rosters as they'd like that the sky is falling.

New to the site and unsure of where to post this bad news about a kid, not transferring, but headed to the NBA:

Feel free to repost more appropriately.
The most appropriate post I can think of is, "That really sucks for those who truly care about him."

The BC website lists him as 6-8, 220--small for a 5, our biggest need, but he was All-ACC Defense. It would be great to have an elite defender and rebounder whatever his position.
Didn't know he was All-Team Defense. He would be a nice get for sure.

Pass for me. Need a center and a forward who can shoot. Unless Brandon Johnson doesn’t comeback he could replace Brandon.

Pass for me. Need a center and a forward who can shoot. Unless Brandon Johnson doesn’t comeback he could replace Brandon.
I just don't know if we can be that picky. This kid would probably be our starter to match up against other teams big man.

Didn't know he was All-Team Defense. He would be a nice get for sure.
At this point I would take him and Parker Fox playing a lot of our minutes at C. Undersized for sure.

He actually made 1 3P per game (at 29% which would have been average on our team last year) so he has a little bit of outside game. Brandon Johnson shot 26%.

He also seems to be a good passer. He averaged 3.8 assists per 40 minutes his junior year. Love the idea of a good defender (if not rim protector) and passer playing some minutes at our 5 spot.

Mitchell would be a 5th year senior. He has played 4 years worth of Jordan Murphy minutes. You get age, experience, maturity, and his scholarship clears out after next year. And Mitchell played at an actual P6 school compared to all these other transfers we are getting. Sign him up!

At this point I would take him and Parker Fox playing a lot of our minutes at C. Undersized for sure.

He actually made 1 3P per game (at 29% which would have been average on our team last year) so he has a little bit of outside game. Brandon Johnson shot 26%.

He also seems to be a good passer. He averaged 3.8 assists per 40 minutes his junior year. Love the idea of a good defender (if not rim protector) and passer playing some minutes at our 5 spot.

Mitchell would be a 5th year senior. He has played 4 years worth of Jordan Murphy minutes. You get age, experience, maturity, and his scholarship clears out after next year. And Mitchell played at an actual P5 school compared to all these other transfers we are getting. Sign him up!
Agreed

Agree can’t be to picky. I just wonder if you can sell Mitchell to come here and tell him he might be the center.

I think people are making too much out of needing a traditional center. Many teams run with 2 guards and 3 forwards, or 3 guards and 2 forwards.

Baylors 8 man rotation was 5 guards and 3 forwards. Ohio St's tallest starter was 6'8" last season.

I think people are making too much out of needing a traditional center. Many teams run with 2 guards and 3 forwards, or 3 guards and 2 forwards.

Baylors 8 man rotation was 5 guards and 3 forwards. Ohio St's tallest starter was 6'8" last season.

I agree, but the guy from North Dakota would have been nice to get....

Now I think we really need to get the two guys from A&M or something comparable.

I'd really like to add Mitchell. I think I might prefer him to the North Dakota guy.

His a good defensive player and kind of a stat stuffer. They dipped last year but he averaged 3 assists per game prior season. He blocked more shots in a much better conference.

I'd be stoked to land Mitchell. He could possibly be one of our better players.

Top Bottom