Hey! Look at who is back in the transfer portal and who else just entered it

But even normally ... if you've been at a school for 2-3 full academic years, and it just isn't working out how you thought, I think you should be allowed to transfer to another school without sitting out, once, for your last 2-3 academic years.

And I think that is what a lot of these are. The other big chunk of them are grad transfers, which would be no sit-out anyway.

The only ones that don't sit well with me, are kids who've only been at a program for one year and aren't grad transfers, and especially if they were freshman, who want to hop right back out again.

I think you should have to spend two-years at a new four-year program that you transfer or enroll into, before you're allowed to access the portal.

I think given how miserable the college basketball experience was for most players (with all the testing, social isolation, etc) last year, it's probably a fair move.

I think they should have attached some maximum number of games this season to the optional year. If we go back to the late seventies, 26 or 27 games was a full season for most teams. No Big Ten team played fewer than 24 games and 5 played over 30 this season. I don't know why someone who played 28 games this season needs an additional year.

As far as social isolation, that doesn't make athletes any different from others who were following the rules in this environment.

Matt Painter had an interesting suggestion that seems pretty fair and would address the chaos that's become this off-season (which has steadily increased, year after year):

Immediate transfer without sitting out is available one time, after your sophomore year. If you transfer before that (following freshman season/midway through second season), you have to sit out the season. I would imagine any additional transfers would require another full year of sitting out.

This off-season and the subsequent way it plays out on the court is going to be bonkers--it already is and will continue for some time (I wonder if there's any talk about a cut-off date where a player would need to enter the portal to still be eligible for the immediate play transfer? I haven't seen anything) I think we can rest assured that this off-season will be an aberration-enough programs will be hit hard to cause the rules to be adjusted. Keep in mind though, even before this off-season, the growth in the transfer portal was skyrocketing and it'll be a tough sell to legitimately and fairly roll that back-not when coaches have the ability to switch jobs immediately without any penalty and the nudging (or "Creaning", if you will) of non-contributing scholarship players off of rosters continues by the coaches.

Whew, the past couple days have been busy with the portal, with overall numbers shooting past 1300 and will likely pass 1400 in a day or so if this pace continues. Quite a few interesting names since I last did an update on Saturday:

Mac McClung (as posted by mkAz) is doing the NBA entry/portal entry double, so if he comes back to college, he'll be likely headed to his third college in three years. Might he slide on over to Austin to rejoin Beard?

Payton Willis, SG, College of Charleston. The former Gopher will be extending his career at a 4th college, after a successful post-grad year.

Marcus Williams, PG, Wyoming. Hmm, this kid is interesting. Had a pretty good freshman season for the Cowboys, although he faded towards the end of the season. Played in Colorado State's conference, perhaps he and Thorson made a connection :).

Charlie Moore, PG, DePaul. Another peripatetic fella, who like Willis will be headed to his fourth college. Scored around 14 ppg this season, but not very efficiently for a poor team.

Bryce Thompson, SG, Kansas. Freshman who was hampered by injuries and didn't do much this season, but was a top 50 recruit coming out of high school.

Daejon Davis, SG, Stanford. Scored around 10 ppg in senior year with The Cardinal capping a solid if unspectacular four years.

Thomas Kithier and Joey Brunk, Michigan St and Indiana, respectively. A couple big men, veteran bench guys who could provide depth for a team needing front court help.

Cheikh Mbacke Diong, UNLV. Another NBA entrant/transfer portal guy. 6'11", All-Defensive Team, senior who averaged 9 and 7.5 for the Running Rebels. Another guy who hopefully Thorson connected with in the handshake line.

Daniel Batcho, Arizona. European big who was injured throughout freshman season and didn't play. One would imagine if he ended up in Tucson, he's got some talent.

KJ Walton, Ball State, SG. Looking to go from college ball to social security-next season will be his 7th season in college (transfer season from Missouri, injury RS, plus this bonus season). Averaged 16 ppg and 6 rpg as a 6'3" shooting guard this past season.

Oumar Ballo, Gonzaga, C. 7' who played sparingly this past season and may be reading the tea leaves and seeing that Drew Timme might be returning and Chet Holmgren may be joining the team and figured out he'd be sitting a lot again this upcoming year.

What's interesting from the portal?

Whoever at cbs sportsline who wrote that article about the winners/losers of the draft portal was waaaay early on putting that out. Yes, Minnesota was hit hard as they transition to a new coach and try to move on from a 13th place conference finish. But consider for a moment Texas Tech. Chris Beard leaves and admin quickly moves to appoint Mark Adams, well respected assistant coach to head coach. Either the players hate Lubbock, aren't fans of Adams or a combo of both because since the hiring, three starters have went into the portal, another has declared for the NBA draft, and three bench players have also went into the portal. One bit of good news is KJ Allen, the standout on Last Chance U, changed his commitment from USC to Texas Tech.

Meanwhile, Beard and his crew are putting in work--they've received commitments from two of the bigger names in the portal, Timmy Allen (formerly of Utah) and Devin Askew (Kentucky) while also bringing Jaylon Tyson, a top 50 commit, over from TT.

Other big names and their new homes (from just the past couple days):
Walker Kessler, Auburn (formerly UNC)
Boogie Ellis, USC (Memphis)
Xavier Pinson, LSU (Missouri)
Matt Bradley, San Diego St (Cal)
Nimari Burnett, Alabama (Texas Tech)
Jayden Gardner, Virginia (East Carolina)
Thanks. Really enjoyed this update!

Marcus Williams, PG, Wyoming. Hmm, this kid is interesting. Had a pretty good freshman season for the Cowboys, although he faded towards the end of the season.
Mountain West Freshman of the Year. This is what the transfer portal is for mid majors. Have a good year, move on up to greener pastures. Can't blame the player, as they're looking out for number one. Coach BJ, go get this guy.

Matt Painter had an interesting suggestion that seems pretty fair and would address the chaos that's become this off-season (which has steadily increased, year after year):

Immediate transfer without sitting out is available one time, after your sophomore year. If you transfer before that (following freshman season/midway through second season), you have to sit out the season. I would imagine any additional transfers would require another full year of sitting out.

This off-season and the subsequent way it plays out on the court is going to be bonkers--it already is and will continue for some time (I wonder if there's any talk about a cut-off date where a player would need to enter the portal to still be eligible for the immediate play transfer? I haven't seen anything) I think we can rest assured that this off-season will be an aberration-enough programs will be hit hard to cause the rules to be adjusted. Keep in mind though, even before this off-season, the growth in the transfer portal was skyrocketing and it'll be a tough sell to legitimately and fairly roll that back-not when coaches have the ability to switch jobs immediately without any penalty and the nudging (or "Creaning", if you will) of non-contributing scholarship players off of rosters continues by the coaches.

I don't have any problem with the one time transfer for everyone this offseason, but something new has to be done next season.

I like Painter's idea, and I like adding that you have the ability to transfer without sitting if the head coach leaves or is fired.

Beyond those two rules, everyone should have to sit a year if they transfer.

Mountain West Freshman of the Year. This is what the transfer portal is for mid majors. Have a good year, move on up to greener pastures. Can't blame the player, as they're looking out for number one. Coach BJ, go get this guy.

He had a terrific freshman year, especially for a fairly unheralded recruit. He was a little turnover prone and tapered off as the season wore on but those are pretty common occurrences for freshmen who play a lot right away. He started the season with 14 straight double digit scoring games. Five of them were over 20 points and one of those was 30 points. Had a 15 point, 10 assist, 6 rebounds, and 7 steals game against San Jose State in the MW tournament.

I think given how miserable the college basketball experience was for most players (with all the testing, social isolation, etc) last year, it's probably a fair move.
Interesting point that I hadn't considered.

Plus, the decision was made back when it was less certain that there would be a full season even played.
Which is why I said the decision was perhaps premature.

I guess I really don't like that they made the decision without knowing how things would turn out. I don't understand the free transfer part of it. Why? Because Covid? I don't understand that part for sure.

WriterGoph makes a good point above, but still, this affects all subsequent classes with less opportunity (part of another class of competition for scholarships/playing time, etc), until the whole thing resets after everyone is gone. I don't like that part.

Last edited:

ASU PG Holland Woods enters the transfer portal. He was stuck behind Remy Martin at ASU last season. Marreon Jackson just transferred to ASU for next season. Woods was pretty good at Portland State before that.
Or Theo John could dial up McKinley Wright, they could phone Coach Johnson and tell him they want to run it back and and we're set at point guard and center! (that was today's dream when I saw John's name in the portal)

Or Theo John could dial up McKinley Wright, they could phone Coach Johnson and tell him they want to run it back and and we're set at point guard and center! (that was today's dream when I saw John's name in the portal)

I actually had that same dream a few weeks ago. Maybe Wright wants to make some money while playing....but it could be a heck of run coming back home to play a year with one of your high school teammates.

I actually had that same dream a few weeks ago. Maybe Wright wants to make some money while playing....but it could be a heck of run coming back home to play a year with one of your high school teammates.
...and showing to the pros that your game is up to the competition of the Big Ten night in and night out.

I believe this is the sixth player in the portal for Oklahoma. What should have been their top two returning starters in Manek and now Harmon are both in the portal. Rough start for Moser and all newcomer coaches.

I figured we were a long shot, but the regional choices and then Texas and Oklahoma mixed in is kinda weird.
Glad he didn’t go to Wisconsin. For a stretch four type it seemed like a good match.

I figured we were a long shot, but the regional choices and then Texas and Oklahoma mixed in is kinda weird.
That is weird. Portland would be a surprise. Chris Beard is a wizard, I could see that happening. Rumor is players leaving Oklahoma because they don't want to play a slow pace for Moser. Groves would fit well there. This one is tough, but for fun I'm going to say Washington State

That is weird. Portland would be a surprise. Chris Beard is a wizard, I could see that happening. Rumor is players leaving Oklahoma because they don't want to play a slow pace for Moser. Groves would fit well there. This one is tough, but for fun I'm going to say Washington State
Only reason Portland is in the picture is because that's where Legans ended up. Will be an interesting case study to see how much that relationship was worth.

Only reason Portland is in the picture is because that's where Legans ended up. Will be an interesting case study to see how much that relationship was worth.
Would be cool to see Portland give some more competition in that league.

But even normally ... if you've been at a school for 2-3 full academic years, and it just isn't working out how you thought, I think you should be allowed to transfer to another school without sitting out, once, for your last 2-3 academic years.

And I think that is what a lot of these are. The other big chunk of them are grad transfers, which would be no sit-out anyway.

The only ones that don't sit well with me, are kids who've only been at a program for one year and aren't grad transfers, and especially if they were freshman, who want to hop right back out again.

I think you should have to spend two-years at a new four-year program that you transfer or enroll into, before you're allowed to access the portal.

I don't have a problem with transferring even after 1 year. Let freedom reign.

- All other sports (except football) they can transfer whenever.
- If these are not employees, just does not seem fair to restrict freedom of movement, in my opinion.
- If it's truly a bad situation for the player, for whatever reason (homesick, bad academic fit, playing style doesn't work with coach etc) just doesn't seem fair to penalize a kid to sit out for a year (though that may even be in the best interests for all concerned).

Yes, it does lead to chaos. My response to that is, so what.

I don't have a problem with transferring even after 1 year. Let freedom reign.

- All other sports (except football) they can transfer whenever.
I would make it the same for all sports. IE, in all sports you need to make a two year commitment for the no-sit transfer to apply, unless you're a grad transfer.

- If these are not employees, just does not seem fair to restrict freedom of movement, in my opinion.
No movement is being restricted. It isn't a rule saying that a transfer is not allowed.

It's about if you can play for the new school right away in the next season.

- If it's truly a bad situation for the player, for whatever reason (homesick, bad academic fit, playing style doesn't work with coach etc) just doesn't seem fair to penalize a kid to sit out for a year (though that may even be in the best interests for all concerned).
I would argue you need to give it another year. If it's still a bad fit after at least two years, then by all means.

Or, if it is really bad, no one is stopping you from transferring. But you need to sit out from playing the next season.

Top Bottom