Have we officially caught up to Wisconsin?

Which is why I can't understand how they got the talent level they had in 2016 and 2017, let alone in 2010 and 2011, to go there .... what changed, in talent level?

Unless you really don't believe the talent level is any different, and it was just luck and/or other circumstance of the conference that let them just win a bunch more games those previous years.

I haven't looked, but I assume they had significantly more talent those years.
The big thing that has changed with Wisconsin is their long run of having a superstar running back ended. Allen is very good but he isn't on the level of guys like Jonathan Taylor and the long run they had of elite backs.

The big thing that has changed with Wisconsin is their long run of having a superstar running back ended. Allen is very good but he isn't on the level of guys like Jonathan Taylor and the long run they had of elite backs.
And they don’t have an o line or backup RB who is great either

Badgers last 5 years: 37-22
Gophers last 5 years: 38-20
Head to head: 3-2 gophers.

Sorry but this isn’t really a question anymore.
I felt this way last year but some were not ready to make that leap. Valid point that we have not caught up to where they were when they were dominating the West but the important part is that we have closed the talent gap with everyone the Big Ten outside of the Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State group.

And they don’t have an o line or backup RB who is great either
True. I just remember the long run Wisconsin had where every year it seemed like they had an elite back and you could see the heir apparent waiting in the wings to take over once the other guy left. That ended after Jonathan Taylor.

O-Line wise, they have brought in a ton of highly rated offensive lineman but they definitely do not dominate the way they used along the offensive line. O-Line is one spot where getting caught up in recruiting rankings is kind foolish anyway since those guys tend to take time to develop and reach their full potential.

I felt this way last year but some were not ready to make that leap. Valid point that we have not caught up to where they were when they were dominating the West but the important part is that we have closed the talent gap with everyone the Big Ten outside of the Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State group.
For sure:
I think Purdue was too.

I think the tiers in 2010 were:
Ohio state

Wisconsin/Michigan state/penn state/Michigan

Iowa

Minnesota/Purdue/northwestern

Indiana/Illinois

Now I think it’s pretty clear:
Ohio state/Michigan

Penn state

Minnesota/Iowa/Wisconsin/Purdue/Michigan state

Maryland/Illinois (could be up a group in a year or two) + northwestern (could be back a group in a year or two…probably are now but two west titles)

Nebraska/Indiana/Rutgers

Given the advantage of recruiting to college town Madison versus Minneapolis, I'd say Fleck and crew are doing quite well. It has been a struggle -- and it won't be easy to catch whoever is next. I'd expect Nebraska to greatly improve quickly, Illinois seems to be strengthening, Purdue is already doing well. Northwestern has its recruiting limitations but there's no reason to expect Iowa to weaken. Then there's UCLA and USC on the way in. UM will need to continue to develop what talent we're able to coax in and play error-scarce ball in the conference. But the Gophers are clearly on a favorable, though gentle, slope upward.

Is it easier to recruit to Madison, Wisc?

Seems like there's not jack s__t to do there. A fun night out is to Applebee's.

They put on some crazy frat parties when the cruits come to town. What else is there?

Is it easier to recruit to Madison, Wisc?

Seems like there's not jack s__t to do there. A fun night out is to Applebee's.

They put on some crazy frat parties when the cruits come to town. What else is there?
College kids love to party. Simple as that. And it's nonstop partying and drinking in Madison. They don't care about restaurants.

I guess that is the kind of message that sells a person to come to Wisconsin in the first place.

"Do you like to drink??? So do we!"

Is "caught up" really the right way to phrase it?

I think the Wisc program of the covid year and this year .... they just don't look anything like the 2016 and 2017 Wisconsin teams, certainly not like 2010 and 2011.

Wisc fans certainly would phrase it as "we've sunk down to Minnesota's level".

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle of the ends of the spectrum.
Which is what everyone is kind of saying

Fleck is 3-3 against Wisconsin. That covers a period of 6 seasons. He's beaten them twice in Madison with two different starting QBs.

Wisconsin is about to make yet another coaching change.

I like the direction we're headed. Wisconsin's trajectory is shaped like a question mark.

Badgers last 5 years: 37-22
Gophers last 5 years: 38-20
Head to head: 3-2 gophers.

Sorry but this isn’t really a question anymore.
So cute that you think that. How about the 13-1 season for the badgers and blowing the gophers doors off in 19. Gophers are better but they lose the big games that count ex for bowl games. Badgers have been to 6 rose bowls and many new year 6. Also the last couple years they have been down so if that’s the standard they are shooting for ok. This is the worst badger team since 2001 and they beat them but not by much.

So cute that you think that. How about the 13-1 season for the badgers and blowing the gophers doors off in 19. Gophers are better but they lose the big games that count ex for bowl games. Badgers have been to 6 rose bowls and many new year 6. Also the last couple years they have been down so if that’s the standard they are shooting for ok. This is the worst badger team since 2001 and they beat them but not by much.
I prefer to Live in the Now (or at least the last 5 years).

Win the west just one time before posting a thread like this. Gophers better for sure. Pj got them going the right direction but we will see. Next year schedule will be a bitch.

I think it would be more accurate to say....Wisconsin has come down to us.

I prefer to Live in the Now (or at least the last 5 years).
Word you always nail me on the moniker. But let’s be honest. Gophers looking better but what’s the timeline for caught up to Wisconsin? What’s the matrix just head to head or is it big 10 west wins? Last 5 years badgers have had some really good teams. Last 3 years not so much.

5 years seems like a reasonable time period for comparison. The thread didn’t ask which program has been better the last 30 years. The badgers 2019 blowout win is factored into this, as is the gophers 2018 win which was by an even larger margin. If we’re not counting close games then I guess we could take away Wisconsin beating us in overtime on a missed field goal at camp Randall in 2020, but I don’t think that would make sense.

Word you always nail me on the moniker. But let’s be honest. Gophers looking better but what’s the timeline for caught up to Wisconsin? What’s the matrix just head to head or is it big 10 west wins? Last 5 years badgers have had some really good teams. Last 3 years not so much.
Number of top 10 finishes in the past 5 years
Minnesota: 1
Wisconsin: 0

Win the west just one time before posting a thread like this. Gophers better for sure. Pj got them going the right direction but we will see. Next year schedule will be a bitch.
This isn’t a thread comparing west titles, it’s comparing the current state of each program. Northwestern has 2 west titles in the last 5 years, I think we can still say we’ve caught up to them no?

This isn’t a thread comparing west titles, it’s comparing the current state of each program. Northwestern has 2 west titles in the last 5 years, I think we can still say we’ve caught up to them no?
No. Because they haven’t won the west. Lost the biggest game to Wisconsin in the last 50 years in 19. Badgers are down right now and if that’s what the gophers want to be(shitty badger teams) then I guess they are. Gophers are as good as the worst badger teams I’ve seen in 30 years. Congratulations. Maybe that’s why pj got a 100k bonus and badgers fired their coach. Expectations me boy.

No. Because they haven’t won the west. Lost the biggest game to Wisconsin in the last 50 years in 19. Badgers are down right now and if that’s what the gophers want to be(shitty badger teams) then I guess they are. Gophers are as good as the worst badger teams I’ve seen in 30 years. Congratulations. Maybe that’s why pj got a 100k bonus and badgers fired their coach. Expectations me boy.
You are not understanding the purpose of this thread. Nobody is claiming we are at the level of 2017 Wisconsin. It’s just a comparison of the two programs. You are mad that your program is slipping and using it to insult us, I get it, but you are looking like a real sore loser, not to mention poorly educated.

Basically the gophers have stayed the same and the badgers have come down. I wouldn’t think that’s what the fan base or pj would want.

You are not understanding the purpose of this thread. Nobody is claiming we are at the level of 2017 Wisconsin. It’s just a comparison of the two programs. You are mad that your program is slipping and using it to insult us, I get it, but you are looking like a real sore loser, not to mention poorly educated.
Yep. I’m mad and poorly educated. But I built a multi million dollar business with my high school education and I’m pretty proud of that. If it makes you feel better to say you have caught Wisconsin then ok. You win. I bow to your elite knowledge. The badgers suck just like the gophers this year and both programs underperformed. Better?

5 years seems like a reasonable time period for comparison. The thread didn’t ask which program has been better the last 30 years. The badgers 2019 blowout win is factored into this, as is the gophers 2018 win which was by an even larger margin. If we’re not counting close games then I guess we could take away Wisconsin beating us in overtime on a missed field goal at camp Randall in 2020, but I don’t think that would make sense.
2018 game meant nothing. 19 was a big one. That’s my point

Top Bottom