Gophers in CSUF G transfer Latrell Wrightsell Jr. top 3

That doesn't make it a 'very good job'.
But a good paying one. I’m figuring that two years of that contract would provide for me for the rest of my life even after taxes. Not sure it’s worth it though.

Hiring a compent coach comes first. This is considered a very good job (or at least was before Ben Johnson was hired). You need a coach that kids want to play for and not a coach who has zero track record and is learning on the job. That describes both Pitino and Johnson. The fact that Nolan Winter chose to go to Wisconsin speaks volumes here. That has nothing to do with NIL and everything to do with him and his family not trusting to develop Nolan and win basketball games.
This definitely wasn’t considered a good job if it was we wouldn’t have hired back to back coaches with minimum to no head coaching experience. I think we as fans overrate this job. This is an attractive job for a low to mid major HC but not to the level we think

This definitely wasn’t considered a good job if it was we wouldn’t have hired back to back coaches with minimum to no head coaching experience. I think we as fans overrate this job. This is an attractive job for a low to mid major HC but not to the level we think
I think we underestimate the damage Norwood did by dumping Tubby who was respected in the coaching fraternity. Unless the coaches knew what a sleazy person Teague was before we did, we were iced out because of the way Tubby was treated. Richard was fourth or fifth choice. Hiring Ben further diminishes the job I think.

Or that he liked the Wisconsin campus and history and didn’t want to be on the same roster as a five star seven foot three guy. Your points are understood but reading the minds of 18 year olds that I’m assuming you don’t know is only campaigning for your point not really adding anything to the conversation that we have not heard. You and most of us are unhappy. We get it. Cut the self-righteousness.
What I posted is my takeaway from an interview on a subscription site and a podcast that is available for free. Wisconsin took another big (Gus Yalden) in their 2023 class in along with Winter. Evans had not committed to Minnesota when Winter made his decision, but Yalden had committed to Wisconsin.

By who? Every coach that has won consistently here has cheated.
What is your definition of "cheating"? Clem certainly did not cheat compared to his peers. North Carolina cheats, Kansas cheats, everyone cheats. The guys that didn't win here, have not won elsewhere. The guys that didn't win here didn't win elsewhere. Monson has settled in as a low major D1 coach. Tubby Smith made one more NCAA tournament in 9 more years of coaching. Pitino has been under .500 in the Mountain West in both his seasons there.

I think we underestimate the damage Norwood did by dumping Tubby who was respected in the coaching fraternity. Unless the coaches knew what a sleazy person Teague was before we did, we were iced out because of the way Tubby was treated. Richard was fourth or fifth choice. Hiring Ben further diminishes the job I think.
No one judges the program based on what an AD did ten years ago to Tubby. Yes, they probably think that was dumb, but they make a decision based on current AD, conference, salary, facilities, where they want to live, etc.

Coyle made a strange decision when he hired Ben. That isn't because he couldn't have done much better. There were coaches very interested in this job. There would be in the future. As frustrating as the past two years have been, I hope we aren't looking for a new coach next year because Ben and staff turn it around and make significant progress this next year.

I agree with you 100% about the treatment of Tubby but I think the treatment of Pitino should have been more encouraging to a potential coaching hire. He was a mediocre coach but he still lasted 8 years here.

I agree with you 100% about the treatment of Tubby but I think the treatment of Pitino should have been more encouraging to a potential coaching hire. He was a mediocre coach but he still lasted 8 years here.
Agreed, but I have no idea what the memory lifeline is in the coaching fraternity and how long reputations stick. Pitino was treated better than he would have in many Power5 institutions, but the slow downgrade in the program didn't help. I am not seeing the U as a highly desired job by in-demand coaches at any level, no matter where the roots of that disease is.

No one judges the program based on what an AD did ten years ago to Tubby. Yes, they probably think that was dumb, but they make a decision based on current AD, conference, salary, facilities, where they want to live, etc.

Coyle made a strange decision when he hired Ben. That isn't because he couldn't have done much better. There were coaches very interested in this job. There would be in the future. As frustrating as the past two years have been, I hope we aren't looking for a new coach next year because Ben and staff turn it around and make significant progress this next year.
Of course not, but what was done to Tubby ten years ago has contributed to the accelerating erosion of the program since. I would bet money, and I'm cheap, that firing Tubby did impact their ability to hire a better and more experienced coach than Pitino turned out to be.

Agreed, but I have no idea what the memory lifeline is in the coaching fraternity and how long reputations stick. Pitino was treated better than he would have in many Power5 institutions, but the slow downgrade in the program didn't help. I am not seeing the U as a highly desired job by in-demand coaches at any level, no matter where the roots of that disease is.
Define "highly desired". Most years there's around 10 power 6 openings. Most of them are pretty highly desired and will have several good candidates who would take the job. They just have to pick the right one. We have not done that the last two times.

Define "highly desired". Most years there's around 10 power 6 openings. Most of them are pretty highly desired and will have several good candidates who would take the job. They just have to pick the right one. We have not done that the last two times.
For use of terms, I would put "highly desired" as one that a school would have a decent shot at one or both of these: A demonstrated success at another Power5/6 willing to take the job, or a known up and comer at the mid-major level well known in the industry (even if not by fans).

The issue here isn't that we have had two (and maybe three) bad hires in a row. Most of us know that. It's that the consecutive bad hires is making the next hire more difficult than it could or should be.

Agree with that bolded part completely. Mostly agree with the last but I think there would have been promising mid-major coaches with a track record who would have accepted this job.

Agree with that bolded part completely. Mostly agree with the last but I think there would have been promising mid-major coaches with a track record who would have accepted this job.
Yes, but I am looking forward and wonder if we will have access to the kind of candidates we may have had in the last hire. I hope so, but I am not confident.

Of course not, but what was done to Tubby ten years ago has contributed to the accelerating erosion of the program since. I would bet money, and I'm cheap, that firing Tubby did impact their ability to hire a better and more experienced coach than Pitino turned out to be.
I agree with that - and it was because Norwood was still the AD they would have to work for.

I agree with that - and it was because Norwood was still the AD they would have to work for.
I wasn't aware that Norwood's reputation was that bad before his exploits here were exposed. It's a reasonable conclusion that Norwood was as much the problem as anything else.

So does anyone have any insight on how good Wrightsell can be?

So does anyone have any insight on how good Wrightsell can be?

Well, I don't know much about him but, from looking at his numbers, he has a scorer's mentality. He's not gun-shy (13.5 shot attempts per game last season; only 3 free throw attempts per game though). He was 4th in his conference in overall field goal attempts and 5th in three point attempts (3rd in 3 pointers made). He was also 4th in steals. He was first team all conference (Big West) this past season and also made the All Conference Tournament team.

I think he'll be an aggressive player and scorer and we certainly can use that.

Yes, but I am looking forward and wonder if we will have access to the kind of candidates we may have had in the last hire. I hope so, but I am not confident.
If I am going to spend time hoping - I am going to hope we don't need to go looking.

For use of terms, I would put "highly desired" as one that a school would have a decent shot at one or both of these: A demonstrated success at another Power5/6 willing to take the job, or a known up and comer at the mid-major level well known in the industry (even if not by fans).

The issue here isn't that we have had two (and maybe three) bad hires in a row. Most of us know that. It's that the consecutive bad hires is making the next hire more difficult than it could or should be.
The job might have slipped from an above average power 6 job when we hired Tubby to a below average one. But it's still not in the bottom bin with jobs like Oregon State, Washington State, Northwestern, Cal etc. They will have their choice of solid candidates a year from now if necessary. Which appears increasingly likely.

Delusional
You don't think equal work with a higher salary and greater job security makes something a very good job?

I think that statement is true about accountants, engineers, carpenters and basketball coaches.

I guess it's delusion, but job security and salary are two things I factor in when looking for a job.

Top Bottom