Gophers in CSUF G transfer Latrell Wrightsell Jr. top 3

This definitely wasn’t considered a good job if it was we wouldn’t have hired back to back coaches with minimum to no head coaching experience. I think we as fans overrate this job. This is an attractive job for a low to mid major HC but not to the level we think

Even if this was an average or bad job the way Ben Johnson has performed here is beyond atrocious. It's the worst 2 year stretch in program history. Literally no one could do worse than Ben has done. He's been that bad.

After seeing a few things like this tweet (sorry, not sure how to display it in my posting), I'm not holding my breath on Wrightsell. Fellow Omahan and Gonzaga transfer Hunter Sallis is also looking at Nebraska. A combo deal with these friends might be in the cards.

After seeing a few things like this tweet (sorry, not sure how to display it in my posting), I'm not holding my breath on Wrightsell. Fellow Omahan and Gonzaga transfer Hunter Sallis is also looking at Nebraska. A combo deal with these friends might be in the cards.
Yeah, doesn’t sound good.

This definitely wasn’t considered a good job if it was we wouldn’t have hired back to back coaches with minimum to no head coaching experience. I think we as fans overrate this job. This is an attractive job for a low to mid major HC but not to the level we think

There have been plenty of quality coaches interested in this job that could have been better than what the Gophers have hired. The Gophers just continue to make stupid hires based on stupid reasoning.

There have been plenty of quality coaches interested in this job that could have been better than what the Gophers have hired. The Gophers just continue to make stupid hires based on stupid reasoning.
How do we actually know the interested qualified coaches? Unless your talking bout the Mountain West guys. Which still proves my point that we are attractive to a low to mid major coach looking to take the next step but I doubt we would be the final destination for that guy. We wouldn’t never get the coach that is the hottest name. Football pulled it off with Fleck but he wasn’t getting interest from schools in a tier higher at the time

How do we actually know the interested qualified coaches? Unless your talking bout the Mountain West guys. Which still proves my point that we are attractive to a low to mid major coach looking to take the next step but I doubt we would be the final destination for that guy. We wouldn’t never get the coach that is the hottest name. Football pulled it off with Fleck but he wasn’t getting interest from schools in a tier higher at the time

What's wrong with the Mountain West coaches or even mid major coaches? Most successful head coaches at P6 schools come from those levels. Only the blue bloods really steal head coaches from other P6 programs. And if a head coach comes here and gets taken away because he had success, who cares? The program will be in a better place than getting railroaded every night and finishing in last place.

Hiring a successful head coach from a lower level is significantly smarter than hiring a mid to low level assistant with little to no head coaching experience, and that has been our last 2 hires. The Gophers could have and should have done better.

What's wrong with the Mountain West coaches or even mid major coaches? Most successful head coaches at P6 schools come from those levels. Only the blue bloods really steal head coaches from other P6 programs. And if a head coach comes here and gets taken away because he had success, who cares? The program will be in a better place than getting railroaded every night and finishing in last place.

Hiring a successful head coach from a lower level is significantly smarter than hiring a mid to low level assistant with little to no head coaching experience, and that has been our last 2 hires. The Gophers could have and should have done better.
Nothing is wrong with Mountain West coaches. I wanted Smith or Gates who were low & mid major coaches. My original point was this isn’t a good job. We won’t ever get the cream of the crop coach during the hiring cycle. We don’t pay enough or have the financial backers.

Nothing is wrong with Mountain West coaches. I wanted Smith or Gates who were low & mid major coaches. My original point was this isn’t a good job. We won’t ever get the cream of the crop coach during the hiring cycle. We don’t pay enough or have the financial backers.
I need more clarity. There are 360+- D1 HC's. Only about 80 are P6. There are another 10-20 programs that are fairy attractive that are not P6. That leaves 270+- or so D1 HC's who are not in P6 (or other good programs) that would love ANY P6 HC position. That says highly desirable to me. Even if I'm coach of the year in let's say the Mountain West. If the Gophers offer, I go. Why? It's P6. Also, most likely a pay raise with a big buy out if I flop. Probably not getting that at most (or any) Mountain West school.

I need more clarity. There are 360+- D1 HC's. Only about 80 are P6. There are another 10-20 programs that are fairy attractive that are not P6. That leaves 270+- or so D1 HC's who are not in P6 (or other good programs) that would love ANY P6 HC position. That says highly desirable to me. Even if I'm coach of the year in let's say the Mountain West. If the Gophers offer, I go. Why? It's P6. Also, most likely a pay raise with a big buy out if I flop. Probably not getting that at most (or any) Mountain West school.
If that's the only P6 offer that you think you are going to get- then you likely go. However, guys that take a job realize that if they bomb in their first P6 job- that's probably all she wrote. So coaches are going to be selective about what P6 job they take and when they take it. This is a tough job and you had better be ready.

Alabama , Alabama or Minnesota ?
At Alabama , I get paid or at Minnesota I get nothing
What Should I do ?
Yep, that's the Alabama pitch. $$$ and a better program.

Our pitch is that he gets more PT.

So any word if he’s still visiting Gophers tomorrow or did he commit to Nebraska today?

That seems like a weird exception to make (Mountain West) to then talk about football being the exception getting a guy from the MAC. I'd guess the "hottest names" in coaching will be coming from the smaller conferences.

As far as being the final destination, lets concern ourselves with that when we have someone good enough that other people want them. We're a Big 10 school with enormous resources and talent-rich base. If you start winning, the job pretty quickly becomes one of the better jobs.

I think we should look at RAEQUAN BATTLE as well from Montana State.
  • PTS
    Tied-83rd
  • REB
    150+
  • AST
    150+
  • FG%
    150+
Isn't Montana State one of the teams that turned down Ben for their head coaching gig?

The Mountain West is not a "low major" and the only significant coaches who have left voluntarily since 1985 are Brenda Frese and the women's softball coach. The "stepping stone" worry is massively over-blown. Tubby had chances to leave for UVa and a few other places. He didn't.

The Mountain West is not a "low major" and the only significant coaches who have left voluntarily since 1985 are Brenda Frese and the women's softball coach. The "stepping stone" worry is massively over-blown. Tubby had chances to leave for UVa and a few other places. He didn't.
Stepping stone is completely irrelevant. If a coach can step, the program has improved. We won. Period.

I don’t recall Tubby being courted by Virginia.

Has not committed from what I’m seeing and don’t think the visit is scheduled for today.

doing a little digging on this

sounds like the dates of Wrightsells other visits (MN & Bama) are happening on the 16th and 18th. But hadnt been confirmation on which will happen first. Although some have said Wrightsell will be on campus this weekend so would maybe thing its us tomorrow and Bama Tuesday 🤷‍♂️

also Hunter Salis, another Nebraska native guard and transfer from Gonzaga, has a visit date set with Nebraska next weekend. Sounds like its for the entire weekend(also Nebbys spring game)

some rumblings that Wrightsell/Salis combo has picked up some steam (although that is probably mostly just hot air coming from Husker fans)

doing a little digging on this

sounds like the dates of Wrightsells other visits (MN & Bama) are happening on the 16th and 18th. But hadnt been confirmation on which will happen first. Although some have said Wrightsell will be on campus this weekend so would maybe thing its us tomorrow and Bama Tuesday 🤷‍♂️

also Hunter Salis, another Nebraska native guard and transfer from Gonzaga, has a visit date set with Nebraska next weekend. Sounds like its for the entire weekend(also Nebbys spring game)

some rumblings that Wrightsell/Salis combo has picked up some steam (although that is probably mostly just hot air coming from Husker fans)
Too bad the weather changed, if that’s the case.

I doubt any recruit who doesn’t know it gets cold in MN in winter would even have the minimum GPA to be eligible, LOL

Top Bottom