Gophers in CSUF G transfer Latrell Wrightsell Jr. top 3

I think Carrington made a huge improvement, he was injured a good part of the B1G season, at the end he was starting to play. He has the physical tools, I watched the matchup between Carrington and Essegian in their last game against each other pretty closely, from that outing I would take Carrington every day of the week. He needs some consistency he's got a big upside that is starting to show. It hurts that Henley left but that is the brave new world.
There definitely was some improvement, I was too harsh. Unfortunately he wasn't able to take advantage of all of those available minutes because of his multiple injuries. I'm still optimistic about his future.

I truly believe that the Twin Cities would fully support a winner.....put a good product on the floor and the NIL money will start showing up. Right now, it's a dumpster fire.

Imagine the boosters that would've shelled out money when the Barn was packed and the place to be. I would be willing to bet the money would've been flowing when Mychal Thompson was playing (who knows....maybe it was?)
I agree with you. Clem's and Borton's Final Four teams show there is a lot of love and support for Gopher teams. But the problem is how to get back to those days. It's harder for a program like the Gophers. Yes, you have the portal to restock, but at the same time you've got to worry about guys you've recruited or developed. It just seems like Ben is running up a hill made of sand and it's going to keep getting steeper.

At the very least, Ben's looking for guards this year.

Some of the folks in here think it was calculated decision by him to not go after more guards. If that's true, it's exponentially scarier to me than if he just missed on recruits. I'd rather have a coach who missed on a few recruits than a coach who fundamentally doesn't understand the game.
If you have zero information and just go by "what some folks here think", of course you can arrive safely to your safe sweet spot. "Waaaaa it's so scary ... "

Only NIL will improve that. I have my people looking at small NILs after we expand into the upper Midwest. We will spin it off the Chicago market. We will indeed fully utilize their name and image in advertising.

Maybe for Creighton but not with Nebraska. 60% for us. We may know this weekend.
Matched ya on my next comment. Would be surprising to see him go to NEB, specifically with all of their recent commits.

Would be a little surprised as well if Bama were that invested.

I truly believe that the Twin Cities would fully support a winner.....put a good product on the floor and the NIL money will start showing up. Right now, it's a dumpster fire.

Imagine the boosters that would've shelled out money when the Barn was packed and the place to be. I would be willing to bet the money would've been flowing when Mychal Thompson was playing (who knows....maybe it was?)
I don’t agree. I think we are conservative as a institution when it comes to paying money to keep up with others. Tubby cried for a practice facility while we were going to the tourney n it didn’t happen until midway through Pitino’s tenure. I will say money was flowing probably during Thompson days but that’s a different set of boosters (most are probably in their 80s or 90s) & it was pre 1998 scandal

What is your source for "basically shutting down" guard recruiting after Samuels?
Cjbfbp.

Cjbfpb. who tells us he monitored each and every one of 1800 portal entries last year. CBJ made a "conscious decision" to quit adding after he garnered Samuels.

Take it up wirh him

Check the transfer thread from last year after Samuels commits. It's completely crickets as far as any news of us reaching out to more players, and is just a bunch of us Gopherholers arguing.

Funnily enough, you are mocking GopherWeatherGuy for being concerned about our ability to bring the ball up the floor, and I am concerned about our lack of guard commits because of the chance that Carrington or Cooper is hurt (but also relieved we got Samuels).
Is there a rule about announcing your contacts -- reaching out --? Just asking because I don't know. Seems doughtful though.

Cjbfbp.

Cjbfpb. who tells us he monitored each and every one of 1800 portal entries last year. CBJ made a "conscious decision" to quit adding after he garnered Samuels.

Take it up wirh him
Didn't ask for your source. Pointless.

I agree with you. Clem's and Borton's Final Four teams show there is a lot of love and support for Gopher teams. But the problem is how to get back to those days. It's harder for a program like the Gophers. Yes, you have the portal to restock, but at the same time you've got to worry about guys you've recruited or developed. It just seems like Ben is running up a hill made of sand and it's going to keep getting steeper.
Much the same for the vast majority of programs.

I don’t agree. I think we are conservative as a institution when it comes to paying money to keep up with others. Tubby cried for a practice facility while we were going to the tourney n it didn’t happen until midway through Pitino’s tenure. I will say money was flowing probably during Thompson days but that’s a different set of boosters (most are probably in their 80s or 90s) & it was pre 1998 scandal
I agree as to the University....my point was that the Twin Cities and Minnesota in general would be ripe for NIL opportunities if we had a successful basketball program.

Samuels, at least on paper, was a reasonable choice at the time for Johnson's likely goals: a one-year backup point who would play limited minutes. His mistake was not getting another transfer guard which he could have done. If you look at Johnson's recruiting career (freshmen and transfers as an assistant and head coach), he can't be called a terrible recruiter and he has some advantages as well as disadvantages.
Sadly the chunky Samuels was at best a low D1 player, maybe even D2 where he could have some success in the Ivy League. Good thing he has brains!

If you have zero information and just go by "what some folks here think", of course you can arrive safely to your safe sweet spot. "Waaaaa it's so scary ... "
Your feelings were really hurt by our exchange, wow. For all your internet "tough talk", I wasn't expecting this kind of sloppy effeminate reaction.

Of course I have zero information, I am admitting that I don't know if Ben chose to not recruit more guards or if he failed to do so. How the hell would I know that?

As far as my sweet spot being "waaaa", my take throughout this thread has been I'm happy how Ben is recruiting this offseason and I'm looking forwarding to next year.

I know reading can be hard for you, if you have to, you can go back to mouthing the words again. It might sink in a little better next time, bud.

Sadly the chunky Samuels was at best a low D1 player, maybe even D2 where he could have some success in the Ivy League. Good thing he has brains!
Yeah, I get we needed another guard, but I don't understand the take that Samuels made sense at the time. He is a chubby 6'0" player who cannot shoot and he's always been that. I get we needed another point guard, but that's who got an offer after scouting?

Ivy League is D1. We woulkd have been competitive there this year. Not that we wold have beat Princeton.

Yeah, I get we needed another guard, but I don't understand the take that Samuels made sense at the time. He is a chubby 6'0" player who cannot shoot and he's always been that. I get we needed another point guard, but that's who got an offer after scouting?
Well spoken goes a long way in these here parts

Didn't ask for your source. Pointless.
Why are you telling ME? I haven't weighed in on the subject, although if I were to weigh in, I'd even CBJ wasn't stupid enough to think he had a B1G winner after luring in Taurus Samuels and he could quit there

At least I hope not, that'd be orders of magnitude worse than he just struck out.

Tell cbsjskaks. He's the one spewing nonsense.

Your feelings were really hurt by our exchange, wow. For all your internet "tough talk", I wasn't expecting this kind of sloppy effeminate reaction.

Of course I have zero information, I am admitting that I don't know if Ben chose to not recruit more guards or if he failed to do so. How the hell would I know that?

As far as my sweet spot being "waaaa", my take throughout this thread has been I'm happy how Ben is recruiting this offseason and I'm looking forwarding to next year.

I know reading can be hard for you, if you have to, you can go back to mouthing the words again. It might sink in a little better next time, bud.
Thanks for your reasoned response: "Of course I have zero information."

Well done.

Truth be told, I’m not sure we know who else got offers. Incomplete information lends itself to speculation and wild speculation in areas like recruiting that information is always incomplete. Absent other data, I would agree Ben messed up recruiting but we’re not really sure what went down in not signing a better back up point and getting an experienced scoring guard. I’m not confident in this years portal either but they appear to be trying to get players who can contribute. But in a semi private world, we’re never completely sure.

I agree as to the University....my point was that the Twin Cities and Minnesota in general would be ripe for NIL opportunities if we had a successful basketball program.
Which comes first. The NIL $$ or a winning program.

You also must consider how many Big Ten teams are the only show in town. Madison, Iowa City, Bloomington indiana and on and on.

Thanks for your reasoned response: "Of course I have zero information."

Well done.
Yeah, that was always my stance. There is two options, he either failed in recruiting or failed in understanding his roster. I don't know which reason led to the failure that was our backcourt last year.

That was always my stance. Thanks for taking a big deep breath, drying your eyes out, and reading that post carefully. Collectively, we finally got ya there!

Which comes first. The NIL $$ or a winning program.

You also must consider how many Big Ten teams are the only show in town. Madison, Iowa City, Bloomington indiana and on and on.
Hiring a compent coach comes first. This is considered a very good job (or at least was before Ben Johnson was hired). You need a coach that kids want to play for and not a coach who has zero track record and is learning on the job. That describes both Pitino and Johnson. The fact that Nolan Winter chose to go to Wisconsin speaks volumes here. That has nothing to do with NIL and everything to do with him and his family not trusting to develop Nolan and win basketball games.

Hiring a compent coach comes first. This is considered a very good job (or at least was before Ben Johnson was hired). You need a coach that kids want to play for and not a coach who has zero track record and is learning on the job. That describes both Pitino and Johnson. The fact that Nolan Winter chose to go to Wisconsin speaks volumes here. That has nothing to do with NIL and everything to do with him and his family not trusting to develop Nolan and win basketball games.
Or that he liked the Wisconsin campus and history and didn’t want to be on the same roster as a five star seven foot three guy. Your points are understood but reading the minds of 18 year olds that I’m assuming you don’t know is only campaigning for your point not really adding anything to the conversation that we have not heard. You and most of us are unhappy. We get it. Cut the self-righteousness.

By who? Every coach that has won consistently here has cheated.

Last edited:

Yeah, that was always my stance. There is two options, he either failed in recruiting or failed in understanding his roster. I don't know which reason led to the failure that was our backcourt last year.

That was always my stance. Thanks for taking a big deep breath, drying your eyes out, and reading that post carefully. Collectively, we finally got ya there!
Always your stance ... always means a lot of weaseling. Just not fair nobody understands.

Or that he liked the Wisconsin campus and history and didn’t want to be on the same roster as a five star seven foot three guy. Your points are understood but reading the minds of 18 year olds that I’m assuming you don’t know is only campaigning for your point not really adding anything to the conversation that we have not heard. You and most of us are unhappy. We get it. Cut the self-righteousness.
EG always delivers. Step lightly.

Top Bottom