Gophers guard Both Gach is expected to enter the transfer portal

Well, first, I don't call everything racist. Second, had people actually given Ben Johnson a chance the issue of racism would not be as strongly correlated. As it is, Johnson is just over 2 months into his job and people are whining. Racism has to be considered since Pitino was given a pass, but Johnson is not given the same pass.

If it was Gates and the same thing happen, you might be onto something. It has nothing to do with race, it's always been about the resume.

zzzzzzzz

Aren't you at least interested in why that up today every player, except 1, has entered the portal and why no player from a major div 1 team hasn't joined the Gophers? How many div 1 teams have had this mass exodus of players? Was it because Pitino left? Was it because they didn't see a path to being on a good team? Didn't they want to play for an inexperienced coach? Unless the player tell us why they left all we can do is speculate. Until the new coach, like any new coach in this similar situation, can show us he's capable there will always be those who 2nd guess a new coachs hire.
I am not interested in negative gossip and speculation. I am interested when Ben brings in recruits and I come to the Gopherhole to read about who is here, not who is gone or not coming.

So if Ben does not get any P6 transfers does that mean all the transfers are racist? Are all the Gophers who transferred out of the program racist as well? None of them have given Ben "a chance" therefore they are racist, especially if they go to a program with a white coach. Everyone of those people are speaking their opinions with their actions about BJ and they only gave him 2 months as well.
It depends. Do they openly despise Ben Johnson and think he's incompetent and dressed poorly? I have not read of one of them saying such things.

I have no reason to think he cannot at his moment in time. And unless somebody has a crystal ball handy....they cannot assume a failure.
Like @Holy Man alluded to, the early returns on Coach Johnson are quite unimpressive. Winners are good at winning. Whether it is in retention battles, recruiting battles, public support, basketball games, or whatever, winners compete at everything and produce results. Coach Johnson has produced very few results so far and his big battles (retention, recruiting, and hiring assistant coaches), have been quite unimpressive. Mark Coyle and the U leadership took a sizable risk in hiring Coach Johnson, and so far the risks have borne out.

For the people that say that we shouldn’t expect much of Coach Johnson at this point due to a lack of time onboard, take a look at Indiana or some of the other programs with new coaches. They have won their retention battles and recruiting battles. THAT is the difference between them and Minnesota, and that will lead to things like more wins on the court and in recruiting down the road. Even Coach Pitino has won quite a few retention and recruiting battles early in his time, albeit at an MWC program.

It depends. Do they openly despise Ben Johnson and think he's incompetent and dressed poorly? I have not read of one of them saying such things.
I think you are right to say that "it depends". It certainly does depend on how badly Ben really wanted them and how much he thought they might be willing and able to change to fit what he wants to build. I absolutely cannot believe that he couldn't have used any of them. But he may well have been pretty passive in re-recruiting some of them as may have doubted their fit going forward.

Bottom line- next year will almost certainly be really rough. He is going to have a GREAT fall recruiting class in order for the program to see daylight within 3 years. The players he gets will have to be good players and good fits. Pitino didn't always get good fits, that is for sure.

Did you forget that I framed the bold in the form of a question or do you simply enjoy being dishonest.
"Have you considered they are all tired of the relentless bullshit from so called fans?", you framed it as a question sure, but in a way that implies it is true but that I had never thought about it. Stop backtracking.

Players shouldn't care what people on a message board say. Kind of like how nobody should care about the garbage that you spew. Bite it.
I fully agree with the first sentence. Kind of weird to follow it up with the second sentence as I never claimed anyone should care what I say. I was responding to someone else who is trying to hold the fan base responsible for the current state of the program. If you have something to add, feel free.

"Have you considered they are all tired of the relentless bullshit from so called fans?", you framed it as a question sure, but in a way that implies it is true but that I had never thought about it. Stop backtracking.
No backtrack. Just pointing out how you twisted what I actually said and turned it into something I didn't actually assert. I asked a question. You are free to answer the question. Stop trying to justify your falsehood.

FWIW, Doogie seems to have doubts that Both Gach will actually enter the portal. His sources seem to conflict with Marcus's.
Well, he’s on the Verbal Commits portal list (which seems to be much more up to date than 24/7). I saw his name there before I found it mentioned here. So I believe he’s in the portal.

No backtrack. Just pointing out how you twisted what I actually said and turned it into something I didn't actually assert. I asked a question. You are free to answer the question. Stop trying to justify your falsehood.
Why pose the question in that way then? I think I made my answer clear with every response, it is obviously no. BTW, you posed that question on the back of calling the majority of this board racist because you don't like the criticism you have read. Seems like you have a personal beef with the fan base at the moment, or GH at the least.

How many years did Pitino have his team in or receiving votes for the Top 25 at some point during the season???

Don't see why that matters. This was his most talented team and he still managed to mismanage them. Sure....injuries hurt. But Gabe was the only guy who went down earlyish in the season....and Tre was at worst a lateral move. It was pushing Robbins on the court with a janky ankle that doomed the season when that got way worse. And it happened in the second Illinois game where we were already getting slaughtered. Why make excuses for Pitino's odd handling of the roster? He recruited Sam Freeman. Why was he so against playing him that he instead chose to push Robbins into a season ending injury? And then when Robbins went down and Freeman was forced into extended minutes....guy didn't have any significant time on the court.

Pitino coasted off his name....but it's clear that he didn't have the ability to succeed here. Carr concealed a lot of the issues with the stagnant offense that he ran by doing everything himself. And let's not forget the 2nd half woes where the opposing team took the Gophers to the shed. No halftime adjustments.......nothing. With Carr gone....this year also would have been a disaster even if we had held onto the remainder of the roster.

Why pose the question in that way then? I think I made my answer clear with every response, it is obviously no. BTW, you posed that question on the back of calling the majority of this board racist because you don't like the criticism you have read. Seems like you have a personal beef with the fan base at the moment, or GH at the least.
Now you question why I asked the question in a certain way. Just admit you turned my question into a statement and thus changed what I said. Then move on.

I fully agree with the first sentence. Kind of weird to follow it up with the second sentence as I never claimed anyone should care what I say. I was responding to someone else who is trying to hold the fan base responsible for the current state of the program. If you have something to add, feel free.

You can read my posts. I've read enough of yours to know that where you stand. Anyone pre-bitching about the Ben Johnson tenure needs a reality check.

Now you question why I asked the question in a certain way. Just admit you turned my question into a statement and thus changed what I said. Then move on.
I will certainly now take it as a question, a question we seemingly agree on the answer to since you won't say otherwise. I am glad that is cleared up, thanks!

I will certainly now take it as a question, a question we seemingly agree on the answer to since you won't say otherwise. I am glad that is cleared up, thanks!
Are you always this deceptive? Can you not admit you were wrong?

You can read my posts. I've read enough of yours to know that where you stand. Anyone pre-bitching about the Ben Johnson tenure needs a reality check.
I stand on the side of thinking we rushed the hiring process leaving us short of hiring the best possible candidate, whoever that may have been. I haven't really said anything about Ben as a coach because we don't know anything about Ben as a coach. I had asked for more insight into the style of play he plans on implementing, but was told that was a really entitled question to ask at this point. Where I stand? LOL stop with that tribal talk, we are ALL Gopher fans here, we ALL want them to win, even if some have more pessimistic takes than others at this point.

I like his assistants a whole lot. I like the tone and focus on character. I like the quiet nature. I like having a smart coach. We actually have a chance to build a foundation.
You have to give him time for sure but from a fan perspective it is going to be a long term turnaround, with the results we have seen in the last decade that is just hard to swallow. It is pretty obvious that Johnson isn't going to provide a quick fix and we probably won't see anything until year 3 at the earliest. Might be time to take a sabbatical from Gopher basketball.

Don't see why that matters. This was his most talented team and he still managed to mismanage them. Sure....injuries hurt. But Gabe was the only guy who went down earlyish in the season....and Tre was at worst a lateral move. It was pushing Robbins on the court with a janky ankle that doomed the season when that got way worse. And it happened in the second Illinois game where we were already getting slaughtered. Why make excuses for Pitino's odd handling of the roster? He recruited Sam Freeman. Why was he so against playing him that he instead chose to push Robbins into a season ending injury? And then when Robbins went down and Freeman was forced into extended minutes....guy didn't have any significant time on the court.

Pitino coasted off his name....but it's clear that he didn't have the ability to succeed here. Carr concealed a lot of the issues with the stagnant offense that he ran by doing everything himself. And let's not forget the 2nd half woes where the opposing team took the Gophers to the shed. No halftime adjustments.......nothing. With Carr gone....this year also would have been a disaster even if we had held onto the remainder of the roster.
This is spot on. Unrelated to the above, in regard to racism, white guys are judged on their potential, minorities are judged on their accomplishments. So Pitino was given a pass and Ben is dragged over the coals when neither had a deep resume. Pitino's shortcomings became apparent quite early on but he was given extended contracts despite them because I guess of his potential. We'll see how Ben is treated...but so far, he hasn't been given any kind of benefit of the doubt that would be given a white dude.

This is spot on. Unrelated to the above, in regard to racism, white guys are judged on their potential, minorities are judged on their accomplishments. So Pitino was given a pass and Ben is dragged over the coals when neither had a deep resume. Pitino's shortcomings became apparent quite early on but he was given extended contracts despite them because I guess of his potential. We'll see how Ben is treated...but so far, he hasn't been given any kind of benefit of the doubt that would be given a white dude.
Other than being hired you mean... Which is all about potential of being a Head Coach at a B1G program and not about his "accomplishments", since he's never been a Head Coach, even at a lower level.

Gach is a take it or leave it guy but Ben is going to have to land the 747 on the aircraft carrier with the 2022 class. Without a homerun the steps to success get fairly cloudy.

FWIW - Ben Johnson did not hire Ben Johnson to be the HC of the Gophers.

Mark Coyle hired Ben Johnson to be the HC of the Gophers.

I get a sense that Johnson is catching flak from people who are mad about the hiring decision. That is not Johnson's fault. he was offered a job and he said "yes."

If you think Johnson was the wrong choice, then direct your ire at the person who made the hiring decision.

that person's name is Mark Coyle.

Plenty of people on this board heaped scorn on Joel Maturi for hiring Brewster.

maybe Coyle deserves some scorn for this decision.

Me - I'm going to cut Johnson some slack until I see what the final roster looks like, and I see what his team looks like on the floor.

Like @Holy Man alluded to, the early returns on Coach Johnson are quite unimpressive. Winners are good at winning. Whether it is in retention battles, recruiting battles, public support, basketball games, or whatever, winners compete at everything and produce results. Coach Johnson has produced very few results so far and his big battles (retention, recruiting, and hiring assistant coaches), have been quite unimpressive. Mark Coyle and the U leadership took a sizable risk in hiring Coach Johnson, and so far the risks have borne out.

For the people that say that we shouldn’t expect much of Coach Johnson at this point due to a lack of time onboard, take a look at Indiana or some of the other programs with new coaches. They have won their retention battles and recruiting battles. THAT is the difference between them and Minnesota, and that will lead to things like more wins on the court and in recruiting down the road. Even Coach Pitino has won quite a few retention and recruiting battles early in his time, albeit at an MWC program.

And just so you know. None of this has anything to do with Ben.

I have been hard on him so far too, but it is the University and lack of winning that has people moving on with the free transfer year. Let's be honest once, this school has produced mostly losers for the better part of 2 decades now. Things won't change until wins come.

Guys are leaving because of that, and the fact that the talent on this team looks like it may be of mid major caliber next year. Who wants to stick around for that if they have a chance to go somewhere and win?

Success will have to be born here with a culture of tough defense, smart play, and getting more out of less. Until this happens, don't expect any coach to bring big recruits here. Win with less is THE ONLY way this thing turns around. Will it happen with Johnson? I don't know. But IMO, it is the only way things get better.

Gach is a take it or leave it guy but Ben is going to have to land the 747 on the aircraft carrier with the 2022 class. Without a homerun the steps to success get fairly cloudy.

I wouldn't expect it.

Ben Johnson will have to make the NCAA tournament with a roster full of nobodies, 3-star type players and fringe power 5 guys before any top 150 kids decide to come here. There is no reason for a kid like that to come to the U. When you have offers from successful programs, or a team that generally finishes 9-13th in the Big Ten, which one are you choosing?

FWIW - Ben Johnson did not hire Ben Johnson to be the HC of the Gophers.

Mark Coyle hired Ben Johnson to be the HC of the Gophers.

I get a sense that Johnson is catching flak from people who are mad about the hiring decision. That is not Johnson's fault. he was offered a job and he said "yes."

If you think Johnson was the wrong choice, then direct your ire at the person who made the hiring decision.

that person's name is Mark Coyle.

Plenty of people on this board heaped scorn on Joel Maturi for hiring Brewster.

maybe Coyle deserves some scorn for this decision.

Me - I'm going to cut Johnson some slack until I see what the final roster looks like, and I see what his team looks like on the floor.

Yep, i'm in the same boat. I didn't love the hire but I root for former Gophers regardless of what they do, I'm sure as hell going to cheer for a former Gopher when he is coaching our team. That doesn't mean I'm not going to point out things that bother me and it doesn't mean I won't criticize him.

But I am cheering for Ben as a fellow Gopher and as our coach. I hope for the best.

I wouldn't expect it.

Ben Johnson will have to make the NCAA tournament with a roster full of nobodies, 3-star type players and fringe power 5 guys before any top 150 kids decide to come here. There is no reason for a kid like that to come to the U. When you have offers from successful programs, or a team that generally finishes 9-13th in the Big Ten, which one are you choosing?
I agree your scenario is far more likely, the problem is the fan base. Without that class selling season ticket holders and the like is going to be difficult at best. Coyle painted himself and first time coach in one crazy corner.

I realize Gach was bad last year but I do think there is something there. He is a good athlete who appears at times to have good skills.

I actually think there is a better chance Gach ends up being a plus P6 basketball player than Tre Williams.

I agree your scenario is far more likely, the problem is the fan base. Without that class selling season ticket holders and the like is going to be difficult at best. Coyle painted himself and first time coach in one crazy corner.

I know it's not popular to say, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Coyle wasn't also painted into the corner. I think there was pressure on Coyle that had nothing to do with basketball.

Top Bottom