Gophers guard Both Gach is expected to enter the transfer portal

Sure and now Pitino is in Albuquerque. Did you start bitching in month 2 of Richards tenure?
No, it was time for a change in year 8.
As I stated, Pitino was far more qualified for the job than Ben.
I think Pitino will have success in New Mexico.
Nothing , nothing tells me Ben will have success other than he is smart. Apart from that he has shown nothing so far to me.

If he is as lazy as the last 3 coaches (not counting Molnari) we are done.

Nothing , nothing tells me Ben will have success other than he is smart. Apart from that he has shown nothing so far to me.
He hasn't coached a game or practice nor met any recruits in person.

You thinking Pitino will have success in New Mexico is also based on nothing besides posting a 30% winning percentage in the Big Ten.

The team started sliding well before the injuries hit.
Teams do ebb and flow. We pounded Michigan and Michigan St. They recovered. Without the injuries our course very likely is different.
We got smoked by Illinois in the opener. We recovered.

I think Ben is more than capable of running this program and I find it offensive that people are dragging him through the mud in less than 3 months. I find it offensive that people hated him immediately upon being hired. That's not fair and people who have exhibited such actions are very likely racist in nature.
I don’t know if it’s based in race, but I will always have issues with people saying he looks shabby (when he doesn’t), unprofessional (when he doesn’t), and that he’s not working hard (come on now). Feels an awful lot like a micro aggression.

People can agree or disagree whether it was a good hire or not, but I don’t doubt that Ben is going to do what he can to have a program that we are all proud of. I understand that the first few months have not been ideal, but he deserves a chance.

He hasn't coached a game or practice nor met any recruits in person.

You thinking Pitino will have success in New Mexico is also based on nothing besides posting a 30% winning percentage in the Big Ten.
If he had 70% winning percentage he’d still
Be here. So my thinking that is not based on statistics. I saw things your stats do not.

I don’t know if it’s based in race, but I will always have issues with people saying he looks shabby (when he doesn’t), unprofessional (when he doesn’t), and that he’s not working hard (come on now). Feels an awful lot like a micro aggression.

People can agree or disagree whether it was a good hire or not, but I don’t doubt that Ben is going to do what he can to have a program that we are all proud of. I understand that the first few months have not been ideal, but he deserves a chance.
Don’t believe I’ve read anybody suggesting he should be fired.
Coyle did not hire him. The committee did.
It’s done.
The point is there were many better choices
and Ben is off to a pretty slow start. For $2 million a year, no matter who you are... you going to have some critics.
Belichek has more critics.

Smith was supposed to be the messiah. He wasn't hired. People went ballistic.
2 months. Johnson has been here 2 months...and y'all are saying the sky is falling.
As I see it, many people would extend grace if the coach was white, but since he's black there is no grace extended. Deny that all you want, our only comparison is Richard Pitino and Pitino never faced the backlash Johnson has faced.
I understand calling everything racist is currently the way of the world but saying criticism of Ben Johnson is racist is quite the reach.

How many years did he finish in the top 25?

I hear Nebraska will be a pre season top 25 in football again this year!
One? Two? Three? With votes? I dunno.
All were disappointing finishes except year one.
My point is, let’s see if Ben can be even or surpass that miserable threshold. It is not normal. If Ben gets to that Top 25 ranking point I’d guess he may stay there.

Don’t believe I’ve read anybody suggesting he should be fired.
Coyle did not hire him. The committee did.
It’s done.
The point is there were many better choices
and Ben is off to a pretty slow start. For $2 million a year, no matter who you are... you going to have some critics.
Belichek has more critics.
It is done. He is the coach. Mark Coyle did hire him. Nothing anybody can do about it. Write an email to him with your disappointment and suggestions, maybe. I choose to support him as coach (even if I have some heartburn about the upcoming season).

2 months in...

How many years did Pitino have his team in or receiving votes for the Top 25 at some point during the season???
No clue, nor do I care. Our coach is Ben Johnson. You have judged him incompetent over his first two months.

Well said.

How do you come to the conclusion that Johnson has a higher ceiling? Not really disputing it, but not sure how anyone can reasonably make that conclusion without any past history.
Because: (i) he cant recruit MN any worse than the previous coach; (ii) I expect he will connect with his players better than Pitino; (iii) he has a strong Xs and Os assistant; (iv) I think he will be more willing to get down and dirty on the recruiting trail.

I understand calling everything racist is currently the way of the world but saying criticism of Ben Johnson is racist is quite the reach.
Well, first, I don't call everything racist. Second, had people actually given Ben Johnson a chance the issue of racism would not be as strongly correlated. As it is, Johnson is just over 2 months into his job and people are whining. Racism has to be considered since Pitino was given a pass, but Johnson is not given the same pass.

Well, first, I don't call everything racist. Second, had people actually given Ben Johnson a chance the issue of racism would not be as strongly correlated. As it is, Johnson is just over 2 months into his job and people are whining. Racism has to be considered since Pitino was given a pass, but Johnson is not given the same pass.
Who hasn’t or isn’t giving Johnson a chance? Has there been calls for his firing 2 months in? It’s criticism and nothing more. Correlating the criticism to racism based on the timing of the criticism is a reach.

2 months in...
Aren't you at least interested in why that up today every player, except 1, has entered the portal and why no player from a major div 1 team hasn't joined the Gophers? How many div 1 teams have had this mass exodus of players? Was it because Pitino left? Was it because they didn't see a path to being on a good team? Didn't they want to play for an inexperienced coach? Unless the player tell us why they left all we can do is speculate. Until the new coach, like any new coach in this similar situation, can show us he's capable there will always be those who 2nd guess a new coachs hire.

Your facts are wrong. Pitino had the best year in the school’s recent history as a head coach.
Pitino worked under National Championship coaches as an assistant.
His dad is in the basketball Hall of Fame.
Ben has never been a head coach.
Has Ben ever coached on a Top 25 team?
if so it was under Pitino.
Pitino is a bottom 10% coach in conference history. Ben gets his chance to do better now.

FWIW, Doogie seems to have doubts that Both Gach will actually enter the portal. His sources seem to conflict with Marcus's.

I like his assistants a whole lot. I like the tone and focus on character. I like the quiet nature. I like having a smart coach. We actually have a chance to build a foundation.

How many years did Pitino have his team in or receiving votes for the Top 25 at some point during the season???
Wow ! That is the standard ? What about conference contention, a conference title, a elite 8 or final 4. What about doing well enough to sell out the Barn.

Teams do ebb and flow. We pounded Michigan and Michigan St. They recovered. Without the injuries our course very likely is different.
We got smoked by Illinois in the opener. We recovered.
Overall body of work was garbage. He failed here miserably. Next man up.

I'm confident that the straw that stirs the drink, who will be the star of Miracle II, hasn't signed yet.

So if Ben does not get any P6 transfers does that mean all the transfers are racist? Are all the Gophers who transferred out of the program racist as well? None of them have given Ben "a chance" therefore they are racist, especially if they go to a program with a white coach. Everyone of those people are speaking their opinions with their actions about BJ and they only gave him 2 months as well.

Top Bottom