Gophers among favorites to land 4-star 2023 center Dennis Evans

B1G BROTHER Come to the Twin Cities, play in the BIG and with your best friend. You can BUMP with the KAT. Our team will definitely get to the Big Show and Ben and the coaches are such great people that will develop your skills to further your future for the NBA. We love you and you will love Minnesota. GO GOPHERS

Well I wish I had that kind of discipline; I’m more of an every few hours kind of checker.
Imagine if we were in the gym ourselves instead of watching other athletes.

Not even Ben Johnson himself cares this much about getting a recruit. I wouldn't care AT ALL if I was making $40K/week for the next 5 years.

Imagine if we were in the gym ourselves instead of watching other athletes.

Not even Ben Johnson himself cares this much about getting a recruit. I wouldn't care AT ALL if I was making $40K/week for the next 5 years.
If you win, you would make much more than that. He cares and so would you.

If you win, you would make much more than that. He cares and so would you.
Yeah...but let's say I'm Coyle, also making about $40K/week in salary and kickbacks. I'd try to give Johnson 8 years, and I really wouldn't care if he won or lost, as long as my job is safe.

Another just very strange post. 😳

Go Gophers!!
Didn't that Purdue game kinda make you wonder why we waste so much time on all this? It's like chasing our tails. Evans to TCU (or somewhere else) would be the icing on the cake for this week.

Yeah...but let's say I'm Coyle, also making about $40K/week in salary and kickbacks. I'd try to give Johnson 8 years, and I really wouldn't care if he won or lost, as long as my job is safe.
And that type of leader will experience no sustained success. The day you get the job you want shouldn't be your greatest day, it should be what you accomplish with that opportunity that becomes what you are most proud of. Glad people like Coyle and Ben care as much about the outcomes they influence as the income they bring in.

I'm ashamed to admit that I am also. An old guy like me should not care that much about what a 17 year old, whom I've never met, might do.

True. And if Evans chooses to go elsewhere....I won't lose any sleep. But along with some other the guys Johnson has already brought in.....getting a highly touted guy like Evans could signal a BIG shift in the basketball program. A turnaround of a program that has spent the past 25 years in relative squalor. Again....wins are the ultimate determination of whether a team is improving....but it would be hard to look at the roster that Johnson is putting together and not think that things were trending towards very optimistic territory.

True. And if Evans chooses to go elsewhere....I won't lose any sleep. But along with some other the guys Johnson has already brought in.....getting a highly touted guy like Evans could signal a BIG shift in the basketball program. A turnaround of a program that has spent the past 25 years in relative squalor. Again....wins are the ultimate determination of whether a team is improving....but it would be hard to look at the roster that Johnson is putting together and not think that things were trending towards very optimistic territory.
That is very fair. A kid and his parents have the right to make their choice. Choosing Minnesota- puts himself, the staff, and all of us fans in a special place. Everyone put their BEST foot forward. We have NOTHING to feel bad about and I still say, this is the BEST place and avenue for the future for Dennis Evans. The family needs to choose what they see as best for their son. The REALITY is they should look at which head coach and staff, understands who he is, where he comes from, and what he wants to achieve the best. If that is the guideline applied MINNESOTA is the chop choice.

Winners aren't just looking to cash a paycheck. I'm not surprised that's all that would matter to you.

Minnesota: “I’d say my favorite part was definitely watching them practice as well. They run different actions, and they have a different play-style. They definitely play with a lot of energy and at a bit higher pace. Coach (Ben Johnson) loves the fact that I’ll be able to make a defensive presence just with my shot blocking alone coming in. So all I have to do now is start to pick up that offense and get going.”

Hmmmmm

Minnesota: “I’d say my favorite part was definitely watching them practice as well. They run different actions, and they have a different play-style. They definitely play with a lot of energy and at a bit higher pace. Coach (Ben Johnson) loves the fact that I’ll be able to make a defensive presence just with my shot blocking alone coming in. So all I have to do now is start to pick up that offense and get going.”

Hmmmmm
I’m thinking he really appears 50/50 from that read.

636529052355637308-LAFBer-07-26-2015-JC-1-C004-2015-07-25-IMG-PNI-0705-timeless-mo-1-1-4MBDORF1-L647044189-IMG-PNI-0705-timeless-mo-1-1-4MBDORF1.jpg

Ben needs to do this outside of Dennis' house blasting Shania Twain's," you're still the one."

I agree that Dennis is truly 50/50 on his decision. I read that he really didn't know when he would sign (early or later signing period.) Let's say it takes awhile... do the coaching staffs both just keep being active through phone, text, and personal visits?

I agree that Dennis is truly 50/50 on his decision. I read that he really didn't know when he would sign (early or later signing period.) Let's say it takes awhile... do the coaching staffs both just keep being active through phone, text, and personal visits?
Strictly off these quotes I like our chances.

TCU - they are high energy and professional in practice

MN - liked energy and noted play style, talked about his fit in the defense, mentioned Ben, envisioned himself growing into an offensive role

He averaged 11PPG and 10 RPG last year??

Strictly off these quotes I like our chances.

TCU - they are high energy and professional in practice

MN - liked energy and noted play style, talked about his fit in the defense, mentioned Ben, envisioned himself growing into an offensive role
Let's close the deal, Ben! While he "loves the way that they (TCU) play, he seems interested in higher pace to play at the next level.

“Minnesota: I’d say my favorite part was definitely watching them practice as well. They run different actions, and they have a different play-style. They definitely play with a lot of energy and at a bit higher pace. Coach (Ben Johnson) loves the fact that I’ll be able to make a defensive presence just with my shot blocking alone coming in. So all I have to do now is start to pick up that offense and get going.”

“I want to play for a coach who is going to push me hard. A place where I can fit in and really make a difference as I go along. I feel like I’ll be able to develop wherever I play and I can adapt to different playstyles. I’d rather get up and down so I can work on being able to play at a higher pace, at a higher level.”

Winners aren't just looking to cash a paycheck. I'm not surprised that's all that would matter to you.
Anyone will compromise their ideals for millions-of-dollars per year.

Over the years, I get the sense that winning in FB & BB isn't the most important thing at Minnesota. And that's an understatement. A coach or AD isn't going to go out on a limb and rock-the-boat too much on that. (Fleck happens to be a boat-rower...but not even he will advocate for anything that goes against the administration.)

Last edited:

Top Bottom