Gophers’ Kevin Dorsey’s phone stolen at MOA, family says

"Hartley said there is video evidence of the phone being taken from a Mall of America store." - Taken from the OP and is the 3rd paragraph of the link in the OP.

If you are going to continue believing Dorsey is not telling the truth, can you also explain why you don't believe the police are being honest about it too? I do hope whoever posted the vids are made accountable for it and the trio (and the girls involved) learn from this and adjust their lifestyles accordingly.

I quoted directly from the Star Tribune article from yesterday or the day before....read the quotes closely....I think there was some misunderstanding about the quote originally. I don't think the police have released anything conclusive about any video.

Ethos, you are right. It will all come out in the end, which is why the three amegos are rightfully suspended from playing basketball.

This whole fiasco just made recruiting high character players an awful lot harder. Can you imagine how this will be used against us by other teams when they sit down with parents? How many parents are going to say, "I am thrilled to send my son to a school where his teammates are involved in group sex!"???
What has happened is truly the example of a clusterf&€k!
It is already working against us since former Gopher Richard Coffey has been talked to by the StarTribune and their headline was "Father of key Gophers recruit Amir Coffey watches and worries."

If this program is causing concern among a former player who is sending his kid into this program, then imagine the confidence eroding damage this causes to parents not connected to the program.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I quoted directly from the Star Tribune article on yesterday or the day before....read the quotes closely....I think there was some misunderstanding about the quote originally. I don't think the police have released anything conclusive about any video. I'm taking a later article from the Tribune.

+1 - the new article clearly quotes the police officer saying that the police are looking at in-store video from the time Dorsey says the phone was stolen. He does not say what, if anything, the in-store video shows. So, claiming there is "video evidence" of the phone being taken is premature. There may be video evidence - but it may or may not show anything.

The facts are not all in for this story. If the facts back up Dorsey, i will be glad to admit my first impression was wrong.

+1 - the new article clearly quotes the police officer saying that the police are looking at in-store video from the time Dorsey says the phone was stolen. He does not say what, if anything, the in-store video shows. So, claiming there is "video evidence" of the phone being taken is premature. There may be video evidence - but it may or may not show anything.

The facts are not all in for this story. If the facts back up Dorsey, i will be glad to admit my first impression was wrong.

The way the quote was worded from the first page of the thread led me to believe there was pretty solid video evidence that the phone was stolen, which was why I didn't understand the initial comments suspecting that Dorsey was just making up a story about his phone being taken.

"Bloomington Deputy Police Chief Mike Hartley...

...The phone was reported stolen Sunday, two days after the video was posted, but Hartley said there is video evidence of the phone being taken from a Mall of America store on Wednesday, Feb. 24."

So when people said they didn't believe the phone was stolen, it sounded like they were essentially accusing the police chief of lying to cover Dorsey's ass. If there is in fact nothing conclusive out yet, then I guess some of the suspicion makes sense. Maybe the wording of the quote made it ambiguous as to whether there was definitive evidence or not, depending on how it was read.

So here is my question and maybe someone can help answer it.

If we all believe the phone was stolen, that means Dorsey did not post the video. As of now (unless facts change) what was video taped is not illegal and Dorsey is the only one who is clearly able to be identified.

So, do we really believe that the University of Minnesota is suspending 3 players for the season for something that was not done by them (posting the video) and is not illegal? Furthermore, Mason and Dupree are even larger innocent bystanders because not only was it Dorsey's phone used, they may not even be directly involved in the video.

For the university to suspend the players for the season they must have more knowledge/evidence then the public is aware of otherwise suspending 3 players for the season because they were victims of theft smells like a lawsuit to me.

If we all believe the phone was stolen, that means Dorsey did not post the video. As of now (unless facts change) what was video taped is not illegal and Dorsey is the only one who is clearly able to be identified.

So, do we really believe that the University of Minnesota is suspending 3 players for the season for something that was not done by them (posting the video) and is not illegal? Furthermore, Mason and Dupree are even larger innocent bystanders because not only was it Dorsey's phone used, they may not even be directly involved in the video.

For the university to suspend the players for the season they must have more knowledge/evidence then the public is aware of otherwise suspending 3 players for the season because they were victims of theft smells like a lawsuit to me.

Or... the University feels they lack enough knowledge at this point in time to let the players back on the court.

I hope that all three guys can be reinstated to the program and that we can all forgive and forget. However, the university has to protect itself against the unknown in an incident like this and these guys have nothing to complain about.

I think it is safe to assume that the U has evidence/ confirmation that Mason and Dupree were involved in the video.

Or... the University feels they lack enough knowledge at this point in time to let the players back on the court. I hope that all three guys can be reinstated to the program and that we can all forgive and forget. However, the university has to protect itself against the unknown in an incident like this and these guys have nothing to complain about.

Yup. Similar to when Joel suspended Mbakwe and Royce while their cases were pending.

Many if us could lose our jobs if a we were in such a video and it was leaked to the net. But I think, based on what we now know about the video, a case could be made that the suspension could be lifted for the tournament, that it's already sufficiently long.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Many if us could lose our jobs if a we were in such a video and it was leaked to the net. But I think, based on what we now know about the video, a case could be made that the suspension could be lifted for the tournament, that it's already sufficiently long. Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

A teacher had her phone stolen by a student who then posted a bunch of her naked pictures she had sent her husband to social media. Teacher was fired.

Granted, there is a petition for her to get her job back. But she was initially fired.

But again, even if Mason and Durpree were "in" the video, those two literally have done nothing illegal or wrong. You cannot suspend a player for have sexual relations. If we believe the phone was stolen, Mason and Dupree are 100% innocent and Dorsey would be the only one is question because it was his phone and posted on his twitter account.

Also- Royce and Trevor's situations were way different because there was actual litigation/case pending. As of now, there is zero anything pending, so you cannot suspend kids for potential lawsuits.

I also disagree that "many of us" could lose our jobs if we were in such a video. If anyone got fired from their job because someone broke into their house and stole a video and posted it online, you would have a major lawsuit. The difference is, if you the owner of the video chose to willingly post it to a public site and that was to cause harm against your company then there could be an issue.

I guess my point is for the U to take this tough of a stance on all 3 players and not just Dorsey tells me there is way more to the story.

A teacher had her phone stolen by a student who then posted a bunch of her naked pictures she had sent her husband to social media. Teacher was fired.

Granted, there is a petition for her to get her job back. But she was initially fired.

I saw that story, and I personally don't think she should be fired.

I was also reminded of when nudes of Jennifer Lawrence were leaked, and she was (rightfully IMO) portrayed as a victim.

What if a member of the women's basketball team had their nude photos leaked? Would they be a victim of someone else's perverted act? Or a dumbass who never should have taken those pictures to begin with?

But again, even if Mason and Durpree were "in" the video, those two literally have done nothing illegal or wrong. You cannot suspend a player for have sexual relations. If we believe the phone was stolen, Mason and Dupree are 100% innocent and Dorsey would be the only one is question because it was his phone and posted on his twitter account.

Also- Royce and Trevor's situations were way different because there was actual litigation/case pending. As of now, there is zero anything pending, so you cannot suspend kids for potential lawsuits.

I also disagree that "many of us" could lose our jobs if we were in such a video. If anyone got fired from their job because someone broke into their house and stole a video and posted it online, you would have a major lawsuit. The difference is, if you the owner of the video chose to willingly post it to a public site and that was to cause harm against your company then there could be an issue.

I guess my point is for the U to take this tough of a stance on all 3 players and not just Dorsey tells me there is way more to the story.

You may be right but you ma not be. I think you are putting way too much emphasis in your comparison between wrongful dismissal and being benched. Remember, essentially the three have been benched. By your logic, why doesn't Carlos Morris sue for being kicked off the team for what seems to be minor insubordination? Did Charles Buggs have a case earlier in the year?
Playing time is a privilege not a right.

I think your reasoning that there was an unknown component would have more merit if the Gophers were a bubble team. It is easy enough to err on the side of caution when the games don't matter. I also think if the university felt more bad news was coming, the players wouldn't be traveling with the team and sitting on the bench. Instead the U and Pitino would be distancing themselves. The way it currently looks is like the players will be welcomed back next year.

Sure you can. The school can suspend anyone at any time for any reason. Whether they "should" or whether it's "fair" are different arguments, but whether they "can" isn't a point of contention.

It depends whether you are working under terms of at-will employment. In that case, you can be dismissed for any reason and without warning.

We have no idea if the phone was stolen or not. Again, here is what was reported in the last Star Tribune story:

Bloomington Deputy Police Chief Mike Hartley emphasized Thursday that his department is dealing solely with a report of a missing phone and not trying to determine what role, if any, the phone had in the recording of the sex act or the posting of that video on social media.

On Sunday, Dorsey told police the phone was stolen the night of Feb. 24 after he set it down while in House of Hoops, an athletic shoe store at the mall, Hartley said. The video appeared online on Feb. 26.

“Somebody walks up and takes” the phone between 7 and 9 p.m., Hartley said Dorsey reported. Hartley said he does not know why Dorsey waited until Feb. 28 before contacting police.

Hartley said there is in-store video during that time frame, and “we are following up” on what it might show.

This article was from last Friday.

Sure you can. The school can suspend anyone at any time for any reason. Whether they "should" or whether it's "fair" are different arguments, but whether they "can" isn't a point of contention.

It depends whether you are working under terms of at-will employment. In that case, you can be dismissed for any reason and without warning.
With the caveat that it isn't for discriminatory or illegal reasons.

I need to review the evidence before rendering judgment on this.

That depends on the team rules. I don't know what the players are told about proper and improper conduct. I don't know what rules may exist regarding off-court behavior. But, from a coaches' perspective - If I learned that one of my players was having group sex in front of witnesses - and it was taped - and two more players watched the whole thing - I as a coach would be really bleeped off. That is not the type of behavior that coaches want from their players during the season.

Again - if some anonymous poli sci major did this - it's not a story. But when D1 scholarship athletes do it, it's a big story.

That depends on the team rules. I don't know what the players are told about proper and improper conduct. I don't know what rules may exist regarding off-court behavior. But, from a coaches' perspective - If I learned that one of my players was having group sex in front of witnesses - and it was taped - and two more players watched the whole thing - I as a coach would be really bleeped off. That is not the type of behavior that coaches want from their players during the season. Again - if some anonymous poli sci major did this - it's not a story. But when D1 scholarship athletes do it, it's a big story.
Spot on. This is what all the apologists just don't compute.

With the caveat that it isn't for discriminatory or illegal reasons.
This whole gipoy sex freedom is laughable. Hey go have sex at the Coffman Union back stair, they can't do anything it is just two consenting adults. Wake up .

This whole gipoy sex freedom is laughable. Hey go have sex at the Coffman Union back stair, they can't do anything it is just two consenting adults. Wake up .

The video was recorded in a public place? Surprised there weren't witnesses.

Huh?

You quote me for a reason there?

I did not say or imply anything you're insinuating.

That depends on the team rules. I don't know what the players are told about proper and improper conduct. I don't know what rules may exist regarding off-court behavior. But, from a coaches' perspective - If I learned that one of my players was having group sex in front of witnesses - and it was taped - and two more players watched the whole thing - I as a coach would be really bleeped off. That is not the type of behavior that coaches want from their players during the season.

Again - if some anonymous poli sci major did this - it's not a story. But when D1 scholarship athletes do it, it's a big story.

So it's just the type of sex that was the problem? Why is one man, one woman, missionary sex not a problem, but having a threesome while others watch would piss you off? What if one of the players was gay? I suppose it's possible Pitino could have such restrictions, but if he did, I would think that was kind of stupid of him. I would find it odd if my coach gave me a pre-approved listed of sexual positions and fetishes in which I was allowed to engage in private. Would he allow his players to drink beer, but suspend them if he found out they mixed vodka and scotch?

The only reason this is a big deal is because the video was posted publicly and now other people know about it. The only thing wrong with making a video is the possibility that it gets leaked to the public. I don't doubt that there are other division I basketball players who have had group sex or have been recorded having sex, but no one else knows about it, and thus no one else cares, and they are still playing basketball.

So it's just the type of sex that was the problem? Why is one man, one woman, missionary sex not a problem, but having a threesome while others watch would piss you off? What if one of the players was gay? I suppose it's possible Pitino could have such restrictions, but if he did, I would think that was kind of stupid of him. I would find it odd if my coach gave me a pre-approved listed of sexual positions and fetishes in which I was allowed to engage in private. Would he allow his players to drink beer, but suspend them if he found out they mixed vodka and scotch?

The only reason this is a big deal is because the video was posted publicly and now other people know about it. The only thing wrong with making a video is the possibility that it gets leaked to the public. I don't doubt that there are other division I basketball players who have had group sex or have been recorded having sex, but no one else knows about it, and thus no one else cares, and they are still playing basketball.

Ok, this is the sort of issue that I'm compelled to weigh in on.

If one of Pitino's players mixed vodka and scotch, a lot would depend on the proportion of scotch to vodka and the particular variety of scotch chosen for this little expeiment. I'd expect Pitino to be skeptical, with a bias toward suspension, but open-minded enough to give it a go - no chaser.

I don't know why this is so hard for people to follow. You can get suspended for being late to practice or for not going to class, etc, The players are suspended for what went down and now there is an investigation on the stolen phone by the police.

Who knows what exactly happened - was everyone of age, did everyone know they were being recorded, who actually posted the video, etc. this takes time for the university to clear up. But you don't have to break the law to violate team rules.

I don't know why this is so hard for people to follow. You can get suspended for being late to practice or for not going to class, etc, The players are suspended for what went down and now there is an investigation on the stolen phone by the police.

Who knows what exactly happened - was everyone of age, did everyone know they were being recorded, who actually posted the video, etc. this takes time for the university to clear up. But you don't have to break the law to violate team rules.

This is what I disagree with. I do not believe that a player can be suspended if they did NOTHING wrong. People keep saying a coach can suspend players for no reason which I find to be false. Yes you can be suspended for being late to practice and the reason being is because YOU ARE LATE TO PRACTICE. Mason and Dupree (from the evidence we have or know about) have done nothing wrong. Sex is not illegal no matter how many people it is with assuming consent is there. You cannot suspend a player for sex, especially when the video was not on their phones and they were not the ones who posted it.

I have not seen the video nor has the reason for suspension been mentioned, so my belief would be they were suspended for something we the public do not know about yet related to the video/night of the video. Does the video show booze in it? Does it show drugs in it? Was the girl underage? Is the girl already telling the U she did not consent? Maybe their was a curfew that night and video proves they broke curfew. Regardless there is more to the story for Mason and Dupree for them to be suspended for the whole season other than having sex.

This is what I disagree with. I do not believe that a player can be suspended if they did NOTHING wrong.

They did do something wrong. We just don't know what they did and no one involved cares if you or I know what they did.

This is what I disagree with. I do not believe that a player can be suspended if they did NOTHING wrong. People keep saying a coach can suspend players for no reason which I find to be false. Yes you can be suspended for being late to practice and the reason being is because YOU ARE LATE TO PRACTICE. Mason and Dupree (from the evidence we have or know about) have done nothing wrong. Sex is not illegal no matter how many people it is with assuming consent is there. You cannot suspend a player for sex, especially when the video was not on their phones and they were not the ones who posted it.

I have not seen the video nor has the reason for suspension been mentioned, so my belief would be they were suspended for something we the public do not know about yet related to the video/night of the video. Does the video show booze in it? Does it show drugs in it? Was the girl underage? Is the girl already telling the U she did not consent? Maybe their was a curfew that night and video proves they broke curfew. Regardless there is more to the story for Mason and Dupree for them to be suspended for the whole season other than having sex.

At the very least, they were suspended for being idiots. Ultimately, if that is the only reason, THEY WERE SUSPENDED FOR BEING IDIOTS. And that ain't nothing. This isn't a court of law. Get a clue.

You and others don't think it's fair? Too bad. This university needs ZERO bad press right now. For fu*ks sake, the GDMFing AD just got canned for being a lech. They are trying to raise $190M for these idiots. All they're asking is for them not to be idiots so Joe Rich Guy bible banger will open up his purse. Having team wide gang bangs ain't the right way to do that. I don't give an eff if it's 100% legal.

Top Bottom