Gophers’ Kevin Dorsey’s phone stolen at MOA, family says

As I said above, I don't know what the team rules are, or how they are written. But, I'm willing to bet, based on my experience dealing with coaches - that rule #1 is don't embarrass the team or the school. by definition, a video sex party is embarrassing. It shows poor judgement.

People on this board keep saying that "you can't punish someone just for having sex."

Dorsey, Mc Brayer and Mason aren't just somebody. They are Division 1 College BB players on scholarship at a public university. Like it or not, they are held to different standards of conduct. They answer to a different authority.

Exactly. It is a privilege to wear the uniform and be a member of a D1 team. They are representing their school. So they can be suspended for an embarrassing situation that makes the u look bad. They weren't arrested for group sex just suspended.

Many years ago when I was in college (not a D-1 school) one of the basketball players got suspended for whipping the bird out the window of the bus to a group of rival fans as the team was leaving the field house of the opposing school. There wasn't any law broken but he embarrassed the coach and the coach got pissed and he was out for a game.

Many years ago when I was in college (not a D-1 school) one of the basketball players got suspended for whipping the bird out the window of the bus to a group of rival fans as the team was leaving the field house of the opposing school. There wasn't any law broken but he embarrassed the coach and the coach got pissed and he was out for a game.
But no laws were broken!!!!!!!!!

And most would agree flipping someone off in public is not okay. Would you be okay with suspending said player if in the privacy of his own home he flipped off his dog?

Yes, if Gophers players were having sex in public (which once it was posted to social media that's what it was) then it is a comparable example. But it's troubling someone can be suspended for non illegal actions done in the privacy of their own home. Which is where if the phone being stolen becomes tricky as well how you treat Mason and McBrayer.

That all said, totally get the 4 game suspension and why the U had to do it and that it was a lost season anyways. So no issues overall on my part. I more disagree if it extends into next year or with people who want to say these are bad kids because of this. That bothers me.

And most would agree flipping someone off in public is not okay. Would you be okay with suspending said player if in the privacy of his own home he flipped off his dog?

Yes, if Gophers players were having sex in public (which once it was posted to social media that's what it was) then it is a comparable example. But it's troubling someone can be suspended for non illegal actions done in the privacy of their own home. Which is where if the phone being stolen becomes tricky as well how you treat Mason and McBrayer.

That all said, totally get the 4 game suspension and why the U had to do it and that it was a lost season anyways. So no issues overall on my part. I more disagree if it extends into next year or with people who want to say these are bad kids because of this. That bothers me.

Proving again why you are one of my favorite posters on this board. Well said.

If someone breaks into Pitino's house while he is doing the same thing Dorsey was, and the intruder films it and posts on the internet, most of you believe then Pitino should be suspended? What an asinine argument.

Who said they were suspended for breaking the law? They were suspended for violating team rules.

“With the privilege of being a member of the University of Minnesota basketball program there are expectations and standards to which we hold our student-athletes accountable, and they have failed to do so,” head coach Richard Pitino said.

If someone breaks into Pitino's house while he is doing the same thing Dorsey was, and the intruder films it and posts on the internet, most of you believe then Pitino should be suspended? What an asinine argument.
You've already made this not analogous

You've already made this not analogous

ok good point.....

Intruder breaks into Pitinos house and steals a bunch of DVD's. One of them happens to be a show of Pitino and his wife and her friend similar to what Dorsey was going, and the guy shares it on the internet.

I can guarantee there is no way the U punishes Pitino for being a victim of theft.

If Pitino had a tape of himself in an orgy, and it was released to the public, it's difficult to imagine he wouldn't be suspended.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

The players are being punished for violation of team rules.

This may be true but can you tell me what team rule was broken? From the facts or so called facts we know, I am unaware of a team rule being broken. I would find it hard to believe team rules state who a player can or cannot have relations with or how many people is considered too many.

I would find it hard to believe team rules state who a player can or cannot have relations with or how many people is considered too many.

Yes, because the fact that they were having sex is what got them suspended.

This may be true but can you tell me what team rule was broken? From the facts or so called facts we know, I am unaware of a team rule being broken. I would find it hard to believe team rules state who a player can or cannot have relations with or how many people is considered too many.
Well for starters I am pretty sure a sexy tape starring your three best guards falls somewhere under conduct detrimental to the team. D! athletes is a job in the real world you can't just go out and embarrass your employer. People get fired all the time for dumb **** they post of social media if anything hopefully this is a plat form where these thee young men can learn that real life decisions can have real life consequences and they can learn from said mistakes and come back to the team.

Well for starters I am pretty sure a sexy tape starring your three best guards falls somewhere under conduct detrimental to the team. D! athletes is a job in the real world you can't just go out and embarrass your employer. People get fired all the time for dumb **** they post of social media if anything hopefully this is a plat form where these thee young men can learn that real life decisions can have real life consequences and they can learn from said mistakes and come back to the team.

You are missing the point; having group sex on camera is not against the law or companies HR rules. You are assuming all of the participants willing agreed to have the video posted. Since when did being a victim warrant suspension?

Erin Andrews should have been disciplined according to your train of thought.[emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are missing the point; having group sex on camera is not against the law or companies HR rules. You are assuming all of the participants willing agreed to have the video posted. Since when did being a victim warrant suspension?

Erin Andrews should have been disciplined according to your train of thought.[emoji52]

Oh yeah, because Erin Andrews totally wanted that recorded. Whether or not the phone was stolen and it was posted, that's a pretty big difference to purposely record or be the victim being unknowingly recorded.

Oh yeah, because Erin Andrews totally wanted that recorded. Whether or not the phone was stolen and it was posted, that's a pretty big difference to purposely record or be the victim being unknowingly recorded.

Not at all. I don't believe Erin was any more mortified than someone who willing recorded something only to have it shown publicly.

At least she was treated appropriately as someone who was victimized.

Not at all. I don't believe Erin was any more mortified than someone who willing recorded something only to have it shown publicly.

At least she was treated appropriately as someone who was victimized.

Even the most naive person who willingly engages in something like this on camera, knows there is a chance it is released. They would have to complete buffoonsfor it not to cross their mind. Erin Andrews was changing in a hotel room. Both victims? Fine, I buy it. The same level of victimization? Not a chance.

Even the most naive person who willingly engages in something like this on camera, knows there is a chance it is released. They would have to complete buffoonsfor it not to cross their mind. Erin Andrews was changing in a hotel room. Both victims? Fine, I buy it. The same level of victimization? Not a chance.

Can't disagree with that at all[emoji41]

ok good point.....

Intruder breaks into Pitinos house and steals a bunch of DVD's. One of them happens to be a show of Pitino and his wife and her friend similar to what Dorsey was going, and the guy shares it on the internet.

I love the direction this thread was going. Who can top this?

IMO I just don't think someone can be penalized for being a victim of THEFT if we believe that is truly what happened. Now with that being said, Dorsey in my mind would be the one at fault due to it being his phone and his twitter account. Mason and Dupree were in attendance but that is about it. They didn't post it, they did not retweet it, as far as we know they do not even have the video on their phone.

I keep bringing up the same points because IMO for Mason and Durpree to both be suspended for the year something else must have happened. Dorsey suspension is somewhat understandable even though I would still argue as of now he was a victim of theft but Mason and Dupree being suspended for the year suggests there is much more to the story we are unaware of. That is all.

IMO I just don't think someone can be penalized for being a victim of THEFT if we believe that is truly what happened. Now with that being said, Dorsey in my mind would be the one at fault due to it being his phone and his twitter account. Mason and Dupree were in attendance but that is about it. They didn't post it, they did not retweet it, as far as we know they do not even have the video on their phone.

I keep bringing up the same points because IMO for Mason and Durpree to both be suspended for the year something else must have happened. Dorsey suspension is somewhat understandable even though I would still argue as of now he was a victim of theft but Mason and Dupree being suspended for the year suggests there is much more to the story we are unaware of. That is all.

You need to read this article!

http://www.cracked.com/article_20605_5-victims-horrible-crimes-who-got-sued-by-criminal.html

As I said earlier, it is about decorum and propriety. They could have filmed themselves taking dump. Filming yourself and friends taking a dump is not illegal. Some people may find it in bad taste or disgusting, but as long as it is private the chance of a widespread outrage is minimal. However, having it posted on the Internet is tantamount to doing that act in public.

Once it goes public, then investigations are warranted because it reflects on associated people, groups and organizations.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

A) They didn't get suspended for having sex, as long as it's all on the up and up (pun maybe intended) they can bang whoever and however they want, hell they can even film it, just don't post it for the world to see, that's where this falls under all sorts behavioral and conduct rules, unless you're a self made person all of us would get canned if our employers caught posting nudes or sex tapes on our social media accounts. Like I said I think the suspensions were appropriate as long as their aren't any more issues they all deserve to comeback next year and hopefully they all learned something and our better kids for it. As far as I know I've never been videotaped having sex, but I did plenty of dumb **** in college so I am all for second chances
B) As for Erin Andrews She was stocked and recorded through the peep hole of her hotel room that's a big difference, although where you have an potential argument is for Mason and McBreyer, it is possible they didn't know they were being recorded or that the tape would be posted, and if Dorsey's phone was stolen than he's a victim too, but not to the same degree as Andrews

Top Bottom